New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#101 2019-10-01 16:22:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: My Hacienda On Mars

Now for others to see these events we need a mars recording and television system, whether this is digital or network streamed....

That also mean minor as well pro-teams of each to make the competing aspects of the sports work. This brings in sports doctors, trainers and so many more jobs to fill mars up with for each of the different sporting activity. Sure rules will adapt and weighting of the people will be needed but it would be interesting still to watch. Fanning out from those when we have many cities we can then launch an Olympics and such events.

#102 2019-10-01 16:24:35

SpaceNut
Administrator

Reposting for the other businesses that mars could have:

RobertDyck wrote:

Winnipeg has cultural facilities for hoity-toity people: Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Centennial Concert Hall, Pantages Playhouse Theater (live theater), Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre, Warehouse Theatre, Winnipeg Art Gallery. There's also the Manitoba Museum with attached Planetarium and Science Centre. Guess which I'm interested in

#103 2019-10-01 16:26:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

The plots for entertainment keeps growing as we think of mars growing in population. All work and no play makes us a very dull people's....

#104 2019-10-10 09:28:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re topic in general ...

Edit 2019/10/14 Revising post meeting:

A (now) longer term concept is to prepare a low key poster board style presentation on a rotating small mammal habitat for Low Earth Orbit deployment.

The purpose would be to evaluate the effect of .38 Gravity on reproduction of Earth mammals.

An interest along these lines would lead to launch of a rotating habitat for Low Earth Orbit, to simulate .38 gravity while maintaining all other variables as close to Earth normal as possible.

In particular, this would include daily interaction (via telepresence) of care givers with the animals chosen for the experiment.  Since the animals under consideration are highly social, the psychological needs of the subjects would be part of the experiment protocol.

To make the proposal even more palatable to the intended audience, i would propose to return the subject animals to Earth after a reproductive cycle, so that the newborn can be given the same introduction to people they receive on Earth today.

In any case, what I'll be looking for is feedback (doubt, concerns, encouragement, etc) from the audience.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2019-10-14 06:47:19)

#105 2019-10-17 08:04:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

Missing for all of the plots is central space port command structure, satellite launch build for communications, land communications such as in cellphone com ect, rocket factory for import export logistics.

#106 2019-10-17 08:22:49

RobertDyck
Website

Tom, ISS was supposed to have a Centrifuge Accommodation Module to do exactly that. The US cancelled it, the Italy paid for it and Japan built it. It was sitting in the staging building at KSC awaiting launch, but never was. Some at NASA wanted one more Shuttle flight to launch it, and there was one more ET. But if anything went wrong they wouldn't be able to send another Shuttle for rescue so Obama wouldn't permit it. There was also a proposal called TransLife which would have done what you're proposing as a standalone satellite. Didn't happen.

I still think we need the Centrifuge module for ISS. It could be launch d on Atlas V and a Cygnus service module could rendezvous with ISS for berthing. Think of a normal Cygnus mission but with a whole station module instead of the pressurized cargo module.

#107 2019-10-17 12:34:22

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck ...

Thanks for this (to me important) reminder of work already done and potentially still viable.

By any chance, is there a way to find out if the equipment is still stored somewhere?

The way things are going, Elon might be willing to toss it up if a GoFundMe operation comes up with enough to cover it.

Re-reading your post ... the module might not work other than with the ISS ?

(th)

#108 2019-10-17 17:53:57

RobertDyck
Website

The module was designed to get power from ISS. Falcon 9 could probably launch it if expended. Falcon Heavy could with all 3 core stages recovered.

According to Wikipedia it's currently an outdoor display at Tsukuba Japan.
220px-Centrifuge_%28ISS%29_in_TKSC-01.jpg

Last edited by RobertDyck (2019-10-17 17:54:30)

#109 2019-10-17 18:55:27

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #108 ....

Thanks for finding that module!

The test subjects would have been moving fairly rapidly in that device, to achieve Mars gravity.

if we humans decide to try again, I hope the test rig will have a greater diameter, on the assumption higher level test subjects would appreciate it.

A dumbbell design (as discussed frequently in this forum) might include two modules like the one you showed in #108, spinning at the ends of a cable.

A power module (with solar panels) might sit in the hub of the spinning habitats.

(th)

#110 2019-10-17 19:11:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

You will find more in this topic International Space Station (ISS / Alpha)

Gave the artificial gravity topic a bump

#111 Yesterday 04:27:49

Terraformer
Website

If being used for exercise, how big does a centrifuge have to be? Could we do a full regimen lying down, allowing us to get away with quite a small radius?

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney

#112 Yesterday 04:42:45

tahanson43206

For Terraformer re #111

The "Gold Standard" for rotating habitats is the one worked out many decades ago for the Stanford Torus.

The optimum rate of rotation for humans is 1 RPM, so the size of the wheel you create is a function of the simulated gravity you need.

SpaceNut recently posted a link to a simulated gravity calculator, in another topic.

That said, this topic is intended for discussion of creating a virtual community of 2750 plots in Sagan City (2018).

I am actively recruiting individuals willing to take on the responsibility to develop practical plans for production of goods or delivery of services on Mars, as part of a community intended to collectively support a first world level of civilization.

In your case, I am hoping you will develop your previously posted ideas for growing bamboo and making paper.

Were you to decide to develop your ideas along these lines, the group would have the opportunity to see how it could meet your needs for supplies, as the principles of Specialization and Division of Labor work their magic.

(th)

#113 Yesterday 18:36:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

The fall for the area has lots of carnivals and fairs some small to quite large each having there own flair to what the attracction and flavor for the many to come to. The agricultural exhibit style is popular while others taylor there wares to rides and very animals or curcus acts. Some have crash up derbies from cars to busses and even car pit shows from jumping them throu hoops along with singing and so much more from the food to the trinket booths. Its a fun time to spend, spend spend for what you want to enjoy.

Board footer