New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-05-02 07:16:37

tahanson43206

Tools - reports - evaluations - recommendations - Real Universe

For SpaceNut ....

We have several topics that contain the word "tool" but none of them provide a place for members to make recommendations about specific tools.

This topic is offered for anyone to post a report about a specific tool that they have actually used (or watched in operation).

This topic in NOT intended for posts about imaginary tools, or tools that might be useful but don't exist.

if there is need for a topic about tools that would be useful but which do not exist today, we can certainly create one.

(th)

#2 2023-05-02 07:20:33

tahanson43206

Re: Tools - reports - evaluations - recommendations - Real Universe

Following a recommendation by ChatGPT (reported in ChatGPT topic) I decided to order a stud finder that is reported to use sound waves to find wooden studs behind wallboard.  i have a magnetic stud finder, but my evaluation of the device is that it is useless.  In the hands of another person, it might be useful, so I won't name the device.  What I wanted was precision that ultrasound offers, and I'm willing to pay extra to obtain it.

Zircon MultiScanner A250c All-In-One Stud Finder/Metal Detector/Live AC Wire Detection and Scanner
Visit the Zircon Store
4.3 4.3 out of 5 stars    978 ratings

List Price:
FREE Returns

Style: A250c
A250c
A150
A200
A250
A100
Stud Sensor SL
Size: Center Finding
Center Finding

Edge Finding
See available options
Brand    Zircon
Batteries Required?    Yes
Material    Plastic
Power Source    Battery Powered
International Protection Rating    IP54
About this item
Ergonomically designed grip allows a comfortable hold on the tool for any size hand, at any angle

ACT (Auto Correcting Technology) automatically corrects common user errors, i.e. when scanning begins over a stud, as the Signal Strength Indicator help distinguish shallower targets from deeper ones

One fully charged 9V battery, not included, is required for the stud scanner to run at optimal performance to help you easily find studs, metal and live AC wiring while avoiding electrical hazards

› See more product details
Customer ratings by feature
Easy to read
4.4  4.4
Easy to use
4.1  4.1
Accuracy
3.7  3.7
Value for money
3.7  3.7
See all reviews

After the product arrives, I'll report on it's performance.

(th)

Board footer