New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1401 2021-07-27 06:09:24

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery ...

It appears your latest batch of Bans runs from GabrielaVi through Jbest865

I'll set the Verify to work between those two usernames.

(th)

#1402 2021-07-28 07:42:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery

Completed Sequence for ID: 12900

Total Command Lines found: 112
Total input Lines in script: 341
  Total input Lines in data: 4454

Number of ID's processed: 100

Starting Number: 12801

Last Number of Run: 12900

Summary for Web Automation Report for 07-28-2021 at 09:29:56
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:01:30
8 Date Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 02:32:09

Total time Program was Active: 10:31:00

I'll start a Verify run for the next group of 100 shortly.

Update at 12:28

Working on Mouse Trainer ....

This is definitely "Inside Baseball" ... I don't expect anyone to read it or care about it.

It's for the record ... SearchTerm:Hide a form

The current design of Mouse Trainer depends upon the ability to display (show) a form or hide it ...

I had to write a simple study program to understand what's going on ....

It turns out that the function to hide a form is simply changing the "visible" property to false.

That action does not change the display properties of the form

Thus, an active form can have WindowState of "normal", "minimized" or "maximized", and it can be "Visible" or "Not Visible"

While the default mode for the Reference Frame Form (which allows mouse position to be measured) is Maximized, I'm planning to allow for "Normal", for those operators who have only one monitor and still want to perform some web browser automation.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-28 10:34:27)

#1403 2021-07-28 20:27:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

Tonight's completed homework assignment has been to unban 9601 through to 9700 and the get some sleep.

Have a work project to convert from several paper forms to creating these electronically as the only data on these forms after weathering effects is the control number and that has no value without the information that it once had. So by creating a data base from the same inputting of information to produce a printed form rather than a written one; we can then pull back the data via the control number that would produce the information that we need to be able to take care of the item the form is on.

#1404 2021-07-28 20:54:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re 1403...

Congratulations on finished the group through 9700! 

Little glimpses of life at the company/organization where you've been helping with spreadsheets and other data systems give me the impression this may be an organization that goes back to the founding of the Nation.  If that impression is correct, it is no wonder the procedures involve paper forms that can weather. That technology was reliable 200+ years ago and there's been little reason to change it.

You used the term "database" but I'm wondering if this is another spreadsheet?

A database is quite a different structure from a spreadsheet.

(th)

#1405 2021-07-29 07:30:30

tahanson43206

Your work with the finishing process brings the ID's in the Display Case up to 9700.

WBA finished a run to 13,000 last night.  I went to FluxBB.org to report the milestone and found it offline again.

FYI ... the first pass through the alphabet is finished ... we are now back in the "I" section.

The Username last upgraded last night was: ipexawones

We have 19,633 accounts in the system, so 6,633 remain for review.   I expect we'll end up with 633 ID's of "real" people (or close to that number)

There is a set of ID's with one post that were banned but not upgraded because it requires your personal attention to confirm they were spammers.

We've made (I think) remarkable progress over the past months, but we'll be at this for a bit longer.

I'll start a verify run for tonight's upgrade to 13,100 shortly. This verifies the usernames collected are still in the User's table.

The names are from a pool of users with zero posts.  That pool included members who had not been banned at the time.

Following the verify run, I'll run a script that confirms the Usernames are in the Bans table.

This is necessary because we are starting over at the low end of the alphabet, and I want the program to stop when if finds the last username you've had a chance to ban.

Update at 11;29 local time

The verification procedures have shown they are worth doing ...

One username dropped out during the Verify users table step.
Now one more dropped out during the verify Bans step.

That one in Bans would certainly be someone you decided to keep.

The names going into tonight's run are all zero posts, still in users, and in Bans table.

I am now turning back to Mouse Trainer to iron out some pesky flow problems.

I now think there is a good chance the AACKeys program is reading the operating system video properties in an attempt to calculate the distance to go in the virtual coordinate system.

I have seen 2.1 show up as a ratio between physical and virtual systems consistently at the start of a run.

Eventually the system accepts 2.6+ as the correct ratio.

Screen 1 on this system is set to 1024x768 and Screen 2 is the same.

There is probably a screen density setting that explains the 2.1 ratios.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-29 09:38:19)

#1406 2021-07-29 19:17:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

We are continually adding new topics and we have 33 pages of 50 per that have never had any responses to the initial post.
It appears that the last topic identifier was 9984 with the forums counter indicating Total number of topics: 7,678 which means the great crash lost 2306 which may be retrievable at some point.
We also have a post counter difference as this post is 183,007 with the forum Total number of posts: 178,966 which means we lost 4,041 accross the forums topics....

edit
completed unban of 9701 through 9800 this evening

Rain has been coming down quite heavy for a couple of hours now with the water accross the street now passing onto the road, hopefully it will let up soon so as to keep the water from coming down into my homes cellar...

#1407 2021-07-29 19:55:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1406

Thanks for the details about counts in various categories!

One possibility that might account for a few of the 'missing' posts is that they can be deleted, as (for example) when they are moved from one topic to another. i believe the process creates a new post number, and deleted the old one, leaving it vacant.

The system only adds to the index. (as far as i know).

The Internet must be choppy this evening ... WBA started but only completed 19 before it halted.
More heavy seas, apparently ... this time the halt was at 66 >> restarted

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-30 05:38:31)

#1408 2021-07-30 20:02:25

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery...

In this new phase, in which WBA works with usernames you have individually examined and moved into the Bans table, or not as you decide, I am applying two validation procedures before performing update.

Given a list of usernames that have zero posts, the first step is to insure 100 names are still in the Users table.

The second step is to insure that the names that came out of step 1 are in the Bans table.

The output of step 2 is fed into the Update step.

However, the update step ** still ** performs a check to be sure the username still has zero posts.

The reason for this is that since the usernames were collected some time ago, a user might have posted something.

If that happens the username will be left in place for your review at some future time.

Tonight's run will start shortly.

We are heading for 13200.  last night's Internet conditions were choppy.  It will be interesting to see how things go on a Friday night, when I would expect usage to be up.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-30 20:04:13)

#1409 2021-07-31 08:56:41

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Recovery ...

WBA reached 13200 last night after a couple of hiccups.

Verify runs for the next push to 13300 were completed. All 100 usernames are still in the Users table and also in the Bans table.

(th)

#1410 2021-07-31 10:46:40

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Internet service via radio

Starry.com appears to be an internet service that offers wireless internet service, and avoids the cost of cable or telephone lines.

I stumbled across it while investigating Internet options in my area.

It may not be available in your location, because it sounds from your comments as though you and your family live a distance from major cities. 

Never-the-less, it is easy to check to see if the service is available in your area.

The introductory price of $25 per month for 200 Mbps is stunning, if it's for real.

There does appear to be some money behind the venture, because the web site has lots of bells and whistles.

For all I know, that may be all it has, but at least it's worth investigating.

(th)

#1411 2021-07-31 12:44:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

The cost for watching just TV is silly stupid in price as they tend to be regional companies and they do not share the poles which the wiring is connected from. The add internet onto that and you will be approaching for a bundle $200 a month.

cleared 9801 to 9900 from the banned list and they are now ready for use.

#1412 2021-07-31 13:55:42

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1411

Congratulations on finishing the set through 9700. !!!

FYI ... Starry.com does not use poles ... it is a wireless service ... that is why you probably don't have it available if you live well away from a city.

They are (apparently) trying to deal with the last mile problem by using special purpose frequencies.  This is not a wi-fi service ... The router you get from them is a receiver at their proprietary frequency, combined with encryption, so they can secure their service from theft.

You may be able to access the service at your place of employment, if it is a good sized city, which could be the case in New Hampshire.

They want a credit card to enroll as a first time customer, so I'm going to pick up a pre-paid card today to use for that. At this point I don't trust them with my workaday credit card.

(th)

#1413 2021-07-31 18:52:37

tahanson43206

From time to time members of this forum debate the economy on Earth.

Inflation is a serious problem for folks on fixed incomes.

A force that works counter to inflation is the combination of technical advance and competition.

I just experienced a compelling example of that counter force at work, and I'd like to take a moment to describe it.

SearchTerm:inflation countered by market forces (innovation and competition)

For a number of years, I subscribed to a cell phone service that was needed for my work at the time, which involved on call duty.  After that rigorous phase of employment came to a merciful end, I kept the pager and cell phone for less stressful consulting.  The cost of the cell phone was (about) $30 throughout that period and right up until a few months ago, so I would presume that the provider was dealing with inflation by holding costs down on their end, so the service could be provided at a steady $30 per month.

A few months ago, I allowed myself to be persuaded (by relatives and acquaintances)  to try a fancy smart phone, which cost $60 per month, with lots of bells and whistles and (relatively) unlimited data flows.

After gaining some experience with the smart phone, I realized I do not need all those bells and whistles, so I asked my provider to return me to a flip phone.  It turns out the primitive service I'd been using was so obsolete the company no longer offers it.  Instead, for that very same $30 per month, they offered a modern digital flip phone.

I am astonished at the capabilities of this device.  It is superior to the ancient flip phone in just about every way.

The point I'd like to make is that while inflation has continued throughout this entire period (going back to before 2000) the service provided has steadily improved by leaps and bounds.

Those who lament the effects of inflation are certainly right to do so, but I offer this as an example of a counter force that I assume must be at work for a wide population, since I am just one of many customers of this provider, and there are many providers.

(th)

#1414 2021-07-31 19:00:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

My ordinary cell phone is a brick for calling and text and that is all for basic emergency calling. It cost a whole $10 to purchase and was on the cdma network. It was upgraded after having it for 10 years to the next $10 cellphone riding on a 2g network. I use 400 minutes of time for a 90 day period and pay just $40 each time I need to refill it. Thats all I have ever needed.

#1415 2021-07-31 19:04:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1414 ...

The lesson that I learned this past few days is that my ancient cell phone was being carried along as a favor by the provider, even though they had developed and were offering a far superior device at the same price.

The lesson I learned may not apply to anyone else, but for sure, a provider does not have time to go through all it's accounts to find ones that could be given better service if they asked.  The provider was content to leave things as they were.

It was only when I informed them I wanted to return to flip phone that they informed me the current product was light years more advanced.

Again, my experience may not apply to anyone else.

(th)

#1416 2021-08-01 07:29:58

tahanson43206

The Internet was smooth as glass last night! WBA completed all 100 usernames without a shimmy or a shake.

Completed Sequence for ID: 13300

Total Command Lines found: 112
Total input Lines in script: 341
  Total input Lines in data: 4053

Number of ID's processed: 100

Starting Number: 13201

Last Number of Run: 13300

Summary for Web Automation Report for 08-01-2021 at 00:52:55
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:01:29
17 Date Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 02:29:34

Total time Program was Active: 02:30:57

I'll start Verify runs for the next batch shortly.

3952 usernames remain in the current pool of ID's with zero posts

It seems likely (to me at least) that we will reach 17,000 recovered spammer created ID's.

If we can keep up the present pace, we might reach that goal in 37 days (mid-September)

Since you are working at both ends of the process, I hope you can find the time and energy.

If you need to take a break, I'll be ready for that possibility.

Update at 14:02 local time ...

For SpaceNut ... we only have 83 user names that fit the criteria for today's run.

Rather than proceed, i'll wait until you have time to add a few more bans to the table.

here is where you left off: Jazestwime

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-08-01 12:03:18)

#1417 2021-08-01 17:57:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re spammers...

While we wait for you to find time to add more spammers to the Bans table, I thought you might be interested in this news from Dr. Dartnell's site...