New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#101 2016-09-04 23:03:34

Void

Re: 3D Printers

I ran across this:
http://sputniknews.com/society/20160106 … amics.html
If it is something that was discussed already, sorry.  I didn't see it.

Anyway, sounds like a good material.  For my part I was thinking heat shield.  I know that NASA has been looking at inflatable heat shields, but I think that this material might allow the construction of larger heat shields in orbit. 

The good part would be that you could overcome the size limitations imposed by a rocket shape.

The bad parts are you need a heating process like a kiln at high temperature to cure it.
I am thinking of orbital construction, which we are really not up to yet, but it is a good objective.

A solar heated Kiln I presume.  That could be a problem because it would have to be large, and it would have to stay hot whenever the sun was occulted by an object such as the Earth.

Otherwise I am wondering if there could be a way to heat up the object in sections, say under a concentrating mirror.  But then again, what happens if you are doing it in low Earth orbit, every time you pass to the night side of the planet.

I know I will get beat up for it but what I am speculating on is a heat shield which attaches to a lander, and the two together might resemble a badmitton shuttlecock (Or I would have said birdie).

Or an Eggshell, with the payload attached to one end of the "Egg".

I do not know enough about heat shield technology to go much farther with it.

My intention is to increase drag in the upper atmosphere, perhaps eliminating the need for a parachute, (Or not).

I would prefer to have some further use for the heat shield after landing, but it could also be ejected prior to landing.

For instance, a shuttlecock shape, if it can work as a heat shield might also be upended after landing to serve as a tower receiver for focused sunlight from heliostats.  An egg shape, as a tank of some kind?  Probably too fragile.

I am not saying I think I have a problem solved successfully, just that I have formulated a problem which might be solved by people who have better skills in the area, (Or not).

#102 2016-09-05 09:37:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

There are quite a few Aluminas, or aluminum oxides used in a veriety of products and locations... https://www.coorstek.com/english/soluti … hgodJZAPIA
Applications for where it can be used https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxide

#103 2017-01-13 22:44:15

SpaceNut
Administrator

We started to talk about using the advance technology for building but we need feed stock to make use of them...

Depending on what metals we are looking to use with the printer these are what they might cost to being
Titanium powder used to 3D print automotive parts

3D printing with metal has been prohibitively expensive because of the cost of titanium powders which currently sell for $200-$400 per kilogram.

DMLS uses a laser beam to melt 20-40 micron layers of metal powder on top of each other to create metal parts

Metal 3D Printing Materials
AlSi10Mg, Cobalt Chrome MP1, Maraging Steel MS1, Nickel Alloy IN718, Stainless Steel 316L, Stainless Steel GP1, Stainless Steel PH1

Metal Powders

#104 2017-07-06 20:54:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

Board footer