New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-02-07 13:17:28

REB
Banned
Website

Re: Battlestar Galactica - SO what do you think about the new show?

I was just entering my teenage years when the original Battlestar Galactica. Being a space geek, I loved the show. Starbuck was my favorite character. When I heard about the new Battlestar Galactica coming out this year, I was excited about it until I heard Starbuck was a woman.

I thought, “Starbuck is a cigar smoken, card playing guy. He is a ladies man. How can a women play such a masculine character.”

I didn’t think Katee Sackhoff could pull it off, but after watching her as Starbuck, I am really impressed. I think she has the character down. My apologies to here for being so chauvinistic about her taking on a ‘man’s’ character.

I am also impressed with the whole show. I think it is very good. It has a totally different feel from the original series. I could do without the jerky shots zooming in and out.. I know they are trying to give it a more realistic look, but it gets distracting at time. A little is okay and it works when done for the right scenes. It is a new show, so they need time to work out the kinks.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#2 2005-02-07 13:29:54

BWhite

Tomorrow they are showing all five episodes in a marathon setting.

I have only caught bits and pieces of the first two episodes so I need to find time to watch.  :;):

I also "like" the new Starbuck.

The Cylon "script" coded into that guy's head (Boltar?) is way cool also.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#3 2005-02-07 13:50:30

Cobra Commander

I'm reasonably impressed by what I've seen so far, but I was only able to watch the first two episodes. Friday night isn't a good timeslot for me.

Tomorrow they are showing all five episodes in a marathon setting.

Right on cue. That might work out depending on when it starts.

I also "like" the new Starbuck.

Like REB I was skeptical at first, but it works. Actually she kinda reminds of my sister. Especially the officer punching part.  big_smile

So far it's shaping up to be a good show from what little I've seen. In contrast to the old show (and as pointed out by Bill some time ago) this new series is setup with the premise that the whole "find Earth" angle is an outright lie to keep the people in line. I'm hoping they'll start working the issue of those in charge having to start formulating a real plan before the fraud breaks down.

Good political elements as well, well written interplay between the different authority figures trying to find some balance in their less-than-ideal situation.

Edited By Cobra Commander on 1107808305

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#4 2005-02-07 14:04:25

Palomar

I was just entering my teenage years when the original Battlestar Galactica. Being a space geek, I loved the show. Starbuck was my favorite character. When I heard about the new Battlestar Galactica coming out this year, I was excited about it until I heard Starbuck was a woman.

I thought, “Starbuck is a cigar smoken, card playing guy. He is a ladies man. How can a women play such a masculine character.”

I didn’t think Katee Sackhoff could pull it off, but after watching her as Starbuck, I am really impressed. I think she has the character down. My apologies to here for being so chauvinistic about her taking on a ‘man’s’ character.

*Here's the only Starbuck I've ever known and will ever know:

starbuck.jpg

If this Katee Sackhoff can pull it off, more power to her...but I'm not a man or a lesbian, and DIRK BENEDICT will always be Starbuck to me!  big_smile

(Did I ever have a mega-crush on him...and in the A-Team too)

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2005-02-07 14:30:12

REB
Banned
Website

I never watched the A-Team when it first came out, but I started watching the re-runs during my college years. I ended up liking the show. 'Face-man' was great.

I liked Dirk’s attitude and mannerisms in both characters. I hear rumors that they are trying to get him to do a guest appearance for the new Battlestar Galactica.

I read that on the new show, they are talking about getting Starbuck and Apollo together. I don’t know about that. My mind keeps flashing to the original show- and that is too creepy. Maybe after I get used to the new show and the new way the characters are presented.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#6 2005-02-07 16:20:24

BWhite

If you have Flash media, there is a marvelous "deleted" scene (15 - 20 seconds of video/audio) available at the scifi/com website for Episode 105. It involves the doctor and the Cylon "script cookie" embedded in his brain.

Naming that character "Six" seems to be a deliberate toying with Jeri Ryan and Star Trek's "Seven of Nine" character.

And she certainly is a "cookie" big_smile

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#7 2005-02-07 17:44:09

Palomar

I read that on the new show, they are talking about getting Starbuck and Apollo together. I don’t know about that. My mind keeps flashing to the original show- and that is too creepy. Maybe after I get used to the new show and the new way the characters are presented.

*I see your point.  Imagine re-doing the original Star Trek, except this time it's Capt. Jenny Kirk, who gets together with Dr. McCoy.  :hm:  It could be workable I suppose (barely), but probably not for long-term fans of the original show.  Or Spock forgets all about the Vulcan mating thing, and falls madly in love with Capt. Jenny Kirk...  :hm:  :laugh:  That's even harder to visualize...

Actually I'm one of those "can't improve on the original" types.  Sure, the special effects can be improved...but I refer to characterizations and storylines.  Nowadays, IMO, a lot of shows are all flash (and ritz and razzmatazz) and very little substance.

I've seen the original "Star Wars" redone with the added special effects by Lucas; I prefer the 1977 version "straight." 

More is not always...more.

But to each their own, of course.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#8 2005-02-07 17:46:03

dicktice

I long for weightlessness, in these space operas, otherwise they might as well be surface epics.

#9 2005-02-07 18:41:29

Grypd

Ill admit that I did enjoy the new series especially the series finale of the new Battlestar Galactica.(The UK already has seen the whole series)

And since I taped the lot im going to have fun and well a lot of grumpy looks when watching it again and again.

But it has to be said that the original came out in the 1970s and was filmed for a 70s audience. Everything was a bit rose tinted and even the baddies had to look well flashy. This new series delves deeper into peoples psyche and there is no longer a black and white just a rather amount of grey shades. It is this that makes it more fun.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#10 2005-02-07 20:53:02

Palomar

But it has to be said that the original came out in the 1970s and was filmed for a 70s audience. Everything was a bit rose tinted and even the baddies had to look well flashy.

*Well, I don't know of course how much of the late 1970s you remember as a child.  I was just entering my teens during that time.  Yeah, a bit rose-tinted.  But you know, I actually miss people smiling and laughing occasionally (in good humor) and being a bit optimistic on contemporary TV shows, versus today's vertible glut of nearly continual scowling, angry people constantly holding grudges and itching to get revenge and going on blood-bath vendettas.  :down:

I was actually amazed to see a young (early-20s) pop star SMILING on for her CD cover around 4 - 5 years ago.  Not a seductive smile nor a "vindicated" smile nor a sneering smile nor a sadistic-glee type smile...just a natural, happy smile.  I nearly keeled over.

Hopefully the show does try to balance out matters and does have healthy "grey" areas.  Actually I still prefer a bit of fun and adventure in my entertainment; if I want psychologizing, I can continue reading Jung.  :laugh:

No one's allowed to just have fun anymore.  It's got to be Dark and Serious and Heavy and Gut-Wrenching and...enough said. 

--Cindy

#11 2005-02-08 00:34:56

RobertDyck
Website

I attended the Star Trek local chapter meetings from the first public meeting until I felt it just got silly (out grew it). I remember one meeting when some stranger I never saw before asked me about Star Wars. He said "they" were thinking of creating a Star Wars TV series. I said "why, there already is one." I pointed out that Battlestar Galactica had fighters with 3 wings instead of 4, but still had epic space battles with vast numbers of fighters based from carriers. He didn't like that, he scowled and tried to argue with me. It was soon after that I saw the producers of Star Wars sue the producers of Battlestar Galactica. Ack! Please tell me I didn't do what I think I did! Please, I was only 18!

In the original series I couldn't understand why Baltar would betray humanity. I thought the traitor was a lame plot device, as were the mysterious space alien robots. But robots created by humanity are more plausible, and Number Six explains all. Tricia Helfer is Hot!
helfer-2.JPG

Speaking of Star Trek: http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/n … .html]Star Trek: Enterprise Cancelled!
NO! No, No, No, NO!!!! Star Trek is life! Star Trek is the TV show! I waited 10 years from 1969 to 1979 for Star Trek to be resurrected. Please don't kill it again! Yes, the "expanse" season was lame with its torture of prisoners, attacking and stealing from innocent bystanders, etc., but the current season is classic "Trek"! Don't cancel it just as the producers have finally got it right!

#12 2005-02-08 06:25:44

Cobra Commander

...but the current season is classic "Trek"! Don't cancel it just as the producers have finally got it right!

I hear you, my sentiments as well. Ah well, and I was so looking forward to war with the Romulans.

Bugger.

Back to BSG, I watched last night, the episode where Starbuck guts a Cylon fighter and flies back to Galactica from some barren moon. I'm not sure it was intentional but it reminded me of an episode of the original series, the whole no radio in a Cylon ship, hope they don't blow it up situation.

Not sure I like they way they wrote Adama in that one though, a little too "attached" for an officer of his rank it seemed to me.  ???

Edited By Cobra Commander on 1107867092

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#13 2005-02-08 06:43:34

clark

I don't have a TV.

Scott Bacula is a Leaper, not a Captain. So disappointing.

#14 2005-02-08 06:49:31

Palomar

Cobra:  I'm not sure it was intentional but it reminded me of an episode of the original series,

*Of course it was intentional.  Isn't that the way regurgitation works?  Again, my opinion that the original storylines and characters mostly can't be improved upon.

I remember when Star Trek:  The Next Generation came out.  I decided to give it a whirl.  :laugh:  Immediately identifiable was the current storyline to one in the original ST.  Then it happened again...and again.  I thought perhaps I was being too hard on the show, until James Doohan spoke up and openly criticized Gene for rehashing original ST storylines. 

Most of the rehash stuff is just the original storylines (because they're classics and most cannot be improved on, just redone) in newer, flashier garb. 

But then today's generation would be bored with the old special effects...so there you have it.  :-\

--Cindy

P.S.:  They may as well just do with the original shows what Lucas did with Star Wars:  Dress them up to the nines with updated special effects inserted in; can also digitally insert new characters.  roll

#15 2005-02-08 07:02:18

Cobra Commander

I remember when Star Trek:  The Next Generation came out.  I decided to give it a whirl.    Immediately identifiable was the current storyline to one in the original ST.  Then it happened again...and again.  I thought perhaps I was being too hard on the show, until James Doohan spoke up and openly criticized Gene for rehashing original ST storylines.

In fairness to TNG, while it did serve as a old-script barf machine for the first season or two it did eventually come into its own and had some good stories that stood independently, Trek or not. Its share of bad ones as well, of course.

Most of the rehash stuff is just the original storylines (because they're classics and most cannot be improved on, just redone) in newer, flashier garb.

It depends on how it's done. Ususally a remake is just that, a copy that attempts to be something else and fails miserably. Other times it builds on the original and becomes its own thing. The new Battlestar Galactica is well on its way to that, definately not a slavish copy trying to be the original but better, but a new show that happens to be built on the same base concept and vague characters. I for one am of the opinion that at least in the case of BSG, the new shows are better written than the original. Time will tell if it holds up, but so far so good.

#16 2005-02-08 07:23:50

BWhite

This current Battlestar appears to be consciously poking fun at the old plot lines and the other series, like the scriptwriters are saying to us:

"Yeah, yeah we know you've seen it before, but watch this! - - we can twist stuff around. . ."

When they get lazy, we will drift back more and more into the old tropes and the show will be cancelled.

#17 2005-02-08 08:24:11

REB
Banned
Website

Baltar, in the original series, seemed more goofy than evil. He was a pudgy, slimy little guy with a bad haircut and an evil chuckle. Still, I remember loathing him. Wasn’t he killed in the original movie- or was that the comic book? Stabbed in the back if I remember correctly.

I used to have the comic book for the BG movie that started the show. I wish I still had it, along with my original Star Wars, Space 1999 and Planet of the Apes comics *Big Sigh*

I like how they have done this new Baltar.

The human element of the new series seems to go a little deeper than the original. The original was more lighthearted and not as serious as the new one. I still love the original, and I think one can like both. I think they will stand apart from each other.

I wonder if they will have them show up to present day Earth, like they did in the original.

The new Series reminds me of the new Planet of the Apes movie. They both are different from the original and can stand on their own.

As for Enterprise, I am saddened to see it go off the air. I like the show. Scott is a tough Captain for tough times. It must be a hard show to write for, thou. There is this whole Star Trek future you have to carefully stay in line with (The Trekkies will slaughter the writers if they do something wrong).

I want to see a Star Trek movie that has Q in it. He is my favorite Star Trek Character.

The Next Generation did go off away from the original Show. Every now in then, they would encounter something from TOS, and that is okay. It kind of ties it all together.

The very last episode, “All Good Things” was great and could have been a movie on its own.

I also liked Voyager. I think the Holographic Doctor is my favorite Character (Yes, 7 of 9 was nice to look at, and she her acting was good IMO).

I never got into Deep Space 9.

As for Star Wars, I have to say, I like the remake ending of Return of the Jedi. I like how they showed planets from all over the Galaxy celebrating the fall of the Empire. And they got rid of that silly Ewok song.

But Star Wars, the first one, will always have an impression on me. I still remember seeing it in 1977 as a wide eyed 10 year old.

#18 2005-02-08 09:21:38

Palomar

*Well, I have to admit I likely won't watch the new "Battlestar Galactica."  One major reason (which is a rare reason for me) is that I cannot stomach Edward James Olmos.  He is an ass.  Usually I don't let impressions of who actors/actresses are personally influence whether I'll watch a show or not, but in this case I make an exception.

Around 10 years ago, Olmos was a member of a group of Americans (all ethnicities and races included -- supposedly) who were going around the U.S. talking about differences.  At one meeting, a group of Native American protestors showed up, some of them with drums.  Why were they protesting?  Because the group didn't have 1 Native American member within it, when it was supposed to include a member of every ethnicity.

Olmos jumped up, grabbed a microphone, and began ranting and yelling in an attempt to appease the Natives, and the entire tone of his impromptu speech was essentially anti-
Anglo
.  Yeah, "as if" his ancestors and their Conquistadores were oh-so loving, kind and beneficient to the Native American population, whether in North or South America.  roll  Give me a break.

The Natives boo'd him, and tried to drown him out by pounding furiously on their drums.  :laugh:  They saw him for what he was:  A patronizing, histrionic hypocrite.

I've also seen Olmos in El Paso, on the local news, promoting a Hispanic-only children's program.  :hm:  If it were a white-only children's program he'd be the first slobbering at the chops and screaming racism.  Frankly, I'm opposed to ANY exclusionary program -- regardless of skin color.  Not him!

He's a jerk.  :down:

--Cindy

#19 2005-02-08 09:41:07

Cobra Commander

Yeah, I vaguely recall that Olmos rant.

But then if I stopped watching everything that had some jackass ignorant political kook actor in it I'd have to... read more I guess.  big_smile

#20 2005-02-08 09:52:05

REB
Banned
Website

Cindy, I get tired of hearing racism screamed in American. In the past, I do believe minorities had an unfair disadvantage because of racism. Today, all races in America have equal chances, and all have their own equal share of racism against others.

I would be happy to see every drop the hyphens and call themselves Americans.

I am a manly German and Italian mixture (About 50/30 percent), with some Scottish and Native American thrown in (about 10/10) percent. Probably some other blood in there as well. I have a Hispanic Sister-in-Law and a half Hispanic Niece and Nephew. I have a cousin that is half Black. One of my closest and dearest friends is Black.

We are all humans, and we are more alike than we are different. I wonder if it will take meeting a totally alien race that looks nothing like us to make us aware of this. Will it take that for us to finally come together as one race? Will we turn our prejudice against the aliens? Perhaps if aliens do know about us, that is why they have chosen not to contact us. If we can’t get rid of our prejudice against our own race for such minor difference as skin tone and facial features , how could they expect us to accept them?

I'll get off my soapbox

The Original Star Trek was great at dealing with racism. In Enterprise, I get a kick out of Archer being called Pink Skin. You would think the Andorians would notice some of the Pink Skins were not that pink, and realize humans , at least in the Star Trek universe, do not have a problem with skin color.

#21 2005-02-08 10:59:44

REB
Banned
Website

Cindy, on the A-Team intro, when they are introducing Lieutenant Templeton Peck, I am sure you caught the Cylon walking past him. I always got a kick out of that.

Speaking of Dirk, whether he was playing Starbuck or Templeton Peck, whenever he was in a sticky situation, his expressions were priceless. I think Dirk could have been a big movie-star had he gone the movie route verse the TV route.

#22 2005-02-09 02:40:21

RobertDyck
Website

There is this whole Star Trek future you have to carefully stay in line with (The Trekkies will slaughter the writers if they do something wrong).

The series premier opened with a Klingon running through a corn field on Earth. In TOS they established that Klingons and Humans stumbled on each other ship-to-ship in deep space and started a war. It was years before they even found where the Klingon home world was. In TNG they said first contact rules were created specifically to prevent a war like the one with Klingons. But in Enterprise they ignored all that and started with Captain Archer bringing a Klingon soldier body to the high council, and established diplomatic relations at the highest level. So much for continuity. Their excuse interference from the future and the "temporal cold war"; time travel was the excuse why future history was completely abandoned. But they ignore the fact that destroying the world of "Star Trek" would destroy the reason fans continue to watch it. No one will watch any story unless it's plausible, and lack of consistency destroys plausibility. I'm saying they stepped way out of line, and are slaughtered. I've read comments from other that found finer details, like the date phasers were supposed to be introduced, transporters, high warp drive, etc.

Personally, I would have liked to see ships with shuttles instead of transporters, and slower warp drive. I keep asking what was that disk shaped ship with 2 warp nacelles in the credits just before the NX class ship? Could we see more of the initial exploration of star systems surrounding our solar system, and colonization? Writers keep referring to the previous class ships and how slow they are, could we please see one? We had an episode about a cargo ship, how about hearing about the first colony on Alpha Centauri? I know, the star Proxima Centauri is actually closer, but the "Star Trek" universe claims the first ship went to Alpha Centauri. Besides, Proxima Centauri is a white dwarf so unlikely to have habitable planets, and Alpha Centauri is just 0.1 light year farther. Alpha Centauri is a binary star system, and Alpha Centauri A has the same spectral class and approximate size as our Sun (G2V). NASA keeps talking about an interferometry telescope that can image Earth size planets around nearby stars, just claim one was found around Alpha Centauri.

But I'm off topic again, talking Star Trek in a Battlestar Galactica thread.

#23 2005-02-09 07:43:29

Palomar

Cindy, on the A-Team intro, when they are introducing Lieutenant Templeton Peck, I am sure you caught the Cylon walking past him. I always got a kick out of that.

Speaking of Dirk, whether he was playing Starbuck or Templeton Peck, whenever he was in a sticky situation, his expressions were priceless. I think Dirk could have been a big movie-star had he gone the movie route verse the TV route.

*Yes, I remember the Cylon passing him on the street.  Dirk stops, gives those little "I know that thing from somewhere..." expressions.  :laugh:

I haven't followed his career, so am not sure why he didn't break into the movies.  He definitely had movie-star appeal.  Especially when cruising around in that red corvette (caliente!!).

I never watched the A-Team when it first came out, but I started watching the re-runs during my college years. I ended up liking the show. 'Face-man' was great.

Oh yeah.  And the question of whether he was truly insane or just pretended to be.  :laugh:  "Trash bags!  I need trash bags!"  Then there was an incident with a teddy bear ("I'm Fuzzy the bear; I'm all covered with hair") -- singing that while making the bear undulate over the top of a big cardboard box.  roll  Then Mr. T would get mad at him, LOL.  Speaking of Mr. T, he sure is aging well; last I saw him (a year ago) he doesn't look much older than he did 20 years ago.  :hm: 

I really enjoyed George Peppard's character too; how he'd grin around that cigar in a moment of victory while saying, "I love it when a plan comes together."  Overall good show.

--Cindy

#24 2005-02-09 08:23:25

REB
Banned
Website

Don’t forget Captain H.M. "Howlin' Mad" Murdock. Dwight Schultz also played Lieutenant Reginald Barclay on Star Trek, TNG. I liked him on that show as well.

What I really liked about the A-Team is the way all the characters worked together so well.

Good points, RobertDyck. Time Travel and different timelines has been a good way for Star Trek to ignore its own history. I actually find those time travel stories kind of interesting. I am not sure if time travel is even possible, thou- but that is another topic.

A lot of the events in the Star Trek universe were set up in the 1960’s. Since much of their predictions about our present time didn’t come true, they have to change something, so I don’t have a problem with them rewriting their history and saying it is a different timeline.

And Frack! I missed the first half of the first episode of the new Battlestar Galactica again. I came into it about 30 minutes into it. At 6:30 I went to set up the VCR to record it, and it had already started. I didn’t know it was going to start at 6.

#25 2005-02-09 08:39:28

Palomar

Don’t forget Captain H.M. "Howlin' Mad" Murdock. Dwight Schultz also played Lieutenant Reginald Barclay on Star Trek, TNG. I liked him on that show as well.

*Oh shoot, that's who I was talking about.  I thought they called him "Face-Man."  Ah well, I have a nasty cold and I guess my memory is slipping a bit today (my brain is about to go kaput here any moment).  roll 

--Cindy

Board footer