New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#2176 2022-05-20 06:38:16

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiative ...

Today's Trailbreaker will try for 50300

Today's ReScan will cover 49001-50000

Today's Trailbreaker finished with a Green screen, Zero Potholes, 26 SpaceNut posts, and 12 Edits needed.

Two of those ** appear ** to be FluxBB rejects, which sometimes offer a bit of a puzzle to solve.

One of the FluxBB rejects had an extra right bracket.

All the edits are complete, and the arguments from 2004 are ready for future readers to shake their heads.

Inspector will check the work.

Inspector finished with a Green screen...

Completed Sequence for ID: 50300

Total Command Lines found: 31
Total input Lines in script: 160

Number of ID's processed: 300

Starting Number: 50001

Last Number of Run: 50300

Summary for Web Automation Report for 05-20-2022 at 19:38:30
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:22

Total time of Processing: 01:49:02

Potholes: Zero    Edits: Zero    Clean run!

The laptop earned a break!  The ReScan over 49001-50000 will start (about) 22:00 local time.

This is the last regular ReScan over 1000 posts.

Update next day:

Inspector reached 50,000 with a Green screen!

Completed Sequence for ID: 50000

Number of ID's processed: 1000

Starting Number: 49001

Last Number of Run: 50000

Summary for Web Automation Report for 05-21-2022 at 07:09:46
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:25
4 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 06:49:55

Potholes: Four
Edits: Four
Clean run through 50,000

(th)

#2177 2022-05-20 17:19:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

The letter writing so far seems to be for the most part been quite silent for responses but maybe some one will understand in time.

#2178 2022-05-20 17:22:23

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re conversion of cubic feet of water to gallons...

I asked Google for help with the conversion:

The conversion between cubic feet and gallons is 1 cubic foot = 7.48 gallons of water; to calculate your water usage in gallons on a meter that reads in cubic feet, multiply the number on the bottom of the face of your water meter by 7.48.Aug 1, 2019

How to Read your Water Meter - Flumehttps://flumewater.com › how-to-read-your-water-meter

Now all I have to do is to see if I can pull the record of my monthly usage from the utility web site.

I've been curious for some time, as NewMars members think about Mars and the flight to Mars, about how much water people might actually use in a month.  We have a report (a few days/weeks ago in the forum archive) that the average person might use 80 gallons a day.  You responded with the remarkable observation that your household got by on ? 8 ? gallons of purchased water per day, but I'm guessing you may be using well water for toilet flows.  That was not made clear in your report.

(th)

#2179 2022-05-20 18:20:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

The dish washing water is used to flush the toilet daily as we wash in one side and rinse into the other basin, both having plastic containers for the dishes to set within.
Of course the water calculation is skewed due to all of the liquids you might drink or use in canning that contain a water content which add up in the waste you would be recycling for a mars location.
The ISS showed us that the use of a wet wipe can be recycled for the water it contains by allowing it to air dry before disposal.
Yes, man can adapt to using less but its not easy. During the summer that water purchase does go up as you drink more to keep hydrated.

Mars will need every bit over the amount I use to that which others waste to make life possible to be able to make the things we will need and use including fuel for the return trip when needed. Then again we will do so for commerce for sure.

#2180 2022-05-20 19:52:07

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2179 .... thanks for taking up the water usage question ....

Out of curiosity, since you've described having available water you can pump from under ground, why not use that for the toilet?

The quantity of dish water you might have seems (to me at least) unlikely to be sufficient for a family with multiple members.

Is the water from the ground so laden with minerals that not only is it un-drinkable, but it may even be unusable for even a waste system?

Speaking of water ... I just dropped off a report on a 150 mile water pipeline in Texas that allows two communities to balance each other's needs.  The distance is remarkable, in light of the difficulty Arizona is having just ** thinking ** about a pipeline.  The article includes a picture that shows a ** really ** large pipe section, which I assume is of the pipeline described in the article.

(th)

#2181 2022-05-21 05:16:04

tahanson43206

Yesterday's ReScan brought the Mile Marker for Completed/Verified Posts to 50,000.

The optimum Trailbreaker and Inspector scripts are in operation.

Processing going forward to 77,000 should be reliable.

Work on the Auditor script is progressing slowly, as time permits.

When completed, it will go back over the first 30,600 posts to find and correct missing Smiley Faces and European punctuation.

Today, I began work on the first input file, covering Post 1-300.  A great deal of manual adjustment is needed at this point.
However, the needed reference data appears to be present.  Posts 1-300 were downloaded and edited, and the edits were saved in the log.

In the mean time, today's Trailbreaker will try for 50600.

Trailbreaker finished with Zero potholes, a lot of SpaceNut posts, and 7 edits needed.

Inspector will check the work. Note: Poetry is included in this stretch ... Clark posted several examples.

Update at 14:12 local time ... Inspector finished with a Green screen

Completed Sequence for ID: 50600

Starting Number: 50301

Last Number of Run: 50600

Potholes: Zero Edits: Zero    Clean run!

I just discovered that the last two days of Trailbreaker were set up incorrectly.

We passed 50000 on May 19th.

On May 20th, in error, I set up a repeat of 50001-50300 and on the 21st I set up a run from 50301-50600.

I'll set up a make-up run now to cover 51001-51600.

The make up Trailbreaker just finished, at 21:00 local time.

it reported one pothole, 54 SpaceNut posts, and just 20 posts needing review.

In order to try to stay on schedule, I'll make the manual adjustments now.

The actual count of edits was 21 ... there was one FluxBB reject ... misspelled quote as qoute

The Inspector will now review all 600 pots.

I'll run the ReScan to 51000 tomorrow. The ReScan will now run every 3rd or 4th day, as Trailbreaker moves along.

Update next day: The Inspector reported one pothole and no edits.  We are caught up to 51600.

ReScans are scheduled for this evening to 51000, and for Monday evening to 52000.

(th)

#2182 2022-05-21 07:08:09

tahanson43206

Special for SpaceNut ....

Re new topic: Interstate 80 San Francisco Salt Lake City Water Pipeline

I'm thinking about setting a policy that new members who join to take part in the pipeline project should register as members of the Mars Society.

This forum appears to have been a part of the Mars Society for an extended period, in various forms.

Under this policy, members of record of the forum, prior to today, would be grandfathered in as participants in the new topic.

The purpose of the topic would be to facilitate design, funding, construction, operation and maintenance of the pipeline.

However, extension of the pipeline throughout the Western US and even East from Salt Lake City would be within the purview of the topic.

Would you be in agreement with the proposed policy?

(th)

#2183 2022-05-21 16:43:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

I see why not as we want to be successful with all such activity that we do have going. The fact that others can give us there thoughts to aid in this open view to solving problems.

#2184 2022-05-21 17:53:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2183

Thank you for considering my suggestion of a possible way forward!

We haven't had ** any ** applications since DaGeck0 stopped by in November of 2020!

I was startled to see that more than a year has gone by since daGeck0 went through the trials and tribulations of Registration, and then disappeared.

He posted three posts ....

I could be wrong, but I got the impression our forum members did not reply specifically to the post by DaGeck0, except for yours, which did mention the Apollo space suits.

If we ever get another applicant for admission, let's think ** long and hard ** about what we might do to increase chances the applicant finds the experience rewarding enough to stay through the early days.

On the ** other ** hand, I am leaning toward inviting people who are interested in working instead of talking, so we might have a different set of concerns to meet their needs.

In any case, thanks for your support of my suggestion of a possible policy to require admission to the Mars Society.

The standards are pretty modest ... ability to pay $50 and surrendering the "real" identity to the Society.  Folks can still use pen names on the forum.

(th)

#2185 2022-05-21 18:07:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

DaGeck0 first post was on a clear helmet that used air pressure to feed the seal at the neck as a leak system to be used in covid wards if I recal.
The next was the 1.2 meg reactor but I think that it was more of an article report.
I get the impression since that it did not return as it was to much knowledge on our site.

#2186 2022-05-22 06:34:02

tahanson43206

Today's Trailbreaker will try for 51900

Today's ReScan will cover 50001-51000.

Today's Trailbreaker finished with a Green screen.

There were no potholes.
We have 53 SpaceNut posts and 5 Edits.

Edits are complete. Inspector will now confirm the work.

Update at 16:41 local time...

Completed Sequence for ID: 51900

Starting Number: 51601

Last Number of Run: 51900

Summary for Web Automation Report for 05-22-2022 at 16:39:06

Total time of Processing: 01:49:10

Potholes: Zero
Edits: Zero ... Good run!

This evening's ReScan will cover 50001-51000.

It will start after tonight's Zoom session.

Update next day: The ReScan through 51000 ended with a Green screen.

Completed Sequence for ID: 51000

Starting Number: 50001

Last Number of Run: 51000

Summary for Web Automation Report for 05-23-2022 at 08:29:18
4 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 06:58:35

Potholes: 4
Edits: Zero ... Clean run!

(th)

#2187 2022-05-23 06:38:09

tahanson43206

Today's Trailbreaker will try for 52200

Today's ReScan will cover 51001-52000

Work on Auditor will resume ... there are more than 100 logs to be modified and prepared for Auditor runs.

Each set of text prepared for upload for each post must be packaged for easy location in the input stream.

The packaging used in the early Trailbreaker runs must be replaced, and i am working on automation to help.

The specific feature in work is the ability to insert lines of text before a line containing a match string.

The first log file in work is the one that covered posts 1-300.

Update at 13:23 local time ... Trailbreaker found lots of SpaceNut posts and 7 posts to edit.

Inspector will now check the work.

Update at 23:01 local time .... Inspector finished with a Green screen...

Completed Sequence for ID: 52200

Starting Number: 51901

Last Number of Run: 52200

Summary for Web Automation Report for 05-23-2022 at 22:56:17

Total time of Processing: 01:48:59

Potholes: Zero  Edits: Zero Good run!

The ReScan to cover 51001 through 52000 will start now.

The next ReScan will be scheduled after Trailbreaker crosses 53000.

Update next day:

Completed Sequence for ID: 52000

Starting Number: 51001

Last Number of Run: 52000

Summary for Web Automation Report for 05-24-2022 at 08:48:55
1 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Potholes: One
Edits: Zero! Good Run!

We are now caught up to Trailbreaker.

From now on ReScan will run only when Trailbreaker crosses a 1000 milestone.

(th)

#2188 2022-05-23 08:37:20

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Sunday's Zoom ....

Just FYI .... the "early" evening Zoom has become less popular, so (with kbd512's approval) we will change that slot to an "on request" mode, similar to the European Zoom offer.  If anyone would like to have us open the Midnight UTC Zoom, please post a message in the Zoom topic. Search topics "zoom"

The "Night Owl" session remains in place at 1 AM UTC.  I am available at that time, and look forward to meeting kbd512 and others who may become available.

Sunday evening's Night Owl was inspiring as usual, with kbd512 in full creative mode.

I took notes and will attempt to prepare them for posting in a day or two.

In the meantime, here is an off-the-top impression of where things stand ....

kbd512 appears (to me at least) to be reliably consistent in his support of the Solar Trough idea for the massive projects I am interested in promoting.

Wildly divergent ideas are a normal part of the creative process, and NewMars' Archive is full of them, and they keep arriving in inspired posts by our existing members. 

Locking in on a particular technology, and dealing with the disadvantages as they become evident, is a normal part of the process of converting vision into "Real Universe" actuality.

I am counting on Calliban to continue working on his vision of an all-Nuclear hydrocarbon fuel manufacturing facility.  Calliban is taking a well earned break, after his recent bursts of creativity.  At some point I hope (and trust) he will return to add substance to the concepts he has outlined.

In the mean time, kbd512 appears to be willing (and able) to focus on concepts uniquely adapted to the circumstances of the State of Texas, in the US.

There's a lot of psychic energy, as well as just plain ordinary energy, moving around in Texas these days. 

On top of ** that ** the recent introduction of the concept of a pipeline from the Pacific to Utah provides ample opportunity for creative thinking.  It is NOT as though the problems of overcoming mountains and distance have not been  confronted before!  The Intercontinental railroad and it's successors dealt with elevation and difficult terrain, long before the present Interstate 80 became the major highway it is today.

While I don't foresee the pipeline to Utah becoming "transcontinental" in scope (in the literal sense), I ** do ** foresee that pipeline becoming a major artery from which smaller branches flow to points all over the Western US.

Anywhere the pipeline goes has the potential to become a hub of human activity, because a steady supply of water will combine with the ever-abundant supply of solar energy to deliver a comfortable living for thousands at first, and eventually millions of US residents.

The pattern to be demonstrated will surely find echoes in other continents where solar power is abundant and water is scarce.

Your role ...
Under your leadership, this forum has been quietly rebuilding from the anarchy of unlimited registration by thousands of spammers.  While our intake of new members has been modest, it seems to me that the steady creative productivity of our existing members will attract others in time.

However, I'm offering you an opportunity to think ahead to alternative futures that I see.  These remain no more than wisps floating in the fog at the moment, but any of them could solidify, the fog could clear, and a brightly lit brick road could become visible.

One that is more likely than others is the initiative to find a way to make synthetic fuel using solar power in Texas.

Another that is possible but less likely is to provide a gathering point for people who would collaborate to build a "Transcontinental Pipeline" for Pacific Ocean sea water to the interior of the Western US.  The forum is well suited for collaboration of this kind.

The forum (FluxBB specifically) provides a communications anchor that flows from now to the past with reliable history, thanks to the Mars Society.

Dropbox provides a way to store information in a "permanent/non-flowing" way that is easy to find and does not require sophisticated searches.

The Zoom sessions, provided through the generosity of Mars Society management, provide a venue for rapid solidification of ideas by members, and connection to others at the rapid pace afforded by online real-time video.

(th)

#2189 2022-05-24 06:29:50

tahanson43206

Today's Trailbreaker will try for 52500.

There will be no ReScan until we reach 53000.

I'm chipping away at the Auditor challenge.  A new feature of the Extract program was intended to insert text into a file before a line with specific content.

The most recent debug run gave puzzling results, so I've scheduled a step-by-step session today.

I'm working on preparing the first data file to be fed to the Auditor.  It will cover posts 1-300, and the run will compare existing posts to planned updates.

We now know that the original WBA version and Trailbreaker script missed Smiley Faces and European punctuation, so the Auditor should be able to find them.

It will still require manual procedure to deliver the intended text to the post in the MySql database, but that procedure goes smoothly.

Update at 13:01 local time

Completed Sequence for ID: 52500

Total Command Lines found: 52
Total input Lines in script: 177

Starting Number: 52201

Last Number of Run: 52500

Summary for Web Automation Report for 05-24-2022 at 12:48:52
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:42
49 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 03:29:38

Skip analysis:
49 Skip Exceptions were recorded.
  Lines containing String One 98 <<== 11 Edits estimated 11 Actual
  Lines containing String Two 76 <<== 38 SpaceNut estimated
  (A SpaceNut post usually records as two citations but not always)

Update at 13:25 local time ... Edits of eleven posts went smoothly.  There were no FluxBB rejects.

All the Smiley Faces and European punctuation are restored.

Back in 2004, clark was writing poems, and he even engaged in what seems to have been a civil debate with Robertdyck.

The Inspector will now check the edits.

Update at 16:23...

Inspector finished with a Green screen. No edits! Clean run!

The laptop gets a long break! There is no ReScan scheduled.

Meanwhile, a new feature of the utility to prepare for Auditor is working.

The Insert Before Match feature inserts a needed line in front of an obsolete line from the early days of the Post updates.  I'll test the new feature tomorrow, to see how well it prepares a log for input to the Auditor.

Update at 20:56 ... the Insert Before Match feature seems to be close to working as desired.  The last element to adjust was processing of blank lines. The default process in the Extract Utility is to ignore blank lines.  However, our NewMar posters ** like ** blank lines for visual spacing, so I adjusted the flow so they are properly copied when the Insert Before Match feature is running.

I'll give the new feature a test tomorrow, using a fresh copy of the 1-300 log file from the repository.  The goal here is to automate as much of the file processing as possible.  Once the file is ship shape, I'll start work on a new Script Command to handle the procedure. It will take the post number to work on from the program run counter, and pull down the existing post text. It will then locate the corresponding entry in the prepared log file, and compare the saved post with the edit output. If the two match the program will just continue to the next post.  If there is a difference the program will report the post for attention in the log.

I'm hoping there won't be too many differences, but really have no idea.  Back in the early days, our posters ** really ** liked Smiley Faces, and we had a number of European posters, and even a few US posters who liked fancy punctuation.  At least, ** this ** time all the unquotes will be gone.

(th)

#2190 2022-05-25 06:20:10

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiative...

Today's Trailbreaker will try for 52800
Inspector will cover the same series.
There will be no ReScan until Trailbreaker crosses 53000
Work on Auditor will continue. The data file for posts 1-300 is in work.
When finished, the prepared file will be ready for WBA to find posts in the file at run time.

Update at 9:52 local time .... WBA hit another bit of flotsam in today's sequence.  It recovered and kept going, but it created another false post.

The post that appears to have caused the problem is: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 536#p52536

After the Trailbreaker finishes I'll investigate to see what happened.

The new stop-if-over-limit feature is working but it may be set too high at 10,000 characters.

Update at 13:13 local time

15 edits went smoothly.  52536 was NOT too long ... it was under 2000 characters long, so the cause of the false post was something else.  The ** good ** news is that post 52536 showed up as a mismatch, to repair was straightforward and went smoothly. I have no idea what caused the false post, but now that the phenomenon is (somewhat) familiar, and since recovery is easy and reliable, I'm less inclined to worry about it.

Never-the-less, the Inspector will now check the work.

Completed Sequence for ID: 52800

Starting Number: 52501

Last Number of Run: 52800

Summary for Web Automation Report for 05-25-2022 at 15:27:36

Total time of Processing: 01:49:00

Potholes: Zero    Edits: Zero! Good Run!

(th)

#2191 2022-05-25 09:05:41

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ground water investigation.

You have reported making considerable investment in trying to prepare the ground water on your property for use.

You've reported various things you have either tried or thought about trying.

The issue of settling of turbid water is of interest (to me for sure) and you could perform a useful experiment without massive investment.

What is more, others who are members of the forum could perform the exact same experiment simultaneously, and everyone could report results/observations here.  Those results could be catalogued in the NewMars Dropbox account, for anyone interested to view.

Questions that I have include:

1) How long does it take for a batch of turbid water to settle?

I'm assuming days may be required.  Settling tanks are in use world wide for commercial and public purposes.

This would be a setting "tank" to investigate a particular water supply.

2) What is the content of a particular water supply.

I'm assuming your supply is consistent from one sample to the next, but there may be some variation.

3) If rust is part of the turbidity, then that means both iron and oxygen are being transported by the ground water.

** That ** means you can harvest iron from your "free from Ma Nature" water supply.

4) What would it take to harvest whatever iron is present?

The amount might be small, but it would be ** all ** yours to display as a trophy for your labors.

(th)

#2192 2022-05-25 16:01:36

GW Johnson
Website

Way back in the winter of 1996-1997 when we were in Minnesota,  the well water we had,  at the rent house up there,  turned a turbid red-brown.  It became impossible to do laundry with it,  looked terrible,  and tasted bad,  too.  Turned out,  the well casing pipe had rusted badly and was collapsing.  It was difficult to fish all that collapsing pipe debris out of the well,  especially in the frozen winter cold,  but the new pipe fixed the problem.  We had water filters and the salt-based hardness treatment,  but none of that helped.  The rusting pipe overwhelmed it all.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#2193 2022-05-25 18:39:26

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re rust in water ...

With a nod to GW Johnson for enduring the winter of 1996-1997 in Minnesota...

SpaceNut ... please confirm you are not drawing ground water through a rusted well pipe.

I asked Google about New Hampshire private wells and got a surprising number of results ...

Why are private wells in New Hampshire so dangerous?
Most private wells in New Hampshire provide water that contains harmful levels of contaminants – usually minerals that occur naturally but are harmful nevertheless. The most common of these contaminants – radon and arsenic – increase the risk of cancer and other diseases if consumed over a period of years.
Private Wells | NH Department of Environmental Services

www.des.nh.gov/water/drinking-water/private-wells
Search for: Why are private wells in New Hampshire s

I would ** think ** that distillation would provide an output free of most contaminants.

Radon gas has a molecular mass of 222.  But it ** is ** a gas, so it might rise from a body of water heated to boiling.

Charming!

From www.lenntech.com

Radon occurs in the environment mainly in the gaseous phase. Consequently, people are mainly exposed to radon through breathing air.

Background levels of radon in outside air are generally quite low, but in indoor locations radon levels in air may be higher. In homes, schools and buildings radon levels are increased because radon enters the buildings through cracks in the foundations and basements.

Some of the deep wells that supply us with drinking water may also contain radon. As a result a number of people may be exposed to radon through drinking water, as well as through breathing air.

Radon levels in groundwater are fairly high, but usually radon is quickly released into air as soon as the groundwater enters surface waters.

Read more: https://www.lenntech.com/periodic/eleme … z7ULkteMvL

(th)

#2194 2022-05-25 21:10:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

Granite is the source of the radon that mostly accumilates in cellars.

My well testing has manganese, Hydrogen sulfide gas (H2S) can give water a “rotten egg” taste or odor, this is also the reason for the iron in the water as well from what I recall.

https://www.health.state.mn.us/communit … lfide.html

Water Well Casings: Basics and Material Choice

Well System Componentsdiagramwell.gif

Casing is the tubular structure that is placed in the drilled well to maintain the well opening. Along with grout, the casing keeps possibly contaminated surficial water from reaching the aquifer zone underground and prevents contaminants from mixing with the water.

The most common materials for well casing are carbon steel, plastic (most commonly, but not exclusively, PVC), and stainless steel. Different geologic formations and groundwater quality dictate what type of casing can be used.

Residents in some areas have a choice between steel and PVC, both of which have advantages. PVC is lightweight, resistant to corrosion, and relatively easy for contractors to install.

I think this was the company used to do the work back in 1994 and it was drilled to 280 ft of depth to give it a reservoir to draw from since it had low water gallon per minute capability. Well required from day one a filter and I tried a number of them as well as types.

https://www.juddgoodwinwellco.com/

company for the filter was
https://forestpump.com/filtration/

similar filter type
https://waterfilterguru.com/best-iron-f … ell-water/

The head of the tank had a timer that set the water back washing to clear the iron build up from it.

#2195 2022-05-25 21:27:19

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2194

Thanks for your reply, with links and notes on the 280 foot deep well on your property.

Did you get assay reports on water samples from that depth?  Those would be ** very ** interesting if you still have them?

Perhaps Judd Goodwin and company have a copy?

Your post implies that your well is done with either PVC or Stainless steel pipe.  Do you recall which was used?

Is the well still usable?  Does it have a pump at the bottom that pushes water up the shaft?

I'd be ** very ** interested in trying the magnet idea, now that we know that rust is weakly magnetic.

(th)

#2196 2022-05-26 06:35:59

tahanson43206

Today's runs will include:
Trailbreaker to 53100
ReScan over 52001-53000

Work on the new Audit script command for WBA will resume.
The input file needs a bit more touchup. Touchup completed. I ** think ** the file is ready for a run.
A preliminary offline test of the new script command is possible, depending upon progress.
Not today, as it turns out.

Update at 13:36 local time
Trailbreaker finished with one pothole, a number of SpaceNut posts, and 17 posts to edit.
Edits are complete. Inspector will check the work.

Inspector reported all is well with today's batch.

Work on the new Audit command is progressing. The scaffolding is installed and tested with success.

The procedure where processing is to take place is ready for the next work session.

Given the current text from the current ID will be saved in a variable, the new procedure needs to find the corresponding text in the input file, compare the two, and report the results. One work session should be enough to complete the new command.  A data file for posts 1-300 is ready to go.

Update next day: The ReScan to 53000 finished with a Green screen.

Completed Sequence for ID: 53000

Starting Number: 52001

Last Number of Run: 53000

Summary for Web Automation Report for 05-27-2022 at 07:01:10
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:24

Total time of Processing: 06:47:26

Edits: Zero
Good run!

(th)

#2197 2022-05-26 07:29:33

kbd512
Administrator

Last night I posted in the "Large Ship" manufacturing thread.  We finally have a chance to speak with someone (John Blincow) who receives real money and real support for designing and fabricating very large structures in space (funded by the W.M. Keck Institute of CalTech).  I'm going to take this opportunity to advance our sheet metal fabrication ideas with someone who is willing to listen and has real experience with designing and testing space fabrication hardware.  John's last project was a large / fast truss structure generator.

#2198 2022-05-26 07:57:03

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re initiative with John Blincow!

Best wishes for success as you pursue this.

You already have the needed contacts with the North Houston chapter so setting up a presentation should go smoothly.  The leadership are looking for presenters, and this gent sure comes across as really interesting if you can persuade him to offer the time he'll need to prepare and deliver a talk.

Beyond that, as I understand the longish post in the spacecraft design topic, there would appear to be opportunities for knowledgeable people to contribute to human progress in this field, and to receive compensation for their efforts.  I sure hope that is the case!

(th)

#2199 2022-05-26 16:44:36

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... i'm attending a meeting online so will post this here ... it can go multiple places...

I ** think ** this might be a way for you to harvest potable water from your ground water supply .... it might also work for the cloud harvester drone!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/inc … 00537.html

Incredible new gel film transforms air into drinking water
Joshua Hawkins
Wed, May 25, 2022, 6:00 PM

Researchers at the University of Texas at Austin have created a water harvesting gel capable of pulling buckets of water out of thin air. What makes this gel so intriguing, and possibly revolutionary, is its low cost and easy creation process.

This new water harvesting gel can literally pull water from thin air

How it looks from the side

The water harvesting gel is so cheap to make thanks to its two primary ingredients. The first, cellulose, comes from the cell walls of plants. As such, it’s widely available and easy to obtain. The second ingredient, konjac gum, is a food additive that is widely used throughout the world.

The two ingredients combine together to make the gel film that is responsible for absorbing water from the air. Once absorbed, too, the gel can easily release it without requiring much energy to do so. But how does it work?

According to the paper the researchers published in Nature Communications, the porous structure of the gun attracts the water in the air around it. It then condenses inside the gel, storing it. To release it, though, all you need to do is apply gentle heat to the cellulose. When met with gentle heat, the cellulose turns hydrophobic and releases the captured water. This allows the water harvesting gel to do its job.

During tests, the water harvesting gel was able to absorb 13 liters (3.4 gallons) of water per day in an area with a humidity of 30 percent. Even when the humidity dropped to 15 percent, the gel produced more than 6 liters (1.6 gallons) a day. The researchers also believe they can improve the efficiency of the gel, which would make it able to absorb even more water from the air around it.

Making the gel
how researchers made water harvesting gel

How it works is impressive. But the most impressive thing about this cheap water harvesting gel, is that it’s easy to make, too.

The researchers say that all you need to do to make the gel is mix the basic ingredients together. Once mixed, you pour the ingredients into a mold and it has to set for two minutes. From there, they freeze-dried the product and peeled it out of the mold.

At that point, the gel is ready to get to work. Plus, you can scale it easily and shape it any way you want.

We’ve seen similar water harvesters that draw water from the air in the past. But, because it’s so easily producible at a low cost, this water harvesting gel could be a revolutionary way to address the water scarcity plaguing our planet.

Click here to read the full article.

See the original version of this article on BGR.com

Here's a link to the full article: https://bgr.com/science/incredible-new- … ing-water/

(th)

#2200 2022-05-27 05:04:33

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiative...

Today's Trailbreaker will try for 53400.

The next ReScan will be scheduled when Trailbreaker crosses 54000.

Work on Auditor will continue if time permits.

Work on Auditor includes addition of a new command to the Extract utility.
Input data to the Auditor run is stored in memory, so the input file should be as small as possible.
An additional option for the Extract utility will remove lines based upon a match condition.
The output file is the inverse of the normal Extract mode, which is to select lines that match.

Today's Trailbreaker finished with a Green screen:

Completed Sequence for ID: 53400

Total Command Lines found: 52
Total input Lines in script: 177

Starting Number: 53101

Last Number of Run: 53400

Summary for Web Automation Report for 05-27-2022 at 13:06:05
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:37
62 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 03:04:05

Potholes: one
Skip Analysis: 62 skips <<-- less 45 >> 17 non-SpaceNut posts to edit
  Lines containing String One 122 <<== skip signal - usually two but sometimes one per post
  Lines containing String Two 90 <<== 45 SpaceNut posts

All 17 posts that needed attention are squared away.

Inspector will now check the work.

The next ReScan is a couple of days out, when Trailbreaker crosses 54000

update at 17:30 local time. Inspector reported a clean sweep.

Tomorrow's Trailbreaker will try for 53700

(th)

Board footer