New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#1 2004-08-13 16:09:47

EarthWolf

Re: The Outer Space Treaty - Does the OST need revision?

Hello,

I was looking over the OST and I was wondering if anyone thinks it needs revisions. The treaty was signed during a time of intense Cold War competition between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. Both sides were developing combat spacecraft and the Soviets conducted tests of an aircraft cannon for self-defense against U.S. spacecraft. In addition, does the treaty inhibit the commercialization of space?

Cordially,

EarthWolf

" Man will not always stay on the Earth. "

Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

#2 2004-08-13 18:32:53

Cobra Commander

Scrap it! Formally, or just ignore it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#3 2004-08-13 19:23:19

Martian Republic

Hello,

I was looking over the OST and I was wondering if anyone thinks it needs revisions. The treaty was signed during a time of intense Cold War competition between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. Both sides were developing combat spacecraft and the Soviets conducted tests of an aircraft cannon for self-defense against U.S. spacecraft. In addition, does the treaty inhibit the commercialization of space?

Cordially,

EarthWolf

Another reason that the Soviet sign the treaty was they were afraid of private enterprise inside the United States that they would take space and commercialize it and leave them out of the picture.

But as Cobra Commander said, I would just crap the treaty.

Then any future involvement with other nation will be on a case by case discussion and agreement.

But, how you would get away from another space race to control the moon, mars or even the asteroids along with other space assets by different countries, I don’t know.

Larry

#4 2004-08-14 05:30:49

prometheusunbound
Website

But as Cobra Commander said, I would just crap the treaty.

Don't blow out your O-ring.    :laugh:

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#5 2004-08-14 16:15:19

Grypd

The outer space treaty does have some good sections and it did reduce tensions.
But for the devolpement of space it has been the biggest hindrance since someone invented gravity.
If the Moon treaty had been allowed to be ratified by anyone who really mattered it would have killed the future of space.

How Iwould develop the outer space treaty is to allow zones of interest ie if you plant a base either robot or manned in an area and can prove you are using the resources to develop space you should be permanently licensed to carry on that zone until either you stop for 5 years or state you have finished with that zone. Zones would be about 1000 km blocks on the Moon and Mars and a whole asteroid. There should be legislation to stop the use of a zone to disrupt other zones ie no crashing asteroids into other nations areas.

Another way is to develop like a port authority is a Mars or Moon development organisation which can licence users to develop or install items to develop the Moon or Mars. These authorities could then sell licences allowing commercial companies to operate in these locations bringing private enterprise to the Moon or Mars.

But whatever happens I dont think the Outer space treaty will stand for ever sooner or later some country will repeal it. And then others will follow and it will become a bit wild out there unless legislation is put in place soon.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#6 2004-08-14 17:38:11

Morris

Another way is to develop like a port authority is a Mars or Moon development organisation which can licence users to develop or install items to develop the Moon or Mars. These authorities could then sell licences allowing commercial companies to operate in these locations bringing private enterprise to the Moon or Mars.

But whatever happens I dont think the Outer space treaty will stand for ever sooner or later some country will repeal it. And then others will follow and it will become a bit wild out there unless legislation is put in place soon.

How Iwould develop the outer space treaty is to allow zones of interest ie if you plant a base either robot or manned in an area and can prove you are using the resources to develop space you should be permanently licensed to carry on that zone until either you stop for 5 years or state you have finished with that zone. Zones would be about 1000 km blocks on the Moon and Mars and a whole asteroid. There should be legislation to stop the use of a zone to disrupt other zones ie no crashing asteroids into other nations areas.

The idea of zones would allow a very flexible set of development arrangements. Development organizations could be countries, industries, non-profit communities, or conceivably even individuals.

But my impression is that 1000 km zones would be much too big for most purposes. How about letting the developer propose a zone size and have it reviewed in the light of the developer's overall plan?

#7 2004-08-14 19:34:54

prometheusunbound
Website

Hear, Hear!  Authorities with all the might of big buiness and big government are probably neccessary to float the bond issues neccessary to build industries. 

An authority, by just about all legal defination, raises bond issues for a certain goal and retires those bonds. 

How is your authority going to retire the bond issues?

I think that will be the problem; finding a way to pay and then persuading the bankers to front the money.

If something can be found, it is certainly a valid idea.

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#8 2016-10-08 17:19:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

Bump
Fixing topic that goes with the newer creation of the same subject

Board footer