New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#176 2008-04-06 08:20:06

louis

Re: Space fairing Nations - The ever changing view

Yep, empty space politics since we're talking about Alaska and Greenland!
lol

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#177 2008-04-17 07:30:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Orginally the thread was created to track what nations were had started rocket developement and projects that would allow for a manned mission from there efforts.

So is this the near term future for the US while we wait for the orion?

The Future Of Space Exploration?

smokey.jpg

#178 2008-04-18 09:33:53

Terraformer
Website

Why can't NASA just construct a small three person rocket that could be launched on boosters we already have for the 5 year gap?  One that just has one room with seating for three people and the control panel. Just for ferrying crew up and down from the ISS.

Surely it doesn't take that long to dock with the ISS from launch?

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney

#179 2008-04-18 09:40:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

Nasa has no off the shelf capsule for a crew taxi and then there is the safety man rating issue which is why Nasa has gone with the Ares I.
Nasa does have some contracts for the taxi service on IIRC 15 flights to the ISS but it can only be one at a time. I think there were also some progress cargo vehicles in that mix as well.

#180 2008-04-18 10:50:29

cIclops

Why can't NASA just construct a small three person rocket that could be launched on boosters we already have for the 5 year gap?  One that just has one room with seating for three people and the control panel. Just for ferrying crew up and down from the ISS.

NASA doesn't have the money to develop yet another crew launch system - no matter how simple - it would delay exploration even more.

Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget !   #space channel !!    - videos !!!

#181 2008-04-19 11:01:40

Terraformer
Website

These other countries that say, sure we're going to the moon in 10 yearsand probably start a base there even though we haven't put a man into orbit yet are ridiculious.

Just like the American who said 'we're going to be at the Moon before this decade is out' was ridiculous.

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney

#182 2014-01-12 22:57:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

I was surprised to see the thread had made it back after the crash.

Earthly politicians seek roadmap for space exploration

Seeking to boldly go where few politicians have gone before, more than 30 space-faring nations gathered Thursday to map out ways to pool mankind's efforts to explore the stars.

"The question facing us today is whether we can muster the courage and political will to advance space exploration and ensure that cooperation continues to trump competition."

Countries such as Brazil, China, Japan, India and Russia have all sent delegations to the first ever such ministerial-level meeting focusing on space exploration -- with participants listening to simultaneous translations through headsets (though no Klingon language was offered).

Board footer