New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#201 2023-01-15 07:48:21

tahanson43206

Re: Email Outreach Campaign 2022-2023

For SpaceNut re #200 -- thanks for confirmation the test email reached you!

Today's candidate is: Paisley from chariot.net.au

I am guessing this is the same gent we met yesterday, so it should be interesting to explore again ...

There is a server responding at chariot.net.au ....

We have an IP address, which I expect is in Australia ... Sydney, New South Wales, ... still there

Paisley is Member 696 from 2004 ... definitely First Wave

Last post: 2004-03-11 19:51:21

Topic: : Unmanned probes » Spirit & Opportunity*4* - continue here »

Paisley wrote:

Hey all,

Post #1 after many months of lurking.

I agree that Bonneville looks a little bland, but do I see a little outcropping of bedrock somewhat to the left (south) of the heatshield on the big pan and about halfway down the slope?  Could be just random boulders I guess, but it looks a bit like tilted bedding.  Not sure if Spirit could reach this, the slope looks pretty steep.  Having said that, ingress looks pretty easy down the slope on the right (east side) of the crater.

And its nice to get a bit of height too, the hills look lovely.  Any idea of how much altitude the rover has gained?  10m? 

Phil

Paisley posted in the middle of an active topic ...  the topic itself continued for 9 pages ... the most recent post was a bump by SpaceNut in 2016

Well, this post invites another attempt by SpaceNut's email, so a second address.

Chances the email is still active after 19 years seem slim, but we'll give it a try anyway.

(th)

#202 2023-01-16 09:10:27

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach campaign ...

Our candidate for today is: ournewevolution

Email is yahoo so the provider still exists

My first impression is cautious ... this person (no computer would create a name like that) may be on the outer fringe

I'll come back to this after a break

ournewevolution is member 139 from 2002 - A member of the First Wave and ahead of RobertDyck

Last post: 2002-03-31 06:51:40

Topic: Martian Politics and Economy » Extending Human Life - Longer lived, resilient colonists needed

ournewevolution wrote:

It is clear that colonizing space will not be an easy endeavor and to succeed human beings will need to be able to live longer and withstand difficult environmental stresses. In order to do so successfully we will need to, either through genetic manipulation or natural means, to extend our common life span. One interesting method, verified by evolutionary biologists, is of extending life spans through delayed reproduction. Simply meaning that if generations of females of a given species are denied reproduction through natural or artificial methods until the latest possible moment the species will slowly extend longevity, endurance and resiliency. Professor Michael R. Rose at UCLA amongst others have reproduced species of fruit flies that live two times longer or more. He has proven that there is no upper limit to age as long as the species lives long enough to reproduce.
If the colonists of Mars, through the probable delay of childbirth amongst the female scientists and technicians, were to live twice as long or more then it would be the Martian culture that would probably be the ones to eventually leave our solar system to colonize our interstellar neighborhood.

The topic started by our candidate received two replies and then expired.

The topic certainly did NOT live up to the long lifetime envisioned by the three correspondents.

Never-the-less, and despite my expectation that our candidate is no longer with us, I'll send SpaceNut's email to the ancient Yahoo address.

I wonder what Yahoo does with email that arrives for users who are no longer with us?

That problem would apply to Google and other free Internet email service providers.

(th)

#203 2023-01-16 12:08:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

The issue may be that the data base corruption may have misaligned the account data as another possible reason for why so many did not return after these great crashes as the old data base may have not been backed up enough. I am hopeful that with continued outreach to those that did have higher posts that some more will revisit the site.
Also, maybe the newcomer in photoByte might as well re-establish connection to some more Mars society members from down under as well. It just might be that chapter reconnect is the answer to gaining traffic to this site as well.

#204 2023-01-17 11:07:45

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #203

I need to remind PhotonBytes to update his profile. 

Today's candidate is okami ... the email provider is Yahoo, and the email name looks normal.

Last post: 2004-04-14 05:07:53

Okami is member 752 from the First Wave: Location: Northeast Texas USA

Topic:  Civilization and Culture» Militarization -Before- Colonization? <<== topic was started by Palomar

Okami's Post is #7 of the topic:

okami wrote:

As a newer member, and this my first post on the site, I must preface my remarks by stating I have no personal computer and have to access the net at work or the library.  As such, it may be some time before I read any replies, good or bad.  Be that as it may. . .

It's my belief that near-earth space will be militarized prior to colonization. It is an inherent part of our bilogical heritage:  conflict even exists among plant life. 

One phenomenon I've noticed over the years is that with every increase in social cohesion comes a requisite increase in violence.  We're already into WW IV;  WW III was the Cold War, where the US & the USSR used the rest of the world as chesspieces.  However, the present war will span generations, instead of years, due to the social, psychological and cultural root causes. 

(If any leader or politician--in any country--believes the "War on Terrorism" can be completed in a few years, I've got a piece of real estate he/she might be interested in.)

Along with our knowledge and ignorance, hopes and fears, our science and religion, we will be taking our capability for violence into space.  Otherwise we are no longer human, since the aggressive spark is as important as is peace.  Any evolution or development cannot be achieved without struggle.

Until Sept 2001, I had thought a real start in mulicultural and multiunational cooperation had began with the ISS.  Since then, it seems less and less likely that those levels of cooperation will remain between governments.

To a great extent, scientists and religious mystics can rise above such petty things and rechannel their aggressions into cooperation.  It remains to be seen whether the rest of the world can do so; so far, the track record hasn't been very good.

One observation I would make is that (apparently) cooperation persists in the ISS project, despite Putin's misadventure with Ukraine.

In any case, this member's ancient Yahoo email account will receive one of SpaceNut's invitations today. 

Yahoo will probably hold onto it for a while.

(th)

#205 2023-01-18 07:56:30

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach Campaign ...

Yesterday we met another member of the First Wave ...

Today's candidate is NupurPandey.

The email provider is gmail, and the email username looks human ... we're off to a good start

Oh oh! The Registration year is 2019 at the height of the spammer flood ... we have an IP address to work with

Registered: 2019-09-30 (Bharti Airtel Ltd - Amravati, Maharashtra, India)
Last post: 2019-09-30 02:29:21

OK ... a visitor from India who dropped off a post and returned three days later to check it

Topic: Science, Technology, and Astronomy » Fuel Cell Development, Application, Prospects

Spam .... inoffensive spam, but spam none-the-less

NupurPandey wrote:

Great Information was very useful for me.

PLC SCADA Training in Nagpur

Our candidate was advertising for "electrical-design-training-programme"

Pass

(th)

#206 2023-01-18 20:26:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

20230117 Outreach Email from NewMars forum has reached my inbox

#207 2023-01-19 08:30:32

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #206 .... thanks for confirmation the test email reached you!

Today's candidate is: no_way

The email provider is hotmail so there is a provider.  The email user name looks (sort of) normal ... at least it is not computer generated.

I am dubious/doubtful/pessimistic this candidate will amount to anything, but... let's find out

no_way was (is) member 569 First Wave

Last post: 2003-11-14 10:34:52

Topic:  Human missions » The Case for the Moon

no_way wrote:

There's another ISRU propulsion scheme that could work out with Moon, if oxygen+hydrogen proves to be infeasible due to difficulties with extracting the hydrogen.
Aluminium-based solid rockets. There's plenty of aluminum and plenty of oxygen, although its obviously a lot more energy-intensive to convert to useable propellant, than it would be with water ice.

This was an active topic at the time...

It reached 85 posts in 2022 with an entry by Mars_B4_Moon

I think the post was reasonable, and I'm curious to know what this candidate might offer today, if the email still works and the candidate is still with us.

Sending.

(th)

#208 2023-01-20 08:29:48

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is: noutram2

The email user name looks reasonable, but the email provider may no longer exist...

Ping did not receive a reply from the server at the DNS name.

However, there ** is ** an IP address associated with that name: London, England appears to be the locale

Well, we can't expect to send an email, but let's see what our candidate offered anyway....

Ho ho! noutram2 was member 158 .... First Wave

Last post: 2002-04-29 06:16:56

Topic: : Life support systems » Lets brainstorm on suit design - We will need suits after all »

The post is #14 in an ongoing topic ... Our candidate mentions Marshal Savage and "The Millennium Project" ... that's a good sign (from my perspective)

noutram2 wrote:

Hi!

First post here. The point Marshal Savage makes in his book "The Millienium Project" (one of my favourites!) is that skin itself is pretty tough stuff. He does mention the tensile strength, etc. but I cannot recall. The flexible rubber suits he mentions where to add an extra layer of external inward pressure, maintain regular blood flow, etc. He also mentions wearing tungsten body plates to reduce radiation exposure -+extra thick 'codpiece'. A helmet is required.

There is so much stuff in his book, I sometimes wonder if he is a nut or genius...

As Nasa doesn't seem too interested in sending people to Mars, a Mars mission could be done with old technology and China is developing fast has anyone considered the first person on Mars will be Chinese (possibly with a little help from Russia)? After they get someone in space next year maybe, then the moon, then a 'fast track' Mars mission...

I like the sound idea -someone has probably got this cracked as part of a Virtual Reality project.

Regards, Nick Outram.

I asked Bing to look for Nick Outram in London, and it may have found our candidate ...

Nick Outram - London, England, United Kingdom

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/nick-outram-03b1463

View Nick Outram’s professional profile on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the world’s largest business network, helping professionals like Nick Outram discover inside connections to recommended …

Connections: 419
Nick Outram - Head of Data Enablement and Governance

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/nick-outram-07bb05

Head of Data Enablement and Governance. O2 (Telefónica UK) Jan 2020 - Present 3 years 1 month. Slough, England, United Kingdom. - Custodian of data for O2 UK, working closely with …

Works For: O2 (Telefónica UK)
Connections: 475
Title: Leader in Data and Privacy …

(th)

#209 2023-01-21 08:29:15

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach campaign....

Today's candidate is: NorbertGiesinger

The Username and the email name look reasonable.

However, the email provider is questionable ... a ping will investigate ... So Solly! could not find host utanet.at

Our candidate was Member #981 First Wave

Last post: 2004-11-02 08:09:19

Well, let's see what our candidate chose as a topic ...

Topic: Unmanned probes » Tidal forces on Titan???

NorbertGiesinger wrote:

Titan is in a locked orbit, revolution is equal rotation.
HOWEVER, due to the eccentricity of its orbit of 0.029, there will be quite significant tides (far stronger then on earth) with a period of about half the revolution time around saturn.
The tides due to the forced eccentricity of Jo are 1-2 orders of magnitude stronger.
Decades ago, i wrote a short article for the german "Sterne und Weltraum" concerning the tides on Titan. I have the paper not at hand, but if I remember correctly, I think the calculated equilibrium tide hight (deformation hight of an iedal liquid) was about 34 m (on earth it is about 1.3 m)

This topic might be worth a revisit .... Mars_B4_Moon stopped by in 2021 with a post about possible probes to Titan.

Mars_B4_Moon stopped by with probe updates in 2022

Well, no email today, but an interesting topic.

(th)

#210 2023-01-24 12:03:17

tahanson43206

Our "candidate" for today looks like a spammer ... nocareer

The email provider was aol ... does that still exist ???

OK ... ping says there is a server responding to aol.com

nocareer is member 116 from 2002 ... a member of the First Wave

Last post: 2002-04-30 01:53:17

Topic: Human missions » Storing Energy on the Moon - Storing it in batteries. »

nocareer wrote:

See this about using the moon's resources to create solar cells:
http://www.aip.org/tip/INPHFA/vol-8/iss-2/p12.pdf

Also, this [collecting power on the moon and sending it back to earth] was discussed on slashdot about a week ago:
slashdot article

This post was the last of a sequence of three ....

The response seemed helpful ... I'll send the email.  After 20 years, there may be some updates to consider.

In the news feed today, I saw an article about a proposal to ship Oxygen from the Lunar poles to where it is needed by pipeline instead of rovers.

There ** should ** be more about that idea, if someone takes a look.

(th)

#211 2023-01-26 08:35:39

tahanson43206

Our candidate for today is nm2015

The email provider may still exist ... Ping confirms there is a server at that DNS name

We have an IP address for the candidate to follow ... whois found our candidate in Romania - RCS Technologies FZE LLC

Count me as skeptical at this point ....

Topic chosen for one-and-only post:  Meta New Mars » Wiki

This is interesting!

nm2015 wrote:

Hi. I put the "Mars" page already. Will try to restore some more soon.

@jburk, any chance for a .htaccess to get rid of index.php and get the page's title directly (short URL), like wikipedia.org?

Reply a few days later:

jburk wrote:

I took down the Wiki because for some reason the database was missing and the wiki page was throwing an error.  Not sure how long that has been the case, since I haven't checked it for a few months.  Also there was really minimal usage from the time I put it up in April until the error started.  As an aside, we don't have the older wiki content anywhere except on archive.org.

If anybody violently disagrees with this decision, please reply to this thread.

OK .... I'll send the email ... this person seemed to be interested in working on something related to the Mars initiative ...

Only 7 years have elapsed... A lot has changed in the forum, and perhaps nm2015 has made progress as well.

(th)

#212 2023-01-27 08:02:17

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is njc

Email is gmail so it everything else checks out a send is possible.

The email username looks plausible ...

Last post: 2017-06-02 01:03:32

We have an IP address to work with ....

OK ... topic time: Mars Society International » The Mars Quarterly »

njc wrote:

I just joined Mars Society and paid my dues on the website. Is the newsletter really once every few years!? Any clarification will be greatly appreciated.

--Nick

This is the first I've heard of the Mars Quarterly .... it does not surprise me that it faltered.... Mars Society is (primarily) a volunteer organization.

However, Nick certainly is someone I'd like to hear from, if the email goes through.

The topic itself is short. It wrapped up in 2017 with a post by SpaceNut.

Sending

(th)

#213 2023-01-28 07:47:47

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach Campaign ...

Yesterday we met someone who joined the Mars Society and who seems worth inviting to return.

Today's candidate is NimaiGifi

The email provider appears (to my eye) to be a commercial enterprise of some kind.

ping surprised me!  There is a server at the address given in the email.

whois found the IP address in Germany, and scamalytics.com found the company that owns the IP address to be associated with scam/fraud activity

Charming ...

Last post: 2017-10-21 05:38:54

Let's see what topic this entity chose for the one and only post...

Topic:  Not So Free Chat » Healthcare for all, not Trump or Obama care

I do not consider the post to be worth showing.  RobertDyck responded in post #35 of the topic.

This candidate will NOT receive an invitation.

For SpaceNut ... I recommend converting this ID to a TestID.

(th)

#214 2023-01-29 08:07:57

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach Campaign ....

Our candidate for today is: NikoleMoon

The email provider is load.mixwi.com >> Ping >> unknown host

Registered: 2020-07-27 (Korea (Republic of) City Ansan, Gyeonggi-do)
Last post: 2020-07-27 18:48:43

OK ....

Let's see what the entity chose as a topic: There are no posts by this user in this forum.

I recommend this ID for conversion to TestID.

(th)

#215 2023-01-30 08:00:05

tahanson43206

Today's candidate looks like a member of the First Wave ...

There is a server responding to the email provider: cs.com

The server appears to be located in Buffalo, New York, USA

The IP address of the server has been reported for abuse.  We'll see.

Definitely First Wave .... Member 219 ahead of RobertDyck
Profile: El Paso, Texas

Last post: 2002-06-26 07:06:40

Topic: Human missions » Why We Need To Go To Mars - We need hope for the future after 911

The one post is on the long side... it is a response to 911, with Mars as a wrapper for a rant about terrorists

Twenty years have gone by, and this person never returned.

The topic itself reached a grand total of four posts, all having to do with terrorists.

Pass.

(th)

#216 2023-01-31 09:28:30

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is a disappointment...

The candidate is from Vietnam (IP is from Vietnam, the name is Vietnamese, and the language is Vietnamese)

Translation to English revealed this is an advertisement for skin care treatment...

I recommend this ID be recovered for use in the TestID collection.

Candidate: nguyenphutoan

I recommend deletion of the post created by this candidate.

(th)

#217 2023-02-01 09:05:17

tahanson43206

Our candidate for today is NeuronExMachina Registered in 2004

NeuronExMachina is a member of the First Wave - Number 1015

Email is gmail, so there is an email provider to work with.

Last post: 2004-12-15 06:29:12

Topic: : Human missions » tSpace

This was post #9 in a topic that was active in 2004 -> I lasted through 2005

The key point is that the individual launches will be much less expensive, with small and simple craft being launched instead of large and elaborate ones. Smaller and simpler craft also allow for much more rapid design iterations. Even though many more launches would be involved, I expect that the t/Space approach would be considerably less expensive than the sorts of things Boeing and Lockheed Martin are proposing.

The post was reasonable, in a sensible topic that went on for a while ...

I'll send the email.

(th)

#218 2023-02-02 08:23:06

tahanson43206

We met NeuronExMachina yesterday, and sent the email.

Our candidate for today is: Neuromancien

The email provider is Yahoo in France.... I assume that domain is still active but will ping to be sure...

Yup! There is a server at that DNS name ... The IP is available ... Quincy, Washington, US Oath Holdings, Inc

Now I'm skeptical ... It appears that this IP hosts multiple domains .... the list includes aol.de ....

On another site, I found a longer list of domains hosted on the site. I also found an indication the prime host is yahoo.com

Let's find out a bit more about our candidate ...

Member 921 from the First Wave

Last post: 2004-08-02 13:17:09

topic:  Interplanetary transportation» Scenario

Neuromancien wrote:

Hello !

How would a manned mars mission look like using a VASMIR propulsion or another form of electrical propulsion ? What kind of launch vehicle would be used ? Do we need to send the earth return vehicle or equipment before, like in a Mars Direct mission ? How long would take the travel and the whole mission ? What about trajectory, launch opportunities and launch mass ? Would the mission be more flexible than a Mars Direct scenario ? And how would such a mars mission look like using a very fast spaceship (for example an americium-based space vehicle which is theoritically able to travel to mars in 2 weeks). I read somewhere that some ion-engine could shorten the trip to 1 month ?

This appears to have been a topic created but there were no replies ....

Perhaps the NewMars members at the time felt overwhelmed by the barrage of questions.

It's also possible the members at the time chose to steer clear of someone with a poor grasp of physics.

I've decided to send the email.  Perhaps Neuromancien (from Paris) has found answers to all those questions, and would be willing to share them.

(th)

#219 2023-02-04 08:07:49

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is: Neonimbo - Member 881 First Wave

Email provider is hotmail, so an email can be sent if appropriate...

Last post: 2004-06-18 19:13:12

Topic: Not So Free Chat » Hello all - New guy here »

Neonimbo wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm Neo, Im an idealist, a dreamer, and I cant wait to explore the stars. I believe that colonizing planets and searching other galaxies should be an institution of the people, and should not be owned by a coporation. I do not think we need a planet GE or a Monsanto Galaxy.
I am not too up on current events in these areas, I basically focus on human rights activism, political reform, and environmental issues, so I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to give me a brief description of whats been going on lately, what current projects are going on, and most importantly how I can help to further the chances of space exploration  smile

By the way, here are my websites that I run. The first I have been doing for awhile, and the second one is going to be more based on globalization.

Bet you cant guess how old I am cool

http://www.contraweb.tk]www.contraweb.tk
http://www.doublethinc.blogspot.com]www.doublethinc.blogspot.com

Both Josh and clark posted welcome messages, and then nothing else happened...

My guess is our candidate was simply advertising the web sites

I'll send the email ... 18 years have gone by ... perhaps something has changed

(th)

#220 2023-02-05 07:59:58

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is Nelson12 .... the email provider was ask-mail.com

ask-mail.com does not exist.

Last post: 2019-02-28 17:24:52

The IP address from which the candidate connected for registration is reported for abuse.

The IP address may have been used by multiple entities.

Let's see which topic our candidate chose for the one and only post:

Not So Free Chat » Physicians Support A Single-Payer Medicare-for-All Health Care Program

I won't bother with the post .... it is written by someone who is learning English ...

I wonder how the post was dealt with by members at the time?

SpaceNut responded to the post but that was the last post in the topic.

The topic itself might have value in the context of Health Care in a Mars Community.

The American system of competing providers might make sense in a community of several million people.

This moment is a reminder (for me at least) to go back to My Hacienda to see what is in place for medical care, and specifically, how costs are allocated over the community.

(th)

#221 2023-02-06 08:04:21

tahanson43206

Our candiate for today is: ned_dodds

The email provider is space.com

As expected, the server at space.com is alive and well.

Ned is/was member 222 - First Wave and ahead of RobertDyck #274
Last post: 2002-06-27 12:36:43

Let's see what topic this candidate chose for a first post:

Topic: Youth Group / Educational Outreach » Killing Dragons: Track and Inform Mars Discussion - Track and Inform Public Mars Discussion

This was post 9 of an ongoing topic, and there was an immediate reply from Phobos

ned_dodds wrote:

Hi Gentlemen!

Being new to this whole process, I've been interested in your discussion so far.  It goes to one of the basic human fears, fear of the unknown.  Zubrin is correct about it's modern manifestations.  We'll always have to deal with it, it won't go away.

My own interest is in how to reach members of the general population and get them to actively support our goals even if they don't want to be involved otherwise.  After twelve years teaching in a public high school and listening very carefully to other teachers talking about ages K-12, I've determined a window which opens when humans can know that the stars in the sky are not just spots of paint on a ceiling, they are places we might visit and closes when the human brain starts to make judgements about the usefulness and validity of information received.  The window seems to open at about age ten, late third grade - early fourth grade.  It seems to start closing at about age fourteen, late eighth grade.  The objectives for the Mars Society Education Task Force say broadly what needs to be done.

I'm speaking on the topic at the Return to the Moon IV conference in Houston in about a month and again at the Mars Society conference in August.  I'd love to meet up with others interested in this area and talk about what we can do.

What I'm doing with my crude web site at Beyond Earth Orbit is very closely related.

Ned Dodds, Founder
Beyond Earth Orbit

The web site Ned started no longer exists.

According to the Wayback Machine, the site was still active in 2018 - well, "active" is not quite the right term ... the site was offered by GoDaddy.com.

beyondearthorbit.org was still alive in 2006...It is an interesting site, with a lot of content on offer.

I would guess the visit to NewMars was intended to advertise the site, since no additional posts were provided.

I'll paste the link to the 2006 site here in case anyone is interested in seeing Ned's work:
http://web.archive.org/web/200604021919 … orbit.org/

I'll send the email, although I would be surprised if the email address is still honored by space.com.  That was 20 years ago...

(th)

#222 2023-02-07 09:03:44

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is NC Martian =>

The email provider appears to be a university .... there is no server at that DNS ....

Correction ... the server does not respond to ping.

Whois says that uncg.edu is current as of January 28, 2022  ... UNC Greensboro

The web site is over the top.  Copyright is 2023.   

Let's find out a bit more about our candidate ...

Last post: 2015-02-25 00:22:20

OK ... NC Martian >> North Carolina Martian

Per Google, the movie "The Martian" came out in October of 2015.

The book was published in 2011

OK ... what topic did our candidate choose?

Topic:  Science, Technology, and Astronomy » I hope they keep the lid very well sealed :-)

NC Martian wrote:

" Study of the flies will give researchers more understanding on how long-duration spaceflight will effect
humans. "

Yes.

That post was the last in the topic, at #12

Well, 7 years have gone by ... perhaps our candidate has embarked upon a career related to space, or perhaps has more to offer ...

I'll send the email.  At least it will end up in the University of North Carolina email archive.

(th)

#223 2023-02-08 07:49:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach campaign ....

Today's candidate is: natekelley

The email address appears to be Carnegie Mellon University .... There is a server responding to andrew.cmu.edu

The forum username and the email name correspond and look reasonable.

Surprise! This is/was Member #28 ... from 2001  ....

Last post: 2001-09-22 21:33:26

This member was in the first froth of the First Wave!

Let's see what topic might have become the permanent home of the one and only post:

Topic: Terraformation » Red Views »

The post has a "college student" feel (as I read it) ...

natekelley wrote:

Stu,  I couldn't agree with you less.  I think that if people settle Mars, people will terraform Mars.  Earth probably won't terraform Mars - Mars will.  The Martians will use their resources to make their lives easier and better.  If they can warm the planet, they will.  The energy required to heat a Martian dwelling will make it well worth it it try to warm the whole planet.

This was post #7 of a topic that continued on for some time ... It reached #61 in 2004, with an accidental bump by Dook.

2001->2023 ... By now (if my guess about being a student is correct) Nate kelley should be well established in a career.

I'll definitely send the email, but my guess is that the email address is no longer active, so the message will just go into the CMU archives.

(th)

#224 2023-02-09 14:07:26

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is: Nate LipscombRegistered: 2002-05-10 (0.0.0.0)
Last post: 2002-05-10 01:00:29

Nate is/was member 178 ... First Wave before RobertDyck

Email is Yahoo, so if everything else checks out a send is possible ...

Let's see what Nate chose as a topic ...

Martian Politics and Economy » Communism is what will happen - Communism on Mars (not Soviet soc.)

This was post 12 of a series ...

Nate Lipscomb wrote:

Second, communism only works in small groups. The population of a Mars base may well develop a communist system but when it develops into a true colony it just won't work.

Agreed that communism has only really been demonstrated to work in small groups.   

However, to me, one of the most different (and promising) aspect of creating a human settlement on Mars is that the numbers of a colony could be very limited.  Advances in AI and robotics will likely eliminate many normal "human" tasks and thus a self-sustaining colony, also pursuing scientific progress such as terraforming, could feasibly exist on Mars with 50 or so people.  Explain to me why that number would  have to increase.

Not only could communistic ownership of property exist (and perhaps flourish) in a Martian settlement of a limited number of people, but I think a consensus-based governing process could really succeed as well.  While collective ownership provides a foundation for a settlement, a process by which decisions are made - from which scientific areas to explore to what to eat for dinner - is going to be necessary. 

Consensus based decision making - where a group collaborates to make decisions that everyone in the group can agree to and support - has proven to be very powerful and successful in small to medium sized groups (up to 200 or so) in community groups, organizations, and businesses.  Consensus-based decisions are often much more accepted and implementable - and rarely lead to group splintering.  A group as small as 50 could use consensus decision making for many decisions, and create a committee system to handle smaller decisions (committees would use consensus methods as well).  Meetings could be facilitated by AI or rotating facilitators from the settler population as well. 

As consensus decision making has proven to be the most solid, sustainable and successful method of making group decisions, I think the small settlement size of Martian colonies could really be a great chance to leverage this new form of self-governance.

The last post is #32, in 2004, by Hazer from Texas/Oklahoma

This topic is one that Mars_B4_Moon has not yet updated.

I'll send the email, even though 18+ years have gone by ...

(th)

#225 2023-02-10 08:27:57

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is Namu

The email address is in France. I'll check it with Ping ... There is a server there....

Namu is/was member 607, from the First Wave ...

Last post: 2004-01-07 22:05:04

Topic: Martian Politics and Economy » The Official Martian Salute - Ordained by Emperor Scott »

Namu wrote:

The good Emperor Norton will never die ! Hail Eris !

I declare all governments as irrelevant.

This was post #13 in a topic that stopped at that point.

It is possible this candidate might have a contribution to make after 18 years, but I am not motivated to find out.

If someone would like to write this candidate, you are welcome to do so.

(th)

Board footer