New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-01 12:05:55

Palomar

Re: Ordered a New Telescope! - ...YIPPEE!!

*I'm getting a new telescope!  Hooray!  smile

My husband initially wanted me to wait until after the holidays, but he gave the "go-ahead" on it this morning. 

I wanted an 8", but he was rather insistent that a 6" was fine (grumble, grumble...teehee), so here's what I'm getting in my stocking for the Yuletide holiday; a SkyQuest XT6 Intelliscope (you can search the online catalogue if you want to see what it looks like):

http://www.telescope.com

I opted out on the computer controller, however; this telescope is very light weight, moves up and down and swivels...and I've been star-hopping for years now.  It's light-weight too...my female muscles can handle carrying it, placing it where I want it, etc.  wink

And, since I'm very interested in pursuing solar astronomy (best of both worlds, right?  Night -and- day), I ordered a solar filter for my 'scope -- which are marvelous, top-quality.  They can be found in the Accessories section, search with "solar filter."

I can't wait for my first look at the sun -- its spots, its granulation detail, this is going to be fabulous!

I'm so excited!!!!

--Cindy  :laugh:

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-12-01 13:15:07

Byron

That's so cool  big_smile   I'm excited for you...especially being able to look at the sun with a six-incher  tongue

Any idea of exactly when the UPS will be pulling up to your house with it?  (and just think...you'll be able to start using it right then and there...lol.... smile  )

B

#3 2003-12-01 14:39:27

Palomar

That's so cool  big_smile   I'm excited for you...especially being able to look at the sun with a six-incher  tongue

Any idea of exactly when the UPS will be pulling up to your house with it?  (and just think...you'll be able to start using it right then and there...lol.... smile  )

B

*I ordered for standard shipping ("arrives 3 to 6 business days"); however, the catalogue page says the item is "back ordered"...so I don't have a target date of delivery yet. 

We've been having such gorgeous clear, sunny skies...I hope this weather holds, but our winter monsoon season should be kicking in within a week or two (although we're in a drought).  We generally have 300 sunny days a year...

I am so looking forward to seeing our big beautiful star through that filter!  It's amazing that the technology has now become so widespread that solar filters can be sold at a reasonable price...are even available to amateur astronomers!  I remember the days of having to project the sun's image onto cardboard, or seeing (rare...very rare) *eyepiece* solar filters for sale...nearly $800.00 apiece!  It's incredible, a solar filter which fits over the barrel of the telescope for a fraction of the cost of those old special eyepieces.

And yes...I'll be setting it up >pronto<! 

--Cindy  smile

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2003-12-01 15:43:51

dickbill

lucky you, I think I'm gonna have to wait until next year to get mine.

give us your feelings when you get your first light Cindy.

#5 2003-12-02 06:36:09

Palomar

lucky you, I think I'm gonna have to wait until next year to get mine.

give us your feelings when you get your first light Cindy.

*Sure thing, dickbill.

By the way, if I remember correctly from a couple of your posts here at New Mars, you live in New York City...(?)...a telescope in a major metropolitan area would certainly be a challenge (light pollution). 

--Cindy

#6 2003-12-02 11:32:58

dickbill

By the way, if I remember correctly from a couple of your posts here at New Mars, you live in New York City...(?)...a telescope in a major metropolitan area would certainly be a challenge (light pollution). 

--Cindy

New York City, absolutely, but when the wind blows hard and removes the city fog, the sky can be pretty clear actually. Like now in winter, If I could go to central Park with a 6 feet/ 60 pounds telescope, observating would be best, I think, with a refractor.
That's what everybody say, refractors are best for big cities.
Well, there is that huge 6 inches Meade refractor for less than a thousand dollars. (it's cheap because it's not a fluorite Apochromatic, it's just a lens doublet, but still, the image sharpness must be fabulous). Unfortunatly life's event makes that I have to spent the money other way. In addition I plan to move in the next 4 months either in Florida or in Washington DC area. If it's florida, I will still choose the refractor, because I don't think that with the humidity and lights in Miami, reflectors would  be very efficient.

Will see...

#7 2003-12-03 10:17:17

Palomar

In addition I plan to move in the next 4 months either in Florida or in Washington DC area. If it's florida, I will still choose the refractor, because I don't think that with the humidity and lights in Miami, reflectors would  be very efficient.

*I remember condensation and the mirror "fogging over" being an occasional problem in Iowa (humidity; regardless of whether it were summer or winter) with my Astroscan reflector.  I'm not sure how effective refractors are as regards humidity, because I've not worked with one for many years (and then just briefly).  I'm fortunate that humidity (and mosquitos) are not a problem where I live. 

Good luck with your endeavors. 

--Cindy

#8 2003-12-03 10:59:15

dickbill

*I remember condensation and the mirror "fogging over" being an occasional problem in Iowa (humidity; regardless of whether it were summer or winter) with my Astroscan reflector.  I'm not sure how effective refractors are as regards humidity, because I've not worked with one for many years (and then just briefly).  I'm fortunate that humidity (and mosquitos) are not a problem where I live. 

Good luck with your endeavors. 

--Cindy

When humidity is a problem, a "dew cap" is needed. But even in Florida, I've seen some deep sky pictures taken by local astronomers. It's also possible to go in the montains to have a better sky, but there is no mountains in Florida as far as I know.
Just the blue sky, the blue waters, the palm trees...ahhh life is so hard.  sad

#9 2003-12-03 15:00:24

Josh Cryer

Hey Cindy! I just saw your post. Congrats! big_smile

Let us know when you take it out.

And are you going to attempt to take pictures with it? (Not sure if you have astrophotography equipment, but who knows.)

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#10 2003-12-03 15:28:46

Palomar

Hey Cindy! I just saw your post. Congrats! big_smile

Let us know when you take it out.

And are you going to attempt to take pictures with it? (Not sure if you have astrophotography equipment, but who knows.)

*Thanks Josh!  Yep, I'll definitely share taking the 'scope out.  smile 

No, I'll not being doing astrophotography.  The 'scope will not been motorized for that (to keep the object in a camera's lens against the Earth's rotation, i.e. the exposure/light gathering time needed to take good photos [I'm sure you know about the details; I'm giving a very brief explanation for folks who might not be familiar with this]). 

I was interested in astrophotography when I was younger, but I've subsequently lost interest...especially with all the really awesome Hubble pics, other photo sources, etc. 

--Cindy

#11 2003-12-04 13:08:19

Palomar

*Well...my solar filter just arrived 10 minutes ago.

I hope I get my 'scope today (that would be...nice).  I'm keeping an ear out for my dog going bonkers and barking again at a delivery person...

--Cindy  :laugh:

#12 2003-12-04 13:17:42

Byron

Cool.... big_smile   

If you don't get it today, chances are it'll come tomorrow, unless it's on back-order.  But I sure do hope you get it by the weekend so you can report back to us... smile

B

#13 2003-12-15 12:51:13

Palomar

*Yesterday I went back through my Astro Cards sets, jotting down items (galaxies, clusters, nebulae) I want to view with my new 'scope when I get it (it should be shipped tomorrow...backordered).  I remembered Phobos (who formerly participated here) asked me a long time ago about Astro Cards, when he was planning on buying a telescope and learning the major constellations, etc.

I couldn't find a web link for "Astro Cards" on Google or anywhere else.  I'd forgotten that their mailing address is listed on the very back of an index in the cards.  But of course my sets were purchased in 1981...thus, I had no idea if the company which published them were still around or if perhaps had "sold out" to CD-ROM set up.

I checked Google with "Astro Cards Natrona" (Natrona, Pennsylvania):  Here is the link (same street address as printed on my old cards...bless their hearts!):

http://www.astronomy.net/astroguide/pub … tro_Cards/

Here is a sample of what the cards look like (they are recipe-card-sized, and can fit neatly into any recipe box...I keep mine in a very sturdy plastic yellow recipe box I purchased back in 1981):

http://www201.pair.com/resource/astro.html/AstroCards/

They are wonderful to have...all instructions are included in a very easy format with each set, etc.  One pack of cards features Messier objects; another NCG objects; another is devoted binary stars...etc.  Lots of cool little notes, "how-to" tips, etc., are included as well.  These cards are very "newbie" friendly (but of course are an excellent resource for "old hands" as well). 

--Cindy

#14 2003-12-15 16:07:09

Josh Cryer

Those are really great Cindy, low tech, and just overall cool. smile Hope ya got a red flashlight.

I borrowed a friends Palm a few weeks ago, and I found this nifty little star viweing program. It was pretty dang cool. I think it was called a "planisphere," and it was similar to these astro cards (only, of course, it was digital, and browsable, etc). One of the neat features is that one can turn it on red, so that your eyes don't lose their light sensativity.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#15 2003-12-15 16:09:32

Josh Cryer

And man, did anyone see that moon last night? Simply breathtaking... love it when the moon hangs low like that. I still can't get over the fact that it's an optical illusion (because it almost seems twice as big). Does the atmosphere have a magnifying effect, perchance? Or is the increased size of a low hanging moon really all in our heads?

--------

#16 2003-12-15 16:14:45

Palomar

Those are really great Cindy, low tech, and just overall cool. smile Hope ya got a red flashlight.

I borrowed a friends Palm a few weeks ago, and I found this nifty little star viweing program. It was pretty dang cool. I think it was called a "planisphere," and it was similar to these astro cards (only, of course, it was digital, and browsable, etc). One of the neat features is that one can turn it on red, so that your eyes don't lose their light sensativity.

*Yep...got my astronomer's red-tint flashlight way back in 1981 too.  Still have it; right by the Astro Cards.  smile  You can remove the red filter as well, for use as a regular flashlight when needed for other purposes.

--Cindy

#17 2004-02-10 09:22:21

Palomar

*Well...the telescope I ordered in December didn't quite work out.  It didn't perform satisfactorily.  I ordered a replacement; it was defective.  sad

I've decided to stick with my current 'scope for the time being, maximizing its abilities.  To that end, I placed an order with the company I purchased it from years ago; specifically, I ordered a Barlow lens and sun screen made specifically for my 'scope.  I placed a "rush" order...2 weeks went by with no delivery.  I called the company regarding the seeming holdup; we had a payment option difficulty, but now everything was straightened out (or so the employee told me) and the order would be outgoing that very same day.

Yesterday I received a phone call *from* the company, asking me what payment option I wanted (!!!) and the 2 items I'd ordered are back-ordered until April.  No record was made of my phone call last week, when I thought all this was straightened out.

Good grief.  I think it's time I had a baby.

--Cindy

#18 2004-02-11 15:38:04

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#19 2004-02-12 06:10:53

Palomar

Sorry to hear about the scope Cindy, I got a SkyQuest a little over a year ago and maybe I got lucky but it had a good mirror and no problems with construction yet even though I've dragged the darn thing all over the place (ever watch a 10 inch dob start rolling around the back of an SUV as you bounce down pitch dark country roads?)

*A 10-inch Dob -- that sounds very nice.  I'm glad it's worked out for you.  You must get a lot of really stunning images in the eyepiece. 

I'm not sure I'd want to try a Dobsonian make again, however -- too bulky and cumbersome; I'm holding out for a Meade or Celestron.  Expensive, yes -- but compact and I like the fact that the eyepiece is situated at the bottom; easier hunting and viewing, IMO.

As for Earthlink...sheesh, thanks for the warning; I have 2 ISPs (work-related - security), one of which is Earthlink. 

--Cindy

#20 2004-02-12 06:36:21

Byron

I'm not sure I'd want to try a Dobsonian make again, however -- too bulky and cumbersome; I'm holding out for a Meade or Celestron.  Expensive, yes -- but compact and I like the fact that the eyepiece is situated at the bottom; easier hunting and viewing, IMO.

Yeah, I've been checking out some Meades on the web recently; those are some mighty fine scopes aren't they?  Especially that 12" they have....lol... tongue   It can be had for the low, low price of $4000...hehe.  Oh well, it doesn't hurt to dream, does it?

Unless I move to a less light-polluted area, though, I'm sticking with my good 'ol 4" Astroscan...no sense in paying big bucks for something that you're not able to get full use out of... ???

B

#21 2004-02-12 06:56:03

Palomar

Yeah, I've been checking out some Meades on the web recently; those are some mighty fine scopes aren't they?  Especially that 12" they have....lol... tongue   It can be had for the low, low price of $4000...hehe.  Oh well, it doesn't hurt to dream, does it?

Unless I move to a less light-polluted area, though, I'm sticking with my good 'ol 4" Astroscan...no sense in paying big bucks for something that you're not able to get full use out of... ???

B

*Yeah, I hear you Byron.  smile

Actually, I'd prefer to have a Celestron 8".  But we'll see.

In the meantime, I know (as do you) that Astroscan *performs*.  It might be a humble little 'scope, but by god it's worth its weight in gold. 

Wide, generous field of view...crisp, sharp images...easy portability...the secondary mirror stays put...

I really wish Edmund Scientific would put out a 6" Astroscan (if that would even be possible...I know absolutely nothing about optics and building scopes, etc.); I'd buy it right now.

--Cindy

#22 2004-02-12 09:04:34

dickbill

B

*Yeah, I hear you Byron.  smile

Actually, I'd prefer to have a Celestron 8".  But we'll see.

In the meantime, I know (as do you) that Astroscan *performs*.  It might be a humble little 'scope, but by god it's worth its weight in gold. 

Wide, generous field of view...crisp, sharp images...easy portability...the secondary mirror stays put...

I really wish Edmund Scientific would put out a 6" Astroscan (if that would even be possible...I know absolutely nothing about optics and building scopes, etc.); I'd buy it right now.

--Cindy

Hi Cindy, Byron,

I read the reviews for the Meade schmidt-newtonian 12" f:4.
At this apperture and focal ratio it is extrabright. For deep field & astrophoto it would overclass completely a celestron8. For high magnification planetary observation, 'aperture rules', but the reviews and users said that the mount is barely able to sustain the tube and I would think that the celestron 8 would give more reliable, steady results.

But a 12" in that range of price around 1000$ is an incredible value. If you are interested in nebulae and galaxy, that the one you need.

About the refractors now. In my young time, I had a 3" refractor, and it was expensive. Now Meade and other propose 6" refractors under 1000$, amazing. If the collimation is still good when you receive the refractor. My guess again is that the 6" Meade refractor would give sharper images than even a 8" Schmidt Cassegrain.

By the way, your story Cindy is not rare, non-collimated mirrors  at delivery request you to manually adjust the mirror, if you can. I even read some stories about decollimated lenses doublet in refractor. And long delay stories are common too.

#23 2004-02-12 09:28:37

Palomar

By the way, your story Cindy is not rare, non-collimated mirrors  at delivery request you to manually adjust the mirror, if you can.

*That was one of the difficulties with the defective 'scope.  It arrived in an uncollimated state.  No problem -- I used a hex key and a Phillips screwdriver, and very carefully adjusted the secondary mirror according to directions.  It collimated quite nicely.  The supports holding the secondary mirror in place seemed sturdy, all was well.

I took it outdoors, and three times in the field the secondary mirror went out of collimation -- markedly so.  sad  It's not a lot of fun trying to recollimate outdoors, with a red flashlight.  The secondary mirror just would not stay put.  ::shrugs::  I figure it was a mount problem within the assembly to begin with (the peripheral attachment to the spider brackets [correct name?] seemed fine; the attachment of the top of the secondary mirror to the inner tube assembly itself seemed the culprit).

I didn't bump the telescope; I handled it very carefully.  The only movements I made with it were the necessary gentle sweeping angles needed to get an object in view. 

Another problem was a stripped screw coming out of the eyepiece holder, and the eyepiece suddenly dropping out as a result. 

There were a few other issues as well.  I packed it up, sent it back, got a refund. 

Quite an interesting experience, and a real disappointment; the defective was an 8"...I was certainly hoping it would have worked out!  My husband was not happy about all the hassle either, so there'll be no new "adventures in telescopes" for awhile.  :;): 

--Cindy

#24 2004-02-12 11:38:00

dickbill

I took it outdoors, and three times in the field the secondary mirror went out of collimation -- markedly so.  sad  It's not a lot of fun trying to recollimate outdoors, with a red flashlight.  The secondary mirror just would not stay put.  ::shrugs::  I figure it was a mount problem within the assembly to begin with (the peripheral attachment to the spider brackets [correct name?] seemed fine; the attachment of the top of the secondary mirror to the inner tube assembly itself seemed the culprit).

Terrible. The problem with the secondary might be due to metallic dilatation due to temperature change, but still, this is a serious bad design.

I have to say that the new Meades are very cheap for the aperture, this might be good, this might also means everything has been designed with cheap materials...made cheaply, faster and surely not better, at the limit of the manufacture specification tolerance.  You might have get a bad lot.
Cheap cheap cheap...
Meade and Celestron are serious telescope manufacturers, and I thought Orion too.
For a time I was attracted by the 10' Orion, but when you hear stories like that, you think it twice.

#25 2004-03-17 11:17:57

Palomar

I've decided to stick with my current 'scope for the time being, maximizing its abilities.  To that end, I placed an order with the company I purchased it from years ago; specifically, I ordered a Barlow lens and sun screen made specifically for my 'scope.  I placed a "rush" order...2 weeks went by with no delivery.  I called the company regarding the seeming holdup; we had a payment option difficulty, but now everything was straightened out (or so the employee told me) and the order would be outgoing that very same day.

Yesterday I received a phone call *from* the company, asking me what payment option I wanted (!!!) and the 2 items I'd ordered are back-ordered until April.  No record was made of my phone call last week, when I thought all this was straightened out.

*Well...let's see.  I posted the above on February 10.

It's March 17 and my order from Edmund Scientific still has not come in.  That company is definitely NOT what it was in the 1980s. 

The rubber mat I ordered was in stock, but the Barlow lens and sun screen were still on back-order.  Edmund Scientific does not have an extensive line of accessories for the Astroscan...I'm perplexed as to how things could be on back-order so long, unless of course it's a matter of infrequent purchases.

The last time I talked with the company I was told I should receive my order completely in April.  And I ordered in January.

I would cancel the order, but I'd like the matching Barlow lens for the specific eyepieces I already own and there is no other company which sells sun screens (for solar viewing of course) for the Astroscan.

This is SAD.  I hope most science-oriented companies aren't this disorganized and inattentive. 

--Cindy

::EDIT::  I took my 'scope out the other night.  Saw distinct cloud band markings on Jupiter, and 3 of the Galilean moons (the other Galilean must have been behind Jupiter at that time).  Saturn is a beauty; can see the spaces between the globe of the planet itself and its inner rings.  Checked out the Orion Nebula, spotted The Trapezium, etc.  smile  Mars and Venus too.

Board footer