New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-11-25 12:02:31

Palomar

Re: Poll @ Space.com

Click Me

*I apologize if this has been posted previously at the boards; I don't recall that it has.  I was a bit surprised with the tally so far.

The poll reads:

President Bush is expected to announce a new mandate for NASA. What should it be?

Humans on Mars. 
Returning humanity to the Moon. 
Energy-beaming power satellites.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-11-25 13:17:56

Euler

The sad thing is that some people actually voted for the energy-beaming satellites.

#3 2003-11-25 14:16:54

Wim
Website

46% is for Humans on Mars
37% is for Returning humanity to the Moon
17% is for Energy-beaming power satellites

Dit anibodie sea my englich somwere ?

#4 2003-11-25 19:17:33

Shaun Barrett

Thanks, Cindy!
    I would have missed the chance to vote if you hadn't given the 'heads up' on this.
    Oh, in case you were wondering, I voted for 'Humans on Mars'.
    NO! ... REALLY?!!!         :laugh:

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#5 2003-11-25 21:12:05

Palomar

Thanks, Cindy!
    I would have missed the chance to vote if you hadn't given the 'heads up' on this.
    Oh, in case you were wondering, I voted for 'Humans on Mars'.
    NO! ... REALLY?!!!         :laugh:

*Shaun!  I'm...I'm shocked!  I'm utterly flabberghasted!  You chose Humans on Mars?!  Whatever possessed you, my good man??

And what a crazy coincidence...I voted the same way!   yikes  As a friend of mine was fond of saying:  "Who'dathunk?"

--Cindy   :;):

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2003-11-25 21:26:22

~Eternal~

Ehh... Knowing bush its probably space nukes hmm,
but I voted Humans to mars.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#7 2003-11-26 02:21:08

Christina

Thanks for the heads up on that one.

[i]the early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese[/i]

#8 2003-11-26 17:54:14

dicktice

Humans on Mars--even one way, for two or more (and 4-years' provisions).

#9 2003-11-26 19:17:14

jadeheart
Banned

Humans on Mars--even one way, for two or more (and 4-years' provisions).

what do you mean by 'even one way?'  do you mean send humans who won't ever return and give em supplies to live 4 years?

i may have misunderstood the meaning, but it does bring up an interesting point in my mind after having observed the enthusiasm of the New Mars clientele:  putting aside the public uproar that would result, i wonder if anybody would volunteer for a suicide humans-to-mars mission?  i wonder how many people believe in the cause to that extent...? 

(i think this idea may have been put into my head by robert L. forward's "rocheworld", which used a similar plot device for an interstellar mission.)

You can stand on a mountaintop with your mouth open for a very long time before a roast duck flies into it.  -Chinese Proverb

#10 2003-11-26 19:34:45

Euler

I might be willing to go on a one-way mission if I were going with poeple I could get along with and if I had suplies/equipment sufficient to survive on Mars indefinately.  I would not go on a mission where the plan is to starve to death after 4 years.

Board footer