New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2024-03-15 08:10:38

tahanson43206

Re: Void Postings

For Void re Earth Wind Map

Thank you for finding and showing this link!

Here is the text on the home page for the display:

nullschool.net
earth wind map

tokyo wind map

@cambecc

Someone (or perhaps a group? ) put a lot of time and effort into that rendering!

(th)

#52 2024-03-17 10:30:02

tahanson43206

For Void re recent post about ocean deserts...

https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.ph … 81#p220481

I noticed an interesting statement in the post at the link above.

Your judgement that photons invested in the oceans might be "wasted" caught my eye.

My guess is that nothing the Sun provides is wasted.

Hopefully there are individual humans who have invested their lifetimes learning tiny bits about how the complex interlocking and interdependent systems of the Earth interact with each other.

With any luck, you may run across documentation of how the photons arriving at the surface of the "desert ocean" contribute to the global energy flows.

(th)

#53 2024-03-17 11:16:47

Terraformer
Website

Lot's of what the sun provides is wasted. Life can't survive on light alone; if there's a paucity of everything else necessary, it can't make use of the sunlight.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#54 2024-03-22 17:15:41

tahanson43206

For Void re post about aluminum and oxygen propellant on the Moon ...

Please develop your ideas a bit more, if you have time, and if the subject interests you ...

I looked at the Wikipedia article you linked, and found this:

One potential issue with this approach is the production of dust. As the exhaust cools, particles of aluminum oxide would form, which could be an issue for heavy use. Proper design of the engine could mitigate this however. If the combustion was complete and all products were entirely vaporized upon ejection, the resulting dust should be quite small, perhaps microscopic in size, and traveling at sufficient speed to allow for wide dispersal. Current spacecraft are already designed to handle dust of this size, and its generation should not endanger their use. However, if the actual exhaust velocity is in the range of 1400 km/s, this is less than escape velocity and the exhaust will necessarily fall back onto the Moon.

The dust described as output from combustion would settle on the Moon, eventually, if it is projected back toward the moon during a rocket launch,

This would be convenient, if your rocket company has found a way to collect the exhaust.

It is this aspect of the concept that I am hoping you will develop.

If you can (somehow) find a way to capture all (or most) of the exhaust, then you have a readily available supply of propellant that you can re-use with just sunlight needed to restore usability.

Launching people and supplies from the Moon could thus be made into a recycle operation, with only sunlight needed to power the operations.

(th)

#55 2024-03-28 11:03:04

tahanson43206

For Void about the hint ??? of an idea in a post today ...

https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.ph … 63#p220963

In this post you created a word picture that illuminated in my mind.  It may not have had a similar effect anywhere else.

You were talking about something mysterious (to me) called a "heliostat".   I have observed that you often introduce new concepts into the forum archive and then use terms to reference the new concept.  I often miss the starting point for a concept, and that appears to have happened here.

Apparently a "heliostat" is something similar to a mirror ... apparently it can be pointed during operation, and in your post you talked about directing the outflow from a heliostat away from a cloud that might be forming.

The purpose of ** this ** post is to (at least try to) alert you to a potential for one of your "heliostats"...

If you had one of these on the surface of a planet, and you wanted to increase the flow of photons to another location, you might direct the photons you receive to a reflector in the sky.  There doesn't appear to be much hope for balloons on Mars, much as some of our more enthusiastic members might wish, but perhaps there is a way to suspend a mirror well above the surface of Mars, and then direct the photons to a suitable target on the surface, such as Louis' Sagan City, which is the focus of the My Hacienda topic.

I leave the question of how to suspend a mirror above the surface of Mars without using a balloon to your creative imagination.

(th)

#56 2024-04-03 11:05:04

tahanson43206

For Void about human launch from spinning devices ...

In the topic just restored to view from Spaniard's thinking about mass drivers, you have included an interesting idea...

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 89#p221289

This forum has a productive mix of members who understand math and physics, and others who specialize on other areas of human knowledge.

Your post contains a speculative idea that humans might be accelerated by a spinning device.

There is an opportunity for one of our members who does math and engineering to explain the facts around this idea.

It should be possible for one of our members to present the facts in a way that brings our artists and writers along.

Void, you can help by finding a reference to how much G force humans can tolerate.  This is an important fact that designers of space craft and other vehicles and devices must take into account.

The dimensions of the SpinLaunch system are published, and the velocity attained at exit from the existing machine is published. It should be possible for someone to compute the G force on the payload pod at the end of the swing arm.

This forun has the opportunity to collect useful information, in addition to our primary goal which is to encourage imaginative thinking.

(th)

#57 2024-04-07 07:09:38

NewMarsMember

NewMarsMember wrote:

For Void re #1310

Thank you for this report!  I have seen the same thing. The failure seems to be limited to the level above the forums.

Hopefully our webmaster will be able to investigate to see what might have happened.

NewMars.com has been running for 20+ years as an unprotected http site. We may be forced to upgrade to https.

The hacker/scammers who put 19000+ fake accounts in our database are still pounding on the door.

Another forum that has not shut off the registration option (as SpaceNut has done) has accumulated over 20,000 fake accounts, and more worrisome, at least one of the hackers has found a way to gain posting admission to the forum. That should not be possible, but obviously is ** is ** possible. There must be a bug in the 2012 era forum software.

(th)

Last edited by NewMarsMember (2024-04-07 07:10:31)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#58 2024-04-10 09:36:46

tahanson43206

For Void re link to Telegraph article about Space Solar Power...

Thanks for providing the link to this article:

Solar power beamed to Earth from space could happen within decade
Story by Sarah Knapton • 5d • 3 min read

Ms. Knapton seems to have found the subject/announcement interesting, and she seems to have done her best to put the story into context.

The principles of the Belfast organization seem to have ambition, and that's good, but there is a bit of a leap from the LED demo to a satellite in GEO.

One part of the story that Ms. Knapton omitted was the many decades of history, starting with the vision of Arthur C Clarke and boosted by the work of Peter Glazer.  As far as I know, the furthest anyone has actually gone in developing the technology is Caltech with a from-orbit demo, and the US Air Force with some experiments.

A station in GEO would be vulnerable.

A robust defense capability would seem advisable.

When space based solar power was first imagined, the prospect of global space competitors was not yet clear.

(th)

#59 2024-04-10 20:01:15

tahanson43206

For Void re report of bing problem finding us ...

I do not doubt your report.  I would only note you were using bing ...

I asked Google to perform the same search, and I was startled/surprised to see the hack of our main page listed as the first entry...

If you look through the list below, you'll see plenty of citations for the forum, mixed in with other similar names...

newmars.com: 美品 ナノユニバース カモフラ裏地 ブラック ...

newmars.com
http://newmars.com
·
Translate this page
美品✨ ナノユニバース カモフラ裏地 ブラックフォーマル 黒 M 1B | newmars.com.

New Mars Forums

newmars.com
http://newmars.com › forums
Discussion of what the future colonists of Mars can do to help the Mars Society now and educational outreach through projects like GenMars.
Continue the conversation
Ask a follow up...

AISE objected to the post ... I invite anyone who is interested to run the Google search themselves

(th)

#60 2024-04-11 08:29:38

tahanson43206

For Void re sulfur in post about Venus ...

In your recent post (2024/04/11) you were considering Venus, and commented upon the abundance of sulfur there.

If the subject interests you at all, please consider a bit further what value sulfur may have in the Solar System economy.

Apparently Venus has an ample supply and probably wouldn't miss some if it were appropriated for use elsewhere.

I can't think of anything useful to do with sulfur, but I'm pretty sure there are posts in the forum archive where the authors describe uses.

(th)

#61 2024-04-13 07:20:41

tahanson43206

For Void re new phpBB3 test account ....

I understand that members of the forum do not have time to read every post, so you may not be aware of the test account that the Admins have set up for evaluation of newer forum software.

Please connect to the Azure test account using the information in the Azure topic.

If you encounter an SQL timeout message please just refresh the page.  Azure is a Virtual Machine that goes to sleep and has to be re-awakened.

I'd appreciate your feedback on the site.

(th)

#62 2024-04-16 06:13:10

tahanson43206

For Void re Borg Cube ...

Nice image!

it is a good fit for your new topic... it seems to me.

I'm hoping you'll pick up on the idea first generated by the Star Trek writers.

There might be more to the basic idea than just a neat image.

(th)

#63 2024-04-24 10:11:25

tahanson43206

For Void re Ice Volcano on Ceres

https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.ph … 86#p222286

I asked google to find the image you showed us, and it found a large number of citations.

Thanks for finding and posting the link!

I thought (at first) this might be an AI generated image, but I'm unsure now. 

If you have a bit of time, please find out a bit more about the history of the image.  It is (apparently) associated with the Dawn mission.

(th)

#64 2024-04-24 11:31:41

tahanson43206

For Void re suggestion of lighter weight Lunar lander for Starship ...

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 93#p222293

This suggestion of yours seems quite reasonable.  Please keep watch for any news along those lines...

I ** think ** the NASA Apollo Lunar Landers were made as light as possible.

Perhaps ??? the Blue Origin proposal for a Lunar lander is similarly lightened?

In any case, there ** ought ** to be news on the Internet as Lunar Landings occur or are attempted.

(th)

#65 2024-04-25 14:38:48

tahanson43206

For Void re advances in robotics...

I am following your reports on advances in robotics with great interest, and look forward each of them.

In a possibly related side note ... The developers of ChatGPT4 are trying to improve it's capabilities, but I get the impression their work is like poking an injection of molecules into a working octopus.  In a recent announcement that appeared when I logged in to use ChatGPT4, it was indicated that ChatGPT4's memory would be improved.  However, ChatGPT4 adamantly declares that while it knows about the upgrade, it is not using it and furthermore, capabilities that it had recently have been curtailed  This is like the octopus recoiling in fright at the injection.  Fortunately, the features I depend upon to solve problems with FluxBB 1.5.11 seem to still be working.

This is a related observation ... in order for advances in robotics to benefit all of us, a way to insure that the power of these systems can be extended to everyone, or nearly everyone, is needed.  It is possible the capitalist system can achieve that lofty end point, but I think the temptation of some to gain authoritarian power is a strong current in the human psyche.

(th)

#66 2024-04-26 15:28:32

tahanson43206

For Void re video of advanced Chinese robot video...

https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.ph … 69#p222369
\
Thanks you for finding and showing that video.

I liked the tablecloth snatch ... few humans can match the coordination needed for ** that ** feat...

This post is to thank you, but also to offer a small item for your creative thinking...

Purely by coincidence, a YouTube video popped up this morning, randomly selected by YouTube.  It featured a story about a woman in China who started planting trees in a desert, and a couple of decades later the trees are doing well.  More importantly, others in China were apparently inspired to match her efforts, so that slowly but surely a significant area has been reclaimed. 

I tell you this because I see ** that ** as a useful activity for sufficiently advanced robots.  The labor involved, and the working conditions are awful. The fact that the Chinese woman faced that and persisted is a testimonial to her character, but that level of dedication by humans should (in my opinion) not be needed to reclaim deserts around the Earth, if humans can supervise robot tree planters who work 24*7*365.

In some of your writings, (if I recall correctly) you have imagined robot builders and agricultural workers on Mars and other places.

(th)

#67 Yesterday 07:33:03

tahanson43206

For Void re latest post about shipment of materials around the Solar System ...

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 88#p222388

Your drawings just keep getting better and better.

Your latest drawing showed solar panels (Photovoltaic panels) as the target of the mirror.

That configuration certainly makes sense and it would probably be the first choice for spacecraft designers seeking to implement your idea.

However, for what it might be worth, your drawing reminded me of the solar concentrating towers designed by residents of Spain, and implemented outside of Spain in such locations as California.  The advantage of that particular design is that the thermal energy collected can be carried into interior of the space vessel, if there is any value in doing that.  The technology does not require the sophistication of photovoltaic cells, and it might be an alternative if PV cells are in short supply.

(th)

Board footer