New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2007-06-04 12:01:10

Spatula

Re: Iss Plant growth experiments - planning the future in 0g

There is a big challenge here, how to be keeping space food equipment small, light and easy to maintain during a two-year Mars trip and without costs going out of control

I think this is more of a reflection on our lack of an adequate launching mechanism. We need some gigantic railguns. Surely the instantaneous electrical cost of these things would be less than the gradual cost of electrolyzing water for liquid fuel engines.

Putting heavier things in space would open a lot of doors.

#27 2020-12-02 04:57:40

jfenciso
Website

SpaceNut, I think we need to update this like posting the links about the past and current research about crops planted in ISS.

I'm Jayson from the Philippines. Graduate of Master of Science in Botany at the University of the Philippines Los Baños, Laguna. I am specializing in Plant Physiology, and have a minor degree in Agronomy. My research interests are Phytoremediation, Plant-Microbe Interaction, Plant Nutrition, and Plant Stress Physiology.

#28 2020-12-02 20:11:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

This topic got trimmed by the great crash. Hopefully some of it will still be in the human folder Iss station topic

#29 2020-12-02 22:58:39

jfenciso
Website

SpaceNut wrote:

This topic got trimmed by the great crash. Hopefully some of it will still be in the human folder Iss station topic

Is it possible to recover and update this forum?

I'm Jayson from the Philippines. Graduate of Master of Science in Botany at the University of the Philippines Los Baños, Laguna. I am specializing in Plant Physiology, and have a minor degree in Agronomy. My research interests are Phytoremediation, Plant-Microbe Interaction, Plant Nutrition, and Plant Stress Physiology.

#30 2020-12-02 23:19:00

tahanson43206

For jfenciso re #29

The original posts were from 2007 or so ...

You could make a contribution here (if you have time) by updating the topic with current information.

I'm ** pretty ** sure I read a brief report on an attempt to grow lettuce or a similar leafy vegetable on the ISS.

(th)

#31 2020-12-02 23:28:40

jfenciso
Website

tahanson43206 wrote:

For jfenciso re #29

You could make a contribution here (if you have time) by updating the topic with current information.

I'm ** pretty ** sure I read a brief report on an attempt to grow lettuce or a similar leafy vegetable on the ISS.

(th)

I can't share this time, but I am willing to compile a paper about plant research in ISS and their related studies.

#32 2020-12-02 23:29:43

jfenciso
Website

tahanson43206 wrote:

For jfenciso re #29

(th)

Is The Mars Society have their own established research pipeline?

#33 2020-12-03 10:36:24

tahanson43206

For jfenciso re #32

This forum is one of many activities of the Mars Society.

The answer to your question about Mars Society research is yes.

Your best way to learn what is available is to watch the videos of the recent 2020 Mars Conference.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … z9NgdtxDAF

The Mars University video is early in the series.

You should be able to find information about the Mars Simulation activities that have been ongoing for a number of years.

In addition, there are joint ventures with other academic institutions.

(th)

The Mars University initiative would seem (to me at least) the best path forward for a college graduate interested in service to the Mars goal.

#34 2020-12-03 17:35:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

I will contact the web master to check there progress on the files to get information back for the many topics. Also when I am back on with a computer this topic needs repair as well from the software for the old to new form conversions.

#35 2021-10-28 17:35:16

Mars_B4_Moon

Growing Plants in Space
https://www.ars.usda.gov/oc/utm/growing … -in-space/

China launches second crewed mission to build space station
https://news.yahoo.com/china-launches-s … 55834.html

NASA is teaming up with SpaceX once more to send four astronauts to the International Space Statio
https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/NASA … y_999.html

#36 2021-11-28 06:55:58

Mars_B4_Moon

NASA has successfully grown and harvested green peppers on the ISS and made TACOS with them
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech … -them.html

‘A nice balanced diet for our future astronauts’; U of Guelph team look to grow fresh food in space
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/a-nice-bal … -1.5683182

Chinese Astronauts Arrive At Space Station For Longest Mission
https://www.ibtimes.com/chinese-astrona … on-3317512

China space goals sets up new frontier in the tech battle
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/30/china-s … rsary.html

NASA Astronauts Harvest First Chilli Pepper Crop Grown In Micro-gravity Aboard The ISS
https://www.republicworld.com/technolog … e-iss.html

#37 2021-11-28 09:23:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Some would argue for telling me when they can grow a cow but with all of the most recent vegetable meat substitutes we may not even need one.

#38 2023-01-23 08:09:08

jfenciso
Website

My answer on this thread.

YES!

The National Academy of Science, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM), organized a 2023-2032 Decadal Survey for Space Exploration, in collaboration with American Society for Gravitational and Space Research (ASGSR) and National Aeronautics Space and Space Administration (NASA).

Many scientists and researchers participated to share an idea as proposed research plans for the next decadal goal.

Bioregenerative Life Support System in Microgravity is one of the major topics tackled for meeting discussion. Stay tune for the release of this book about the Decadal Goal for Space Exploration.

Board footer