New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-12-29 21:40:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sea life Aquarium food and more source

We have talked about fish and other such as a fresh water food source but got thinking about the brime of mars and whether it is possible to harness another avenue for life support.

We know this will require a large volume of aerated water to make life support work with in it. It could be a good experiment much like an early greenhouse would as well to test out what can be done on mars.

The sea is a plentiful bounty on earth and why would it not be the same once we can get enough water to make it work.

Sea life is also good for other things as well in that it can be for  Sustainable 'plastics' are on the horizon

The polymer is derived from microorganisms that feed on seaweed. It is biodegradable, produces zero toxic waste and recycles into organic waste. "A partial solution to the plastic epidemic is bioplastics, which don't use petroleum and degrade quickly. But bioplastics also have an environmental price: To grow the plants or the bacteria to make the plastic requires fertile soil and fresh water, which many countries, including Israel, don't have.

"Our new process produces 'plastic' from marine microorganisms that completely recycle into organic waste."

The researchers harnessed microorganisms that feed on seaweed to produce a bioplastic polymer called polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA). "Our raw material was multicellular seaweed, cultivated in the sea," Dr. Golberg says. "These algae were eaten by single-celled microorganisms, which also grow in very salty water and produce a polymer that can be used to make bioplastic.

"There are already factories that produce this type of bioplastic in commercial quantities, but they use plants that require agricultural land and fresh water. The process we propose will enable countries with a shortage of fresh water, such as Israel, China and India, to switch from petroleum-derived plastics to biodegradable plastics."

#2 2018-12-30 19:08:33

Void

Re: Sea life Aquarium food and more source

Well SpaceNut, nothing wrong with greenhouses if you can make them work reliable.  And practice makes perfect.  Not saying it can't be done.

But I have worked with this as a supplement:
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8853
(See post #23)

Mini power grids, where when you need the power for tools or a process otherwise, you may trim back on the amount of light a artificial light garden gets.  But when power is high an demand is low, you can crank up the Lumens to the max that is useful to photo life.

The gardens can be aquatic or non-aquatic.  Salt, brackish, or fresh.

……

I have noted your algae to bacteria to bio-plastics post.  That maybe also.

If we are to consume animals, then I have a special affinity to brine shrimp.  If you give them what they need as per temperatures, Oxygen, algae / bacteria, then you have chances.  Not entirely sure which microbes they will tolerate for food.

They tolerate very salty water.  That could matter as a salty pond will have a lesser tendency to raise the Relative Humidity within the Cone/Come Mini-Grid chamber.  Lower humidity can mitigate some problems such as human discomfort, and the rusting of metals from condensation not desired.

They are filter feeders, and will very likely feed on photo microbes, and maybe chemosynthesis microbes, within limits.
……

When farming was done on Mars, it would have a calorie importance and aesthetic.  So to feed the body and the human soul.

So, a brine shrimp pond with a ring of elevated soil gardens inside of a cone/dome lighted by something like LED is not the most monstrous notion to contemplate.

As for brine shrimp, they have been used for food.  They grow to a rather small size typically because their habitations are often temporary, and birds will obviously select the biggest ones.  Not so on Mars.  It should be possible to induce them to become larger through selective breading and GM.  (Which distresses Europeans).

I would sort of prefer not to eat any organisms.  But it is how it works.  We could hope to move to a human race that injects Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, and CO2. into themselves and synthesizes what they need to exist. 

Some problems though.

To be a human is to be between top predator and prey.  You must be clever with a brain/mind.

So, do you want to become a tree without a brain?  No need for muscular motion or what we call thoughts.

We have some inheritance from the days where lions tigers and bears sometimes ate our would be ancestors, and when our ancestors sometimes predated on smaller animals and plants to a large extent.

Moral values about eating meat are some kind of an issue.  If we do not have a contest, to demand the human mind, the eat or be eaten, then what shall those who follow inherit?

This is a very troubling and bitter pill to swallow.

……

That is really important I think.  Do humans have a degree of craving for danger?  Because on the average they can profit?

Since Lions and Tigers and Bears typically don't eat us anymore do we need the parenting of a brutal space environment to justify the existence of brains / minds?  I think so.

The alternative is for humans to speciate and some to become top predators, and some to remain human, and perhaps some to become animals.  Morlocks and Eloy maybe with humans hiding between.  Maybe.

I don't like that future, and I fear that humans will bungle it.  Better to go into space.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2019-01-01 19:38:08)

Done.

#3 2018-12-31 16:56:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

Found the loan post in a topic Sea Water Greenhouse

noosfractal wrote:

The process uses seawater to cool and humidify the air that ventilates the greenhouse and sunlight to distil fresh water from seawater. This enables the year round cultivation of high value crops that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to grow in hot, arid regions.

http://www.seawatergreenhouse.com/

#4 2019-01-01 19:39:56

Void

Actually I recall articles which indicated that greenhouses on Mars may have overheating problems, so, yes aquaculture, with the side benefit of water condensate, seems well worth a look.

And of course sun warmed water will likely be help to keep frost out of the greenhouse at night.

As for condensate, I think that if you have a warm air over the water at 50% Relative Humidity, then you need a cooling surface of ~20 DegF lower to double the Relative Humidity on that cooling surface to 100%.  So Celsius then is ~11.1111 differential, I think.

Shouldn't be hard to achieve.

……

And there are at least 2 schemes to generate electricity from salt gradients.  Here is one.
https://www.quora.com/Can-salt-water-ge … lectricity

I don't think any of them are ready for prime time yet, but consider that on Mars you could have a very saline reservoir and a relatively fresh reservoir of significant size.

And if we had something like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korolev_(Martian_crater)
Then on a large scale you could store solar power for winters or Global Dust Storms.
And supposedly in Korolev crater, it seem there would be no need to protect the floating ice layer.

And you could have chemosynthesis and Aquaculture in these.

Something to think about.

…..

Greenhouses, Cone Houses, and....

What about high temperature solar power towers?  Just superheat compressed Martian air in a solar focus, inside a heat exchanger chamber, and then interact that air with a mild brine, and then condense the vapors.  Then you would have salt gradients.  Saturated brine or nearly saturated brine in which possibly brine shrimp could be grown, and fresh water in which other types of aquaculture could be conducted.  And yet this system will be a giant power storage method.

A salt gradient system could also be used as a load leveler, to provide electricity at night or at times of high demand.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2019-01-01 21:09:33)

Done.

#5 2019-01-01 21:43:50

Void

Your Topic is a good one "Sea life Aquarium food and more source".

Please indulge me for a post or two to go at length to propose a package of things that fits in with your topic, but which does not exclude your greenhouses.

First stop, "Antarctic Dry Valley Lakes".

Here is an interesting read:
http://www.montana.edu/priscu/documents … cience.pdf

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals … CE9972979B

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2013/pdf/1583.pdf

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19890017000

……

OK, here is a rather good one:
https://www.niwa.co.nz/publications/wa/ … ry-valleys
Quote:

Ice-covered lakes
Growth conditions in the lakes are quite different from those in the streams. Here there is liquid water all year round, but the lakes retain an ice cover 3–5 m thick throughout the year. Perennial lake-ice is restricted to a few polar lakes, and it creates a special set of conditions. Ice cover prevents wind mixing, and hence dry valley lakes characteristically have exceptionally stable water columns. This allows such features as salt-water layers to persist for many years (see Lake levels below). It also limits the speed at which material such as nutrients, which tend to accumulate in the deep waters through sedimentation, can return to the upper layers of the lake. In addition, ice cover intercepts 80–99% of the sun’s energy at the surface of the lake, the exact value depending on the ice characteristics. The combination of low light, low temperature and slow supply of nutrients leads to very slow growth.
Much of the production appears to be associated with microbial mats (see also “Pond life on the McMurdo Ice Shelf”) on the beds of the lakes. As in the dry valley streams, the main organisms in these communities are cyanobacteria, but there are also diatoms, which are capable of very efficient use of the small amount of solar energy that penetrates the lake-ice cover. There are a few animals here too, though nothing more complex than tiny nematodes and tardigrades.

Diver sampling a microbial mat on the bed of Lake Vanda. (Photos: Ian Hawes)
Lake mats grow extremely slowly due to the low light but, like the communities in streams, they can accumulate large amounts of biomass because of minimal disturbance and an absence of grazing. A unique feature arising from the accumulated slow, undisturbed growth of the mats is their annual layering. These layers appear as alternate dark (winter) and light (summer) bands that offer a record of past changes that have occurred in the dry valleys. We have sectioned cores through the mats with enough resolution to identify the bands that were being laid down as Scott’s party trekked down the Taylor Valley a century ago.

……

Lake Vanda:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Vanda
Quote:

Lake Vanda
Victoria Land
Antarctica
Coordinates
77°31′47″S 161°34′32″E
Coordinates: 77°31′47″S 161°34′32″E
Lake type
Hypersaline lake
Primary inflows
Onyx River
Bartley Stream
Clark Stream
Meserve Stream
Primary outflows
none

Max. length
8 km (5.0 mi)
Max. width
2 km (1.2 mi)
Surface area
5.2 km2 (2.0 sq mi)
Average depth
30.8 m (101 ft)
Max. depth
75 m (246 ft)
Water volume
160 million cubic metres (130,000 acre⋅ft)
Surface elevation
143 metres (469 ft)[1]

Settlements
Vanda Station
Lake Vanda Hut
Lake Vanda is a lake in Wright Valley, Victoria Land, Ross Dependency, Antarctica. The lake is 5 km long and has a maximum depth of 69 m.[2] On its shore, New Zealand maintained Vanda Station from 1968 to 1995. Lake Vanda is a hypersaline lake with a salinity more than ten times that of seawater,[3] more than the salinity of the Dead Sea, and perhaps even more than of Lake Assal (Djibouti), which is the world's most saline lake outside of Antarctica. Lake Vanda is also meromictic, which means that the deeper waters of the lake don't mix with the shallower waters.[4] There are three distinct layers of water ranging in temperature from 23 °C (73 °F) on the bottom to the middle layer of 7 °C (45 °F) and the upper layer ranges from 4–6 °C (39–43 °F).[5] It is only one of the many saline lakes in the ice-free valleys of the Transantarctic Mountains. The longest river of Antarctica, Onyx River, flows West, inland, into Lake Vanda. There is a meteorological station at the mouth of the river.

Ice-covered Lake Vanda with Onyx River in the right foreground
The lake is covered by a transparent ice sheet 3.5–4 metres (11–13 ft) year-round, though melting in late December forms a moat out to approximately 50 metres (160 ft) from the shore. The surface of the ice is not covered with snow and is "deeply rutted with cracks and melt lines".[5] During the colder months the moat refreezes.
While no species of fish live in Lake Vanda or the Onyx River, microscopic life such as cyanobacteria algal blooms have been recorded. Due to the concerns over impact to the natural environment that may occur during research, scientific diving operations are limited to work in the upper layer (above 30 metres (98 ft)) and remotely operated underwater vehicle use is not allowed.[5]

As I recall, the upper cold layer is aerobic.
The comfortably warm bottom layer however is anoxic.

However if we built such a lake, all the layers could be Aerobic if we planned it that way.

There is even a chance that a diver with a breathing apparatus would breath Oxygen of the water itself.  You could put in quite a lot of Oxygen, without a danger of fire.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4665624.stm

So, I would think it would work even better if you had more Oxygen in the lake waters.  You might do so by not having much Nitrogen to displace it.  Another trick is the layer of ice.  On Mars a layer of ice 3.5–4 metres (11–13 ft) thick would allow you to also bump up the amount of dissolved Oxygen by ~10%.

So, if I am correct about the Nitrogen, trick maybe 4-5 times as much Oxygen in the water.  That may or may not be tolerated by the aquatic life we would intend to grow there.

As I recall, the upper layer of water is 2 times a salty as sea water.  But we could regulate it to be much less salty and so it might be tolerated by some fresh water fishes (Cold varieties), and perhaps some salt water fishes that are adaptable to it.  Or maybe we would make that upper layer very much like polar sea water.

The middle layer could either be as salty as cold temperate sea water, or considerably saltier, up to the tolerance of the sea creatures you might want to grow there.

The warm bottom layer could be for Brine Shrimp, but there will be things to overcome about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brine_shrimp
Quote:

Diet[edit]
In their first stage of development, Artemia do not feed but consume their own energy reserves stored in the cyst.[14] Wild brine shrimp eat microscopic planktonic algae. Cultured brine shrimp can also be fed particulate foods including yeast, wheat flour, soybean powder or egg yolk.[15]
Genetics[edit]
Artemia comprises sexually reproducing, diploid species and several obligate parthenogenetic Artemia populations consisting of different clones and ploidies (2n->5n).[16]
Aquaculture[edit]

Salt ponds, San Francisco Bay
Main article: Aquaculture of brine shrimp
Fish farm owners search for a cost-effective, easy to use, and available food that is preferred by the fish. From cysts, brine shrimp nauplii can readily be used to feed fish and crustacean larvae just after one-day incubation. Instar I (the nauplii that just hatched and with large yolk reserves in their body) and instar II nauplii (the nauplii after first moult and with functional digestive tracts) are more widely used in aquaculture, because they are easy for operation, rich in nutrients, and small, which makes them suitable for feeding fish and crustacean larvae live or after drying.

The highlighted area suggests that Brine Shrimp may be able to feed on non-photo plankton, generated with the assistance of Chemosynthesis.  But I cannot be 100% certain.

Problems could be the Brine Shrimp would be drawn by any surface light to try to go to the middle and upper layer, where it would not do well.

Additionally fish in the lake would have a tendency to eat them.

The would likely be protected from fishes that dwell in surface waters.  Also I don't think that fish would at all do well in strong brine.

So, those things might keep the separate.

Perhaps physical barriers might be necessary.  Nets for instance, or some other barrier.

To encourage the brine shrimp to stay in the lower layer, perhaps a few lights shined in the water would help.

Quote:

Ecology and behavior[edit]
Brine shrimp can tolerate any levels of salinity from 25‰ to 250‰ (25–250 g/L),[10] with an optimal range of 60‰–100‰,[10] and occupy the ecological niche that can protect them from predators.[11] Physiologically, optimal levels of salinity are about 30–35‰, but due to predators at these salt levels, brine shrimp seldom occur in natural habitats at salinities of less than 60–80‰. Locomotion is achieved by the rhythmic beating of the appendages acting in pairs. Respiration occurs on the surface of the legs through fibrous, feather-like plates (lamellar epipodites)[8]

……

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquacultu … ine_shrimp

I think that they prefer relatively warm temperatures.

Also it may be necessary to fool them as to what time of the years it is with lights to simulate a progression of day/night lengths.  Not sure.  Maybe it is dependent on which kind of brine shrimp

They grow better with less salt, but are more protected from predators if the salt level is higher.

….

Energy for the lake:
I suppose some day we might get some meager amount of sunlight into the lake through the thick ice layer, but that will also let in U.V. unless we can do something to filter it out.

My thinking is that we use evaporation on the medium level waters to replenish the ~Fresh cold upper layer and to replenish the Bottom layer brine.

Your greenhouse aquiculture could help do that, so could the cone buildings I have talked about elsewhere.

But I think the real kicker would be solar power towers.

You could heat up compressed Air in a loop.  Then mix that hot air with the Medium layer less briny water.  You would then use a demister to separate the Mix.  The hot brine would be delivered to the bottom layer.  The hot mixture of Air and water vapor would be quenched into cold water from the upper layer.
Then the vapor would condense into the cold water, making it more fresh.  Then you would have air to reuse.

…..

So, with all of this, you have a lake that stores energy two ways:
1) Salt water Gradients.
2) Thermal Gradients.

For #1, this:
https://www.quora.com/Can-salt-water-ge … lectricity
For #2
Turbines perhaps.

…..

Keep in mind that Boring Company tunnels could be under the lake, as transport and also to live in or work in.

And I think that the biology of the lake would primarily be driven by Chemosynthesis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemosynthesis

…..

Of course various kinds of greenhouse/pinkhouse methods to grow Vegetables, and Fruit are also valid.

Maybe cupolas, for Aesthetic enjoyment, perhaps some plants there and the cupolas situated so that a person could have a view of the Martian sky and surface.
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/st … upola.html

And then of course practice will make more perfect, your greenhouse would be a great thing.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2019-01-01 22:50:27)

Done.

#6 2019-01-02 14:55:51

Void

Per my post #5, SpaceNut, some further comments.

I have looked through the materials and seen that the bottom waters may be 10 times as salty as sea water.  This is both good and bad.

The good part, is that I think you can have nearly fresh water in the top layer, and 10 times as salty in the bottom layer.  That should be great for storing energy that can be retrieved.

More good news is that I really don't think that fish from above could even use their diving bladders to get down into the 10x salty layer.  They would simply have too much flotation.  So if you had brine shrimp farms down there the fish most likely could not get to them.

However this would most likely be to salty for brine shrimp to thrive, and probably too salty for them to even survive.  But there is a way, I think to farm them and actually it would further keep them in control.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a … 8199001252
Quote:

Abstract
Survival and reproductive performance were measured at nine temperature–salinity (T–S) combinations (15°C, 24°C and 30°C/60 ppt, 120 ppt and 180 ppt) for four sexual (Artemia franciscana, A. salina, A. sinica and A. persimilis) and one parthenogenetic (A. parthenogenetica) species of brine shrimp. There was significant interaction between temperature and salinity for survival and reproductive traits. For most species there was disconcordance among seven performance estimators (LT50, 21-day survival, r, and four female reproductive traits) for the optimal T–S combination. We propose that the best ecological estimator of reproductive success is cohort reproductive output because it incorporates both survival (lx) and reproductive (mx) functions. All species had maximum reproduction at 24°C; at 120 ppt for A. parthenogenetica, A. sinica and A. franciscana, and at 180 ppt for A. salina and A. persimilis. There was only one T–S combination (24°C/120 ppt) where all species completed their life cycle. While at least one Artemia species reproduced at eight of the nine possible T–S combinations, sustainable reproduction (where Ro≥1) occurred at only five T–S combinations. A. parthenogenetica had the narrowest tolerance range of T–S combinations, contradicting the general purpose genotype hypothesis advanced for obligately parthenogenetic species.

Lake Vanda's bottom temperature is at 23°C.  So the temperatures can really be in the ball park.  But the brine shrimp will need lower salinity.  So, I suggest sea water filled diving bells.  Maybe a small bubble of air at the top with some minimal light.  Possibly a net at the bottom to keep the brine shrimp in, but allow microbes to enter from the saltier water.  The less salty water in the bell would float on the more salty water outside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Assal_(Djibouti)
Quotes:

No outflow occurs from the lake, and due to high evaporation, the salinity level of its waters is 10 times that of the sea, making it the most saline in the world after Don Juan Pond.

The lake water is rich in minerals but the only signs of life are a rich abundance of common bacteria.[

Signs of life at Don Juan Pond in Antarctica seem to be missing, but perhaps the high salinity, and cold are the problem there.

Lake Assal is also but not quite as salty.  But apparently allows bacteria to grow.  But not Brine Shrimp.  The salt is rather or to high for brine shrimp.  However it could be the high temperatures that keep them out.  Perhaps a combination of high temperatures and Saltiness.

Another Quote:

Located in the hot desert, the lake experiences summer temperatures as high as 52 °C (126 °F) from May to September. Winter temperatures are not low at 34 °C (93 °F) from October to April with the coastal area experiencing rains.

So, yes not only is the salt level high or too high for brine shrimp to thrive or survive, but it looks to me that the temperatures are also a challenge, especially in the summer.

But like I have said, in this post, there should be a way to farm them.  And the salinity contrasts appear to me to be fantastic for storing energy by salt gradients.

I will try to let you get back closer to your greenhouse model now.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2019-01-02 15:16:31)

Done.

#7 2019-01-05 11:21:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

Foods to Increase the Oxygen in the Blood
We need between 8 and 18 milligrams of iron daily to prevent a deficiency and since we  have no meats on mars strarting we will need to get them from the plants or in supplement vitimans.

If your diet lacks folate or vitamin B-12, eating foods rich in these nutrients might boost your blood oxygen levels. Folate, also called vitamin B-9, helps your body make red blood cells -- the iron-rich cells that carry oxygen in your blood. Vitamin B-12 helps you make hemoglobin, the protein that contains oxygen-carrying iron.

vitamin B-12 through meat, fish and shellfish -- a single 3-ounce serving of salmon, mackerel, beef, mussels, clams or Alaskan king crab will provide all you need for the day

Which means sea foods are just as important..

#8 2022-09-02 17:02:40

Mars_B4_Moon

Will Mars have Biospehere with artificial made ponds and Lakes and Seas

Perhaps many of an invasive alien species entering an eco-system can captured and then genetically bred or engineered for off world, be it plant, fish, mushroom fungi, mammal or crustaceans

Needs Artificial Gravity?

Fish Don’t Do So Well in Space
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne … 180961817/
'The International Space Station’s resident fish shed light on life in microgravity'

Michigan has 8 invasive crustaceans to watch out for: Here’s what they are and the threat they pose
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/mic … they-pose/

Millions spent to keep invasive fish out of Great Lakes, but who is protecting Mississippi River?
https://www.thegazette.com/environment- … ppi-river/

Study reveals the bight's bountiful food
https://au.news.yahoo.com/study-reveals … 28105.html

other discussion on newmars

"Underground vs Above Ground" Both actually
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8903

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-09-02 17:06:11)

#9 2022-09-02 17:54:35

SpaceNut
Administrator

I would be nice if we could create such biodomes on mars to help with the diversity that we require for a stable form of life.

What Biome's are needed on Mars

#10 2022-10-02 15:56:22

Mars_B4_Moon

Could offshore wind sites host edible seaweed farms? The Swedes think so

https://electrek.co/2022/09/30/offshore … eed-farms/

Stockholm-headquartered renewable energy developer OX2 has signed letters of intent with Swedish edible seaweed companies Nordic SeaFarm and KOBB to explore the possibility of seaweed farming at one of OX2’s offshore wind farms.

#11 2022-10-25 16:46:26

Mars_B4_Moon

World's largest protein factory uses fermentation to produce 20,000 tonnes of protein annually for use in fish food in China

https://thefishsite.com/articles/calyss … mes-online

Fermentation is a process that uses microbes, to break down compounds to create products like protein or alcohol. This allows for basic raw ingredients such as glucose, starch, carbon monoxide or methane to be used to produce complex food like protein.

Traditional fish food for farmed fish is largely comprised of wild fish or soy. This leads to overfishing and massive amounts of land use for the growing of soy. By using industrial scale fermentation, you can vastly reduce the land and water needed to produce fish food. This technology could also be used to feed other kind of livestock as well.

#12 2023-02-23 11:18:22

Mars_B4_Moon

Meet The Modern Farmers Creating Public Oyster Gardens
https://modernfarmer.com/2023/02/public-oyster-gardens/

Why seaweed farming could be the next big thing in sustainability
https://www.popsci.com/environment/seaw … d-climate/

Expanding seaweed farming could really help people and the planet, says new study.

Here comes the world’s first offshore wind seaweed farm
https://electrek.co/2023/02/16/offshore … weed-farm/

The African Lungfish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgXuuMlZRqs

A Fish Friendly Facility for the International Space Station
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stat … uatic.html
While aquariums provide a relaxing pastime for humans on Earth, recreation is not the goal behind the new Aquatic Habitat, or AQH, aboard the International Space Station. Instead, researchers will use this unique facility to look at how microgravity impacts marine life.
Sponsored by the Japanese Space Agency, or JAXA, this habitat is a closed-water circulatory system, which provides a new facility option for station research. Scientists will use the habitat to study small, freshwater fish on orbit. For the first investigations, they plan to examine the Medaka (Oryzias latipes) fish.

Moderator edit: This post was tested to be sure the links work and do not expose the visitor to spam or other hazards.
The post had been reported by Void. See Housekeeping for details. The links were tested using Linux.
If any further incidents occur, please report them in Housekeeping.
2023/02/23. (th)

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-02-23 11:33:43)

#13 2023-03-10 05:23:46

Mars_B4_Moon

Not sure which post might have set off a pop up or spam filter

quoting the electrek article

I can always try put links into wayback machine or archive dot org but this would steal more time from my day

Offshore wind seaweed farm

The North Sea Farm 1 project, off the Netherlands coast, will consist of a a 10-hectare (25-acre) seaweed farm that is expected to produce at least 6,000kg of fresh seaweed in its first year.

It’s expected to become operational by the end of the year, and the first seaweed harvest is expected in spring 2024. The hope is that the project evolves into a blueprint for offshore seaweed farming that can be rolled out globally.

Amazon’s news release doesn’t give any details about the wind farm itself – whether it already exists or whether it needs to be built, how many turbines, whether it will actually generate clean energy – but it would appear from the CGI below that Amazon posted that it’s a floating offshore wind farm:

The North Sea Farmers, a collective of Dutch seaweed farmers and businesses that are working to promote the sustainable cultivation and use of seaweed in the North Sea region, is leading the project. Researchers Plymouth Marine Laboratory, seaweed extract makers Algaia, and marine contractors Van Oord are also taking part in the project, among others.

Amazon is funding the project with a €1.5 million ($1.6 million) grant, which comes from its $100 million global Right Now Climate Fund.
What’s the point of cultivating seaweed?

By locating the farm specifically in unused space between turbines, the project is able to expand seaweed cultivation in the otherwise heavily used North Sea.

If seaweed farming were to occupy all of the space occupied by wind farms – and that’s expected to be around 1 million hectares (2.47 million acres) by 2040 – it could reduce millions of tonnes of carbon dioxide annually.

And seaweed has a lot of really cool benefits; it absorbs CO2 during photosynthesis, which can help to mitigate the effects of climate change. In fact, seaweed can absorb more CO2 per unit area than land-based plants, making it an effective tool for carbon sequestration.

It can provide habitats for marine life, including fish, crabs, and shellfish. By creating new habitats, seaweed farming can help shore up marine biodiversity.

Plus, we can eat it: It’s a nutritious food source that doesn’t require freshwater, fertilizer, or pesticides to grow. It can also be harvested year-round, and it can be used for a wide range of products, from food and cosmetics to biofuels and fertilizers.

Board footer