New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2004-05-06 08:07:39

bolbuyk

Re: 'Height' of atmosphere

With what 'height' of atmospehere should you work if you like to calculate on orbits around Mars? I can't find the numbers. In a book I read 50 km, somewhere on the internet 120 km, and by making a guess by the gas-law about 210 km.

Apollo went round some orbits at a height of 185 km, so the pressure of 10e-5 Pa is appearantly a number to begin with.

In that case Venus' atmosperic height would be about 270 km.

Does anybody know the numbers? Can't find it on the web.

#2 2004-05-06 08:11:06

Byron

With what 'height' of atmospehere should you work if you like to calculate on orbits around Mars? I can't find the numbers. In a book I read 50 km, somewhere on the internet 120 km, and by making a guess by the gas-law about 210 km.

Apollo went round some orbits at a height of 185 km, so the pressure of 10e-5 Pa is appearantly a number to begin with.

In that case Venus' atmosperic height would be about 270 km.

Does anybody know the numbers? Can't find it on the web.

I don't know if this will be a help to you or not, but here's a cool link to play with air pressure and gravity..just punch in the appropiate variables and see what you come up with...
http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~gerhar … e.html]Air Pressure calculator

B

#3 2004-05-06 21:29:11

RobS
Banned
Website

I once saw the altitudes used to aerobrake orbiting vehicles that lacked heat shields (they used the solar panels) and I was surprised it was so low; maybe 60 or 80 kilometers, I think. But a permanent, stable orbit around Mars would be higher. Probably 200 km is a good guess.

-- RobS

Board footer