New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2020-03-01 10:52:20

SpaceNut
Administrator

Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topics:

logo-small.png

This is a topic to place benchmark forum discusions to in hopes to attract new members.
A short summary of discusion or topic intent has been posted with main link to locate.

Thanks goes to tahanson43206, for suggesting a Recruiting Section for NewMars Forum:

While we encourage out of the box thinking we also need those that can run the calculations too in order to solve the issues that are presented.

Several initiatives are underway, and opportunities exist for volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit:

We are striving to make the site a productive forum for garnering people to mars though discusion. We are developing Mars Society or NewMars mission or charter statement to allow for the sustainability of the forum that has been funded and provided by The Mars Society,

Lets use this engineering art, the knowledge of the 50 plus club as a introduction area for what area of expertise one might have to bring to a topic.

1) kbd512 recently initiated a proposal to launch a passenger carrying vehicle from Earth using US Navy style electromagnetic acceleration
electromagnetic launch with microwave propulsion

2) Calliban has been working for some time on an outreach goal of capturing/mining an asteroid. Recent activity includes cocoon wrapping.
Colonizing / terraforming small asteroids
2a) other possible destinations Near Earth Object (NEO) missions
There are many rocks that come as well as go to target  inside mars orbit and beyond mars as well.

3) Calliban has also proposed the use of electromagnetic acceleration of mass from the Moon. This is NOT the Gerard O'Neill mass launcher.
Un-conventional ways to LEO

4) tahanson43206 with the My Hacienda, set up to encourage up to 2750 forum members to build a virtual business community to launch and provide a self sufficient plot with a trade business as plots established in Sagan City (2018). Each participant "claims" a square kilometer of surface, and shares below surface with the community, in the economy of a thriving interdependent free market, to provide at least one product or service for others to purchase.
My Hacienda On Mars
4a) possible test site location Testing My Hacienda On Mars Society Devon Island
4b) another possible site to test Testing My Hacienda on Svalbard Islands
Other plausible locations are probable for setting up a self sustainable colony using a drop of resources and just communication to make everything that one needs to survive as if they just landed on mars.

#2 2020-03-01 11:19:40

tahanson43206

Re: Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topics:

SearchTerm:Essay questions for candidates for admission to NewMars forum:

Applicants are requested to provide two short essay-like responses to the questions:

From SpaceNut: How did you find out about the forum?
From kbd512: How would you like to help the forum?

Responses will be posted here (in this topic) for evaluation by the Administrators, Moderators and members.

Upon acceptance, the candidate will be offered one of the Recovered ID's previously created by spammers, and re-purposed for ** real ** persons.

For Noah (and all other candidates to help out in the NewMars forum) ... please send your reply to NewMarsMember * gmail.com
For SpaceNut re #1 and topic in general

Thank you for launching this encouraging new topic!

Edit#1 (2021/02/13) Links to topics with frequent use:

Current Recruiting presentation: (eg, requests for short essays by SpaceNut and kbd512 to be completed by candidates upon application)
Link:
Current Open Positions:
Link:

This post is reserved for text for a model Letter to the Editor for forum members to copy and then adapt to their particular audience.

SearchTerm:ModelLetterToEditor
SearchTerm:LetterToTheEditor
SearchTerm:RecruitNewMars
SearchTerm:RecruitingExpertiseForNewMars
SearchTerm:References for topic

The letter will (or could) [when finished] contain a brief summary of the volunteer opportunity.

Examples will become available when Calliban and kbd512 (more names will surely follow) create task descriptions for their initiatives.

The letter will (or should) contain a brief summary of the place of the NewMars forum in the outerglow of the Mars Society.

Finally, the letter will (or should) contain a brief explanation of the Open Source Project system, as exemplified by Ubuntu, Thunderbird and countless other software products which are developed and maintained by (mostly) volunteers, with donations sustaining the effort over time.

Suggestions for content for the letter are invited in posts below this one.  I will undertake to blend suggestions into text which can be copied by members (or by forum readers with an interest in the projects).

(th)

References:

#1) Training Manual gifted by employee of Turner Construction

Training Manual: Building Exceptional Leaders one at a time
Turner Leadership Institute [FMI]

FMI Center for Strategic Leadership [Building Exceptional Leaders]

FMI is the largest provider of management consulting, investment banking and research to the engineering and construction industry.
We work in all segments of the industry providing clients with value-added business solutions, including:

<list>

Founded by Dr. Emol A. Fails in 1953, FMI has professionals in offices across the U.S.

#2)

Leading the Way to Successful Volunteer Involvement
Practical Tools for Busy Executives
Betty B. Stallingss with Susan J. Ellis
ISBN-13: 978-0-940576-61-2 Paperback
Extended UPC 9 780940 576612 90000
(c) 2010
Published by
Energize, Inc
5450 Wissahickon Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19144

Model Text follows:

Volunteer Space Development Opportunity

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-10 22:18:39)

#3 2020-03-02 13:00:19

tahanson43206

For all ...

This topic was created to provide a place for suggestions for text that could be included in Letters to the Editor or similar outreach initiatives to appropriate organizations.  There are initiatives under  discussion in the forum which have potential for development as real-world projects.  These initiatives are by their very nature large in scale and in need of large numbers of personnel to carry them forward.

(th)

#4 2020-03-02 18:19:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

5) Topic targets the efficiency that we need for a mars solution New Solar Power Technology
5a) How to make the use plausible for Going Solar...the best solution for Mars
5b) Topic started by another to create for mars subject Louis' Solar Power Strategy
The solar is for easy of deployment, minimal mass and still having the fullest of power that we require for small to large mission platform design and use.

6) A Louis topic Power to gas - the next step
6a) How do we move the creation Power to gas is the way forward for storage

Both (5&6) the creation of solar power and conversion to a storeable are a means for mars and even for earth as we want to make use of surplus energy to store energy for later use but also it will give us practice for capturing CO2 for earth too as well as making the fuel for safe use.

7) collective topic for mars use Power Distribution by pipelines on Mars
Material engineering topic for insitu material creation, manufacturing to allow for the movement of fuels, oxygen, water and energy to other remote sites as well as to storage locations.

8) SpaceNut created for mars test Designing the best greenhouse demonstrator for Mars Target is to land and automate the first crop growth within a controlled environment of natural to covered lighting at minimal energy , water use from seeds to full grown.
8a) would embody the wealth of experience gained to make a Greenhouses

#5 2020-03-03 17:18:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

We have several insitu mars resources to utilize for man to be able to stay and have it be sustainable.

9) atmospheric use of Co2 to make thermal solar energy with a Mars Atmospheric Kinetic Engine as noted mars night temperature is close to the dry ice creating level and with a little help we can collect it on a plate for use in that form.

9a) the use of power to seperate co2 into oxygen for use in life support Moxie and only Moxie of course the result is Oxygen for the crew and co that would be useful to Carbon Monoxide - a way to power Mars? in fuel cell, Reverse gas shift to water in a reactor simular to the sabetier which is used to make methane and water. Where the remaining co use is in steel manufacturing.

9b) waste not want not after the energy has been used to gather the co2 from the atmospher, as it leaves many useful buffer gasses and with further use as Compressed gas energy storage.

10) water from Ice deposit on Mars holds as much water as Lake Superior, researchers which will have several methods to remove, gather and purify for use. It of course is high on the list of priorities of use in fuel manufacturing as well as for consumption by man and plant.

#6 2020-03-07 10:13:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

tahanson43206 wrote:

SpaceNut re this topic and others ... In order to make progress on this topic and others in the forum archive, it would seem (to me at least) helpful to add to the group of already highly qualified participants who contribute here.  I remain hopeful that individuals with PhD level standing will be willing to take the risk of helping to move this topic (and others like Calliban's Spider) along, but the feedback I am getting is not encouraging.  This forum is not regarded (at present) as a venue where a hard earned reputation can be justifiably put at risk.

The most promising avenue for pulling in PhD level people is ** before ** they've earned that standing!  A college student, and even a person working on a thesis, has some leeway in the kinds of venues they can join.

This topic needs lots of assistance from people with skills, education and experience that are NOT academic in nature.  I am thinking here of those who would help locate land for a launch facility, as well as those who would explore with US Military departments the potential funding opportunity that would arise from an highly efficient, very reliable and high performance electromagnetic launch facility.

In Louis we ** may ** have the nucleus of a finance branch of the effort, although even Louis might appreciate assistance from suitably qualified and experienced individuals.

(th)

I agree that we need people of capable degree and knowledge but its the focus of discusion that does not stay on topic that contribute to not seeing those people come here that we need.

In the past we have had a few people from Nasa read from the forum and they have meantion our name when they do submit work that is based off from a topics they are reading. From what I remember they never interact as they are on a government computer when reading and as such could not comment on business time.

Modish is the one which was on the forum that got a job for Maven but can not comment as well for much of the same NDA I am sure prohibits it. Even I must walk a thin line for things I speak of.

#7 2020-03-07 15:18:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #6

I agree that we need people of capable degree and knowledge but its the focus of discusion that does not stay on topic that contribute to not seeing those people come here that we need.

Thanks for Post #6 and specifically the observation I quoted above.

RobertDyck has demonstrated how a well managed topic might look.  I have tried to follow his example, although the Lunar Launch Loop topic did stray into electromagnetic Launch (Rail gun, etc) variations. 

Never-the-less, I can imagine a collaboration between yourself (as Administrator) and a willing Topic Manager, to insure that a given topic stays on track.

You have already demonstrated a willingness and ability to use the powers of your office to manage the forum.  I can only speak for myself, of course, but my impression is that every decision you have made (that I'm aware of) I would agree with.

You've made short work of spammers, for starters.

You've gone a small distance beyond the spammers, by removing posts from folks who are clearly not here to take part in the activities of the forum. 

In addition, and this is where I see the most potential, you have used your powers to manage (to some extent) the flow of content, by copying and pasting new posts into another topic as seem appropriate and helpful to the overall mission of the forum.

Now to the bottom line:

I would like to see the (to me very interesting) topic recently started by kbd512, (electromagnetic launch and microwave boost) given an extended run by supporting kbd512 in any requests he may have to help to keep the topic on track.

In this scenario, kbd512 would remain the creator and thus the manager of the topic, but he could call upon your services (if you agree) to remove posts that might inadvertently distract from the focus of the topic.

This would represent an additional responsibility for your position.

Perhaps kbd512 already has the ability to manage a topic, because he is a Moderator?

I would like to see the topic, (assuming kbd512 agrees and supports the goal), continue to attract real-world data until it contains everything a proposal writer would need to satisfy one of three audiences:

1) A branch of the US Military interested in having a reliable, efficient, all-weather launch system under its immediate control
2) A civilian entity interested in competing in the launch business, and willing to make the billions of (currency) investment (US or global)
3) A public-private partnership, such as a State of the United States wanting to compete in this particular arena

Edit#1: For SpaceNut .... an example of how easily a topic can go wildly careening off in a completely different direction is the introduction of the B-36 bomber to the discussion of Electromagnetic Launch by GW Johnson.  The flow was natural ... GW started out talking about the idea of using EM launch to boost B-36 bombers during takeoff.  He innocently asked if anyone in the forum even ** knew ** was a B-36 was/is ... The Topic creator picked up the branch off topic and carried it forward.  In this case, we have two forum principals interacting. 

A possible scenario that ** might ** work would be to have a topic set up for Off Topic discussions.  That ** could ** work if both parties agree to use the option.

In this case, were the topic in place, and (equally importantly) if GW Johnson were willing to use it, then he could have said:

"Does anyone in the forum remember the B-36"  "Meet me in Off-Topic if you do" (or words along those lines)

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-03-07 18:32:27)

#8 2020-08-16 08:25:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

Artificial Gravity Space Designing

tahanson43206 wrote:

Call for contribution by forum readers ...

At present this forum does not include a member with the capability to run a computer model of habitat modules rotating in either a single mode, or in the contra-rotating mode suggested by kbd512.

If there is a reader who could help with understanding of the situation, please consider registering and making a post or two.

This would be a (relatively) complex simulation program (as I am imagining it).  The masses inside the rotor would be moving around at different rates and to varying degrees in a random manner, but (it seems likely) most of the activity would occur close to the outer rim of the habitat. 

The information to be generated would inform designers of the forces that would ultimately arrive at the axle bearings of the system, where they would need to be addressed.

A strategy for mass management inside a rotating habitat that may be worth investigating is movement of mass (eg, water) to maintain a balance of the habitat as humans move about, or as mass is transferred from one location to another to meet requirements.

Energy required to maintain a balance in this manner (or in any manner) would be an investment in the safety and comfort of passengers that must be factored into the ticket price.

#9 2020-08-24 11:26:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

tahanson43206 wrote:

For SpaceNut re NewMars forum membership growth ...

I (vaguely) recall you set up a topic for recruiting members, but I couldn't find it when I went looking today.

I wanted to post this reminder:

Registration in the forum is open to anyone.  Failures of the registration system do occur from time to time, but it appears that spammers have no difficulty in creating fake accounts, so even if the first ID you try doesn't work, just keep trying until NewMars accepts the request.   Then you can communicate with SpaceNut, and ask for help setting up the ID you want to use.

Another suggestion is to try a different email service ... occasionally a particular email provider is blocked for some reason.  There are numerous providers of free email service, so if the Registration Confirmation Email does not arrive from NewMars forum after you have applied, try another email provider.

(th)

#10 2020-08-30 06:40:18

tahanson43206

Call for Assistance

There are opportunities for NewMars forum readers to assist with technical discussions, from time to time.

In the Large Ship topic, there are opportunities to assist with structural design, as well as large object momentum simulation to assist in understanding how such objects would behave in free space.

In the topic "CO2 Sublimination Heat Engine" there is an opportunity for a person with mechanical engineering skills to help in understanding requirements for design of a practical dry ice boiler for use on Mars.  Applications include mobile systems capable of delivering gas under pressure to power tools.

Edit#1: The culture of this forum has encouraged creative thinking, and the forum archive is filled with hundreds if not thousands of posts which reflect that. A part of the collection tends toward more practical application of some of the ideas on offer.

I'd like to see the proportion of practical application increase without ** any ** lessening of the flow of creativity.  Ultimately, settlers on Mars are going to be tested by reality, and the equipment, knowledge, skill and ability to deal with challenges they bring to bear will determine the degree of success they achieve.

This forum is as good a place as any for a repository of useful knowledge to reside. 

A related need is for knowledge to be available by efficient search.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-08-30 06:49:26)

#11 2020-09-27 08:47:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

tahanson43206 wrote:

For SpaceNut re #312 ... thanks for the follow up!  It was interesting to pick up the thread.

New (old) topic .... this is a good time (all times are good but now is better) to think about how to recruit talented people who are knowledgeable about structural engineering, and willing to learn about the special challenges of aerospace engineering. 

Have you given thought to how you would like to go about bringing new people into the forum to assist with ongoing projects?

Every forum member has access to the media in the local community.  "Letters to the Editor" are a time honored way to extend ideas to the local community, but admittedly the audience is limited to those who actually read the editorial section of the local paper (as one example).

Perhaps a communication to a media resource dedicated to engineering is a better bet.  Colleges that offer engineering courses might be willing to post something in the college newsletter.

At some point, RobertDyck's concept may reach sufficient maturity to be worth a glance by a movie producer.  We are a way from that point, at present.

How is recovery of the computer coming along?

(th)

Yes Universities and any other college settings would be the reach out point. At one time Mars Society did have many active chapters. This seems to be a steering committee directive that seems to have fallen to the wayside.

http://chapters.marssociety.org/

#12 2020-09-27 09:55:10

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #11 ... Thanks for that ** very ** helpful follow up!

As I looked over the list of previous Mars Society activities, I saw a couple that might lend themselves to online/virtual achievements, but most appeared (at first glance) to be more traditional, in depending upon local members to complete the hard work that is required to accomplish anything.

The NewMars forum, and specifically RobertDyck's initiative, are potential well springs for virtual/online activities.

Before we get very far into this, I'd like to invite your feedback on how you would imagine managing an influx of new members who are focused upon specific goals.  The freedom provided by the existing structure creates temptations that can pull people into emotionally charged arguments that (by observation) tend to lead to locked positions and unhelpful behavior.

Edit#2: The danger I see is having ** too ** many active participants.  Part of the charm of this forum is the fact (a) it is ** small ** and (b) it has persisted for almost 20 years.  It is possible (with a bit of effort) to keep up with topics that are active in the forum, and not be overwhelmed if an effort is made to check out each post that comes in.  I tend to save time and energy by steering clear of the Chat topics, and appreciate the self discipline of members who honor the boundaries that allow for separation of content.

I would imagine that part of the reason we don't see working professionals in this forum is the high risk of public exposure to people from disparate backgrounds and with wildly disparate points of view.

I am hoping that there is a way to draw in folks who have ** just ** retired from high intensity positions in aerospace and related technical fields, who still have the energy and enthusiasm to take on a serious study of what it will take to set up shop on Mars, ** and ** to document the results of the study so those results can be found efficiently by young people who will (I am confident) set goals for themselves to succeed in the Mars venture.

There is a window of opportunity here, from (about) 65 to (about) 75 years of age.  We have seen that members who are well beyond the 75 figure can and do make significant contributions, so there is definitely hope on the upside.

Edit#1: There is ** also ** hope in the under-65 cohort. We have seen recent examples of individuals taking the risk of participating in this forum, and contributing significant ideas (a) and (b) suggestions for improvement of ideas of others.

This topic is perfect for working up text that can be published in various media to try to find people who are still inside that window of opportunity.

Since you are the defacto "Great Leader" of this outfit, please toss out an idea or two for an advertisement you'd like to see.

Others can build on whatever you provide, until the result passes muster with you and with potential recipients.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-09-27 10:01:55)

#13 2020-09-27 10:06:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

The is away to create a second tier folder that is hidden from regular members and would require a higher level of member login. We did have this elite member group set up in the past for the more technical work. This was prior to the great crash. I did reach out to webmaster but did not hear back for the creation of business opportunities and will need to try again as the email may have gone into a spam inbox folder.

#14 2020-09-27 10:12:22

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #13

Thank you for this interesting and encouraging report!

One difference to keep in mind is that FluxBB may not support features that may have existed in the previous web forum package.

FluxBB.org is available for study.  I have received assistance there in the past, but most of the support activity is at a much higher level.  It seems to serve primarily those who have downloaded the package and are trying to set it up for use by "customers".  A few support sequences are initiated by experienced forum managers who are needing new features, or help installing new features.

Edit#1 ... If a separate forum/tier ** is ** created, I think that a summary of the proceedings should be posted to the current NewMars site, to keep casual readers informed, and perhaps to interest them in participating.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-09-27 10:14:08)

#15 2020-11-16 09:15:54

tahanson43206

The recruiting objective highlighted in this post is a Chef to assist RobertDyck in planning food provision for the Large Ship topic.

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 55#p173455

For the time being, new admissions to this forum will by by invitation only, through SpaceNut.

If you (a registered member not in banned status) have a nomination for Chef, please notify SpaceNut.

The Spam ID's created by robot software are being converted so they can be used for new members.

(th)

#16 2020-11-16 18:07:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Part of the reason for a Chef is due to the unknown menus which must be made from the readily available ingrediencies selection to produce a menu of rotating foods for the crews and passengers to eat. Most start with a menu and go backwards to what needs to be supplied for raw stock materials.

The other part of the chefs chore is to know what there is to be made with what utensils and other equipment which as is part of the duties.
If you have no input into either aspect then you are just a cook....

#17 2020-11-16 18:25:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #16

I agree that RobertDyck would (most likely) appreciate the advice of someone who has experience planning for an extended voyage with 1000+ customers.  Such a person would (presumably) have experience hiring the appropriate personnel (including cooks), and procuring the needed supplies, as well as specifying the equipment needed.  A space ship on this scale will surely be using very advanced (light weight) cooking and food preparation equipment, as well as food preservation technology that takes advantage of the special benefits of the space environment.

There is (most likely) no one on Earth who can wear all the hats needed for this part of RobertDyck's vision, but a good start should be possible with an experienced chef.

(th)

#18 2020-11-16 22:03:10

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

Maybe he should talk to the CO or XO of a cruise ship.  I'll bet they have the kind of experience he's interested in.

#19 2020-11-17 06:20:43

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re #18

Thanks for picking up on the Recruiting topic, and for adding a helpful suggestion.

There is a rule-of-thumb that there are six degrees of separation (on average) between any member of a network and any other member.

Thus, (if the rule holds for this situation), there are (on average) four people between ourselves (members of this forum) and the CO or XO of a cruise ship.

This is a particularly good time to approach such a person, because cruise ships are sitting idle, but the owners are reluctant to lay off staff.

I caught a video recently of excursions from a seaport in England to ride around cruise ships moored in the harbor.  The cruise ship officer on duty sounded the fog horn to the delight of the tourists.

It takes a bit of effort to explore connections like this, but the payoff could be a valuable contributor to RobertDyck's project.

I know a fair number of really good cooks, but I don't know a professional chef, as RobertDyck has reported.  However, I ** do ** know the host of a local radio show who regularly invites local professional chefs to talk about their restaurants and their cuisine.

There may be a member of the forum who has similar connections that could lead to an opportunity to ask a real chef if they have time to think about RobertDyck's challenging situation.

Thanks again for supporting the Recruiting topic!

We have a long way to go, to convert Robot created Spam ID's to creative, productive members, but we can start with the Chef request.

(th)

#20 2020-11-18 09:47:17

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... LinkedIn just sent me an email about an anniversary for an employee of Redhat ...

LinkedIn might be a venue where this forum could advertise for volunteers to fill specific roles in support of RobertDyck and his Large Ship project.

I'm not particularly well informed about how to use LinkedIn ... I've been content to keep track of friends as their careers progress, which LinkedIn is good at doing.

Perhaps there are fees involved in advertising.  It would be understandable.

On the other hand, perhaps there is a free-to-try option.

Once a month or so LinkedIn sends me a list of positions available in the areas that the LinkedIn AI seems to think I am a good fit.  I'm a bit skeptical of some of the suggestions it comes up with, but I suppose they are casting a wide net.

(th)

#21 2020-11-18 18:43:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

Another way to get people that believe in Mars society would be to set up accounts for all paying members with information requests to get involved in conversation and other such happenings to boost membership volunteerism.
All of the analog sites are dealing with the chef issue for feeding the small crews that do the work sessions when seasons will allow so Mars society already has a wealth of knowledge on how to feed a crew nutritionally.

#22 2020-11-18 19:12:01

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #21

Thanks for this glimpse of activities of the existing Mars Society membership ... You might well be on to something there ... not everyone who takes part in the simulation runs is involved in planning ... perhaps there are a few members who specialize in planning, and in evaluating how the plans work out.

Such a person might be interested in the much larger challenge of RobertDyck's concept ...

One thing I'm absolutely sure of ... centuries of human maritime experience confirm that good meals and plenty of them are a major factor in maintenance of good morale.  The related contributor to sustained high morale is shown by the ISS activity, which keeps everyone extremely busy most of the time.

Since you and I appear to be the only forum members currently posting along these lines, perhaps we can cobble together some draft language for a post in the Mars Society forum.  I understand from your previous mention of the Mars Society forum that you have invited participants there to visit over here, but we have not yet found the right formula to keep them interested once they show up.

(th)

#23 2020-11-19 19:31:58

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thinking about the current less than active list for the forum it might be possible that we might get them reinterested in at least the forums discussions once more with an out reach email check as they may need an account password reset to get them back in as well as to identify that we have removed the domain www. to the websites domain name of which that could be hindering some as well from logging.
Maybe James could do a mass emailer to get attention back to the forum as well.

#24 2020-11-21 10:42:47

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut (primarily), and for anyone else interested in helping with the recruiting of new, high value forum members ...

A political organization that somehow got my email address sent me a link to an offer that caught my eye ... I'm not interested in supporting their project, but I ** did ** like what I saw them doing in trying to help ordinary citizens to prepare letters to the editor.

I went to their web site, deleted their sample text, and put in a draft of something that might be useful for NewMars ...

Step 1: Enter your name and zip code
Step 2: Write your letter
Search
Newspapers

<< Here a list of five local newspapers appeared, based upon my zip code >>

Please let us know if a newspaper is missing from this list.

Recruiting Talent for NewMars.com/forums
Dear editor,

258 words remaining

The NewMars.com/forum is looking for volunteers to help develop a Large Passenger space vessel for the Earth-Mars trade.  Candidates will be retired from regular employment, and willing to donate time and some effort to assist the Mars Society with this ambitions project.

Sincerely,
[your name will go here]
[your email address will go here] [your location will go here]

Based on your postal code, your letter will be automatically submitted to your 5 closest newspapers.

That is an impressive effort on the organization's part, and I hope they achieve some success without my support.

However, the basic idea ** could ** work for members of this forum, some of whom live in large metropolitan areas around the world.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-11-21 10:43:06)

#25 2020-11-21 12:10:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thinking of newspaper connection would possibly need Mars Society to funnel such an effort through where it is to put an effort into a non commodity for design that we have no funding to do.

The premise also held for the Super Falcon Heavy moon mission designing that was thought of before being silent on the newmars.com home page. All of which meant designing the moon lander and other such support items to bring it into a possible contender for Mars Society recruiting.

It seems that Mars Societies quest is still looking for others to make Mars a reality even with all that it can do with the analog sites.

So how do we or can we change that mind set.

Board footer