New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2020-07-28 11:57:20

SeaDragon
Banned

Martian Industry Subforum

Hi All!
Is there currently anywhere to post concerning industrial chemistry/factories/production processes etc.?
Currently I'm not sure where to put discussions about eg the best ways to get useful materials from Martian soil, chemical reactor design, pros and cons of different battery types and so on, not sure if they fit within the current forums.

I'm new here so obviously if there's a place for this sort of thing already or some other solution and I've not seen it please accept my apology and hopefully also redirect me but failing this I humbly offer a new "Martian Industry" subforum as a suggestion.

#2 2020-07-28 17:48:32

tahanson43206

Re: Martian Industry Subforum

For SeaDragon re #1

The topic you've proposed looks worth pursuing.

SpaceNut may prefer another index level ... Meta New Mars may not be the best fit.

I'd like to invite you to take a look at My Hacienda.

Inspired by a member named Louis, I've been attempting to assemble a group of 2750 individuals willing to specialize in a technology or capability that would combine to make up a community able to live comfortably on Mars without dependency on Earth.

So far no one has accepted the opportunity, but Mars is patient << grin >>

(th)

#3 2020-07-29 16:15:09

SeaDragon
Banned

Hi tahanson,

That sounds interesting - my mission statement is basically to make a new and technologically advanced civilisation in Space, I love the idea of having a group that works together to design stuff! Do you have an online hangout etc. for My Hacienda?

Actually, a Skype/Discord chat with anyone interested in developing technologies to make this all possible is my idea of a perfect night in, if anyone's up for this/if there's already something like this going please let me know.

(Phil)

Last edited by SeaDragon (2020-07-29 16:15:36)

#4 2020-07-29 16:33:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

Many of what you have are support functions of existing folders; but creation with topic movement would need to happen with the webmaster to do a new topic folder area.

my hacienda

#5 2020-07-29 17:45:58

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... thanks for your guidance and support for SeaDragon's initiative ...

It seems to me the subtopic can earn a place at the Index level.  Let's see what happens as SeaDragon develops his ideas.

For SeaDragon ... congratulations for launching this new subtopic ... It appears that SpaceNut moved it out of Meta New Mars, and Science, Technology and Astronomy is a good place for the new venture to develop.  If it is good enough to earn it's place at the top Index level, we'll find out soon enough.

It is possible you are not yet up to date on the limitations of the FluxBB environment.  It is quite powerful in many important respects, but it does not provide a built in indexing system for useful threads.  I've been using a "finder" method based upon a search string to which I attach a modifier for the item I want to find again.

The archive of this forum is filled with 20 (or so) years worth of thought.  Many of the participants are now only lingering ghosts of earlier times, but their posts are alive and well, and available by search, or just by starting at the beginning of topics and reading through.

If you intend (as I hope you do) to build something of lasting value in this (somewhat limited) environment, you can build in your own structure.

For example, the first post in this new topic can become the repository of an index/table-of-contents.

You are the owner of that post, so you can edit it to point to sequences you want to remember, or to which you want to direct others.

(th)

#6 2020-08-01 06:05:47

SeaDragon
Banned

Thanks SpaceNut and tahanson, My Hacienda's an interesting concept!

Really I was hoping to just design new technologies/freely associate rather than index materials. My room's an absolute mess, piles of paper and open books everywhere, that's just how I roll. It may be that YouTube or equivalent is more my style, in which case I'll surely put links here so that a record of sorts can be kept - being video rather than written it may be more likely to attract a wider viewership and get more people on board with Mars colonisation which is really what I want. Thank you for introducing me to My Hacienda though and if you have any technical posts (particularly with equations and diagrams) on this forum's huge archive that you think I should see please link me to them. Basically I've taken Elon's mandate to Dr Zubrin to apply to me as well as him: “spread the word on the unlimited future opened by making humanity space-faring.”
https://www.marssociety.org/news/2020/0 … -in-texas/

A collection of tech concepts within this thread may well be a step in the right direction for this but I'm not sure enough people will see it, nonetheless I suppose it's a nice way to get my thoughts together and get feedback so thanks for putting this thread here and we'll see how it goes.

#7 2020-08-01 06:34:11

tahanson43206

For SeaDragon re #6

Thanks for taking a look at My Hacienda, and for considering this new topic as a place to drop off ideas (or links to videos) from time to time.

The potential of My Hacienda exists in the potential for this forum to provide a place for folks who are serious about building up a civilization on Mars to assemble their ideas and lists of materials and skills.  So far (to my knowledge) we do not yet have anyone working on building a plot, but that could happen at any time.

The "owner" of a plot is the "owner" of a database record in the NewMars database.  What goes into that record is up to the "owner", but it could include everything needed to establish and sustain a business on Mars, in a community of at least 2750 specialties.

The PlotMaster record itself is an example of how a database record can be enhanced and extended over time.  SpaceNut and I have contributed entries as we think of specialties that will be needed, and we have a couple thousand specialties to go.

Edit#1: In honor of SeaDragon's initiative, I have added to PlotMaster:

0082 Vendor #1: Trolley Power Distribution Transportation system vendor.  Provide overhead line for land vehicles.
0083 Vendor #2: Trolley Power Distribution Transportation system vendor.  Provide overhead line for land vehicles.
0084 Vendor #3: Trolley Power Distribution Transportation system vendor.  Provide overhead line for land vehicles.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-08-01 07:10:16)

#8 2020-08-01 11:20:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

SeaDragon. My Hacienda is about future industries which we would want to build out from each self sufficient landing plot ownership to build community.
Much like trains, power we will need vehicle making industry to build Light weight rover for Mars,
Steam powered rovers which could be a variety of working fluids, designing
vehicles that could be Running on Compressed Air? and short use human powered Quadracycles plus

Board footer