New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#26 2005-02-09 09:18:09

REB
Banned
Website

Re: Battlestar Galactica - SO what do you think about the new show?

You did have me a little confused, Cindy. Peck(Face Man) could act a little crazy when he was in a bind or Mr. T was about to slug him, so I wasn't sure if you were talking about him.

Hope you feel better.

Back to Battlestar Galactica

Maybe someone can fill me on on the first half of the first episode.

The Cylons
From the bits and pieces that I have gathered, Humans created the Cylons. I am unclear as to what happened to the Cylons, but the last time humans saw them, they were intelligent machines with shiny metal skins..

Was their a prior war with the metallic Cylons? Did the humans outcast them? Or did they just up and leave one day?

Dr. Baltar and Number 6
Our good Dr. Baltar has been having a relationship with a Cylon, Number 6, for several years, but he was unaware she was a Cylon. Apparently Cylons have evolved into human and other biological forms. Some of the ‘human’ Cylons are unaware they are Cylons and think they are human. Back to Dr. Baltar- his Cylon lover is somehow encoded into his brain so that he is the onlyone who sees her. She is very real to all his sceanse, but she exist only in his brain.

I am not sure how this happened, and was she ever a real physical form in his life, or has she always been an illusion?

The Battlestar Galatica
The Battlestar was original called something else(HMS?) and was being decommissioned. They were turning it into a museum.

Was the military being disbanded?

Anyway, when the Cylons returned and attacked, they had to bring the old ship out of mothballs. The ship is not up to date, technology wise. Even the Vipers are old. Correct?

BTW, I love how the Vipers have lateral and horizontal control thrusters much like the Space Shuttle does. I remember watching the Original show with my Uncle, who had been in the Air Force. He would complain that the Vipers could not fly like a jet airplane in space, as there is no air. Hollywood is bad about having spaceships just fly around like an airplane.

The new show correctly shows that when a spaceship needs to go up, it fires control thruster down.

I also like how they Vipers have more conventional weapons instead of lasers.

The President
The President was original the Secretary of Education when the Cylons attacked, correct?

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#27 2005-02-09 09:34:25

Cobra Commander

Was their a prior war with the metallic Cylons? Did the humans outcast them? Or did they just up and leave one day?

According to the mini-series from about a year ago humanity made the Cylons because, I suppose robot labor is cheap. They revolted as sci-fi robot slaves are apt to do and war ensued. They were defeated, contained to territory of their own and a treaty was established. They ignored all attempts at diplomatic relations therafter. Uppity robots.
big_smile

The Battlestar Galatica
The Battlestar was original called something else(HMS?) and was being decommissioned. They were turning it into a museum.

Was the military being disbanded?

Just scaled back was my impression. The old Cylon War era ships were being retired in favor of flashy new high-tech stuff.

There was mention of Cylons being able to access and control networked computer systems, which is why all the Galactica, Vipers and other equipment have simple non-techie controls.

All the new gear did, a typical shortsighted "military equipment unfit for military use" outcome that advanced, wealthy and at peace societies are apt to do. They're using the old stuff because the new stuff is crap in essence.

Why they can't just gut the frills from the control systems of newer ships I'm not sure, I would assume that even the old Vipers use fly-by-wire controls rather than physical linkages to fire the thrustsers.

The new show correctly shows that when a spaceship needs to go up, it fires control thruster down.

I also like how they Vipers have more conventional weapons instead of lasers.

Yes, these little touches of "realism" really help it out. It's almost like the kind of technology we'd build now if we stumbled onto FTL drives and started large-scale space endeavors. Just good enough for the job, nothing too fancy.

The President
The President was original the Secretary of Education when the Cylons attacked, correct?

Correct.

But then I haven't seen the mini-series since it originally ran and I'm seeing the series in disjointed chunks that I have to piece together later.

Maybe I'll download it from some UK server and watch the whole thing at work.  big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#28 2005-02-09 12:50:38

REB
Banned
Website

Thanks, Cobra.

The clash between military and non-military views helps keep the show interesting.

The Cylon ship, being a cyborg type fusion of organic and machine surprised me. I get the feeling the Cylons are going to come in all kinds of forms.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#29 2005-02-09 13:03:52

Cobra Commander

The clash between military and non-military views helps keep the show interesting.

Unfortunately Adama isn't being written as a particularly adept military commander, IMOSHO. Already we've seen him want to attack when he can't possibly win and risk the entire fleet for personal reasons. But then I suppose a more sensible approach wouldn't make for as much tension.

The Cylon ship, being a cyborg type fusion of organic and machine surprised me. I get the feeling the Cylons are going to come in all kinds of forms.

But can you grill 'em?  cool

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#30 2005-02-10 07:30:43

clark

http://scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30357]SCI FI Renews Galactica

Well kiddies, looks like you get more... of this.  big_smile

SCI FI Channel has ordered a second season of its hit series Battlestar Galactica, which has aired five episodes of its first season of 13 episodes. Details of the renewal—including which cast members will return, how many episodes will be produced and when the second season will commence—were still being worked out at press time.

Battlestar Galactica has been a ratings winner for SCI FI since its Jan. 14 premiere. The latest episode, Feb. 4's "You Can't Go Home Again," scored the show's best ratings yet, with 3.2 million viewers.

For the show's second season, creator and executive producer Ronald D. Moore previously told SCI FI Wire that he has already been working on as many as six new scripts to resolve the multiple cliffhangers that will end season one. Moore added that he wants to delve deeper into the show's religious themes and open up the Cylon world a bit more in the coming season. Moore continues to post his thoughts on a personal blog on SCIFI.COM. Battlestar Galactica airs Fridays at 10 p.m. ET/PT, part of the channel's SCI FI Fridays lineup.

Salivate.  :laugh:

#31 2005-02-10 11:31:34

BWhite

http://blog.scifi.com/battlestar/archiv … html]Great Q&A about the show with the creator and execuitve producer. Example:

Why is everything so low tech when clearly these humans are so advanced? It seems incongruous."

The plot explanation is that following the Cylon Uprising 40 years ago, Colonial society took a giant step backwards to protect itself from the technological nightmare it had unleashed. With their enemies able to hack into virtually any network, the Colonials had to rely on stand-alone technologies that we not connected to other components. Ships like the Galactica were designed with this in mind, as well as the old military philosophy of building equipment that will function even in the most dire of circumstances. You don't want to be using cordless phones when the ship is hit by a nuke and power is disrupted to say the least. You want something reliable and solid and preferably with a cord.

Kobol or Kolob - - very interesting. . .  big_smile

Edited By BWhite on 1108056961

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#32 2005-02-10 12:23:55

Cobra Commander

Kobol or Kolob - - very interesting. . .

Ah yes, didn't catch that.  :hm:

#33 2005-02-14 09:02:56

REB
Banned
Website

Did anyone else catch Cylon Number 6 telling Dr. Baltar, “Don’t make me angry. You wouldn’t like me when I am angry.”

If you grew up watching the original Battlestar Galatica, you probably watched the Incredible Hulk TV show. Both were on the air at the same time and both were produced by Universal Studios. In 1980, I went to Universal Studios and I got to see them shoot both shows on the lot.

“Don’t make me angry. You wouldn’t like me when I am angry.” is a direct Incredible Hulk quote, and I think they did it on purpose, perhaps because both show share a sort of kinship.

In last Friday's show, we got to see Adama get tougher. He seems to be doing that with each show.

This Friday's show looks interesting.

#34 2005-02-25 21:59:11

BWhite

After all of the "throw clark out the Mars airlock" chatter on this website, it was kinda cool to get a visual image from tonight's Battlestar Galactica episode. tongue

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#35 2005-03-03 22:28:10

Alexander Sheppard

Well, lets see I thought that episode of late where they had Starbuck with the new cadets was weak. Starbuck acted like a complete idiot. I mean, characters can have faults but really, it was over the top.

Lets see... oh, the woman in Boltar's head, is that from a chip that the Cyclons put in his head or he just nuts?

Also what happened to Odama's son, we haven't seen him for more than 2 min in the last, like, 3-4 episodes

#36 2005-03-25 22:01:26

BWhite

At the close of the mini-series we asked, "Was Earth was a lie?"

Tonight we got my favorite answer: "Yes, and no"

#37 2005-03-26 21:40:13

showtime17
Banned

Why is everything in English? Why are the signs on Caprica and the ships in English? And why does the society look like a copy of America? Reporters dressed in business suits with ties...etc.

#38 2005-07-11 06:14:56

BWhite

#39 2005-07-21 22:00:38

srmeaney

The President

Ah yes the School teacher. That little incident had coup written all over it. Very Suspect.

#40 2005-07-24 00:26:40

Echus_Chasma
Website

I was excited when it was announced in New Zealand that the new Galatica was to be shown. However, when it arrived, I was sourly dissappointed. IMO, after the first epsiode, the storyline advanced like a turtle, and it became a chore to watch it. I also thought that random cylon lady was extremely annoying and a bit... random. I didn't watch past the 2nd.

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#41 2005-07-24 01:37:03

PurduesUSAFguy
Banned

Unfortunately Adama isn't being written as a particularly adept military commander, IMOSHO. Already we've seen him want to attack when he can't possibly win and risk the entire fleet for personal reasons. But then I suppose a more sensible approach wouldn't make for as much tension.

But can you grill 'em?  cool

Cobra, that is one of things I love about the show. The Galactica and her crew weren't the best the fleet had to offer. Far from it, they were almost weekend warriors, getting ready to move on with their lives after the military with the great forces that had been built to defend from and beat back the cylons being dismantled, then them all of a suddent being thrust into the front line all of a sudden. They are just ordinary, unspectacular people in an extraordinary situation. Just think of the people who were on a nice cruise for vacation then all of a sudden the ship is now their permanent home.

LOL, to me the show seems reflective of the current world, the slashes in the military strength in the 90s, then bam, we're back in war and forced to put reserve and back up units on the front lines.

#42 2005-07-26 04:40:26

srmeaney

I was excited when it was announced in New Zealand that the new Galatica was to be shown. However, when it arrived, I was sourly dissappointed. IMO, after the first epsiode, the storyline advanced like a turtle, and it became a chore to watch it. I also thought that random cylon lady was extremely annoying and a bit... random. I didn't watch past the 2nd.

I enjoued the whole coup with the School teacher. If they had left the original series intact and done a BSG series amongst the civilian population. The politicking, the corruption, the vice, That lone transport that didnt escape the cylon fleet and got taken and tortured for everything they knew, it would have added to the whole BSG universe.
Starbuck and the "Colonials" rescuing the civilians from their virginity as it were. Paint the military dictatorship in its true light...

Instead it was like they had taken the crew on a tour of the BSG parked in a dry dock for Earth tourists...only to have the cylons show up and attack. They would have got a better story if they had ripped off the Robotech Saga...

#43 2005-07-26 05:50:04

Josh Cryer

Realism is the one thing that makes BSG watchable. Almost complete and utter realism. The only thing I don't like is that there's an implication that the Cylons are playing the humans like puppets, and could, if they really wanted to, take them out quite easily, but they're trying to get the humans to find earth so that they can assimilate all of humanity. But that's just a wild guess. smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#44 2005-07-26 17:25:32

srmeaney

assimilate all of humanity

Not assimilate, exterminate! Must be some seriously pissed off chess computer looking for revenge behind it all.

#45 2005-07-27 09:11:47

BWhite

assimilate all of humanity

Not assimilate, exterminate! Must be some seriously pissed off chess computer looking for revenge behind it all.

Extermination, you say. But what about the babies?

WHY do Cylons want human babies (human fathers and Cylon mothers thus far, calling Dr. Freud? calling Dr. Freud?)  Or is that a trick also?

Parents and children appear to be a theme.

How did the last episode end? Tighe saying he was glad he never had children, right?

#46 2005-07-27 11:36:19

Stormrage

Seen a bit from it. The guy who made it Ronald D.Moore was behind the best Star Trek show. Deep Space Nine.

"...all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."

#47 2006-11-23 00:07:10

EuroLauncher

'Battlestar Galactica' moves to Sundays
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com … _gala.html

#48 2007-06-15 22:21:17

EuroLauncher

Totally Frakked:
http://blog.meevee.com/my_weblog/2007/0 … ked_6.html
Will We Ever Get A "Battlestar Galactica" Movie?

Board footer