New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#2251 2022-06-18 20:34:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Housekeeping

The first is to receive the reset password in an email to the user at which time the user is to log in with it and then change it on the user profile page.

The log in page allows for the user to stay logged in by setting a cookie in the computers cache. If that box is not checked the user will need to log in each time. It will appear as if the user password did not work. Also if you have set the computer to clear the cache when the browser is closed would do the same.

#2252 2022-06-19 05:49:32

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2251

Thanks for noting the report of a possible problem with the password change feature.

Thanks too, for writing out (for all our members) how the password change feature is supposed to work.

FriendOfQuark1 is reporting that the password change feature did not appear to work.

We CANNOT assume the password change feature is still working, because it is so seldom used.

It is prudent to test the password change feature to be sure it is still working.

Do you want to test the feature?

If not, just let me know, and I will test it.

The test scenario I am suggesting is to use one of our TestID's.

We'll have to create an email account for the test, since FluxBB will not allow duplicate email addresses.

Here is a factor for your consideration.... FriendOfQuark1 is using a Mac.

I expect a Mac to handle Internet interactions the same as Windows or Linux.

(th)

#2253 2022-06-19 05:52:02

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair Initiative ...

We are definitely on the downslope, after passing 60000 yesterday.

Today's Trailbreaker will try for 60300.

Update at 12:14 local time

Completed Sequence for ID: 60300

Total Command Lines found: 52
Total input Lines in script: 177

Number of ID's processed: 300

Starting Number: 60001

Last Number of Run: 60300

Summary for Web Automation Report for 06-19-2022 at 12:07:16
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:38
52 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 03:10:54

Potholes: Zero
Skip analysis for 52 skips:
  Lines containing String One 101 <<== 52 less 34 >> 18 posts to visit
  Lines containing String Two 70 <<== 34 SpaceNut posts

The edits are complete at 13:08 local time ... Inspector will now check the work

Update at 15:11 local time ... Inspector finished with a Green screen ...

Completed Sequence for ID: 60300

Total Command Lines found: 31
Total input Lines in script: 160

Last Number of Run: 60300

Summary for Web Automation Report for 06-19-2022 at 15:12:16
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:22

Total time of Processing: 01:49:01

Edits: Zero
Good run

There will be no ReScan this evening. The laptop gets a break.

Work on the Auditor feature advanced slightly.  20 text files are in preparation.
The goal is to compare the text in the FluxBB database with the text from the log files.
An ideal comparison would show the proposed update with Smiley Faces, and the download with question marks, and everything else the same.

(th)

#2254 2022-06-19 06:02:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

If you select the stay logged in function box and close the browser window notice the color of the newmars forums screen as that is a clue as to what is happening. If its the same as the unlogged in use of the pages after the password change then its not saving the cookie for your sessions.
I am going to log out and test appearance stuff.

edit
after log out the color of the page will change.

I did a log in but did not check the box and there is no problem as I am updating this post.

I will now close my browser and then will expect the page for newmars forum to be set to the not logged in color.

edi2

just opened a new browser wind and it comes up as not logged in showing that when I check the box on the log on screen it was a possible cause to not thinking that the change had worked.

#2255 2022-06-19 06:52:25

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re problem of changing the password not working.

Thanks for testing the "stay logged in" feature.

That is good, to know that feature is working.

However, the ** change password ** feature seems to be failing.

I used the Test iD we've set up to show the most recent login (FriendOfQuark1_2022)

I set the email address to an email address not already in the system.

I then attempted to log in and requested a new password.

FluxBB said it was sending a new password to the email address entered into the window of the request screen.

However, after several minutes, nothing has arrived at the email specified.

We have seen this failure mode before.

This is an intermittent failure.  FriendOfQuark1 just received a generated password, which he used to log in.

However, his subsequent attempt to secure a new password failed.

My attempt to secure a new password for FriendOfQuark1_2022 failed.

Please consider testing the password change feature with one of the Test ID's.

There may be something subtle going on, such as upper/lower case (case sensitivity).

The applicant for a new password has to enter the email address exactly as it is stored in the NewMars profile for that ID.

The code to deliver a new password does NOT report if the email entered in the request window does not match the email on file.

The purpose of this is to discourage hacking (of course).

Update at 9:10 local time ...

Here is a report from FluxBB that I don't recall seeing before:

Info
This account has already requested a password reset in the past hour. Please wait 24 minutes before requesting a new password again.

This message is encouraging, in that it confirms FluxBB accepted the request. However, nothing has arrived at the specified mail box.

(th)

#2256 2022-06-19 08:13:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

I gave the newly joined button a push on the account for Friend#2. I checked the change password and it is case as well as count of characters sensitive. Other than data base cure time I can not think of anything else that would do this.

#2257 2022-06-19 09:46:55

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2256

Thank you for documenting the important characteristics of passwords for User ID's in FluxBB!

Have you tested the email recovery feature?

That is the feature that appears to be failing.

You are welcome to use Friend#2 but it is in a hold pattern for 24 hours.

Please select another of the 10,000+ available TestID's we have, and assign an email address you would create for the test.

Then attempt to log in.

That is the procedure we are using for new members.

That procedure ** HAS ** to work!

When you attempt to log into the test ID you chose, do NOT perform this as an Administrator.

Instead, pretend you are a member, wanting to change the password.

Attempt to log in.

You will be offered a chance to recover your password by using the Forgotten Password button.

Select that.

You will be asked to provide the email address you JUST stored in the Test ID while you were logged in as Administrator.

The prompt with the new login password should arrive shortly.

It it does NOT, then the FluxBB log should show what happened.

Many years ago you were promoted to Administrator from Moderator.  It may be time for you to be promoted to WebMaster.

James Burk has been promoted to Executive Director.

He has a LOT on his plate these days, not least of which is planning for the 25th Mars Society event in October.

Would you be willing to accept the responsibilities of WebMaster?

Do you have the ** time ** needed to learn the new duties that go with the position?

You've already indicated the grass and trees may be growing more rapidly than you have time to keep up, on top of a full time job and family responsibilities.

I can't speak for kbd512 or RobertDyck, but there is at least a chance the team you've assembled might be able to assume some of the burden of learning how to do the job of WebMaster.

(th)

#2258 2022-06-19 16:40:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

I got wonder if its the old id name and email is some how linked via the admin ban page. Of course the only way to find out is to remove those none active ids from that table. That will leave only the renamed test id's to finish at a later date.

#2259 2022-06-19 17:22:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... it may be time to remind you of kbd512's demonstration of ability to clean up those pending ID's.

At the time, you were hesitant to approve a run of the program he developed.

He might still have it on his computer somewhere, if you were willing to let him proceed with the cleanup.

You'll have to go back into the archive to find the demo's he ran for you.

He showed you the script, and he showed what the runs look like.

I don't think the ID's we are using are suffering from any data in the bans table. We are working with TestID00002 and TestID00003.

I would prefer we concentrate on testing the password change feature, instead of looking for alternatives.

The password change feature HAS to work!  If it does NOT work, then we need to get help so it DOES work!

(th)

#2260 2022-06-19 21:01:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

Went looking to find the table of how many new members that have been able to register with no issues of post 451 in  Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topics

1) marc
2) Captain J Torriani
3) Noah
4) Clinician_Antilles
5) daGeck0

I have seen strange things with browsers and programs that work fine in one but not in another even at work..

kbd512 script I could not run with current computer. I think what was run is in this topic.

That puts the issue back with the computer and not newmars...

I had stop the reset of the unbanned at TestID11301 and had started looking through the user names that are valid to undo the ban that locked the accounts. There has been no complaints so will not expect any harm from them.

#2261 2022-06-20 09:25:30

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2260

Thank you for continuing to think about the email problem reported by FriendOfQuark1 and confirmed by tahanson43206.

Please ask Mr. Burk to send you the logs of the forum that show the failure as reported by FriendOfQuark1.

In a separate part of the logs Mr. Burk will find an attempt by NewMarsMember to change the password for FrendOfQuark1_2022

24 hours has passed, and there is still no response from FluxBB for the requested change.

You (as Senior Administrator) need to KNOW how to diagnose and fix this issue.

While we are waiting for your promotion to Webmaster, you can request the logs, so you can study them to learn how to identify and diagnose problems.

The email-send feature is a subfeature of FluxBB that has failed in the past and will fail again.

We (forum administrators) are TOTALLY dependent upon the email password change feature to bring in new members.

We have numerous initiatives "out in the Universe" that could bring in new members at any time.  We need to have the email password change feature working reliably.

(th)

#2262 2022-06-20 10:19:20

SpaceNut
Administrator

I have sent a message.

#2263 2022-06-20 10:57:21

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2262 ... thanks for helping!

Hopefully this will turn out to be something simple.

(th)

#2264 2022-06-20 11:01:14

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair initiative...

Treakbreaker reached 60600 although the Internet hit the little laptop with some large waves, I was close by to bail it out and it continued on to the end without further incident.

There were some interesting posts to work on today, in addition to the Smiley Faces.

There were 21 posts that needed attention.

Inspector will now check the work.

I was disappointed to find that the Auditor test run a couple of days ago was a washout. The browser and WBA got out of sync, so all the downloads failed.

i'll retry later today, after Inspector finishes.

Update at 16:02 local time: Inspector finished with a Green screen...

Completed Sequence for ID: 60600

Starting Number: 60301

Last Number of Run: 60600

Summary for Web Automation Report for 06-20-2022 at 15:49:00

Total time of Processing: 01:49:03

Good run!

The Auditor will now set out on a trial run from 1 to 10. 
(th)

#2265 2022-06-21 12:09:43

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiative ...

Today's Trailbreaker reached 60900 with a Green screen..,

Completed Sequence for ID: 60900

Starting Number: 60601

Last Number of Run: 60900

Summary for Web Automation Report for 06-21-2022 at 14:02:04
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:38
60 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 03:08:48

Skip analysis for 60 skips:
  Lines containing String One 117 <<== 60 less 50 >> 10 posts to visit
  Lines containing String Two 100 <<== 50 SpaceNut posts

A minor correction was applied to the Audit feature... it will be tested again later today, if plans hold.

update at 14:46

Ten edits went smoothly ... there was one interesting FluxBB reject, with multiple problems.

As often happens in these situations, I had to guess what the author was intending, so bold or italics may be different from what the author had in mind, but all the text is there so future readers can judge for themselves.

There several posts which failed to download at all, so I had to manually edit those.

Fortunately for me, ** most ** of the posts (50) were SpaceNut posts.

Inspector will no check my work.

There will be no ReScan today.  Tomorrow we'll cross over to 61000 if all goes well.

Update at 18:13

Completed Sequence for ID: 60900

Starting Number: 60601

Last Number of Run: 60900

Summary for Web Automation Report for 06-21-2022 at 18:10:52

Total time of Processing: 01:49:17

Good run

Update at 21:04 ....

I ran the new Audit feature against the live database, testing only post #1 again.

The results are encouraging, in that the output showed up at all.  However, the pointers used to restore formatting characters is/are off by one, so I'll look at ** that ** tomorrow.

Tomorrow's Trailbreaker will try for 61200.

The local Linux User Group met this evening, and they were kind enough to take on the problem of Smiley Faces.

After a lot of discussion and probing questions of how the software works (or doesn't) they left me with some homework to do.  The key concept I came away with is that the Smiley Faces (and European punctuation) take 16 bits, and they are not being transferred correctly from the program where editing is done to the browser edit window.

(th)

#2266 2022-06-21 19:11:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Response was swamped in new role. Got log to see if I can see its problem but even he did not know what might be going on.

#2267 2022-06-21 20:01:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2256

Thanks for the good news you received a copy of the system log....

It is not surprising that the new position is taking most time and energy! 

The two items to look for are:

FriendOfQuark1 asking for a new password and ...

FriendOfQuark1_2022 asking for a new password

While I don't know the details for FriendOfQuark1, I can report that the email used for FriendOfQuark1_2022 was newmarsmember@gmail.com.

No message arrived at that email address.  i waited 24 hours and tried again, and again there was no response.

Depending upon the time frame of the log, you may have the session that failed.

I have no idea what is in the system log, so don't know how large it may be.

If you need to know the exact time of the failure, both FriendOfQuark1 and I should be able to tell you within a few minutes.

I would start by just looking for anything that shows up for FriendOfQuark

Thanks again for taking this on.

(th)

#2268 2022-06-22 05:54:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiative ...

Last night's Linux Group meeting took a deep dive into Smiley Faces ... I'm never thought about them before.  i've just taken them for granted.  However, the Post Repair system is failing to deliver them intact, and I am forced to learn about them.  The Linux Group suggested I might have used the wrong system function to copy data from FluxBB to the clipboard.  That is a possibility I'm working on a test plan to investigate.

The most likely candidate to be causing the problem is the third party software I'm using for interprocess communication.

Smiley Faces and European punctuation are coded as variable length strings of ASCII characters.  As i say, I've never thought about them before, but it appears the current problem is forcing an intake of knowledge I'd have been perfectly happy to do without.

*** Another bit of knowledge from the Linux Group ... London (and must of Europe) use Daylight Savings Time. I had never thought about ** that ** before either, but FriendOfQuark1 (rightly) complained that I had given him the wrong start time for Zoom when I said it was London time. 

Today's Trailbreaker will try for 61200.

Completed Sequence for ID: 61200

Starting Number: 60901

Last Number of Run: 61200

Summary for Web Automation Report for 06-22-2022 at 11:39:14
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:37
41 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 03:06:03

Skip analysis to follow...
  Lines containing String One 83 <<==== 41 less 26 >> 15 posts to visit
  Lines containing String Two 52 - <<== 26 SpaceNut posts

Update at 17:11 local time ... edits are completed after numerous side trips for one thing and another.

Inspector will now check the work...

Update at 19:50 local time ... Inspector reported no potholes and no edits! Good run.

We crossed over to 61000 today, so we'll run ReScan over 60001 - 61000

Update next day:

Completed Sequence for ID: 61000

Number of ID's processed: 1000

Last Number of Run: 61000

Summary for Web Automation Report for 06-23-2022 at 07:29:20
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:24

Total time of Processing: 06:43:39

Good Run!

(th)

#2269 2022-06-22 07:04:35

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiatiative...

This post is intended to serve as a source of Extended Characters for testing.

SearchTerm:Test Extended Character format

The emoticons entered below were offered on Chrome in a Chromebook. The were rendered as question marks after submit.
Prior to submit, they looked correct in the browser edit window.

?????????????☺️?????????????
qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbmm!?
????????????????????????????️⛹️?
???????️??????☘️???????????️?
?????????????????️?????????
?????⛽?️?⚓???????️???????️????
????????️⛰️???️?️?️⛱️?️?️?️??
??☎️??????????️???
???????♟️???️????????️??️?️??
(th)

When viewed subsequently on a Linux workstation, only telephone, cloverleaf, anchor, tree and one smiley face show up.

Update at 11:50 ... when viewed on Windows XP using Chrome, no icons at all showed up.

Where the few icons were displayed on Linux, square boxes are shown on Xp.

These are obviously just observations at this point. It is too early to draw conclusions.

Update at 13:02 local time .... when viewed on a 64 bit Linux machine in Chromium, the icons are visible in color, except for the smiley face.

Visible are: runner at end of line 3
Cloverleaf in the middle of line 4
Gas pump and anchor in line 6
Tree and umbrella in line 7
Telephone in line 8
Chess piece ? pawn ? in line 9

Emoticons do not appear to be available in Chromium on Linux 64.

Update at 13:11 local time using Windows 7 64 bits and Edge

The icons entered earlier on Chrome on a Chromebook do NOT appear in color in this browser.

Right click: The options shown did not include icons

Update at 13:18 local time ... still on Windows 7 but using Chrome: The icons showing are the same as on Edge

Update at 13:25 local time ... back on Linux 64 running Firefox as the browser...

The Emoticons listed above are visible and in color.  However, right click did not provide the Emoticons option.

If anyone knows how to display emoticons in any browser, I'd appreciate your posting an update.

I have Windows 10 on a removable hard drive, but only use if for taxes at the start of the year.  Otherwise it is locked away.

(th)

#2270 2022-06-22 11:42:42

tahanson43206

Here is a display of the Emoticons as they are displayed in the browser on Linux 20.04 with FireFox:

00000160  0a 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f e2 98  |.?????????????..| <<-- smiley face is in this line and continues in next
00000170  ba ef b8 8f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  |....????????????|
00000180  3f 0a 71 77 65 72 74 79  75 69 6f 70 61 73 64 66  |?.qwertyuiopasdf|
00000190  67 68 6a 6b 6c 7a 78 63  76 62 6d 6d 21 3f 0a 3f  |ghjklzxcvbmm!?.?|
000001a0  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  |????????????????|
000001b0  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f ef b8 8f e2 9b  |???????????.....| <<== this may be the runner
000001c0  b9 ef b8 8f 3f 0a 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f ef b8 8f  |....?.???????...| <<== this may be the cloverleaf
000001d0  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f e2 98  98 ef b8 8f 3f 3f 3f 3f  |??????......????| <<== a gas pump is in there somewhere
000001e0  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f ef  b8 8f 3f 0a 3f 3f 3f 3f  |???????...?.????|
000001f0  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f ef b8 8f  |?????????????...|
00000200  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 0a 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f e2  |?????????.?????.|
00000210  9b bd 3f ef b8 8f 3f e2  9a 93 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  |..?...?...??????|
00000220  3f ef b8 8f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f ef b8 8f 3f 3f  |?...???????...??|
00000230  3f 3f 0a 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f ef b8 8f e2 9b  |??.????????.....|
00000240  b0 ef b8 8f 3f 3f 3f ef  b8 8f 3f ef b8 8f 3f ef  |....???...?...?.|
00000250  b8 8f e2 9b b1 ef b8 8f  3f ef b8 8f 3f ef b8 8f  |........?...?...|
00000260  3f ef b8 8f 3f 3f 0a 3f  3f e2 98 8e ef b8 8f 3f  |?...??.??......?|
00000270  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f ef b8 8f 3f 3f 3f 0a  |?????????...???.|
00000280  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f e2  99 9f ef b8 8f 3f 3f 3f  |???????......???|
00000290  ef b8 8f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f ef b8 8f 3f 3f  |...????????...??|
000002a0  ef b8 8f 3f ef b8 8f 3f  3f 0a 28 74 68 29 0a 0a  |...?...??.(th)..|

3f is the question mark
0a is a line feed

In studying the dump, I get the impression E2 may signal start of a variable length string
EF appears frequently as well...

(th)

#2271 2022-06-22 11:58:54

tahanson43206

Here is an analysis of the dump:

00000160  0a
3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f

e2 98 ba
ef b8 8f

3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f
0a
71 77 65 72 74 79  75 69 6f 70 61 73 64 66  |?.qwertyuiopasdf|
00000190  67 68 6a 6b 6c 7a 78 63  76 62 6d 6d 21 3f
0a
3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  |????????????????|
3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f

ef b8 8f
e2 9b b9
ef b8 8f
3f 0a
  3f 3f  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f
  ef b8 8f
000001d0  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f

e2 98  98
ef b8 8f

3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f

ef b8 8f
3f 0a 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f

ef b8 8f
(missing text here)

3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 0a
   3f 3f 3f 3f 3f

e2 9b bd
3f
ef b8 8f
3f
e2 9a 93
3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  |..?...?...??????|
00000220  3f
ef b8 8f
3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f
ef b8 8f
3f 3f  |?...???????...??|
00000230  3f 3f
0a 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f
ef b8 8f
e2 9b b0
ef b8 8f
3f 3f 3f
ef b8 8f
3f
ef b8 8f
3f
ef b8 8f
e2 9b b1
ef b8 8f 
3f
ef b8 8f
3f
ef b8 8f
3f
ef b8 8f
3f 3f
0a 3f  3f
e2 98 8e
ef b8 8f
3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f
ef b8 8f
3f 3f 3f
0a
  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f 3f
  e2 99 9f
  ef b8 8f
  3f 3f 3f  |???????......???|
  ef b8 8f
  3f 3f 3f 3f 3f  3f 3f 3f
  ef b8 8f
  3f 3f  |...????????...??|
000002a0 
ef b8 8f
3f
ef b8 8f
3f  3f
0a 28 74 68 29 0a 0a  |...?...??.(th)..|

Here is a web site that appears to show Emoticons and their adoption by various applications:

https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html

Here is a web site that appears to attempt to show both history and current status of emoticons and their relatives emoji.

https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/

(th)

#2272 2022-06-22 12:58:14

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Emoticon Investigation ...

The mystery continues....

The quote below came from Cindy ... it contains two Emoticons:

I can hardly type with all my fingers crossed like this! And as for walking - have you ever tried it with your toes crossed?!
                                              tongue   big_smile(disabled quote here)
Great job !!

The emoticons show up as (colon)p and (colon)D in Notepad ....

I observe that in the display in the edit window of Chrome, they show up as (colon)p and (colon)D

Now I will attempt submit ...

To my astonishment, what I see as (colon)p and (colon)D in the edit window and in Notepad renders as smiley faces after submit.

OK ... I've apparently stumbled upon something .... the expression "colon p" generates a smiley face

I'm going to try some experiments .... :a :b :c :d

No effect ... so I'll try the next set... :e :f :g :h :i :j :l :m :n tongue

OK ... we seem to be getting somewhere ... :q :r :s :t :u :v :w :x :y :z

OK ... nothing other than lower case p seems to generate a smiley

Now I'll try the upper case set... :A :B :C big_smile :E :F :G :H :I :J :K :L :M :N tongue

It appears that FluxBB doesn't care if the letter is upper or lower case...

Final series: :Q :R :S :T :U :V :W :X :Y :Z

it appears that lower case p, upper case p and upper case D are the only letters FluxBB recognizes as smiley faces.

But if that is the case, why would these be interfered with by the Post Repair software?

Perhaps they ** aren't ** the problem.  Perhaps the European punctuation is the real problem?

The fact the smiley faces don't show up except after submit may have led to confusion (for me at least)

(th)

#2273 2022-06-22 13:42:18

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

The degree symbol is x'B0' in Extended ASCII ... the high order bit is set on...

The Post Repair system fails to deliver that byte, and FluxBB (or someone) shows a question mark x'3F'

So the problem would appear NOT to be the smiley faces, but instead the Extended ASCII characters.

(th)

#2274 2022-06-22 14:34:14

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... the gents who offered suggestions about the Post Repair byte transfer problem inspired me to do something I should have done many months ago .... I ** should ** have made a test file consisting of ASCII and Extended ASCII characters, and passed it through the pipe between WBA and the browser, to see if everything arrived intact.

I would have discovered the problem then, and wouldn't have 30000 posts to manually repair.

I'll (belatedly) make a test file in the next couple of days, and report the results of a test.

(th)

#2275 2022-06-22 14:55:02

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair ...

Here is part of a post by DonPanic that has ** both ** smiley faces and Extended ASCII....

<snip>
pètent
<snip>

PROUT !

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Extended ASCII comes down from FluxBB and stores in memory just fine.

manually pasting from Notepad to the browser works fine.

The problem is somewhere in the pipe between WBA and the browser.

(th)

Board footer