New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-10-09 21:09:49

PeterJ
Banned

Re: Who'll get their first and stay - Governments or Private

I believe governments like the US will make the first step, for the country's image or whatnot, but eventually the funding will go down and interest will wane. Private industry is where the future lays, if you can get private companies to go to mars, and mine it or something, action will really get done.

This does not mean governments would not be needed, i just think that governments like the US and nasa are to slow to act or do anything.

Listen to the wisdom of the Old Ones. The red world and the blue world are brothers, born together out of the same cold darkness, nourished by the same Father Sun. Separated at birth, for ages they remained apart. But now, like true brothers, they are linked once more.

MARS WAITS FOR US

#2 2004-10-11 03:51:45

comstar03

I agree !!!

I agree !!!

I agree, what requires is a private corporation to show the way and others will follow, I think that Richard Branson, and Paul Allen have started more will come onboard but we need large corporates.

#3 2004-10-18 07:11:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

This article says it best:

Great nations have a responsibility to invest in the future - their own as well as that of the human race.

A new vision for space exploration
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunhera … 946593.htm

#4 2004-10-18 09:10:30

Dook
Banned

Only the government has the established infrastructure and funding ability to put humans on mars and bring them home safely.  Any corporation that attempted it would simply lose many billions.  There is no profit to be made in going to mars.  Whatever you could make there you can make here for much, much, less.

Sure once we have landed and surveyed mars and found nothing the public interest will turn away, but we will have done it.  Nobody really cares about making mars habitable until it's absolutely necessary.

#5 2004-10-18 21:05:53

comstar03

Dook,

you don't understand what drives enterprenuers, some are profit driven, some are ego driven, some are community driven, and some are excitement / quest driven,and last is a hybrid enterprenuer of all above reasons. Only the one for profit gives a dame about the money it costs, the others are doing it for other reasons and understand more than most where the funds are coming from and going to and what they are trying to build.

These people are what to achieve greatest to the level they want and a person /s wanting to achieve in space as space entreprenuer has seen expense number in the hundreds and billions and can live with it. Humanity always needs people to raise the bar of excellence and success, we had millions, that's easier today, next is billionaires , still hard but getting easier what is next trillionaire, the first to make that will have wealth beyond what is thought possible, but that raises the bar for people's mind.

Its hard for most people in this forum to think of a person in that category because that's what is going to happen.

#6 2004-10-19 05:58:34

Dook
Banned

Trillionaires?  Maybe sometime in the future.  Certainly a group of them could get together and fund a mars mission but it would cost them much more than the $50 billion that mars direct is because they would need to build all of the infrastructure that NASA already has but it's all possible.

I think before this happens we will have already gone there from government funds though.

#7 2004-10-19 06:19:18

Grypd

At the moment only goverments have the capital to possibly go for the creation of space architecture needed to allow Moon and Mars missions. But the need to make this cheaper may allow corporations to have the access to space that will get private enterprise involved.

Of course we just have to get the general public on our side first any ideas? :hm:

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#8 2004-10-19 06:53:26

comstar03

Dook,

I know right now how to fund 50+ billion per year ( actually over 100+ Billion per year, if necessary) but I don't have the infrastructure together as yet to build all the ground based components for the eventual activity that will guarantee the funds to develop in space.

ALL Private Enterprise Funding as well, and a trillionaire comes from having assets valued at 1,000 Billion or 10 years of full funding or 20 years of partial funding just in space assets.

I think you need to re-examine your own thoughts on private enterprises developing in space, When a private enterprise does make that leap into space operations on a continuous basis the policies within many countries will change, including the United States, because they won't want a private enterprise landing on Mars and claiming land rights on the planet. They might even try and stop the corporate with court action or arrest of key personnel because it would mean that superior technology must be in use and that could be a national interest issue. ( could be multiple governments, trying to stop them , because it would change the balance in space exploration, development, and colonization.

Board footer