New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2022-09-21 18:50:12

Void

Re: Cyclone and Huricane Season 2022

I am afraid that I am being a bit of a bad Void here, picking on you and the climate emergency: https://dailysceptic.org/2022/09/14/cli … cientists/
Quote:

Climate Emergency Not Supported by Data, Say Four Leading …
“To date, global observations do not show any significant trends in both the number and the energy accumulated by hurricanes,” note the Italian scientists. The two graphs below demonstrate this. The IPCC has reported that hurricanes have increased in frequency in the North Atlantic since 1878, but the scientists note that observations were relatively low during the first decades of the 20th century.

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/09/14/climate...

Four leading Italian scientists have undertaken a major review of historical climate trends and concluded that declaring a ‘climate emergency’ is not supported by the data. Reviewing data from a wide range of weather phenomena, they say a ‘climate crisis’ of the kind people are becoming alarmed about “is not evident yet”. The scientists suggest that rather than burdening our children with anxiety about climate change, we should encourage them to think about issues like energy, food and health, and the challenges in each area, with a more “objective and constructive spirit” and not waste limited resources on “costly and ineffective solutions”.

During the course of their work, the scientists found that rainfall intensity and frequency is stationary in many parts of the world. Tropical hurricanes and cyclones show little change over the long term, and the same is true of U.S. tornadoes. Other meteorological categories including natural disasters, floods, droughts and ecosystem productivity show no “clear positive trend of extreme events”. Regarding ecosystems, the scientists note a considerable “greening” of global plant biomass in recent decades caused by higher levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Satellite data show “greening” trends over most of the planet, increasing food yields and pushing back deserts.

The four scientists are all highly qualified and include physics adjunct professor Gianluca Alimonti, agrometeorologist Luigi Mariani and physics professors Franco Prodi and Renato Angelo Ricci. The last two are signatories to the rapidly growing ‘World Climate Declaration’. This petition states that there is no climate emergency and calls for climate science to be more scientific. It also calls for liberation from the “naïve belief in immature climate models”. In future, it says, “climate research must give significantly more emphasis to empirical science”.

‘Extreme’ weather events attributed by climate models – somehow – to anthropogenic global warming are now the main staple of the climate alarmist industry. As the Daily Sceptic reported on Monday, Sir David Attenborough used a U.K. Met Office model forecast in the first episode of Frozen Planet II to claim that summer Arctic sea ice could be gone within 12 years. But the likelihood of hardy swimming galas over the North Pole by 2035 seems somewhat remote, not least because Arctic sea ice has been growing in many summers since 2012. According to a recent report from the U.S.-based National Snow and Ice Data Center, at the end of August “sea ice extent is likely to remain higher than in recent years”.

Hurricane and cyclones are favourite subjects for green alarmists. It is unsurprising why they focus on these storms, since the Italian scientists note that historically around 60% of all economic damage caused by global disasters is the consequence of U.S. hurricanes. On May 27th, the Met Office predicted that the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June to November, would “most likely” be above average, with a “likelihood” of 18 named tropical storms including nine hurricanes and four major hurricanes. In fact, the current Atlantic hurricane season has had its slowest start for 30 years. At the end of August there have been no hurricanes, and only three named storms, none of which produced winds of 74mph or higher.

There is plenty of evidence that hurricane and cyclone frequency and intensity has changed little over the recent historical record. “To date, global observations do not show any significant trends in both the number and the energy accumulated by hurricanes,” note the Italian scientists. The two graphs below demonstrate this.

The IPCC has reported that hurricanes have increased in frequency in the North Atlantic since 1878, but the scientists note that observations were relatively low during the first decades of the 20th century. After adjusting for lack of observational capacities in the past, there is a nominal upward trend. This trend, they explain, “is not significantly distinguishable from zero”.

The scientists accept that there has been a recent increase in heatwaves, which they attribute to the 1°C rise in global temperatures, although they note global heatwave intensity trends “are not significant”. They also point out that only a limited number of weather stations have observed an increase in global rainfall. Corresponding evidence for increases in flooding remains elusive, they say, “and a long list of studies shows little or no evidence of increased flood magnitudes, with some studies finding more evidence of decreases than increases”. So far as drought is concerned, the scientists note the AR5 finding of the IPCC that “conclusions regarding global drought trends increasing since the 1970s are no longer supported”. Several studies are said to show no increase in the main indices regarding global droughts.

In fact, a slightly warmer and wetter planet and a little extra CO2 seem to have done wonders for global crop yields. For the period 1961-2019, maize, rice, soyabean and wheat global average yields are reported to have grown every year by 3.3%, 2.4%, 2.6% and 3.8% respectively.

Well-researched, fact-driven, credible scientific papers such as this are crucial in the battle to stop green activists and rentiers having a free run to catastrophise every bad weather event in the interest of promoting a command-and-control Net Zero agenda. Attempting to attribute single weather events to humans burning fossil fuels is the product of feverish imaginations and ‘garbage in, garbage out’ climate models. Rational, evidence-based science should be promoted at every opportunity.

Chris Morrison is the Daily Sceptic’s Environment Editor.

Tags: Climate Alarmismclimate changeClimate EmergencyExtreme weatherNet Zero

And this is yet another thing: https://canadanewsmedia.ca/parts-of-man … -phys-org/  Quote:

Parts of many coastal cities are sinking faster than the sea is rising – Phys.orgPublished 18 hours ago  on September 20, 2022By Harry Miller

So then if your land is going under water, it is not necessarily rising sea levels, or not only rising sea levels.

I did work in metrology, and also process control for a fair amount of time, and it drives me nuts, when people do not consider their measurements correctly.

I do not deny that CO2 is a greenhouse gas but think that there has been a pseudo religious/political hysteria generated for the profits from news feeds and to give people who want to find something to become in charge of (So they can exploit $$$ and power).

It is very psychologically unhealthy in my opinion.

And we need to be afraid of what people like the emperor Constantine might try to do with this panic.

One opinion, not necessarily mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SKV9zLnmY

It is true that some religious thinking wants the common people to be poor, as wealth leads them to sin, (So they say).

My understanding from other reading is under him just about everyone not in the power structure was demoted to a sort of surf status.

I am not knocking Christianity here, except those who are contributing to the panic.  But we seem to have a non-Christian religious movement rising in the climate crisis panic.  And there are surely those who think, being a noble above surfs as just wonderful.

Of course I am not one of them.

I am not anti-Christian by the way.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2022-09-21 19:19:35)

Done.

#27 2022-09-21 19:45:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes, weathering of the shoreline is not just from a rise in water levels but also from wave induced power slamming into the land as it's an increase in volume of water. That came from energy that the water is receiving just the same as when a hurricane picks up its category numbers as that energy is coming from heat....

#28 2022-09-22 10:53:07

Void

Not to be a painful annoyance to the sitting feature, but...........

Leaving the Constantine video aside, the content of my last post was............

1) Italian scientists say that there is little or no evidence of climate change stimulation of Hurricanes, or Tornados or the like.
2) Italian scientists say that the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere has cause greening all over the planet, and I will suggest that that could change albedo.

3) Rather than rising seas being responsible for the encroachment of seas on land, it is subsidence that is more important, where a fluid is taken out of the ground such as water or oil.  This may be true for many cities.

Yes, I suppose waves might erode a bit more into land if the sea levels rise or the land levels fall.

And that's most of it.

Last edited by Void (2022-09-22 10:58:03)

Done.

#29 2022-09-22 21:31:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Change is just that it's the balancing of an equation in that we will get areas that are becoming greener but on the opposite side just as many locations are turning brown from drought. Which means that an increasing co2 level means the equation is retaining heat not staying stable or dropping.

Seems that hurricanes are rare in Italy which start in August while we are seeing them in June for the US.

#30 2022-09-23 08:22:20

Void

Here is another article.  Don't know if it is only Italians.................

Your mention of "Browning" against CO2 greening, it troubling to me, as I expect warmer oceans to produce more rain an snow.

We might expect that for the Arctic and Antarctic.  For Antarctica at least in general snow should stay for a long time.  I am not saying the glaciers may not be draining into the seas at a higher rate, but it seems somewhat likely to me that a warming planet will have more moisture moving through its atmosphere.

Temperate deserts, where the seas that feed moist winds, should receive a greater offer of moisture and if the deserts did not more greatly warm up than those waters, then more rain and snow.  I do leave the possibility that that might occur.  It is a question to answer with actual data, not attributions from crowds.

One interesting thing I have suggested in the past was to put heliostats on the Moon to shine a little extra light into these bodies of water that distribute water to the deserts.  Of course, then this creates an opportunity for the usual idiots in wise costumes to do bad things with that.  And of course you would be manipulating the environment, which could have negative consequences.

If we had an intelligent human race, then such an array on the Moon could at times be used to warm those oceans just a bit, and otherwise do other service such as shine light on nighttime solar Pannels, and perhaps ward off some night frosts, in the autumns North and South of the planet.

A diversion, the book, "The madness of crowds" might help you.  But no, I see that someone has recently published a new one.  I am thinking of a much older one.  That new one appears to be a likely attempt to paper over the older one.  I have not read it yet, so am not sure.  It looks like it could be Woke deceptions.

Anyway, the saying is that a crowd of idiots acts like an idiot. And a crowd of highly intelligent people also acts like an idiot.

In the craving for power over people, here in the USA and in other places, possibly some in the so called "West", and other places as well, we have a problem with those who are authoritative, and seek to gain power by manipulating crowds.

I believe that the authoritative version of humans is a mutation caused by aged so called Civilizations.  These would be less likely to exist among so called "Hunter Gatherers".  To have such a personality type in a group that is relatively small, would not be of a profit genetically.  It would not be so likely to prosper.

So, these odd creatures, are more likely have come from heritages that are where old civilizations, (If that is what they actually were), existed.

Here in North America, and to a somewhat lesser extent parts of Europe and other places, we still have some inertia from the wilderness, that makes it more possible for individuals to keep at bay the Zombie peoples who derive genetic and cultural heritage from the old and very old world.

The zombies are largely people who do not want to work for a living but want to speak for a living and want to direct violence against those who defy their cravings for power and the unearned wealth that it may get them.

Well, don't get me wrong, you do need speech and communications and coordination to get some things done, but these zombies exploit that need and misdirect social actions to a purpose of their greed.  And to get away with this they have to demonstrate somehow how what they do represents a virtue.

It is my opinion that their type is perfectly happy to disfigure the individuals of the general population emotionally and otherwise, and to sow the seeds of perversions that do not allow proper interactions.  This is then how they can create a need for their guidance, and so their power and access to wealth that is unearned.

But I need to tie the above to so called Climate Change/Crisis/Catastrophe now don't I.

The typical nature of the youth is that they are insecure, because they have not lived long, and are not familiar with the tricks of life.  They also have raging hormones, and often not very many ways to deal with that.  They may have great talents in some cases, but often have not realized them yet, which can be frustrating. And most of them are ignorant.  That is not to say they are all stupid, they just haven't been around for very long relative to use oldies.

So, if you want to exploit them make them feel insecure and claim that you have the plan that will save the situation.
The make sure they are all broken and confused and cannot interact with each other properly without you as the focus point.

While you are doing that, pose as authoritative.  I think that wearing wire rimmed glasses might insinuate that you were an intellectual.  (It does not affirm it however).  I don't know that that will work very well now.

Frustrating people sexually is a great tool.  Especially for dealing with young people.  Teach them to do everything wrong, and then "Say to sell" a solution to the problem, but don't fix them. Make them worse if possible.

This then might cause the money and power to roll into a focus, which you the evil old world mutant, may hope to exploit.  If you are really good at it you might even be able to get the lower ranks to genocide themselves and each other.  After all you are a disease, and wish to infect as many as possible and so multiply yourselves.

But too many chiefs and not enough braves.  Then the so called civilization falls, and the wonders of dark ages are yours, wasting generations of people.

Enough for now!

Done.

Last edited by Void (2022-09-23 09:09:05)

Done.

#31 2022-09-24 11:29:00

Mars_B4_Moon

Typhoon Talas lashes central Japan, killing two

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/ty … ng-2962396

#32 2022-09-26 12:25:33

Mars_B4_Moon

"They were living heroes": 5 rescuers killed trying to save villagers trapped in typhoon floodwaters in Philippines

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/typhoon-no … ilippines/

#33 2022-09-26 19:58:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

Hurricane Ian Could Gain Strength Rapidly. Here’s Why.

Here are key facts about how climate change can rapidly intensify tropical storms.

Warming oceans fuel higher winds; More than 90 percent of the excess heat from human-caused global warming over the past 50 years has been absorbed by the oceans. Since 1901, sea surface temperatures have risen an average of 0.14 degrees Fahrenheit per decade, according to data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

That’s crucial, because storms gather strength over the ocean. And, the warmer the water, the more power they pick up. Higher surface temperatures allow hurricanes to reach higher levels of maximum sustained wind, a common metric used to describe the intensity of a storm.

#34 2022-09-27 17:48:26

tahanson43206

If anyone is interested in seeing Hurricane Ian live, the Naples pier webcam seems to be well situated to show the situation live.

I normally set the view on a spare monitor to enjoy the balmy weather and antics of the beach goers.

The pier is lit up as usual at night, but it is deserted right now.  The skyscape is loaded with clouds, as might be expected.

the website is: https://www.earthcam.com/usa/florida/na … naplespier

(th)

#35 2022-09-27 20:22:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

Evacuation for a large number of people in Florida. FEMA presence has already got boots on ground.
Hurricane Ian strengthens to Category 2, could reach Category 4. Track the strom path

#36 2022-09-28 06:16:18

tahanson43206

The Naples Pier webcam showed a turbulent beach scene, froze up and returned after a delay.

The waves are being driven from the South.

I expect there is no one in the kiosks at the West end of the pier.

The display froze again.

It is possible there are too many people connected to see the hurricane live.

If there were any surfers on the scene, they'd definitely have good waves!

According to Accuweather for Naples, the eye of the storm is just off shore, due West.

If there were a storm surge, it would certainly be visible in this webcam view, but I see little evidence of higher water at this point.

On the ** other ** hand, the waves are splashing water onto the boardwalk, as they crash into the columns holding the walking surface.

There's a surprising amount of sunlight reaching the scene.

(th)

#37 2022-09-28 11:22:39

tahanson43206

Update at 13:15 local time (which would match Florida time) ...

The storm surge is clearly visible at the Naples Pier web came.

The beach is no longer visible, and the boardwalk is nearly surbmerged.

The camera itself appears to be mounted above likely flood stage.

The waves are ** really ** respectable now.

The kiosks at the end of the pier are barely visible due to spray as the waves wash over the boardwalk.

I scrolled down and found: This camera is unavailable

Too bad for viewers, but understandable.

On the other hand, that view is still being served from a webserver somewhere.

If you want to see what the beach looked like before the camera went dead (or was shut off), you can try:

www.earthcam.com/usa/florida/naples/?cam=naplespier

OK! The web server has saved impages from earlier, so it might be possible to see what was happening before the camera stopped transmitting.

(th)

#38 2022-09-28 18:35:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

Storm surge has not only filled the streets but is moving many vehicles in its path.
roadways-become-waterways-in-naples-as-eyewall-of-hurricane-makes-landfall

#39 2022-10-02 15:02:50

SpaceNut
Administrator

Now for the west coast to see a visit from now a category 4
Hurricane Orlene Expected to Hit Western Mexico by Monday

#40 2022-10-03 10:45:21

tahanson43206

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/02/us/solar … index.html

Success story of Solar Power in Florida!

This 100% solar community endured Hurricane Ian with no loss of power and minimal damage
Rachel Ramirez

By Rachel Ramirez, CNN

Updated 11:53 AM EDT, Sun October 2, 2022

The Babcock Ranch solar array, which is run by Florida Power and Light.
Jeff Greenberg/Education Images/Universal Images Group/Getty Images
CNN

Anthony Grande moved away from Fort Myers three years ago in large part because of the hurricane risk. He has lived in southwest Florida for nearly 19 years, had experienced Hurricanes Charley in 2004 and Irma in 2017 and saw what stronger storms could do to the coast.

Grande told CNN he wanted to find a new home where developers prioritized climate resiliency in a state that is increasingly vulnerable to record-breaking storm surge, catastrophic wind and historic rainfall.

What he found was Babcock Ranch — only 12 miles northeast of Fort Myers, yet seemingly light years away.

This aerial photo shows damaged homes and debris in the aftermath of Hurricane Ian, Thursday, Sept. 29, 2022, in Fort Myers, Fla. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

Hurricane Ian has devastated the Fort Myers area. Some people floated on freezers to escape

Babcock Ranch calls itself “America’s first solar-powered town.” Its nearby solar array — made up of 700,000 individual panels — generates more electricity than the 2,000-home neighborhood uses, in a state where most electricity is generated by burning natural gas, a planet-warming fossil fuel.

The streets in this meticulously planned neighborhood were designed to flood so houses don’t. Native landscaping along roads helps control storm water. Power and internet lines are buried to avoid wind damage. This is all in addition to being built to Florida’s robust building codes.

Some residents, like Grande, installed more solar panels on their roofs and added battery systems as an extra layer of protection from power outages. Many drive electric vehicles, taking full advantage of solar energy in the Sunshine State.

Climate resiliency was built into the fabric of the town with stronger storms in mind.

So when Hurricane Ian came barreling toward southwest Florida this week, it was a true test for the community. The storm obliterated the nearby Fort Myers and Naples areas with record-breaking surge and winds over 100 mph. It knocked out power to more than 2.6 million customers in the state, including 90% of Charlotte County.

But the lights stayed on in Babcock Ranch.

“It certainly exceeded our expectations of a major hurricane,” Grande, 58, told CNN.

A damaged building is seen in Babcock Ranch after Hurricane Ian.

Courtesy Nancy Chorpenning

An uprooted tree in Babcock Ranch after Hurricane Ian.
Courtesy Nancy Chorpenning

The storm uprooted trees and tore shingles from roofs, but other than that Grande said there is no major damage. Its residents say Babcock Ranch is proof that an eco-conscious and solar-powered town can withstand the wrath of a near-Category 5 storm.

“We have proof of the case now because [the hurricane] came right over us,” Nancy Chorpenning, a 68-year-old Babcock Ranch resident, told CNN. “We have water, electricity, internet — and we may be the only people in Southwest Florida who are that fortunate.”

Grande said Hurricane Ian came through southwest Florida “like a freight train.” But he wasn’t afraid that he would lose everything in a storm, like he was when he lived in Fort Myers.

“We’re very, very blessed and fortunate to not be experiencing what they’re experiencing now in Sanibel Island and Fort Myers Beach,” Grande said. “In the times that we’re living in right now with climate change, the beach is not the place to live or have a business.”

© Mapbox © OpenStreetMap Improve this map
Solar success
Syd Kitson, a former professional football player for the Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys, is the mastermind behind Babcock Ranch. Kitson envisioned it to be an eco-conscious and innovative neighborhood that is safe and resilient from storms like Ian.

The ranch broke ground in 2015 with the construction of the solar array — which was built and is run by Florida Power and Light — and its first residents moved into the town in 2018. Since then, the array has doubled in size and thousands of people have made Babcock their home.

(th)

#41 2022-10-03 19:26:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

#42 2022-10-03 23:08:26

Mars_B4_Moon

I know we had some newmars forum members in Florida, South Carolina. Hope all are ok. These events used to be a rarity but you hear more news reports of more intense and frequent Cyclones and Category 4 Hurricane and Category 5 seem to happen more often in the US and around the world, maybe that's what the years will being ahead and people really get hammered this time. I hope all are safe there is the clean up after inland surge, Millions without power amid storm surges, inland flooding. It looks like Artemis 1 is undamaged now a cleanup, and the Space Coast will be back in business. but maybe these events are here to stay and will come more often that's just the way it is.

#43 2022-10-04 15:53:14

Mars_B4_Moon

Horrific Storm - Timelapse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8yTiCVfro

15ft Storm Surge or 4.5 Meters Surge

Mars might need its own design for hazard, it might have dangers of landslide, a place to live must have ways to offer protection from radiation CMEs Cosmic Rays, constant storms of dust these fine sands have been the slow death end of many a Lander and Rover. Perhaps a new design is needed and also Mars has active weather,  microwave emissions from a 2006 dust storm suggest a lightning bolt, I have never seen a photo of a lightning bolt on Mars but you can expect electrical discharges.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-10-18 08:15:51)

#44 2022-10-04 17:28:27

tahanson43206

For Mars_B4_Moon re #43

Thanks for finding and showing that ** really ** impressive video from Fort Myers.

I am impressed by the storm, and by the house meandering away, but what impressed me the most was the resilience of the camera, which kept working despite being occasionally submerged!

The web cam at Naples Pier has been re-running footage of the storm that swept across the beach ever since the event.  I'm assuming ** that ** footage was recorded on a server well away from the beach, and hope the Naples Pier feed returns to service at some point.

(th)

#45 2022-10-07 17:26:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

We do have a few more that are forming but seem to be heading Mexico way.

The days have passed since Ian passed through Florida and it killed at least 120 people.

#46 2022-10-10 04:34:05

Mars_B4_Moon

Next NOAA weather satellite launching just in time

https://spacenews.com/jpss-2-launch-briefing/

The launch of the next U.S. weather satellite is coming just in time to ensure the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has two healthy spacecraft making observations from polar orbit.

NOAA is preparing to launch the Joint Polar Satellite System-2 on Nov. 1 from Vandenberg Space Force Base in California. The satellite, built and integrated by Northrop Grumman, will travel to low-Earth orbit on a United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 401 rocket.

Although the new satellite is called JPSS-2, it is the third satellite in the JPSS constellation. The first was Suomi National Polar-Orbiting Partnership satellite launched in October 2011. Suomi NPP was designed as a precursor for the joint NASA, NOAA, Defense Department National Polar-orbiting Operational Environmental Satellite System (NPOESS). Since NPOESS was cancelled, NPP was pressed into operational service.

After nearly 11 years, Suomi NPP is running low on fuel. It was launched with enough propellant to maintain its orbit for at least 10.5 years plus enough extra fuel to deorbit over the Pacific Ocean.

“We’re getting towards the end of that lifetime,” Tim Walsh, NOAA JPSS program director, said during an Oct. 4 press briefing. “We have to think of innovative ways to keep it in its desired orbit.”

Because the Suomi NPP instruments continue to function well, NOAA is considering options to extend its life, like allowing the satellite to drift in orbit.

First though, the agency wants to ensure that JPSS-2 and its instruments built by Ball Aerospace, L3Harris Technologies, Northrop Grumman and Raytheon Technologies are functioning well. The JPSS-2 satellite, which will be renamed NOAA-21 in orbit, will gather observations in tandem with NOAA-20, which was known prior to reaching orbit as JPSS-1.

The benefit of having two satellites making observations in low-Earth orbit was demonstrated during Hurricane Ian.

NOAA 20 imagery showed two sides of the Category 4 Atlantic hurricane. In contrast, Suomi NPP captured an image “right down the center of the storm,” said Jordan Gerth, NOAA National Weather Service meteorologist. “It’s critical for our meteorologists to have the best view of the various storm systems.”

#48 2022-10-13 07:31:39

tahanson43206

This is for Calliban, in hopes you visit this topic ....

I've long thought that it should be possible to design a system to harvest energy from hurricanes or cyclones ...

The thought came back to mind, as SpaceNut's reminder of Hurricane Karl appeared in Post #47

By any chance, can you imagine a system capable of surviving winds up to 200 mph (322 kph), and able to collect enough energy to justify the investment?

Such a system could be mounted on land in a location where hurricanes (or cyclones) are frequent.

If the components were light enough to be moved by air, they could be delivered to land sites prepared ahead of time, as a particular hurricane bears down.

It seems to me that well proven aircraft propeller technology should be adaptable to this application.

The most direct energy storage system that might accompany such systems would be hydrogen/oxygen production and cooling.

Seaborne systems ** might ** be feasible, but wave action would be challenging for a designer.

The service to be performed would be reduction of energy content in the storm system, (a social good), in addition to production of stored energy (a commercial good).

(th)

#49 2022-10-13 15:17:54

Calliban

It is possible in principle.  But any machine designed to harvest hurricane energy would sit idle most of the time.  This would probably result in a poor energy payback.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#50 2022-10-13 17:29:55

tahanson43206

For Calliban re Post #49

Thank you for a (quite reasonable) observation regarding harvesting of kinetic energy from hurricanes.

In order to (at least try to) move this discussion to the next step (whatever that may turn out to be) I would like to offer the fact that agricultural equipment that costs a great deal can pay for itself even though it is only used for a part of the year.

This quotation from an agricultural web site gives a hint of what we may discover, as we proceed...

Weekly Farm Economics
Cost Management: Harvest Operations
Krista Swanson, Gary Schnitkey, Nick Paulson, Jonathan Coppess
Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics
University of Illinois
Carl Zulauf
Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics
Ohio State University
September 1, 2020
farmdoc daily (10):158
Recommended citation format: Swanson, K., G. Schnitkey, N. Paulson, C. Zulauf, J. Coppess "Cost Management: Harvest Operations." farmdoc daily (10):158, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, September 1, 2020.
Combines are the largest cost machinery item on most Midwest grain farms.  As such, periodically evaluating whether owning or out-sourcing combining is prudent, particularly at the point where a combine needs replacement.  To obtain the lowest costs, newer combines must be used on 1,500 acres or more per year.  If this is not occurring, another option may be lower cost.  Alternatively, other sources of returns will be needed to justify owning a combine on lower acreage farms.

My assumption is (pending further input members may provide) that the earnings from 1500 acres of wheat provide sufficient compensation to support the land owner, the family associated with the property, ** and ** the equipment and energy and other supplies needed to operate the farm.

The question I am offering NewMars members for study, is the question of whether the "harvest" of energy from hurricanes might be sufficient to compensate investors for up front and ongoing expenses.

I asked Google for help with the question of how much energy the average hurricane might spin up ...

Here is a preliminary snippet to (hopefully) start the thought process:

How much energy in a hurricane, a volcano, and an earthquake?
science.howstuffworks.com › ... › Energy Production
If we start by looking at just the energy generated by the winds, we find that for a typical mature hurricane, we get numbers in the range of 1.5 x 10^12 Watts ...

Here's another, but this estimate is for heat energy, which is (of course) NOT the same thing as wind energy that might be collected.

How many watts is a hurricane?
The heat energy released by a hurricane equals 50 to 200 trillion watts, according to the National Center for Atmospheric Research. That's about the same amount of energy released by exploding a 10-megaton nuclear bomb every 20 minutes.
How to Prepare for Hurricanes and Tropical Storms | Safe Kids Worlwide
www.safekids.org › blog › how-prepare-hurricanes-and-tropical-storms

It is known that humans have harvested gentle winds (for sailing) for thousands of years.

The existence of massive hurricanes is not yet recognized as a practical energy source (as far as I know).

However, this ** is ** the NewMars forum, where truly astonishing ideas can and do show up, from time to time.

(th)

Board footer