New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2015-12-29 22:19:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

#2 2015-12-30 22:34:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Onion

I am going to keep this post a bit more simple as it seems taht I am the only one that cares to have good food on Mars, so thoses that wish to eat MRE's that have been stored for 10 years on a shelf continue the silience....

How to Grow Onions, Garlic and More

All About Growing Onions

MEN-DJ10-cag_onions1.jpg

left to right are ‘Bianca di Maggio,’ ‘Red Torpedo,’ scallions, and a yellow onion with its stalk buds.

There is only one feature about growing onions that must be kept in mind: the length of day. They grow in two phases. The production of leaves is the first phase; this starts when the plant starts growing, when the temperature is warm enough for plants that wintered in the ground or for those recently planted. It ends when the bulb starts to form, which is dependent on the length of day. The size of the bulb depends on the number and size of the leaves at the time it starts to bulb. Each leaf represents a layer of the onion and the thickness of each layer is relative to the size of the leaf.

#3 2015-12-30 23:17:21

Void

I hope you have a sense of humor...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=oni … FORM=VIRE5

The second video is also very valuable an "Onion Drive".

Last edited by Void (2015-12-30 23:19:57)

Done.

#4 2015-12-31 19:03:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

ONION RESPIRATION DURING LONG TERM-STORAGE

Measurements were made of the CO2 output of onions held in respirometers at a range of temperatures under conditions of continous airflow. Results showing the seasonal fluctuation in CO2 output from maleic hydrazide treated and control bulbs are discussed in relation to common storage, refrigerated storage and high temperature storage.

Onions, Dry: Recommendations for Maintaining Postharvest Quality

Rates of Ethylene Production; Whole Onions
<0.1 µl/kg·hr at 0-5°C (32-41°F)

There could be a benefit to excess growing of this crop.....

GREEN ONIONS

Green onions (Allium cepa) are immature forms of white onion cultivars planted at high
density. Green onions are harvested while the leaves are still fresh and green and the bulb
is either undeveloped or very small in diameter. Number of days from seeding can be used as a rough guide to predict harvest maturity.

Bunching onions are typically ready for harvest 50 to 60 days after seeding, depending on
environmental conditions, planting density, and cultivar. Shallots are generally ready for
harvest 60 to 70 days after seeding.

#5 2016-01-01 12:53:53

Terraformer
Website

Perhaps we could list various meals and see what they need to make them? I agree with the need for onions, since they're a staple flavouring in many dishes.

I wonder what the most versatile set of basic ingredients would be?

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#6 2016-01-01 20:56:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

I have indicated that we do need a menu of meals in the past and that we need to go farther in that we need to incorporate the havesting time table with that menu to maximize the foods that we will serve from our garden....as we know the food will only stay fresh for just so long without some sort of preservation process in freezing, canning, pickling, dehydrating and even grinding to a powder....

#7 2016-01-02 21:43:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

With a table of germination to harvest times we could creat that recipe book to help withfood growth alignment to natures cycles....
maybe even a wiki page later from the posts....

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/onion-germ … 23416.html

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/ … n-seed.htm

When it comes to onion seeds germinating, temperature plays an active role. While typically germination occurs within 7-10 days, soil temperature affects this process. For instance, the cooler the soil temperature, the longer it will take for onion seeds to germinate – up to two weeks. Warm soil temperatures, on the other hand, can trigger onion seed germination in as little as four days.

walla_walla_onion_seedlings.jpg

http://reimerseeds.com/Seed-Planting/On … ation.aspx

You can harvest onion for their green stems (scallions) at anytime. Cut the green stems with garden scissors when tops are 4 - 8" tall. For bulb product, let the tops dry up themselves before digging them up. Spread bulbs on ground for 3 to 5 days to cure.

Days to Harvest 90 - 120 days

Board footer