New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-05-06 08:07:39

bolbuyk

Re: 'Height' of atmosphere

With what 'height' of atmospehere should you work if you like to calculate on orbits around Mars? I can't find the numbers. In a book I read 50 km, somewhere on the internet 120 km, and by making a guess by the gas-law about 210 km.

Apollo went round some orbits at a height of 185 km, so the pressure of 10e-5 Pa is appearantly a number to begin with.

In that case Venus' atmosperic height would be about 270 km.

Does anybody know the numbers? Can't find it on the web.

#2 2004-05-06 08:11:06

Byron

With what 'height' of atmospehere should you work if you like to calculate on orbits around Mars? I can't find the numbers. In a book I read 50 km, somewhere on the internet 120 km, and by making a guess by the gas-law about 210 km.

Apollo went round some orbits at a height of 185 km, so the pressure of 10e-5 Pa is appearantly a number to begin with.

In that case Venus' atmosperic height would be about 270 km.

Does anybody know the numbers? Can't find it on the web.

I don't know if this will be a help to you or not, but here's a cool link to play with air pressure and gravity..just punch in the appropiate variables and see what you come up with...
http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~gerhar … e.html]Air Pressure calculator

B

#3 2004-05-06 21:29:11

RobS
Banned
Website

I once saw the altitudes used to aerobrake orbiting vehicles that lacked heat shields (they used the solar panels) and I was surprised it was so low; maybe 60 or 80 kilometers, I think. But a permanent, stable orbit around Mars would be higher. Probably 200 km is a good guess.

-- RobS

Board footer