New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#51 2005-03-23 11:10:25

Grypd

Re: You're a 1st martian Settler II - Continued from the previous madness

Science Chief Notes, 8th, May, 2103

Great come to Mars, Travel millions of miles and get floored by a bad cold. Still Colonel Barkley seems to have managed to get on well without my council and seems to have the situation in hand. This leaves me free to do what im supposed to be doing, science. These tunnels and caves below us are of great interest and it is interesting how they could have formed. The two main answers seems to be Volcanic and water action with a probability of both needing to explain the expanse of them. Also it is likely the reduced gravity is keeping these not so secure tunnels up.

Actually one concensus is that a lot of these tunnels could have formed by the effects of free water that froze and then pushed the rock apart with the water later flowing away in a warm spell. Also possible is during a warm period, streams would get caught and though the top remain pure ice the lower part is heated by volcanic action so deepening and eventually forming cavern complexes.

But what really is exciting is that these cave complexes are likely to hold prehistoric martian atmosphere and conditions. And so we have devised a device to search and learn for us. The device which resembles nothing much more than a mechanical milipede digs using sonics to dissolve the rock and then very cautiously enters a cave. Using a laser to map the cave it then samples the atmosphere and conditions while showing the cave in glorious colour to us the researchers.

To provide the virgin material that we crave we are avoiding used complexes and are trying to get to all new caves first. Also with everyone seemingly hacking each others computers I have had to put the whole system on a stand alone basis like I did with all my best kept research secrets. Still we are providing to all who ask any data we find.

One other thing is that we have been able to build a nice little power supply by using the eddison effect. With the ground being very warm the deeper we have gone and the surface still cold it allows after a while a very decent fix to our power problems. Those the Fusion generators cant handle that is by putting power into a small farm of gyroscopes that allows power storage.

Dr. Gryphon

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#52 2005-03-23 11:46:35

Palomar

Pat. 

It was Pat who yelled out as the ground beneath abruptly gave way.  A sinkhole, suddenly mawing open to catch at unsuspecting feet.  All I could see was the top of a dark-haired head bobbing twice, and the flash of arms.

Skylar and Lynn were nearest, and gave assistance.  Poor Pat, nearly completely soaked.  Our modest towelettes were of limited help, understandably.  We can't afford to have any of our expedition members ill.  And should Pat catch cold, the illness could spread to all.  I pushed two mega-vitamins into Pat's hand, who agreed to take them.

"Everyone, let's join together via rope.  Chris, we do have a couple of spare ropes, right?  Get us the longest spare."

We each looped the rope around our waists, and handed the end to the person ahead of us.  I was trembling slightly, for what could have happened to Pat.  And that portion of the cave's floor -- I myself had just passed directly over it.  The RMG seemed to solidly hit the surface.  Could more of the floor suddenly give way beneath our feet?  My muscles are tense.

"All ready?"

Six voices returned affirmatively.  DJ was grumbling about something, as usual.  We ignored it; usually the mumbled complaints didn't last long, thank goodness.

We surged ahead, continuing to make our way to the farthest cavern wall.  Yes, there was a definite natural exit; low, but likely requiring nothing more than a modest stoop to pass through.  I tap-tap the RMG ahead of me.  The gods forbid a huge chunk of sinkhole form suddenly beneath our feet and take most or all of us down!

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#53 2005-03-24 12:33:59

Cobra Commander

After many days of travel, several drinks and a few minor collisons we have reached the shore of the Hellas Sea. Or rather I have reached Hellas, the others either passed out or got lost on the way. I remember now why I used robots.

After several hours of searching the ground penetrating radar found a thin cave wall. Not an entrance, but close enough. Blew a big hole in it and I'm in. Not much in here so far, just rocks and dirt. Going to IR, will report anything of note.

Edited By Cobra Commander on 1111702772

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#54 2005-03-24 12:58:47

Palomar

*What does "Going to IR" mean, Cobra?

-*- -*- -*-

We've received a communique from our comrades in Cave A that Lord Vlork is somewhere in the Hellas region.  Apparently he has entered a portion of a distant cave; we're not sure yet.  Seems he's mostly alone.  Likely his vodka-logged, rowdy friends passed out en route.  :-\

Regardless, we press on.

We are a mere 250 feet -- no more! -- from the far cave wall when my RMG doesn't swish nor tap-tap against the ground.  There is a nasty and abrupt steep dropoff of the cave floor at this point. 

I call for a temporary halt. 

Only 250 feet to go!  <frown> 

Skylar flashes a light towards the seeming exit.  Perhaps it is not an exit at all.  Upon closer inspection (Skylar holding the light steady while Lynn looks through low-power binoculars), Lynn reports it seems merely a deep vertical depression in the wall. 

Great.  <frown>  But we're not sure.

Still attached to my comrades by the rope, I inform them I'm going to try and discover if this sudden, steep dropoff in the floor is only in this very immediate area or what.  Chris prepares a sink-float while I begin moving cautiously to the left.  Dang it...the drop-off persists.  After 3 minutes the sink-float pops back up to the surface.

"The water is at least 30 feet deep."

A collective sigh, DJ mutters, I press my lips together and say nothing.

"I'm going to check to the right."  I inform them.  I do...and to the best of my detection skills the dropoff runs the length of the cave here.

The sound of water trickling overhead continues.  My feet are getting cold, despite the ultrainsulated boots we're all wearing. 

There are two alternates:  Turn around completely, reclimb the ledge and go back to the fork in the original corridor and turn right instead...OR...

The others followed my gaze. 

On the westward side of this humongous cavern is a vertical clumping of high rocks, stalactites and stalagmites seemingly semi-fused together.  Tall, damp, likely very treacherous...

I borrowed a stronger light and Lynn's binoculars.  The others pressed around me.  There seemed to be a chamber up above, and to the right.

"Do you think we could scale that?"  I asked, pointing.

DJ groaned.  "I thought that's what you'd have in mind." 

"Probably, yes."  Chris -- the tallest, strongest and most athletic of the group -- replied optimistically.

"There's a way out up there, huh?"  Skylar asked with a bit of genuine enthusiasm.  "Let's go for it; anything beats turning back."

So we commenced towards the jumbled rocks, S & S's.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#55 2005-03-24 16:04:49

Palomar

It looked deceptively easy, making our way to the knobby natural tower.  An area -- like a miniature beach -- fans out at its base and a couple of inches above the waterline at least.

Barely 15 minutes into our march toward it, we whirled as one at a loud rumble and heavy splash behind us. 

A boulder, near to and above where we'd rested the night before, somehow came loose.  It landed many feet to the right of the ledge, landing so hard that droplets of water sprayed us in its wake.

I'm worried about Lord Vlork being in the vicinity.  We trust that Caves Alpha and Delta have been properly secured and camoflagued.  I doubt the ability of the technology at his disposal.

The further west we walk, the deeper the water.  It's now nearly to my knees.  The mud on the cave floor is stickier, more adhesive in this area as well.  Our boots continually get stuck, no matter how many different approaches in ambulation we make.  :-\

I'd hoped we could climb the natural tower and camp out in whatever (hopefully DRY!) chamber lies beyond it.  But we're all so fatigued and worn out, I doubt it will be so.

-30 minutes later-

The natural ledge here is barely wide and long enough for us to rest on this evening.  We prepare our camp, dine on power-bars and water, prepare our air mattresses and -- to the faint sound of rushing water from somewhere above, a mysterious yet comforting sound -- we crash into deep and dreamless sleep.

#56 2005-03-24 20:42:26

Cobra Commander

And so it was that the Prophet ventured into the darkness that he might find that which he sought, though knowing not what that might be. Long did the Prophet wander the caves, seeing in the green tunnel-vision of his infrared visor, and on the sixth hour the Prophet did say "Lo, mighty is the darkness. Go forth and find the path," and spider droids numbering one-hundred-and-three did scurry in all directions that they might map the caverns and deliver their data unto the Prophet. And with that, the Prophet did rest upon the ground, which is to say he did sit for the span of several minutes as the Prophet rarely slept, after which he did boldly go further into the darkness, prepared for all omens and visitors, whether good or ill.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#57 2005-03-25 14:10:36

Palomar

We've come into a small, dry chamber.  I'm in the lead, of course.

The moment my eyes see Lord Vlork sitting there, silent and motionless, is the same moment my heart leaps into my throat...and I discover that my comrades are gone.

I am alone, in this clean and claustrophobic and impossibly lit chamber, with the most notorious man in the Solar System.

For some inexplicable reason I am not unduly alarmed that my comrades have mysteriously vanished.  My attention hardly wavers from determining whether LV is alive...or dead...or asleep. 

Is this a trick?

With a curious boldness, I silently walk closer to where he sits:  Black cape, highly polished black boots and helmet...

As if detached from it, I watch my hand wave slowly in front of his mask, eye level.  I blink, listen, wait oddly relaxed for any response. 

None.

As if possessing a mind of its own, my hand pushes closer to the mask.  Again, it waves in front of the masked eyes.

The same dreadful instant two red glares flare to life in the mask is the same instant his large gloved hand lashes out and grabs my wrist

yikes 

I sit up, hear a loud shrill scream, hear the echo of it wrapping around the cavern.  My heart is beating wildly in my chest, my muscles are taut with fear. 

My comrades drop their water bottles, power-bars, come to my side.

"I knew you were having a nightmare," Robin said, dabbing at the film of perspiration on my brow. 

"Yeah, we didn't know if we should wake you up or just let it run its course."

Panting with fear, I sat still, dazed, exhausted from the nightmare.

#58 2005-03-26 15:53:51

Palomar

Later in the day we attempt to scale the natural tower to the upper chamber; this tower is a jumble of rocks, and semi-fused stalactites and stalagmites.

I dislike climbing, but say nothing.  We placed special grip pull-overs on the bottoms of our boots, chalked our hands and prepared for the climb -- estimated 40 feet at least -- after Robin, Chris and I checked then rechecked the tensile strength of the ropes, the clips, etc.

We were go.

Chris -- the physically strongest and most naturally athletic of the team -- began the ascent first.  Robin followed Chris.  I was next.

We were perhaps 15 feet from the short and narrow ledge below, when water began trickling from the chamber above.  First simply a drizzle, then a gentle downpour.  The natural flow of the water mostly slickened the tower; we received a bit of afterspray. 

It was refreshing and helped to distract from my uneasiness with the climb.  Our boots held firm as we carefully sought secure foot holdings and climbed up the rope.

The three of us commenced our exertions in silence while our comrades waiting below chatted quietly amongst themselves. 

We were another few feet up when our concentration was broken by a peculiar rumbling from the chamber above.  It sounded like...a belch. 

The rumble became a steady roar, which ended abruptly with a rude and disgusting noise.

And then the stench.

"Oh, peuuh!"  DJ yelled below.

Holding my nose and trying not to gag (Robin and Chris were doing the same), I looked up and over my shoulder:  A noxious shroud of vapors hung near the opening of the upper chamber, then began cascading downward.  My eyes were stinging; so were Chris' and Robin's; we looked at each other through reddened, tear-filmed eyes.

We heard a retching noise; someone vomited below.

The rope jerked; I clutched at a small opening in a rock.

"I just got a reading!"  We heard Skylar shout.  "Get down from there, NOW, and into the water!"

"Push against the tower and when we're out far unenough, unclip!"  I yelled.

It was crazy, but we had no other choice.  And the water below, though deeper than in the middle of the cavern floor, was still too shallow for a fall like this.  But the mud was softer, thicker...and we had no choice.

We heard our comrades jumping into the water.

Robin's body fell to my left, Chris' was a speeding blur just beyond.

I turned my body, hopefully to land on my side.  We all took in deep lungfuls of air.

{{-sPLaSh-}} 

The landing was just soft enough, though my ribs hurt...

!Ka-BOOM!!

I saw the orange-red flames shooting across the water before squeezing my eyes shut.  We pressed our bodies as deeply into the mud and as far beneath the safe waters as we could...fervently hoping the flames would subside before we could no longer hold our breath...

--Cindy

#59 2005-03-26 17:06:01

Grypd

Science Notes, 9th May, 2103

Richards who was on the monitors cried out "whoooagh", attracting everyones attention. "What happened, I cried seeing the seismic detectors on Milipede 3". It seems that group 2 just set off an explosion and a large one at that" noted Richards. "Great, what is it with this planet everyone seems to like explosives...Then again!!!" As more Data begun to arrive "That explosion it appears to have been a seismic event".

The Milipedes are proving to be a perfect scientific device and it suits that we can observe without causing interference and getting involved in the troubles that Mars has. And this suits us to be left alone. Another advantage is that we have found that the laboratory we are in is in a stand alone cave so we wont be bothered by the groups which are hunting each other.

Power has been a problem but we have now enough Eddison effect generators to power the 3D printer and we are focusing on making the components to have another fusion generator built the first made of native materials here on Mars.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#60 2005-03-27 17:38:10

Mad Grad Student
Website

"Gosh, well that's a tough problem," Barkley said, unconciously raising a hand to scratch her head. The Air Force Academy ring on her right hand glinted the purple end of the visible light spectrum off its cool Amythest surface.

"Any suggestions?" Meadows inquired with a dejected, haggard expression. Barkley's crystal green eyes were fixed on the flatscreen, her mind racing to come up with a set of numbers that might finally satisfy the problem at hand.

"I would say... start with one, after all that's the first positive integer. Then, how about two and 72? That's e. After that, you can go ahead and use two, 13, and 64, my birthday numbers." Meadows noded and input the numbers into the online lottery retailer. "Are you shure you can still play out here, John, isn't the lottery kinda limited to one planet?"

"Well, I suppose it doesn't hurt to try," he responded.

"Shure seems like a waste of five dollars to me. What good is $100 million on Mars, anway?" Meadows smiled and let out a somewhat annoyed chuckle and that second comment.

"So, February 13, 2104, I guess that's the big day you turn-"

"Please," Barkley intervened, seeing ahead to where this was going, "I don't even want to think about that now." Turning 40 was of course nothing nowadays like what it was 100 or 150 years ago. Back then you were old. Now the only significance 40 had was that it was halfway to 80, in turn halfway to the average lifespan of 160. For someone in Barkley's shape the date especially didn't mean anything, but to this day it still carried some stigma of old age, of senility just around the corner, however unfair a notion that was. Some cultural elements just don't die easy, Barkley thought to herself.

"Don't you need to get back to writing that quarterly report?"

"Yeah, but I'm doing all right with that," Barkley stated, waving off the question. In truth she absolutely loathed the whole idea of the quarterly reports, it was such a waste of time, but it was the only way the government would ever let them fly. "Anyway, I'm off to get a Diet Dr. Pepper, then it's back to work."

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#61 2005-03-29 12:04:01

Cobra Commander

For days I wandered the caves of Hellas before it became clear that what I sought could not be found there. Days later I reached the site of the old hab, a place once full of life and promise, now cold and empty. No voices on the air, no predatory mammals waiting at the airlock, only scattered artifacts that hint at what once was. They mock me from the shadows, here grand plans were set in motion but as they progressed the purpose was lost. The goals obscured and the intent buried, progress became an end unto itself and in so doing crushed that which it sought to strengthen. Next time we'll heed the warnings. Next time we'll get it right. Now left to wander until that day comes, when opportunity presents itself and the path becomes clear.

So was it written, so shall it be done.

#62 2005-03-29 12:20:45

Palomar

Our lungs ached for air.  It seemed we were beneath the water for an agonizingly long time.  And then the flames subsided. 

A hand pushed me back down as I started to rise. 

Why?  Perhaps the air above still had a scorching quality?  Likely.

My lungs were about to burst! 

The others began emerging from the water just as I decided I couldn't bear it any longer.  We splashed up out of the water, gasping deeply for air.  It was very warm in the cave, but fortunately the entire expanse of it was large enough, and the cave originally dank and cold enough, that it wasn't hot...just warm.

We collapsed onto the little ledge, soaked and exhausted.  Lynn had a coughing fit.  My asthma threatened to flare up as well, but didn't.  Fortunately the warm, dry air contributed to a quicker drying of our hair and clothing.

Hours later we ascended a new rope -- quickly. 

Once inside the chamber we discovered the source of the explosion:  A narrow natural "tube" in that portion of the cave (just inside the small chamber and to the extreme left) wall, which leads to where we don't know, but apparently there's a gaseous source somewhere/somehow at the upper end of it.

DJ and Skylar suggested we have a snack and brief rest at the inner lip of the chamber, overlooking the vast cavern below, but I nix that idea.  We have absolutely no idea how quickly nor how often the noxious, explosive vapors accumulate here. 

We press on.  And soon, to everyone's chagrin, discover the chamber narrows significantly. 

Everyone is a good sport about it, like usual, and say nothing...but if everyone else is thinking what I'm thinking, it certainly is not pleasant being in such a cramped and confined space.  The narrowness of this passageway is such that we could not walk straight-on; rather, we have to shimmy sideways.  There is perhaps 3 inches of free space between our bodies and the rocky walls.

It's frustrating and exhausting, having to ambulate in this fashion, but we continue on regardless.

--Cindy

#63 2005-03-30 17:43:27

Grypd

It was an impromptu meeting and it was Firmly kept off the records.

"So, have we all been recieving these offers from Earth" Noted Dr Gryphon. With the lack of of negatives around the chamber it had to be taken as read. "So now what do we do, do we as offered make lots of money by developing and informing this corporation of these products? or do we keep our integrity"
It was Richards who first brought up the idea of another course. "Look Doc, we are surrounded by Earth first types and frankly Barklay is as military as they get. If we dont choose to go with those corporations then we have to strike out on our own"

Science Notes, 11th May, 2103 RESTRICTED ACCESS PERSONAL CODE
Well we are in a jam we seem to be pressured from Earth to do this research or release this product. Its the distance and these corporations desire to allow unfettered research away from the press of Earth and with a way to have a means to say it was not us it must have been those Martian lunatics......Instant deniability.

Great and the worse part is that there is likely to be a few "Company" enforcers amongst the colonists. Of course the science team are amongst the most brilliant group of people ever to be assembled but they are also to a degree very self centered. Actually with the "requests" they have been getting it is the first time I have ever seem them so focused.

So what do we do, I really could do with options here.

#64 2005-04-06 17:04:30

Grypd

Science Notes, 14th May, 2103

We have a lot of people in the team who have interests in other than our main fields. I'm an example, having mastered my Diploma in the field of Robotics I also have an interest in the now heavily regulated Genetic engineering. But what we have is that many in the team are gifted with more than one "Science". This was allways thought as a good idea so that in the case of accident we do not loose a whole discipline. As an example Dr Singh, She has admitted that she is actually primarily a Geneticist and that her Biology Diploma was gained to broaden her abilities. This is not a coincidence it has allways been noted that Mars would take a toll on us and we would have to "adapt" to be able to fit ourselves around this world. We could never simply bulldoze our way and take over especially with a planet that can kill you in so so many ways. Certainly just sitting and writing this is actually killing me faster than what would happen on Earth through my intake of Martian fines and the higher radiation count.

But we dont care we are just so happy to be here and free of the constant pressures of Earth. But there is a more serious side to this. We are finding that the first colonists also had Genetic engineers and they have been developing some really strange species to compliment themselves. War seems to have been on there mind and also it seems they wanted life to be harder on this planet with the creation of Sandworms and meat eating Rabbits.

We as a science team are finding though we are not free of Earth. Many "requests" have come for us to try out certain genetic experiments that have been banned on Earth since early last century. We also have found that "requests" for data on the breeding of these rabbits and how could we weaponize other species have also come through. But in this these Earth black suits are stupid they see Science as a proffesion where individual scientists keep themselves to themselves and do not share work. But the pressures of the voyage and the dangers of Mars have changed us we work more as a team and get on so well we are like another society amongst the 2nd Expedition crew. We do share notes and we see what is happening and now we see what we have to do about it. At the moment we are doing as we are told as we are not stupid there are bound to be others who work for this Earth conspiracy in the crew.

Dr Gryphon
Gryphon looked up from the small personal computer which he now routinely stored these statements. The computer was unusual in that it no longer was able to link with others and it had a truly powerful AI and security installed. "Link, Encrypt the last notes and wake me up a half hour before sunrise, please". Link replied "Certainly Doctor, Be aware this will give you less than 5.5 hours in which to sleep" Gryphon looked around the small place he had called home and said" Dont worry there is so much to do and I really would like to see the sunrise, So much to do and so little time"

#65 2005-04-08 12:49:54

Cobra Commander

The Prophet strode into the small temple of the faithful, one of many scattered across the land, entering with an aura of triumph despite the hardships of the times, and those gathered did immediately recognize him as the Prophet despite the pilgrim's disguise. In his hand he did carry a bag, and from this bag he did produce an aged bottle dating back to a sacred ceremony long past and well remembered by the people of the true faith. The bottle he then held aloft and said unto the people "who among you will drink of the spirits of the Most High in this time of tribulation and uncertainty?"

And one did step forward to take the offered cup, and saw that it was good. "Behold," the Prophet did speak, "for while I have not walked among you for many cycles absence was necessary, for the covenant once deemed good and eternal has been revealed to be less, though there be no wickedness at blame." And the others did pour themselves a sacrament as the Prophet did say unto them that they who renounce the word cannot be blamed in full for the Prophet hath contributed half part to the corrupting and shall heed the lessons well.

"Raise your glasses and rejoice brothers, for through the fire I shall be born again and as such ye shall no longer be permitted to sit in the temple on this night of Friday tripping to the Floyd that is Pink, for a world of possibilities lies in wait and we shall not waste the bountiful opportunities." And the Prophet did raise his glass and in unison with the faithful did drink of the warming spirits. "Onward," the Prophet proclaimed, "to the places of gathering that we might convert others to the one true faith and expand our numbers in the promise of better days. I shall drive, for you doth drink too much." And the faithful did gather their currency, prayers and pick-up lines and did set out toward the settlement bearing the Commandents in their hearts and liquor in their bellies.

#66 2005-04-08 12:59:39

Palomar

It occurred to us (at the same moment, it seemed):  Might the noxious, explosive vapors be able to drift in this direction?

I doubted it.  The mouth of the vent was pointed towards the massive chamber we'd just left.

No one complained as we continued shuffling sideways down the unbearably narrow corridor.  Our boots make scratching and scruffing noises against the layer of grit on the floor -- which of course we can't see.  I'm glad no one complained, because I'm claustrophobic.

It seemed we were about to enter upon a comfortably open area, and indeed we did.

Briefly.

We stretched, breathed deeply -- it felt wonderful having elbow room again.

10 minutes later we encountered yet another slender corridor, this one actually a tunnel we'd have to crawl through.

Unfortunately, I audibly sighed.  DJ glared at me.  I hoped nothing would be said...it wasn't.  Because my nerves were on edge as well, and a verbal altercation must be avoided at all costs. 

"I estimate we'll have to crawl for 20 minutes, maybe a bit longer."  Skylar said after consulting a sensor.

Oh god.  sad  It's bad enough  shimmying down a snug corridor standing upright.  But crawling?

With a curt nod we all prepare for this leg of the journey.

5 minutes later, claustrophobia seizes me.  I fight down a tremendous urge to scramble backwards out of the tunnel.  The all-encompassing tunnel walls seem to shrink, to suffocate...

It's all I can do to keep my composure, to keep going.  I wonder how many of the others feel the same way...

#67 2005-04-08 14:34:09

Palomar

A puff of exasperated breath.  I couldn't help it.  The tunnel has narrowed too significantly; I'm the thinnest of the party and I can't continue.

"Everyone?  We'll have to back-track."

Moans, a muffled shout of disbelief, a growl of "I knew it!"

"We might not have to back-track all the way."  A hopeful voice (Pat's?) called out, which I could barely hear over someone else's coughing. 

"Whoever is pounding your fists against the tunnel floor, stop it!"  DJ barked.  "It's raising dust!"

The coughing fit continued; a few other people coughed a few times.

"Who was that?"  I called out, turning my head as much as the cramped space would permit.  "What do you mean, it might not be necessary to back-track entirely?"

"Lynn.  I happened to turn my head for a second and thought I saw a branch off this tunnel."

"And it probably leads to nowhere!"  DJ muttered.

"That's enough!"  I snapped.  Then, "How far back, Lynn?"

"Who's last in line; Chris?"  Lynn asked.

"Yep!"  A far-off voice replied, as if from the depths of a tall tin can.

"It's probably 100 crawl paces behind you.  To the left."

"Let's go for it.  If it doesn't pan out, we'll have to go ALL the way back to the original fork in the cave, just outside of A, and try our luck there."

So scootching back we went.  My legs and arms especially are killing me. 

Well, that wasn't too bad.  How could I have missed this secondary tunnel?  Probably during one of my moments of trying to forget my claustrophobia.

We advanced, one by one, into this secondary tunnel.

Odd.  It feels like thick parchment paper suddenly.

{{CRaCkK!!}}

"OH MY GOD!"  I shrieked as the tunnel floor beneath suddenly gave way.  Behind me a yell of panic.  Free falling!

#68 2005-04-08 16:32:39

Grypd

Science Notes, 23rd May, 2103

Rover 3, Expedition, Personal Notes, J Richards,

Rovers are as far as I can see, camper vans. I leave Earth and we bring camper vans. Anyway the best way to describe them are as tough super grunt vehicles with crew comfort a second best. There are 4 of us and stores and we struggle, Still the trailer we are pulling carries a lot of gear that does not have to be kept under a decent atmosphere.

We have been on a hunt for aquifers and with the mineral survey of a raptor to give us good leads we have found one. The drilling nowadays is different than what our forefathers once used, we use sonics to disintegrate the rock ahead of the bit so we can drill a lot faster than those old riggers and drillers could imagine. Still we still have to be careful of actually releasing the aquifer as it would come out under enough pressure to literally send our rover miles from here. Aquifers are hydrothermal events and not only are they good sources of Hydro power and water but they may well be the best source for real Martian life. Still with the contamination of Terran bacteria it will be difficult to tell.

We note the aquifer and then delete it from the computers. Just like we have wiped the Raptors memory but then again it was never going to return to Von Braun. Still time to go back and with driving twenty four and a half hours it will take at least 7 days to get back. And still we have to check on the other drills a previous expedition had deployed

#69 2005-04-13 11:27:26

Palomar

One question ripped through my mind (how far to fall?!). 

A second later my body hit something taut, thin and semi-pliable; as if hitting a large canvas sheet.  I cartwheeled, flew to the side, rolled to a bumpy skidding stop. 

I looked up and something -- someone's body! -- flew past me, above me, those boots grazing frightfully close to my face.  Instinctively I cradled my arms around my head and hunkered as close to the ground (or whatever it was) as possible.  An instant later a body slammed into mine.  I winced and began trying to move away when yet another body slammed into us.  Ribs, arms and legs aching, I managed to crawl quickly away.

Lights flashing, yells, groans of pain, clouds of dust hanging all around.

Dazed, I saw a lightbeam directed upward; coiling curtains of dust nearly obscurred the scene above:  Skylar's pale face peered down from the tunnel above, mouth a perfect O.  Robin hung precariously from the tunnel's lip; Chris scrambled beside Skylar to get a rope and hooks secured around Robin.

"We're going to lower ourselves down!"

"Shouldn't you stay up there?"  I yelled back, coughing.  My head hurt.

"No, the vapors are building up again.  We can't risk --"

"I know, I know.  Hurry, then!"

My comrades who'd fallen behind me stirred, moaned, tried to sit up.  We checked for wounds:  Abrasions, cuts, scrapes, sprains.  Hopefully that'd be the worst of it.  Hopefully no fractures or concussions...or worse. 

Except for a few minor cuts, bruises and scratches, we all seemed fine.  Our nerves were another story:  Rattled beyond all get-out.

We passed bottles of water around.  I took some ibuprofen for the muscle aches I knew were coming and which could get only worse; I suggested the others do likewise.  I felt sticky from the humidity, gritty from the dust.

We shone our lights around.  What an odd chamber:  Squarish in shape, nearly as tall as it was wide.  Yet another oddity:  Definitely not rock and certainly not alive, but wide expanses of membranes like curtains or sheets festooned the chamber.  Some were perhaps a meter in thickness, others thinner.  None of them stretched from wall to wall, but rather had an attachment to a wall (mostly to our left), and fanned gently downward to the floor or stopped in mid-reach.  I'd landed on the uppermost "curtain", and fortunately it had a bit of a gentle slope to it; it'd broken our fall onto the hard ground below and enabled our momentum to slow down enough prior to hitting the ground.

Thank goodness for small favors.

"Is there a way out of here?"  Chris asked; the last to climb down into the chamber.  After securing the rope and hooks, Chris walked to where we all sat. 

"Doesn't seem to be, just on looks alone.  We'll investigate a bit later," I replied, pushing a power bar into Chris' hand, who sat nearby and joined us in a meal.

"Hey!  Look at the walls!"  Pat said with a tone of genuine awe.

I smiled automatically.  The walls were glowing...slightly, but glowing.  Faint patches of purple, pearly white and green, mostly.

"From our lights, I'll bet."  I chuckled, chewing down my last bite of food.

A trickle of water began cascading down a far wall, followed immediately by another gentle stream of water further on. 

So we sat and rested, serenaded by the relaxing trickle of water and bewitched by the faintly glowing cavern walls.

I drifted off into sleep without realizing it...

#70 2005-04-15 18:00:37

Grypd

Science Notes, 14th, June 2103

It was realatively easy to leave the Von Braun Colony, We packed up all we needed in 2 expedition rovers and 3 smaller ones. We number 23 but are a good majority of the the present science staff of the expedition. Still we could not leave without truly saying goodbye and I have left a personal frequency for Colonel Barkley to get in contact with us if needed. We managed to take the lifebank as well. It holds so much that makes the human species what it is and so much DNA of the other species of Earth alive and extinct that I would have felt that I had betrayed every thing I believed in if I had not taken it with us.

Our Home is now a cross shaped habitat of Steel and Martian bubble glass and our single agriculture dome is now active. Our power and water come from the Aquifer we have found though soon with the instalation of the fusion power plant we will be able to have enough power to activate the 3D printer. With that we can start to build and to grow. Already on my stand alone computer is graphics of what could be our first city, we now plan to call Discovery. Still until then we live in a small dirty enviroment.

We have moved to a place where we could be left alone where people are few and the current major factions are not present. We need the peace and time to grow and to become what we plan to be. The first Martian University.

#71 2005-04-19 13:20:10

Cobra Commander

The Prophet did step out of the darkness into the glare of the Martian sun bearing a testament of what the Most High had said unto him, and what he had said unto to the Almighty, for they did converse for the space of many hours on many matters of consequence. And so it was that the Prophet did go forth to spread the revised and improved word, or Gospel of the Prophet 2.0, that the people might rejoice in the revelation, or barring that, revel in the smiting of them that are wicked and full of deceit.

The wording of which did remind the Prophet that there was in fact much barring to be done, for the bars and temples had to each be visited in turn that the word might spread among the people. And though there be those who hath forsaken the covenant, the words and great deeds of the Prophet hath brought them back to truth. And so did the pilgrimage get underway, and the gaggle did grow to a throng long before the Prophet did reach the nearest settlement of much consequence, and the Prophet did signal unto the Priestess of Olympus to prepare for days of glory and deeds worthy of remembrance, and to prepare the armies for deployment at some unspecified point in the future.

#72 2005-05-28 09:24:13

Palomar

We awoke to the sounds of a strange scurrying.

Exhausted, I closed my eyes and began drifting back down into sleep...maybe I dreamed it...

"What are those things?!" 

A commotion, to my right:  DJ, Skylar and Chris scrambling up.

Something black and metallic raced across Pat's body, who flinched and yelled.

We were all on our feet now, watching and wondering.  My heart was pounding. 

Spiders??

"They're Lord Vlork's spider-droids!"  Lynn exclaimed.

"Catch them!"  I yelled, even as the thought of touching one of them made me inwardly cringe.

The race was on.  The spider-droids, all five of them, skittered to and fro.  We dashed, darted, lunged; it was like trying to catch greased piglets. 

Dust kicked up from the cavern floor, mingling with our sweat. 

"I got one!"  Robin hollered, teeth gritted and hands grasping the spider-droid ferociously.

"Damn it!"  DJ growled, as one of the 'droids narrowly escaped.  "Got it!"

Two of the spider-droids zipped back through the narrow opening from which they'd originally emerged.  Skylar managed to grab the last of them.

"What a way to wake up."  DJ muttered unhappily while turning the 'droid over and examining its underbelly -- and the access to its innards.

"We'll program one of them to return to Cave A.  The other will accompany us as a scout...if we can reprogram them."  I added.  "The third...well, I want to know what Lord Vlork's specific intentions were."

Four hours later we'd successfully reprogrammed two of them.  The third we scrutinized carefully.  It seems LV sent the spider-'droids out on a search and report type of mission.  I wondered for how many days -- maybe even weeks -- the dastardly little robots had been swarming through the caves.  We disabled the reportability of the 3rd.  LV didn't need to know our whereabouts.

"The entrance they used; there's a very thin panel of rock there."  Skylar reported.  "If we can knock a hole through it..."

"Yeah, there's got to be a large chamber on the other side of this."  Chris replied.

"Okay.  But we'll eat first and take a breather."

-*-

An hour later we prepared to try and knock down a portion of the thin rock panel which stood as a membrane between this cave and the other beyond it.  Having no proper explosives or drilling tools, we'd have to accomplish this -- if it could be accomplished -- the old fashioned way:  Kick it down.

"I'll go first," I said.  The others lined up for their turn.

I sprinted towards the membranous wall, putting as much momentum into my run as possible.  As per training, I jumped up and kicked at the membrane with both feet -- giving it all my strength.

No result.

The others took their turns. 

A 2nd turn for all of us.

We rested.  No one looked forward to yet a 3rd attempt -- legs and backs aching as badly as they were.

On Chris' 3rd try:  Success. 

We broke and kicked down the remainder of the membrane, which task was certainly much easier now.

A slight breeze stirred within the depths of the new chamber as I stepped in.

A faint glow welcomed us.  The cavern walls glittered like diamond dust.  A steep, winding ledge beckoned to us...and so we began our descent.

#73 2005-05-31 08:18:20

Cobra Commander

The Prophet's Walkabout Journal
(Note: Not for inclusion in holy texts)

So I'm going through the desert on this gm'd horse, didn't bother naming it, and I get a signal from one of those spider droids surveying Hellas. Apparently some colonials caught a few of them and starting dismantling them, trying out new programming and the like. One of them is completely trashed but the others are still transmitting and waiting for the override command. There was a time when I'd send killbots in just for sheer entertainment, but for some inexplicable reason I can't seem to justify it to myself. These infidels seem harmless enough, even friendly at times. Except for the whole infidel thing of course. Might have to head back that way in time, but for now I've got other matters to investigate. Besides, there's dozens of those little buggers scurrying through the Hellas caves, might as well wait until they provide a complete map.

Of greater immediate concern is the imagery from my ornithopter UAV, apparently someone has built a large hab in the shape of a well known heathen religous icon. Why anyone would think a corpse nailed to a piece of wood is a symbol of hope escapes me, but I suppose I can appreciate a certain motivational quality to it. But then for all I know these colonials might just be smugglers who like right angles. Hence the recon droids. They sent back a few photos, some IR scans and a brochure of all things. They claim to be building a university, sounds like a cover story to me. Especially since most of them came from the Von Braun colony, those Terrans are all half a Yu Knight to start with. We'll be watching them.

In the meantime, I've got obelisks to activate. The people need a more hospitable environment to thrive and quite frankly this respirator is becoming uncomfortable. I just hope they're enough. On a related note, the MADMEN are still en route with the the comet core. I should probably just bring it down but I can't help but think a more dramatic approach is needed. Ah well, in time all will unfold as it should.

#74 2005-05-31 10:08:21

Palomar

The spider-droid, altered to our specifications, scurried ahead of us -- leading the way -- although, like a well trained and loyal dog, it stayed well within our proximity.

"Has it"  -- I flinched, startled at Robin's voice suddenly in my ear -- "...sorry.  Has it occurred to you that Lord Vlork might have an override command on those spider-droids?"

The metal critter in question bobbed slightly to and fro, in and out of the gentle beam of my headlight.  It actually seemed happy in its new-found role.  If machines can be happy, that is.

"No, actually it hadn't."  I mused grimly. 

"Hey!  What are you two whispering about, huh?"  DJ challenged.

I gritted my teeth.  DJ could be a royal pain in the rump at the damnedest times.

"If it's just about you and Robin now, I'll gladly turn back!  Maybe all of us will!"

Robin and I stopped and turned around.  I apologized.  I'd been so absorbed in my thoughts and then the sudden question...

Robin revoiced the question.

"Won't matter anyway.  Likely ol' Vlork-dork has dozens more spider-droids scurrying all around these caverns."  Skylar replied in a bored voice.

I turned around again.  The spider-droid stood still, a little red light flickering intermittently on its top, as though awaiting us patiently.  It seemed harmless enough now.

Seemed

We pushed forward, down the inclined ledge.  Thick and fearsome stalactites and stalagmites gripped each other to our right.  They were bony and incredibly gnarled in appearance.  Even the illusion of diamond dust coating their forms didn't soften their foreboding appearance.

It became more chilly and damp in this portion of the cave.  I estimated we'd descended 75 feet since leaving the previous cavern. 

The spider-droid skittered energetically on, pausing when we slowed down so we could catch up to it, all while its little red light pulsed like a beacon.

I wondered furtively if perhaps it had a nefarious plan.  Oh, not its own of course...but if perhaps Lord Vlork had already overriden it...and was leading us straight into peril.

Sighing, I motioned for the others to follow.  I'd take a chance.

The further we descended the less the cave walls glowed.  We adjusted our headlights and pushed on.  An inky blackness swirled about, soon engulfing us entirely. 

The memory of a dream broke into my somber mood:  A gloved hand striking out at my wrist.  A scream, then awakening.

Two hours later, a spelunker's nirvana. 

I gaped.  The others gaped. 

The blackness had given way gradually to a dawning golden-rosy light.  A gilded, liquid gold light.

And now we stood at the threshhold of the source of that golden-rosy light.  We paused.

Reverently, we stepped in.

Tears threatened to spill down my cheeks at the overpowering splendor of it all.

"Don't forget you're a scientist first and an aesthetic second."  Chris teased, poking me in the ribs. 

How had Chris possessed the presence of mind to say something like that while confronted by the spectacular glory before us??

The majesty of the narrow yet long chamber swept me away from my comrades again.

#75 2005-05-31 10:24:43

Cobra Commander

The Prophet's Walkabout Journal

"What the hell is that?" That was my reaction when the spiderdroid sent back the cavern imagery in its usual grainy fashion, overlaid with all sorts of displays that told me nothing. The glow overpowered the low-light optics and the droid was unable to compensate. Apparently those colonial butchers really did a number on its innards. I'm surprised the anti-tamper charge didn't go off, but you know how it is with robot labor. Shiftless. I remember when robots exploded at the slightest provocation, now you can gut one and it just lays there. Sad really.

<a schematic sketch showing modifications to future spiderdroids' anti-tamper system>

They're using the droid as a guide, the temptation to screw with them is growing but I'm not sure the override will even work properly after the mangling they apparently call a repair job. Every third transmission from the unit is a "critical maintenance" reminder, interrupted only by its attempts to scan the light with a spectrometer that no longer functions.

The warm gold glow reminds me, those two minions still haven't delivered that briefcase I sent them for. I have to make a few calls.

Board footer