New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2003-11-25 12:02:31

Palomar

Re: Poll @ Space.com

Click Me

*I apologize if this has been posted previously at the boards; I don't recall that it has.  I was a bit surprised with the tally so far.

The poll reads:

President Bush is expected to announce a new mandate for NASA. What should it be?

Humans on Mars. 
Returning humanity to the Moon. 
Energy-beaming power satellites.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-11-25 13:17:56

Euler

The sad thing is that some people actually voted for the energy-beaming satellites.

#3 2003-11-25 14:16:54

Wim
Website

46% is for Humans on Mars
37% is for Returning humanity to the Moon
17% is for Energy-beaming power satellites

Dit anibodie sea my englich somwere ?

#4 2003-11-25 19:17:33

Shaun Barrett

Thanks, Cindy!
    I would have missed the chance to vote if you hadn't given the 'heads up' on this.
    Oh, in case you were wondering, I voted for 'Humans on Mars'.
    NO! ... REALLY?!!!         :laugh:

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#5 2003-11-25 21:12:05

Palomar

Thanks, Cindy!
    I would have missed the chance to vote if you hadn't given the 'heads up' on this.
    Oh, in case you were wondering, I voted for 'Humans on Mars'.
    NO! ... REALLY?!!!         :laugh:

*Shaun!  I'm...I'm shocked!  I'm utterly flabberghasted!  You chose Humans on Mars?!  Whatever possessed you, my good man??

And what a crazy coincidence...I voted the same way!   yikes  As a friend of mine was fond of saying:  "Who'dathunk?"

--Cindy   :;):

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2003-11-25 21:26:22

~Eternal~

Ehh... Knowing bush its probably space nukes hmm,
but I voted Humans to mars.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#7 2003-11-26 02:21:08

Christina

Thanks for the heads up on that one.

[i]the early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese[/i]

#8 2003-11-26 17:54:14

dicktice

Humans on Mars--even one way, for two or more (and 4-years' provisions).

#9 2003-11-26 19:17:14

jadeheart
Banned

Humans on Mars--even one way, for two or more (and 4-years' provisions).

what do you mean by 'even one way?'  do you mean send humans who won't ever return and give em supplies to live 4 years?

i may have misunderstood the meaning, but it does bring up an interesting point in my mind after having observed the enthusiasm of the New Mars clientele:  putting aside the public uproar that would result, i wonder if anybody would volunteer for a suicide humans-to-mars mission?  i wonder how many people believe in the cause to that extent...? 

(i think this idea may have been put into my head by robert L. forward's "rocheworld", which used a similar plot device for an interstellar mission.)

You can stand on a mountaintop with your mouth open for a very long time before a roast duck flies into it.  -Chinese Proverb

#10 2003-11-26 19:34:45

Euler

I might be willing to go on a one-way mission if I were going with poeple I could get along with and if I had suplies/equipment sufficient to survive on Mars indefinately.  I would not go on a mission where the plan is to starve to death after 4 years.

Board footer