New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2004-03-19 04:17:45

Mundaka
Banned

Re: Ordered a New Telescope! - ...YIPPEE!!

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#27 2004-03-19 06:10:51

Byron

Well, Mundaka...at least you did society a huge favor by leading the cops to this guy...I hope he has enough outstanding charges to keep him in jail for a *long* time...hehe.  It's scenes like this that make me think that we should require an IQ test for anyone wishing to obtain a driver's license...I know it's mean not to let stupid people drive, but I really think we need to take them off the road before they kill the rest of us... yikes

You're lucky to have a big car, etc...not to mention your 'scope coming out okay.  Too bad you couldn't see the blue spot on Jupiter...lol.

B

Edit:  The proper spelling of the word you used is "schadenfreude"...it's one of my "pet" words I like to use every now and then...hehe.  I certainly feel that way for that guy that hit you and got his butt arrested...LOL...

#28 2004-03-19 13:02:44

Palomar

*Well, Mundaka, I'm glad to hear you, your girlfriend and your telescope pulled out of that one okay.  You must have a die-hard Dobsonian.  smile

El Paso is a crazy town; I don't like driving there at all (too many wrecks, too many pedestrians getting mowed over).  My husband and I stay to the north side of the city, if we go to dine or whatever.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#29 2004-03-20 14:25:18

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

#30 2004-03-20 14:34:01

Bill White

Mandatory insurance is MOST un-libertarian, right? big_smile

#31 2004-03-20 15:56:37

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

#32 2004-04-07 12:02:03

Palomar

*My solar screen and Barlow lens just arrived via UPS.  The Barlow lens is 2.5x...we've got clear skies today (::keep fingers crossed::); I'll definitely be taking the 'scope out tonight.  I'll set up the solar screen later today or tomorrow.  Can't -wait- to see Sol's disc and sunspots for myself, on that screen via my own 'scope! 

I'm glad I didn't have to wait any longer (since January).  Will fix that Barlow lens and my highest-powered eyepiece on Saturn first...want to get "upclose and personal" with The Lord of the Rings.  wink  Mars and Jupiter next! 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#33 2004-04-07 21:19:53

Palomar

*The solar screen works -great-!  Getting the Sun centered is a bit trickier than one might imagine, because of course you can't use a viewfinder; and it's -not- easier just because it is glaringly bright.  The Sun's apparent disc is, of course, approximately the same diameter as a full moon.  Directions call for angling the telescope until it throws the least amount of shadow; that didn't work, so I stood in front of the telescope and angled it until I could see, down the mirror, that it was pointed at my throat (go ahead, laugh tongue) because then the Sun was directly behind the nape of my neck.  Worked like a charm.  smile  The solar disc was almost too bright even for the solar screen; I put on my sunglasses.  Its size on the screen is approximately that of a clementine.  Saw sunspots, very easily; two large ones.  (Using lowest-power eyepiece).  I held my hand over the eyepiece, close; could easily feel the sun's magnified rays very hot on my hand.  I bet I could light a piece of paper or a match by it in no time.  :-\

This evening I used the Barlow lens.  Saturn first.  While viewing Jupiter a little meteor zipped through the field!  smile  That's very rare; I actually straightened up and gasped slightly.  Jupiter's disc is roughly 1/3 inch in diameter at highest magnification (very good); band markings are distinct, saw 3 of the Galilean moons.  Mars is very far, even with highest mag.  Venus is half-phase.  Tried for the Whirlpool Galaxy in Ursa Major -- too much light pollution apparently; I didn't spot it. 

The Barlow lens only works well with my highest-power eyepiece when I'm looking at deep-sky objects.  But trying to get a planet into view with that eyepiece coupled w/the Barlow lens is like trying to look down a pistol barrel (field of view far too narrow).  Barlow lens does work spectacularly, though, with the two other eyepieces on planets. 

Next to buy:  Filters, to bring out markings and cloud bands better.  Especially a moon filter. 

And I can't wait to fix my Barlow lens on those Lunar craters, etc.  smile

Well, that'll probably wrap up this thread.  I'm not sure how interested others here are in my amateur astronomical "doings" (probably not much)  :laugh: 

--Cindy

#34 2004-04-08 00:09:56

GraemeSkinner
Website

The solar disc was almost too bright even for the solar screen; I put on my sunglasses.  Its size on the screen is approximately that of a clementine.  Saw sunspots, very easily; two large ones.  (Using lowest-power eyepiece).  I held my hand over the eyepiece, close; could easily feel the sun's magnified rays very hot on my hand.  I bet I could light a piece of paper or a match by it in no time.  :-\

Could you try some sort of aperture reduction on the front of the scope (a baffle perhaps?). You could probably make something quite easily from thick card that slots over the front of the scope to reduce the amount of light coming in and stop you needing to wear sunglasses.
For a while i've used Baader Solar film* for astrophotography with some good results, in the UK it sell for around 12 GBP for an A4 sheet. I know quite a few people that use it on all size of scopes for viewing the sun, I just like to use it for photographing sun spots. With it being a product you cut up and make into a filter to fit yourself, I had enough left over (just) to make an extra filter for my finder scope (I doubled the film and you can just make out the sun in the finder enough to locate where you want to look).

I won't even start on the price of telescopes (mentioned previously on this thread), in the UK we have a terrible exchange rate when it comes to imports of Meade telescopes (in the US a scope can retail for 4000 USD when you buy it in the UK its 4000 GBP).

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#35 2004-04-08 06:41:02

Palomar

The solar disc was almost too bright even for the solar screen; I put on my sunglasses.  Its size on the screen is approximately that of a clementine.  Saw sunspots, very easily; two large ones.  (Using lowest-power eyepiece).  I held my hand over the eyepiece, close; could easily feel the sun's magnified rays very hot on my hand.  I bet I could light a piece of paper or a match by it in no time.  :-\

Could you try some sort of aperture reduction on the front of the scope (a baffle perhaps?). You could probably make something quite easily from thick card that slots over the front of the scope to reduce the amount of light coming in and stop you needing to wear sunglasses.
For a while i've used Baader Solar film* for astrophotography with some good results, in the UK it sell for around 12 GBP for an A4 sheet. I know quite a few people that use it on all size of scopes for viewing the sun, I just like to use it for photographing sun spots. With it being a product you cut up and make into a filter to fit yourself, I had enough left over (just) to make an extra filter for my finder scope (I doubled the film and you can just make out the sun in the finder enough to locate where you want to look).

*I was considering affixing a big square of beige-colored masking tape to the solar screen (which is made of painted metal, an "off white" color on 'scope-facing side; I'm sure a gentle adhesive like masking tape wouldn't harm it at all), but I like your idea better.  smile  It'd also save on my concern about the sunlight's harshness on the optics.  My 'scope has a non-magnifying viewfinder; I could certainly affix something over it as well. 

You've taken photos of sunspots?  I wish you'd consider putting them on the 'net and perhaps posting them in the "Heliopolis" thread. 

--Cindy

#36 2004-04-09 02:16:55

GraemeSkinner
Website

I'll be putting any astrophotographs on my web site, but its still under construction (I've hundreds of photo's waiting to be scanned and no time). Photographing sunspots is something I've been trying on and off for a while - sometimes with better results than others, but I'll keep trying and post a link to any good ones I manage to take.

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#37 2004-04-24 04:50:43

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

#38 2004-05-22 05:54:45

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

#39 2004-05-22 10:16:55

Palomar

*Hi Die-Hard...er, I mean Mundaka.  smile

So you belong to your local astronomy club?  I would consider joining the one here in Las Cruces, but they've taken it upon themselves to volunteer YOUR telescope to anyone who might wish to crash the star party.  They advertise as "anyone can come, bring family and friends, look through our telescopes."  :-\  That'd be like joining a car club with the expectation that anyone else can traipse along and you're expected to hand over the keys and let them take a test drive of your equipment.  I don't think so.

I have let lots of people look through my telescope and handle it...at *my* discretion.  My 'scope isn't the biggest or the most expensive (ha ha), but I worked hard for it as a teenager and it has a lot of sentimental value. 

Anyway, I kind of like quiet, starry nights with just "me and my telescope" or a few friends and family around, sharing the views with them.

I did have my solar screen attached the other day, observing sunspots.  I asked some neighbors, who were staring with curiosity at my 'scope, if they'd care to come look at the screen; they were in a hurry, and declined.

Anyway, I'd be more apt to join my local amateur astronomy club with the provisio that who touches your 'scope is your decision, not an open-ended "volunteer" sentiment.  :-\  If someone were to drop or break my 'scope, would they pay for a replacement?  Ha.  And the sentimental value couldn't be regained.

--Cindy

#40 2004-05-22 21:09:15

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

#41 2004-05-22 21:32:02

Palomar

I hear ya Yoko -- er, I mean Cindy. big_smile

:laugh:

(Actually, I've always thought George was the cutest Beatle).

:;):

--Cindy  cool

#42 2004-06-23 05:56:41

Palomar

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/ob … _1.asp]The "Lunar 100"

*Sky & Telescope online is running this article again in their e-bulletin.  Rilles, domes, ridges, craters, etc. -- best sites on Luna.

Reminder:  Never look at full moon via magnification WITHOUT a filter of some sort.  Could damage your eyes otherwise.

I need to order another lunar filter for my 'scope and "go hunting." 

--Cindy

#43 2004-07-18 16:48:18

Yang Liwei Rocket

cool scope
There are tonnes of good photos taken with regular cam and CCDs using scopes to capture the planets, I've seen some good details on websites
Have you tried to do any Astro-imaging yet Cindy ?

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#44 2004-07-18 18:43:50

Palomar

cool scope
There are tonnes of good photos taken with regular cam and CCDs using scopes to capture the planets, I've seen some good details on websites
Have you tried to do any Astro-imaging yet Cindy ?

*Hi YL Rocket:  No, my telescope isn't compatible with astrophotography (it doesn't have electric-motor drive or right ascension & declination settings); it must be maneuvered about manually.

--Cindy  smile

#45 2004-07-29 14:23:06

SBird
Banned

Ah, Congrats on the new scope.  The scope I won is also an Intelliscope and I've been very impressed by the quality of the thing.  Just last week, I was able to see M81 and M82 while on a street corner with 5 sodium streetlights within 100 feet of me. 

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any filters yet (especially that solar filter...drool.)  or any eyepieces other than 10mm and 25mm that came with.  I've already got an expensive wish list of stuff I want to get... better eyepieces, a Barlow, a nice filter set, an LED sighting aid, etc.  However, so far I've been able to do some very nice viewing.  I can regularly see Jupiter's bands but no luck seeing the spot so far.  I was even able to get some crude astrophotography done by having my roomate take pictures of the moon through the eyepiece.

Either tomorrow night or Saturday, I'll be hauling the scope outside Seattle for the first time to get some viewing away from the city lights.

#46 2004-07-29 14:46:23

Palomar

Ah, Congrats on the new scope.  The scope I won is also an Intelliscope and I've been very impressed by the quality of the thing.  Just last week, I was able to see M81 and M82 while on a street corner with 5 sodium streetlights within 100 feet of me. 

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any filters yet (especially that solar filter...drool.)  or any eyepieces other than 10mm and 25mm that came with.  I've already got an expensive wish list of stuff I want to get... better eyepieces, a Barlow, a nice filter set, an LED sighting aid, etc.  However, so far I've been able to do some very nice viewing.  I can regularly see Jupiter's bands but no luck seeing the spot so far.  I was even able to get some crude astrophotography done by having my roomate take pictures of the moon through the eyepiece.

Either tomorrow night or Saturday, I'll be hauling the scope outside Seattle for the first time to get some viewing away from the city lights.

*Hi SBird -- nice to see you again.  smile  Yes, I recall you mentioning a month or so ago that you'd won a telescope.  Sounds wonderful, and good luck with it.

I'm going to purchase a Star Blast from Orion, and a solar filter for it.  Can even see granulation detail with the filter, etc., not just for sunspots.

--Cindy

P.S.:  I sent back the Intelliscope I ordered months ago, shortly after getting it.  It was defective.  I still have my original telescope of course (which isn't compatible with any solar filter on the market, hence the need to buy a different one).

::EDIT::  Orion sells a variety of nice filters, including one specifically for cutting back light pollution.   :up:

#47 2005-01-30 20:27:48

Palomar

*Imaginova has acquired Orion Telescopes & Binoculars:

January 13, 2005
Orion Telescopes & Binoculars sold
Imaginova, the operator of Space.com, has acquired Orion Telescopes & Binoculars. Orion, of Watsonville, California, sells its broad line of instruments and accessories through its catalog, website, and specialty retailers.

In addition to the Space.com web site, Imaginova, of New York City, produces LiveScience.com, the Space News trade publishing business, and the Starry Night astronomy software and DVD brand.

Found that item in Astronomy magazine's online newsletter.  Orion had great service, but I wasn't happy with the product I purchased (and returned) last year.  A New Mars member mentioned to me yesterday having trouble with a *Celestron* of all things.  :-\  (Celestron...the Cadillac of telescopes or so I thought??).

--Cindy

#48 2005-01-31 16:35:10

ERRORIST

My buddy made a 14 inch scope years ago and we could see the comets marks on Jupiter after the collision. They looked like periods on the end of a sentence............................Were were amazed because we knew if just one of those spots were here on Earth we would all be gone.

#49 2022-06-29 10:41:37

Mars_B4_Moon

Light Pollution?

Newest Starlink Satellites Have Gotten Brighter Again - SpaceX have had to ditch the sunshades because the lasers can't pass through them
https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-n … ter-again/

#50 2022-09-13 07:20:57

Mars_B4_Moon

Experts Say Annoying New Satellite Might Be Brighter Than Any Star

https://futurism.com/the-byte/experts-n … -night-sky

Board footer