New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#101 2021-10-01 22:04:48

tahanson43206

Re: Business Opportunity

https://www.yahoo.com/news/protecting-h … 57305.html

California-based Firezat, which is currently the only company in the U.S. that sells this aluminum wrap to public and private entities at scale, has sold thousands of square feet of the material for the express purpose of structural protection against wildfires—including the piece lovingly wrapped around General Sherman. Firezat’s sales increased 30% each of the last two years as fires become increasingly prominent threats to large swathes of both public and private land, with higher temperature, higher wind speeds and longer fire seasons straining firefighting capabilities, says Firezat CEO and founder Daniel Hirning. Five years ago, about 95% of the company’s business was in sales to forest service and Bureau of Land Management customers to protect things like historic buildings; that has expanded to include private homeowners. Hirning says about “several thousand” homes would be able to deploy Firezat by now, based on cumulative sales. Now, other businesses in the space are beginning to see the potential, too. But the buy-in for aluminum wraps, which block 96% of radiant heat, is just in the nascent stages, suggests Hirning. “You think all this coverage and all this advertising exposure [would increase sales even more], but it kind of has the opposite effect,” he says. “There’s an apathy. I think people just get overwhelmed.”

This can definitely go into Business Opportunity, as well as Technology Updates and California Wildfires

(th)

#102 2021-10-01 22:25:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think this is what is being used to protect the sequoia trees

How the US can build EV charging infrastructure that works with the goal of reaching 500,000 new stations nationwide by 2030.

There are currently about 102,000 public charging outlets across some 42,000 charging stations nationwide, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.

of course less the home charging fires....

This comes on the heels to change

All the companies that are making or planning electric vehicles

look out for sticker shock

#103 2021-10-03 10:49:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Hundreds of electric car charging points risk being installed in 'wrong place' due to misleading data

Local authorities across the country are relying on Department for Transport data to determine how many of the vehicles are based in their area, and therefore the number of charging points that they need to install to match demand, often with government funding.

The "distortion" occurs because the relevant DfT data, which is cited on numerous council websites, simply sets out the location of vehicles' registered keepers, which are not necessarily the locations of the vehicles themselves.

Entire fleets of cars owned by leasing firms are usually registered at the companies' headquarters rather than at the addresses of those actually using the vehicles.

#104 2021-10-11 18:00:11

tahanson43206

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/finance … 32875.html

Aria Alamalhodaei
Mon, October 11, 2021, 12:28 PM
Varda Space Industries, a startup that wants to build in-space manufacturing facilities, will be sending its first spacecraft to orbit aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket in 2023.

The actual spacecraft -- the startup’s first to go to orbit -- will be made by SpaceX’s rival launch company, Rocket Lab, which will also make two subsequent space vehicles for Varda. The three vehicles will be outfitted with two Varda-made modules: a microgravity manufacturing module and a reentry capsule.

The aim is for each spacecraft to spend approximately three months in orbit, with the reentry module bringing back around 40-60 kilograms of manufactured materials.

(th)

#105 2021-10-14 07:49:10

tahanson43206

Hurricane Wind Generator LOX and LH2 production ....

Hurricanes are transitory delivery mechanisms for significant quantities of energy.

In watching the news for a number of years, I have NOT ONCE seen a report on anyone capturing even a tiny part of that energy.

There is most definitely a business opportunity for a group that can deploy hurricane energy capture systems to make LOX and LH2 for space flight, and for other purposes.

The human race has guaranteed there will be more hurricanes and typhoons, and they will be increasingly endowed with even more energy.

There are locations where hurricanes pass by with reliable predictability, and systems can be mounted on sea vessels to increase their ability to deploy for maximum effectiveness.

SearchTerm:Hurricane energy capture

(th)

#106 2021-10-21 12:11:03

tahanson43206

The announcement captured below is for Mars Candy Company.

I found it in my news feed today.  I followed it because the teaser did not make clear the company was involved.

Kristen Daihes - Vice President Of Global Supply Chain - Mars
https://www.linkedin.com › kristendaihes
I am a reliable and inspiring business leader who thrives in the fast-moving consumer goods industry in enterprises with global reach.

I decided to post this because it is a hint of job titles to come.  it won't be ** that ** many years from now that companies will have an executive responsible for trade with Mars (the planet).

(th)

#107 2021-10-21 18:24:58

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think that we will have quite a few sweet tooth's to take care of on the Mars Hacienda...

#108 2021-10-26 20:51:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

Upping the anti seems to be coming from other automobile players in GM will work with dealers to install 40,000 EV charging stations across North America as part of an ambitious plan to pour nearly $750 million into charging infrastructure that will help attract drivers to its electrified models.

GM will give each dealer up to 10 Ultium charging stations to deploy in their community. The automaker said it will also help dealers apply for incentives and other funding programs to install the chargers.

The new infrastructure will be called Ultium Chargers, so they'll have clear GM branding, but unlike Tesla’s Supercharging network, GM's 40,000 new Level 2 chargers will not be a proprietary network. Keros indicated that the automaker has no interest in taking an exclusive network path to boosting sales of electric vehicles.

The automaker will also be rolling out three Ultium Level 2 smart chargers, for both home and commercial uses, that were developed and manufactured in partnership with EV charging company CTEK.

Two of the units will be 11.5-kilowatt capacity, and the third will be a 19.2 kW unit best suited to deliver power to the forthcoming electric GMC Hummer or Cadillac Lyriq.

These chargers will be used in the Dealer Community Charging Program, but they’ll also be suitable for residential use cases, Keros said.

#109 2021-11-24 20:05:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

Now its Ford 'Superchargers' In Delaware Raise Design Controversy Issues

I thought flattery was a good thing?

AAR5CEa.img?w=768&h=432&m=6

FE4p2FRWQAcmxRD?format=jpg&name=small

EF8pN28WkAEfrfJ?format=jpg&name=small

#110 2021-12-12 17:53:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

#111 2021-12-23 20:53:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

The wait is over for staying in one's car while its charging as Audi Unveils the World’s First Luxury Lounge for EV Charging82a6ca840f5627bdda4a44a278b2b3b3

The station is equipped with six charging points, which are powered by 2.45 MWh of interim storage and an additional 200 kW of green energy, Those ports will be pretty powerful, too. Audi says they’ll each have 320 kW of charging power, meaning they can add 62 miles of driving range to the E-Tron GT in just five minutes and charge its battery from 5 to 80 percent in about 23 minutes.

Sure it looks ok

The company says each kilowatt should cost about 35 cents.

ouch talk about costs

#112 2022-04-14 10:20:24

tahanson43206

There would appear to be a business opportunity for an entrepreneur who can excavate a tornado shelter in solid rock below the sand in Texas, using nothing but solar power.  The kind of vertical drill that could perform that task would (appear to me at least to) be well suited for the comparable task on Mars.

As reported elsewhere, it appears that blasting is not an option, so a slow but effective electrical (or hydraulic) drilling system would appear to be worth a look.

(th)

#113 2022-04-14 15:02:44

GW Johnson
Website

I live in the blackland clay region of Texas.  That soil is quite different from the rest of the state.  There is almost no sand at all.  The clay is mostly Bentonite clay,  which people in other states use to line pond bottoms with.  Water percolates through it at vanishingly slow rates. 

Up here on the hill where my farm is,  the clay soil is only about 4 inches deep (you plow,  all you get is rocks).  Below that is about 8-10 inches of caliche limestone cobbles that you can pick apart,  if you work at it.  Below that,  the caliche limestone is more-or-less monolithic.  It usually defeats backhoes.  It is not all that hard/strong,  but it absorbs an enormous amount of impact and deformation energy.  If there are no fault cracks,  it take a big track hoe to dig in that,  and you are re-welding teeth onto the bucket all day,  every day. 

And THAT is why we generally have no basements around these parts.

But,  with these types of clays,  wet or dry is a very large volume change.  These are among the most expansive clay soils in the world.  The federal housing standards consider anything over a plasticity index of 15 to be "extremely expansive",  their worst categorization.  Almost nothing in McLennan county where I live has a plasticity index under 30.  Even the feds know nothing about such conditions.

I did inspect the foundation on one poor little house,  built on a weak slab,  on top of creek-bottom clay with a plasticity index of 70.  The high-low elevation variation along that slab was some 11 inches in only 60 feet.  There were cracks in the interior you could put your arm through.  It was breaking rafters in the attic.  Where the dew had dripped off the roof,  the soil about 6 inches wide was swelled up about 2 inches above grade,  and split open like a dropped watermelon.

I actually do know how to design adequate slab foundations for egregiously-extreme conditions like that.  But,  few-to-none want to pay for the extra concrete and steel.  It's a LOT of extra concrete and steel!  The two I designed that were built,  have never ever had a single crack inside. They ride the waves in the clay like a rigid-hulled boat,  instead of the limp air mattress that most slab foundations resemble.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#114 2022-04-14 20:11:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

To get anything sizable will require more than a large drill but closer to a small boring machine. I am wondering is a solar fibber laser would cut through if we concentrate the sun and aim it by machine to melt the rock away...

#115 2022-04-15 06:08:17

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #14

Your question about what might be accomplished for rock excavation seems worth investigating further.  We have kbd512 over in another topic, expressing skepticism that a laser cutter could work in the kind of difficult terrain described by GW Johnson recently.  If you find the question interesting, please find out what "real world" experience humans have cutting rock with a laser.

For GW Johnson .... is there a potential market for basements in your area, if a way can be found to excavate them without blasting?  I'm thinking of tornado shelters as the primary selling point, but since basements are ubiquitous in other parts of the US, i'm assuming they'd be welcome in Texas if they were practical.

The only way to make basements practical is to find a way of excavating them that makes sense in the difficult terrain you've described.

As you begin this thought process, I'd like to call your attention to the work of Calliban recently, in topics about nuclear propulsion and nuclear power in general.

Recently, a post reported on discovery of a chip (?)/device able to convert thermal energy to electric current at an efficiency of 40%.  The remaining 60% of thermal energy has to go somewhere, and on Earth, it might go into heating steam for a steam jet able to cut rock, as described by kbd512 in a recent post.

An excavation team might consist of a power subsystem, producing electricity and steam, a steam cutter designed to make wedge cuts in rock, an extractor able to secure wedges and pull them out of the terrain, and a transporter, able to accept the wedges and hold them for eventual transport away from the site.

Lessons learned in small scale atomic tool use (as described) would be directly applicable to a space propulsion system.

(th)

#116 2022-04-15 09:28:54

GW Johnson
Website

Tom:

I honestly don't know the size of any market.  Basements I doubt,  because of tradition.  Tradition is strong among residential developer construction firms.  But added storm shelters out in the back yards,  that might be a market.  One would have to do a real market survey for that. 

The usual blasting methods use 1-inch drilled shot holes,  loaded with dynamite (sticks fit in the 1-inch drilled hole).  That's a lot of dynamite,  and a big "boom" when you set it off. 

The oil field frackers are using basically water at super-high pressures.  Few outside that industry ever even think about such pressures,  much less have equipment capable of pressures like that.  It works by "statically" over-pressuring the adjacent rock,  forming a bunch of cracks about the well.  In fracking,  these new cracks are propped-open with sand grains slurried into the frack water,  thus allowing oil and gas to seep out of the cracked rock.  The area of the cracks is far larger than the lateral area of the bore hole,  which is why there is significant recovery.  But is is usually under 5% of what is down there in the rock pores.

General Billy Mitchell got himself court-martialed in the late 1920's for successfully sinking the ex-German battleship Ostfriesland with bombs dropped from 1920-vintage biplane bombers.  That in itself is a real story.  He made it work by dropping the bombs alongside the ship,  not onto it.  The water hammer effect of the explosions,  close-by in the water,  caved-in gaping holes in the ship's hull,  revealed when she rolled over as she sank. 

I wonder if a similar transient water-hammer effect could be utilized for rock excavation.  Do the 1-inch drill hole,  fill it with water,  use only a stick or two of dynamite near the opening,  submerged in that water,  and plug the hole at the outlet for confinement.  Perhaps the shock wave zipping down the water column will fracture the rock adjacent,  similar to fracking,  just on the brief transient.  It's lot less explosives to use,  and a much smaller "boom" when you set it off.  And likely a less-extensive fracture zone about the drill hole.  But,  who knows?

Will it really work?  I haven't a clue!  Someone is going to have to try it out.  And tailor it to the various rock types with real experience,  if it works.  Sounds like good R&D work for somebody like the DOE or Interior Dept. to do.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2022-04-15 09:30:24)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#117 2022-05-03 07:47:53

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re #116

Thanks again for your evaluation of the potential business opportunity for a group that would offer excavation services in Texas (or other locations where excavation is difficult, and ground conditions are challenging).

Today I am planning to provide an initial impression of a potential global market for delivery of fresh water using solar powered drones.

The model for how to deliver fresh water over great distances, using nothing but solar power, is provided by Ma Nature!  She desalinates ocean water by the millions of tons per year, lifts each individual water molecule up into a space crowded already with oxygen and nitrogen molecules, and then delivers the entire mass wherever she feels like sending it, totally without regard to what the humans on the surface below might prefer.

There is a song about this phenomenon.

Per Google:

NUMBER:
AUTHOR:
Mark Twain (1835–1910)
QUOTATION:
Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.
1982. Mark Twain (1835-1910). Respectfully Quoted - Bartleby.com
www.bartleby.com › ...

Another quote per Google:

“Everybody talks about the... - The North Star Monthly | Facebook
hi-in.facebook.com › northstarmonthly › posts › ever...
“Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.” That was a statement by Charles Dudley Warner, an associate of Mark Twain.
Answer Me this: Miscellaneous Series .... no. 1-.
books.google.com › books
... Everyone talks about the weather , but nobody does any ~ thing about it . ... MUSIC : " IT AIN'T GONNA RAIN NO MORE " ) JACK : Now we're ready .
Catalog of Copyright Entries: Musical compositions
books.google.com › books
Every love song is a memory to someone . ... 4114 ( 142 , 143 ) , 22283 ( 190 ) Everybody talks about the weather , but nobody does a thing about it .

13509 is the index entry in a book cited by Google Books ...

The purpose of this post (within the Business Opportunity topic) is to open the floor for those who might consider building a business on Earth in 2022 and beyond, by emulating Ma Nature, but doing a better job.

Solar powered drones are now in existence.
Automated drones are now in existence.
Supervised automated drones are now in existence.
Flocks of coordinated drones are now in existence, using software modeled after the behavior of flocks of birds.

Meanwhile, the need for fresh water is increasing on Earth for a variety of reasons.

We have a model for the price of water, cited in this forum recently, in the Phoenix topic... Walmart offers fresh potable water for $830 per ton.

No doubt there are more expensive providers, but $830 per ton is a good number to consider for evaluating business opportunity.

Fresh water is delivered by Ma Nature to places that have more than enough.  In the past (and not too recent past as well) humans have built aqueducts to move fresh potable water from where it is to where it is needed.  Historical examples include the Nile River valley, and the Roman Aqueducts.

However, in the United States, in recent times, humans have built aqueducts to bring fresh water from Northern California to the South.

The business opportunity I am proposing is to emulate Ma Nature, by scooping up fresh water from locations where it is abundant and in surplus, and using solar power to deliver it to where it is needed, at whatever price the market will bear.

At present (in 2022) Walmart uses hydrocarbon powered trucks to move pallets of packaged water from production sites to stores around the US, and possibly elsewhere.

In the scenario I am imagining, a supplier would contract for delivery of some quantity of fresh water to a customer located on the surface of the planet, and would then contract with a supplier at a location where water is in surplus.  The water would be transported from A to B using solar powered drones, controlled by satellite communications.  The delivery of an individual load of water would depend upon wind currents the drone can harness (like an albatross) and upon the abundance of solar power, as well as other factors, but in the end, the vast majority of drones would reach their destinations.

Drones should last for many years with minimal inspection and maintenance when needed.

Traffic control of millions of drones will be a challenge, but since humans have already demonstrated the ability to manage global flights by transport as well as military vehicles, this would be an incremental step upward in complexity, rather than a major change.

(th)

#118 2022-05-11 09:56:33

tahanson43206

Every so often, a collaboration of NewMars members results in something worth considering for business development.

In this case, we have collaboration (via Zoom) with North Houston chapter of the National Space Society.

In a nutshell, thanks to a suggestion by Calliban, following on discussion between kbd512 and FriendOfQuark1, I am seeing an opportunity as follows:

In Texas (where all the action is at the moment)...

1) Use solar power to make liquid oxygen for fossil fuel power plants
2) Feed liquid oxygen into fossil fuel plan to liquefy CO2 leaving the combustion process
3) Liquefy CO2 and deliver it to diesel fuel manufacturing plant
4) Use solar power to make diesel fuel from CO2 and Hydrogen from sea water

The basis for this suggestion is a post by Calliban, as noted here:

tahanson43206 wrote:

For Calliban Re #495

Every so often, you publish an idea that is similar to the 'last piece" in a complex puzzle... You drop it out for consideration, your readers twirl it a bit, and ** presto! ** it pops into place!

That happened (to me for sure) with post #495

I hope it happened (will happen) to other readers in coming days....

The idea/suggestion you published was to pre-cool the oxidizer to be fed into fossil fuel power plants, so that the CO2 coming out of the plant could be collected and liquefied to be fed into a solar powered diesel manufacturing plant, where it would be combined with Hydrogen to make long chains in great quantity.

Now, it is well known that solar power can compress air, and the energy released by the compression process can be used or disposed of as appropriate.

My question of you is ... is there a difference between compressing air ahead of a fossil fuel plant intake, to make liquid air, and doing the same but discarding the nitrogen and delivering liquid oxygen?  Clearly it would be advantageous to eliminate the Nitrogen from the oxidizer mixture, because it would have to be removed later when the CO2 is to be fed into a diesel manufacturing plant.

It would seem (to me at first glance) that solar power can be used before and after the operation of a fossil fuel plant, to allow the fossil fuel plant to continue operating for as long as necessary, while at the same time:

1) Removing CO2 that would otherwise go into the atmosphere and
2) Setting up conditions favorable for making diesel

If this idea/suggestion is practical, then (all of a sudden) coal could be accepted as a fossil fuel once again, because the poisons would all be captured.

The fossil fuel lovers (of whom we have a great number) would be happy, and the rest of the population would be less unhappy.

In particular, the need for coal miners would increase, and politicians who depend upon the favor of their constituents would be able to tout their policies.

If this happens, I would like to see coal mining changed from humans on site to remote controlled systems (teleoperation) in the depths of the mines.

(th)

#119 2022-05-11 10:12:50

tahanson43206

After posting the opening for a business concept based upon capturing CO2 at the output of a fossil fuel plant, I realized that just feeding the captured CO2 into a diesel manufacturing plant does not (by itself) reduce the delivery of CO2 to the atmosphere.  It just postpones the moment when the CO2 ends up in the atmosphere. The **main** benefit of this proposal would be to reduce pollution from coal fired power plants.

That might be a result worth pursuing on it's own.

The large goal of reducing addition of CO2 to the atmosphere will require elimination of ground-sourced fossil fuels.

Large volume capture of CO2 from the atmosphere is still needed, both to counter balance new inputs from the ground, **and** to reduce CO2 already delivered to the atmosphere.

Planting trees might be a partial solution, especially if the trees are long lived and large.

However, planting trees is the opposite of what is happening in Brazil.

I understand that trees contribute to the supply of oxygen we humans "enjoy" in our daily lives.

I also understand that a vast quantity of oxygen comes from sea plants (?algae?).

As we go about our daily lives, we do not (as far as I know) pay a lot of attention to where our oxygen is coming from.

Update later ... Nitrogen is a component of fertilizer

A plant to separate oxygen from nitrogen could deliver nitrogen to a fertilizer plant.

Per Google:

How we make our fertilizer | Yara International
www.yara.com › crop-nutrition › why-fertilizer › production-of-fertillizer
In a modern plant, nitrogen fertilizer is produced from natural gas. In several transformation steps, natural gas, essentially methane, is upgraded by ...
Duration: 7:08
Posted: Mar 23, 2018

Also per Google:

Composition: nitrogen (N) - 27 % (ammonia N (N-NH4) - 13.5 %, nitrate N (N-NO3) - 13.5 %), calcium oxide (CaO) - 6 %.
Nitrogen fertilizers - Achema
www.achema.lt › nitrogen-fertilizers
About Featured Snippets

(th)

#120 2022-05-11 11:03:09

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

CO2 concentration in air (1atm, 450ppm) is 810.004 mg/m^3.

PPM to MG/M^3 Converter

CO2 concentration in sea water (near-surface variety) is 90mg/kg.

SeaFriends.org - Dissolved gases in seawater

Sea water is 1,023.6kg/m^3.

1,023.6 * 90 = 92,124mg/m^3.

92,124mg / 810.004 = 113.7 TIMES more CO2 in a cubic meter of sea water than in a cubic meter of sea level atmosphere.

If we also include the dissolved carbonates, then there's a lot more CO2 than that.  There's also Carbonic Acid in sea water.

#121 2022-05-11 11:31:04

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re #120

SearchTerm:CO2 in atmosphere vs sea water
SearchTerm:CO2 in sea water vs atmosphere of Earth

Thanks for these important and valuable additions to the topic

While collecting CO2 from fossil fuel power plants is the main source of CO2 under consideration here, the fact that this process does not in itself remove  CO2 from the accumulation from fossil fuels means the larger problem has not been addressed.

However, if, as your post #120 points out, CO2 is removed from the sea water imported to supply Hydrogen for manufacture of long-chain hydrocarbons, then at least no ** new ** CO2 is added.

The main advantage of capturing CO2 at the exhaust from coal fired power plants would appear to be elimination of the flow of non-CO2 pollutants into the atmosphere.

(th)

#122 2022-07-17 21:04:28

tahanson43206

In the Phoenix topic, devoted to understanding the impact of climate change on a large American city, SpaceNut recently tossed an idea into the flow.

This post is offered in hopes there might be some interest in considering an Uber Water service.

Uber has set up www.ubereats.com

It ** could ** set up www.uberwater.com

I just asked Google if Uber has any subsidiaries, and the list went off the page ...

Uber Eats
Careem
Postmates
Drizly
Car Next Door
Ottomotto
Mighty Ai, inc.
Uber India Systems Private Limited
Social Bicycles, inc.
Uber Freight LLC
Portier LLC
Rasier LLC
Cornership, Inc.
deCarta, Inc.
Xchange Leasing LLC
Geometric Intelligence Inc.
Uber Germany Gmbh
Post Intelligence Inc.
Uber International C.V.
Rasier-CA LLC
HKTaxi App Limited
Complex Polygon, Inc.
Uber India Technology
Uber Works, Inc.
NaviTrans Software
2g Transit Solutions, Inc.
Jump
Uber Sao Paulo
Routematch Holdings, Inc
orderTalk, Inc.
Tupelo Parent, Inc.
Autocab International Limited

That is the complete list as of 23:00 local time on 2022/07/18.

Here is the summary for the lead company:

Uber Technologies Inc
Transport company
Uber Technologies, Inc. is an American mobility as a service provider, allowing users to book a car and driver to transport them in a way similar to a taxi. It is based in San Francisco with operations in approximately 72 countries and 10,500... Wikipedia
Founded: March 2009, San Francisco, CA
CEO: Dara Khosrowshahi (Aug 30, 2017–)
Headquarters: San Francisco, CA
Founders: Travis Kalanick and Garrett Camp

Other Google snippets ...

Uber - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Uber
Uber ; Increase US$38.77 billion (2021) · Decrease US$12.27 billion (2021) · 29,300 (2021) · Car Next Door · Careem; Cornershop; Drizly · Postmates · Uber Eats · www ...
Timeline of Uber · Uber Eats · Uber (disambiguation) · Controversies involving Uber
Subsidiaries: Car Next Door; Careem; Cornershop; Drizly; Postmates; Uber Eats
Number of employees: 29,300 (2021)
Net income: −US$0.50 billion (2021)
Services: Vehicle for hire; Food delivery; Package delivery; Courier; Freight transport
Uber Apps, Products, and Offerings
www.uber.com › about › uber-offerings
Uber apps, products, and other offerings · Ride options · Uber Eats · Earning with Uber · Moving cities forward · Helping businesses move ahead · Same-day delivery.
How Uber Makes Money: Ride-Hailing, Delivery, Freight
www.investopedia.com › News › Company News
Uber also competes with companies offering delivery services, including DoorDash Inc. (DASH) and Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN). Its freight business competes with ...
The Story of Uber - Investopedia
www.investopedia.com › Business › Company Profiles
Since then, Uber has worked on becoming profitable and has completed some high-profile acquisitions of companies including JUMP, Postmates, and Drizly, ...
Uber Company Profile - Office Locations, Competitors, Revenue ...
craft.co › uber
Uber Acquisitions / Subsidiaries ; Tupelo Parent, Inc. November 30, 2021 ; The Drizly Group, Inc. October 31, 2021 ; Transplace, July 22, 2021, $2.25 b ; Drizly ...
Employees (est.) (Dec 2021): 29,300
Revenue (FY, 2021): $17.5 B
Share Price (Jul 2022): $21.2
Job Openings: 1,162
List of Uber Subsidiaries Companies and Their Services - Uber Guide
www.uberguide.net › Uber-Guide
1) Jump Bikes: Jump Bikes. Earlier it was known as social bicycles. · 2) Uber Air: Uber Air · 3) Uber Eats: Uber Eats · 4) Ando: ando · 5) Geometric Intelligence:.
S-1 - SEC.gov
www.sec.gov › Archives › edgar › data
Core Platform consists primarily of Ridesharing and Uber Eats. ... all of the liabilities of Careem Inc. and its subsidiaries (collectively, “Careem”).
Let's Know About Uber's Subsidiary Companies - Trioangle
www.trioangle.com › blog › lets-know-about-ubers-subsidiary-companies
Jun 26, 2018 · Let's Know About Uber's Subsidiary Companies · UberEats: UberEats is one of the best online food ordering system and app, where consumers, who ...

(th)

#123 2022-07-17 21:12:27

tahanson43206

Following up on the question of Uber as a possible anchor for a water fetch and deliver service for Phoenix, the question of profitability came to mind ...

It appears that profitability is still pending ...

Per Google:

Uber has a gross profit margin of 35.7%, which changed some -7.3% from three years ago, indicating that the business is still struggling with the cost structure. These results may further shift in the future, if gas prices and other inflation impacted inputs keep rising. The company's net profit margin is -2.8%.
Mar 17, 2022
Uber's (NYSE:UBER) Profitability Problem - Why the Company Finds ...
www.yahoo.com › video › ubers-nyse-uber-profitability-problem-084503...
About Featured Snippets

A water venture might work best using the Franchise model .... Small investors secure rights to a way-of-doing-business, and make the investments needed to set up a local operation, including payments to the Franchise Home Office for rights and material inputs.

Franchise is an American invention, most associated with the fast food industry, but now extending far beyond that arena.

Per Google:

Modern Day Franchising  Commercial franchising in the United States began in the Colonies, in Philadelphia, when on Sept. 13, 1731, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Whitmarsh entered into an agreement “for the carrying on of the Business of Printing in Charlestown in South Carolina.”
The History of Modern Franchising
www.franchise.org › FranBlog
About Featured Snippets

I had no idea franchising went back that far.  I was ** not ** surprised that Benjamin Franklin would have been the inventor.

(th)

#124 2022-07-18 19:29:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

With all of the battery powered vehicles and manufacturing stopping for some of them it might be a chance to do battery reconditioning or repair since many have stopped new battery construction.

Florida family drives into electric car problem: a replacement battery costs more than vehicle itself

$11,000 on a used Ford Focus Electric car, which is a 2014 model and had about 60,000 miles

ouch should have been a warranty, but we know how that goes.

38 models not all of the in recent years
https://evadoption.com/ev-models/discon … icles-evs/

https://www.greentecauto.com/product-ca … -batteries

This one removes them from junked vehicles and does a battery of tests on them before listing them.

https://www.carid.com/dorman/remanufact … 2a69a801b1

#125 2022-10-15 10:53:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut (primarily) ....

Just FYI ... https://www.facebook.com/business/marke … -a-partner

This is the connection for application to become a business partner with Meta.

I am (cautiously) discussing the possibility of creating a new line of business products with a gent who works for a small part of a very large retail chain.  The large chain already has business relationships with major tool suppliers, and carries many if not most of them in stores and online.

The products I have in mind have become old news on NewMars forum, but they would represent a major step forward (and a major investment) for a consortium that might want to develop, market and distribute them.

I am interested in Meta because of the Virtual Reality aspect of their business...

While all that I've been able to discover so far seems to indicate Meta is only thinking about entertainment, they ** may ** have a few people working on remote working systems.

The line I'm thinking about has been discussed at some length here in the forum.

I'd like to see a variety of lawn and property maintenance machines able to operate with battery power, day and night, and under remote control from an operator in the comfort of a place of business or a home office, or even just the living room.

Potential customers would (presumably) include a major segment of the home owner community, and many cities and perhaps a few smaller communities.

(th)

Board footer