New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-04-28 17:42:05

louis

Flags and FAQs

Perhaps we should be asking some questions frequently about the Space X Mars mission:

1. What will be its legal status? Will the US Government declare it to be happening under their aegis, in line with the Outer Space Treaty?

2. Are there going to be any flags planted on Space X's Mission One? If so what will the flag(s) be?  Here are a few possibilities:

- The flag of the USA
- A Space X company flag.
- A United Nations flag.
- A specially designed Mars mission flag (like the Apollo pendants).
- A Mars Settlement flag (intended to become the flag of an independent Mars community).

Should Mars be a flag-free zone?  Should that be the first law of Mars: "No flags of any kind shall be flown or erected."

I think I am tending to that last proposition...it's a new start so let's dispense with the flags - it's more about the quality of the community you build than symbols, or staking claims or territory.

[I suspect the flag issue is already something Space X are grappling with...]

Last edited by louis (2018-04-28 20:28:44)

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2018-04-28 19:14:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Flags and FAQs

Anyone leaving from Earth will always have a flag attached to who they are even if they claim to be neutral and for mars as the first entities to claim it.
The flag planted on the moon was a US flag but  it was placed in the frame of it being planted for all man kind and not just for the US.

So this flag could be a logo of cola products, Nike brand swish or your favorite beer and not just of a nation... it is still just a symbol that they were here to those that follow...

#3 2018-04-28 19:29:15

kbd512
Administrator

Leave the flags at home.  The spacecraft already have flags painted on them.  How much waving your banner all over the place is required?

#4 2018-04-28 19:46:32

RobertDyck
Website

Well, under UN treaty no nation can claim territory on any celestial body. That means all of Mars is international waters. Under that rule, the spacecraft can carry the flag of a nation, but they can't claim land. So painting a "Old Glory" or the NASA meatball on the spacecraft is appropriate, but not planting a flag.

Of course I like SpaceNut's suggestion of corporate sponsorship. Gene Roddenberry himself appeared in a beer ad. That brand of beer became my favourite.
guinness-foreign-extra-stout.jpg tumblr_ow86e2d1uO1qmtfp8o1_500.jpg

#5 2018-04-28 20:32:52

louis

Well, quite...but why paint a flag on your rocket. 

As I wrote earlier, I would prefer to see a "flag-free" mission.  Just don't mention flags or origin or anything like that...this is a new beginning.  smile  It's for humanity as a whole. Maybe have the rocket launch emblazoned in US flags but let's forget flags when we get to Mars. smile

kbd512 wrote:

Leave the flags at home.  The spacecraft already have flags painted on them.  How much waving your banner all over the place is required?

#6 2018-04-28 22:12:54

Oldfart1939

The United States, I recall, is NOT A SIGNATORY of that treaty. Trust me in this: if the U.S. Government has paid for, or sponsored the mission, there will be a flag. The next country capable of pulling it out of the ground is free to do so.

#7 2018-04-28 22:26:19

RobertDyck
Website

Oldfart1939 wrote:

The United States, I recall, is NOT A SIGNATORY of that treaty.

Outer Space Treaty

Article II

Outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means.

Signatories
350px-Outer_Space_Treaty_parties.svg.png
United States of America signed 27 January 1967, ratified 10 October 1967.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2018-04-28 22:26:58)

#8 2018-04-29 06:47:49

louis

I think it's the Moon Treaty that the USA didn't sign up to - in fact I am not sure that Treaty ever became operative because of a lack of signatories.

Oldfart1939 wrote:

The United States, I recall, is NOT A SIGNATORY of that treaty. Trust me in this: if the U.S. Government has paid for, or sponsored the mission, there will be a flag. The next country capable of pulling it out of the ground is free to do so.

#9 2018-04-29 08:36:56

GW Johnson
Website

Putting a flag on the moon at the landing site is not the same as laying claim to the moon or any part of it.  Same will be true at Mars.  Whoever lands there,  and whenever they get there,  will plant flags.  Inevitable.  And rather meaningless.

Because of that fact of life,  this particular debate seems more like debating angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin,  than anything to do with reality.

Just my opinion,  but there it is.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#10 2018-04-29 10:21:08

RobertDyck
Website

Wikipedia: Moon Treaty

The Agreement Governing the Activities of States on the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies, better known as the Moon Treaty or Moon Agreement, is an international treaty that turns jurisdiction of all celestial bodies (including the orbits around such bodies) over to the international community. Thus, all activities must conform to international law, including the United Nations Charter.

In practice it is a failed treaty because it has not been ratified by any state that engages in self-launched manned space exploration or has plans to do so (e.g. the United States, the larger part of the member states of the European Space Agency, Russia (former Soviet Union), People's Republic of China and Japan) since its creation in 1979, and thus has a negligible effect on actual spaceflight. As of January 2018, it had been ratified by 18 states.
The treaty was finalized in 1979 and entered into force for the ratifying parties in 1984. As of January 2018, 18 states are parties to the treaty, seven of which ratified the agreement and the rest acceded. Four additional states have signed but not ratified the treaty. The L5 Society and others successfully opposed ratification of the treaty by the United States Senate.

The objection to the treaty by the spacefaring nations is held to be the requirement that extracted resources (and the technology used to that end) must be shared with other nations. The similar regime in the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea is believed to impede the development of such industries on the seabed.

#12 2018-04-29 16:38:13

louis

I think the OST is actually very favourable to Mars settlement by companies like Space X. Any revised treaty would seek to tie and bind companies like Space X and make them subject to "expert committees" of scientists.

Board footer