New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#1 2019-01-08 18:34:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Automating a Mars Garden

Trying to create a fresh topic From BenVA's image, to which I zigged when I should have zagged...

bcc0472bc5d78607bdc51fcf2768cd83_704x480.jpg?v=1538455662

Like Robert Dyck posted scale and size is also part of the ability, Crops" thread under "Life support systems", post #477
Large scale cotton harvester...
the+development+of+the+cotton+picker+has+helped+farmers+harvest+their+crops+more+effectively+john+deere+has+been+at+the+forefront+of+this+technology+a_2034_800628598_0_0_14009526_300.jpg

Not saying that weill never see one on mars but its going to be quite somethime I would say.

The gardening is very much dependant on the type of food and enclosure that we are striving for.

As louis indicated in his post the use of lighting natural and via LED makes a difference as well for the crop yield. The drawbacks for failure and activity that can be automated.

I was sort of negative in my reply to calling it robotics as its really automation...to remove as much of the human hands on which is better put to use elsewhere.

You positive reply was to see that and suggest that the machine could be altered and I would agree in that as we need it to have the capability and form that will do what we want it to do.

I have more to add but need more time so in voids sig...

NOT Done yet...

#2 2019-01-08 18:53:48

RobertDyck
Website

Re: Automating a Mars Garden

My point was a large scale cotton harvester will not be what we see on Mars. Not for a long time. We could grow cotton in a greenhouse, but expect something smaller. A small scale harvester...
cotton_picking_machine.jpg

#3 2019-01-08 19:28:13

louis

I liked Ben's posted image. I can really see that translated to a Mars agrihab. 

But essentially there are already robot seeders and harvesters for virtually all crops. 

On Mars we can probably eliminate crop disease - so eliminating one aspect of farming (the need to continually check on the health of crops), although no doubt we could still have remote camera viewing.

In many ways soil farming is a lot more straightforward than hydroponic farming.  So I am quite attracted to garden style raised beds with something like the robot gardener passing over.

A lot of the equipment could be produce on Mars.  You could use basalt tiles/slabs as retainers for the soil.  The basic soil could be manufactured on Mars, and nutrient solutions shipped in from Earth, thereafter supplemented by recycling of human, food and plant waste.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#4 2019-01-08 19:30:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

#5 2019-01-08 20:02:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

There is also some more topics that have farm or farming and the verticle type as well but my post went out with the ions....

Thanks for correcting the view on what you had posted before.

Luois thats why I started the topic with it as I did as well...

Its a 3 coordinated stepper system, computer programmed for what ever is on the z or up and down transducer arm.

I can see lots of different sensors being attached to that as well as others that deal with watering nutrition for the plants on that one or on others that use the same track system.

We could sense soil temperature, moisture content, use it to measure the verticle hieghts of the plants and so many more things.

#6 2019-01-10 21:08:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sharing some of the images on BenVA twitter

His garden apparatus would work well enough in a design taylored to its purpose.

C6vgWYAWcAE9FJq.jpg

C6vgYrXWoAIsPtk.jpg

#7 2019-01-11 11:51:25

Void

It seems like good work.

I like people who criticize angels dancing on a pinhead.  I also like it when angels dance on my pinhead.

#8 2019-04-07 17:31:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

The first food from mars growing will not be easy and we will need to look to places that have simular challenges to learn from.

Earth from Space: Egyptian Crop Circles

Egypt is over 95% desert, making a very small proportion of its land suitable for agriculture. As the demand for food grows, the need for agricultural development in desert areas has intensified.

esa_earth_from_space_egypt_crop_circles_040519_945.jpg

The circular shapes in the images, each approximately 800 metres wide, indicate the irrigation method used here, with water being supplied by a set of sprinklers rotating around a central pivot. Fossil water, stored underground for thousands of years, comes from the Nubian Sandstone Aquifer, the largest known fossil aquifer discovered.

Board footer