New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-01-04 21:01:02

Number04

Re: Private Companies

I don't know if this has been covered or not, I'm playing a bit of catch up here.

I'm sure there are private companies researching technologies for a Mars mission or that could be used on a Mars Mission. Being that they exist, well, that's wonderful news. But if we don't know about them or their full potential then it's a loss for the both of us.

Is there a list of potential contributors or companies that could use their technologies to aid a Mars mission?

#2 2007-01-05 02:19:46

Rxke

Actual hardware? Not that I know of.

MarsDrive consortium might be a place to look for such things, maybe maybe

#3 2007-01-05 05:00:24

cIclops

Is there a list of potential contributors or companies that could use their technologies to aid a Mars mission?

Specific to human missions? Very few as there's no funding available. However several companies have done studies, Energia for example.

For precursor robotic missions, lots and lots. And many of those technologies would be transferable to human missions. Checkout the host of companies that worked on MGS,  MPF, Odyssey, MEX, MRO, MER and Phoenix, and those now working on MSL and ExoMars.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#4 2007-01-05 06:56:34

Number04

Not necessarily for Mars. As an example; If an artic research company was building living habitats for deep cold I'm sure that their technologies and experience could be used on a Mars mission. They might not even be thinking of the possibilities as of yet.

#5 2007-01-05 20:15:12

C M Edwards

You know, I don't think there's a list.   :shock:

At this point, all such companies are either applying their skills to something else or just beginning the R & D phase.  There are a few worth watching, such as JP Aerospace, which plans to test a manned capsule this year and has given some theoretical consideration to using their launch technology for missions to other planets.  However, as far as I am aware, they are not putting additional resources toward a hypothetical Mars mission at this time.  Just like everyone else, they're focussed on making their system work well enough to get to Earth orbit first.  Mars is a distant goal for them - so distant that it's not even worth spending money on today. 

That looks pretty typical for most of the groups trying to develop new launch technologies. 

Orbit first, Mars later.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

Board footer