New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#826 2021-05-04 13:07:35

Calliban

Re: 2019 NCOV a.k.a. Wuhan's Diseases

My wife had her first shot of the Astrozenica vaccine on 27th March.  Within 5 days she developed tinnitus.  A few days after that, she suffered dizziness, vertigo, and nausea.  The symptoms have not abated and she now needs an MRI scan to check for permanent brain / nerve damage.  She feels permanently intoxicated.  Tinnitus and vertigo are known side effects of the vaccine.  We both had coronavirus in March last year.  It made us both ill, but we both got over it within 2 weeks.  The vaccine may have caused her permanent damage.

I am more than a little apprehensive about taking the vaccine after her experience.  Whilst both the vaccine and the virus present their own risk, I am not satisfied that viral risk avoided by taking the vaccine justify the risks that the vaccine imposes.  Having both had the coronavirus, we both have T-cell immunity.

Last edited by Calliban (2021-05-04 13:09:56)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#827 2021-05-04 13:35:22

Terraformer
Website

GW,

Don't knock twitter. Twitter anons were preparing for a pandemic last January, when the 'experts' were insisting there was no problem. It's all about the cone of uncertainty.

Calliban,

I wonder if your wife had a strong immune response because she was already immune? Because of how the AZ vaccine works, it wouldn't necessarily have the same result as a reinfection. Your body won't clear the vaccine in the same way it clears an infection...

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#828 2021-05-04 13:56:15

louis

No one aged 40 or below is at any risk from Covid if they are in they are neither obese nor with co-morbidities, so there is no reason for them to be advised to take the vaccine.

Terraformer wrote:

What are you talking about, louis? You didn't even read my post!

I have no idea why you're talking about Moderna when I mentioned Novavax. As a protein subunit vaccine (it consists of the spike protein plus an immune booster), it is the closest we'll have to a traditional inactivated vaccine - nothing enters the bodies cells, unlike the AZ and mRNA ones.

I also have no idea why you're talking about children. I never mentioned them. As far as we can tell, kids shrug off the disease just fine unless they have serious pre-existing conditions.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#829 2021-05-04 14:05:56

louis

I am not an anti-vaxxer. An anti-vaxxer opposes all vaccination programmes. I am a vaccine sceptic. I can see that there certainly can be a case made for mass vaccination for some diseases. Smallpox and polio are/were the most obvious, both diseases capable of causing serious damage to lots of otherwise healthy children and young people.

But I strongly oppose the misguided (and financially corrupt) attempt by Big Pharma and the medical profession to substitute vaccination for our immune systems. It makes no more sense than to substitute a robosuit for our muscular system just because people fall and break bones and sometimes die when they use their muscular systems for getting about. 

GW: healthy children are at no risk from Covid at all. They don't need to be protected.

GW Johnson wrote:

Terraformer:

Louis does that,  because he "swallowed the (real) Kool Aid" long ago.  He is a devout "anti-vaxxer" as well as a mask skeptic.  I checked on the identity of the references he cited in post 818 above to "refute" what I said about masks in post 817 above,  but they really were not credible as references.  One of them came from Twitter.  Twitter?  Really?

As far as his example in post 823 of a 2 year old dying from a Covid shot,  maybe it was the shot,  maybe not.  No data on that.  But even if it was the vaccine that killed the infant,  that is 1 bad result out of millions of vaccinations given.  Pretty good odds against there being any significant problem.  Most folks think 1 in 1000 is "good enough". 

GW

#830 2021-05-04 15:19:23

louis

Very sorry to hear that Calliban I hope your wife improves. Those sorts of conditions can be very distressing.

Calliban wrote:

My wife had her first shot of the Astrozenica vaccine on 27th March.  Within 5 days she developed tinnitus.  A few days after that, she suffered dizziness, vertigo, and nausea.  The symptoms have not abated and she now needs an MRI scan to check for permanent brain / nerve damage.  She feels permanently intoxicated.  Tinnitus and vertigo are known side effects of the vaccine.  We both had coronavirus in March last year.  It made us both ill, but we both got over it within 2 weeks.  The vaccine may have caused her permanent damage.

I am more than a little apprehensive about taking the vaccine after her experience.  Whilst both the vaccine and the virus present their own risk, I am not satisfied that viral risk avoided by taking the vaccine justify the risks that the vaccine imposes.  Having both had the coronavirus, we both have T-cell immunity.

#831 2021-05-04 17:57:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

I am very sorry to hear that Calliban I hope your wife improves.

My own fears getting the shots as well an is at risk with her medical conditions of not being well....

This sort of sounds like blood clots in some ways with the symptoms.

The other thing is why are we not doing immune testing for the antibodies and saying that thats good enough as we do with other diseases?

Last we know that woman do differently with medications so a blanket cure is something that needs to be looked at same as for whom gets the virus as they have a different body chemistry.

#832 2021-05-06 12:35:47

GW Johnson
Website

"No one aged 40 or below is at any risk from Covid if they are in they are neither obese nor with co-morbidities, so there is no reason for them to be advised to take the vaccine."

If that were true,  then why are the numbers of young adults and children that are sick with Covid-19 increasing in the US,  while the number of oldsters sickened is decreasing?  Them's the real numbers,  Louis! 

As for the difference between an "anti-vaxxer" and a "vaccine skeptic",  from my point of view,  there is no difference.  The outcome is the same:  they do not want the shot,  which makes them a contagion risk that threatens the rest of us.  If I were to threaten someone with a gun, I would be jailed.  There should be serious consequences for threatening with contagion.  Nuances of their reasons why they don't want the shot,  make no difference to that contagion threat outcome. 

As for the risks of the disease vs the vaccine,  I can only speak to the Pfizer,  Moderna,  and J&J shots.  There seem to be somewhere around 10 cases of bad blood clots with J&J,  and not very much other than 24-48 hours of feeling poor with the others.  That's out of around 100 million vaccinated so far in the US.  So the odds of a bad reaction are somewhere in the vicinity of 10/10^8 ~ 1/ten million.   Those are pretty good odds.  Compare that to the odds of a bad outcome from birth control pills: around 1/1000,  and people gladly accept those,  all the time. 

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2021-05-06 12:38:21)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#833 2021-05-06 14:42:55

louis

Mask danger. You have been warned. A scientific study of dangers to health from mask wearing:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a … 5421002311

#834 2021-05-06 15:07:07

louis

“This study, as well as my clinical experience taking care of patients with COVID-19, reinforces the findings that persons with obesity, diabetes, and hypertension are at much greater risk for adverse outcomes,”

"According to the CDCTrusted Source, obesity is an increasingly serious health issue in the United States, affecting over 40 percent of the population. The CDC reports that over the last 20 years, the prevalence of obesity increased from 30.5 to 42.4 percent, and severe obesity increased from under 5 to 9.2 percent."

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ … jor-factor

You've got an horrendous problem with obesity in the USA and that includes among younger people, which is why Covid 19 is affecting younger people. A young man of 27 died of Covid here. He was a friend from some years ago of my daughter. He was grossly obese.

Healthy young people have nothing to fear from Covid - well certainly no more than from other similar diseases such as flu.

Vaccinated people can still transmit the virus. So careful what you wish for.

GW Johnson wrote:

"No one aged 40 or below is at any risk from Covid if they are in they are neither obese nor with co-morbidities, so there is no reason for them to be advised to take the vaccine."

If that were true,  then why are the numbers of young adults and children that are sick with Covid-19 increasing in the US,  while the number of oldsters sickened is decreasing?  Them's the real numbers,  Louis! 

As for the difference between an "anti-vaxxer" and a "vaccine skeptic",  from my point of view,  there is no difference.  The outcome is the same:  they do not want the shot,  which makes them a contagion risk that threatens the rest of us.  If I were to threaten someone with a gun, I would be jailed.  There should be serious consequences for threatening with contagion.  Nuances of their reasons why they don't want the shot,  make no difference to that contagion threat outcome. 

As for the risks of the disease vs the vaccine,  I can only speak to the Pfizer,  Moderna,  and J&J shots.  There seem to be somewhere around 10 cases of bad blood clots with J&J,  and not very much other than 24-48 hours of feeling poor with the others.  That's out of around 100 million vaccinated so far in the US.  So the odds of a bad reaction are somewhere in the vicinity of 10/10^8 ~ 1/ten million.   Those are pretty good odds.  Compare that to the odds of a bad outcome from birth control pills: around 1/1000,  and people gladly accept those,  all the time. 

GW

#835 2021-05-06 16:20:18

Calliban

Louis, GW (and others); thankyou for the support.  She has the MRI tomorrow.  My wife has long suspected that she suffers from an autoimmune condition.  It may be that the vaccine triggered this somehow.  We will have to wait for the results and diagnosis.

My own thoughts on the risk presented by coronavirus (and I am happy to be be proven wrong if someone can show me the statistics) is that the risk is real but quite small compared to other risks that we face in life.  The average age of death (in the UK) from coronavirus is 82 years of age.  I don't know what it is in the US, but I doubt that it is much different.  The response to the virus so far, appears to me at least to be grossly disproportionate to the real level of risk.  We will be burdened with the debt resulting from lockouts and other economically ruinous restrictions for decades to come.  Was it worth it?  There are sound reasons for doubting that it was.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti … RFORD.html

It is suspicious in my mind, that governments did not attempt to substantiate lockdowns and other restrictions with cost-benefit analysis.  Here's the bottom line: The coronavirus is a risk to public health and is one of many such risks.  Because it is a new virus without established immunity, it has a higher mortality rate than we are accustomed to from annual influenza cases.  That has gotten a lot of people scared.  And scared people aren't that interested in rational analysis or other people's rights.  There are things that can be done to reduce the risk, but they all come at a cost, both financial and in terms of loss of freedom for people having to tolerate enforced changes to their way of life and coercion into vaccination, which is not free from risk.

If you want to impose solutions on other people to reduce societal risk from this disease, then it is not unreasonable that you face a burden of proof in demonstrating that the reduction in total risk justifies whatever costs you are imposing on the people.  And the burden of proof absolutely should be on those that propose the enforced use of masks, restrictions on freedom of movement and association and of course vaccination, because these are deviations to normal life and they impose costs on people, some relatively small, others far less so.  It is simple really and it should be common sense: you need to demonstrate that what you are proposing is proportionate.  This is where cost-benefit analysis comes in.  It takes the emotion out of these decisions and gives you an answer based on arithmetic.  We use it for all sorts of complex decisions where we need to balance residual risks against the costs incurred by further risk reduction.

This is exactly the sort of cool headed approach that should be applied right now, before we trample over people's right to choose in order to mitigate a risk which may be much bigger in people's minds than it is in reality.  It may be that the use of masks, lockdown and vaccination, are fully justified by the results of a cost-benefit analysis.  Maybe not.  But without an evidence based justification, no one should be imposing the use of masks or vaccines on other people.

Last edited by Calliban (2021-05-06 16:54:42)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#836 2021-05-06 17:35:27

louis

Hope the MRI scan will lead to some progress for your wife.

Agree with all your comments. Covid 19 was not to be ignored or treated lightly. But neither was it a needful cause for panic. The Government took a wrong turning when it moved from a sensible policy of containment, protection for the most vulnerable and moving to herd immunity for one based on mass hysteria. No good can come from a government deliberating choosing to make the public more frightened than they need to be.

You are quite right to remind us of the absence of any published cost-benefit analysis for lockdown (plus masking, test and trace and vaccination). Why?

Calliban wrote:

Louis, GW (and others); thankyou for the support.  She has the MRI tomorrow.  My wife has long suspected that she suffers from an autoimmune condition.  It may be that the vaccine triggered this somehow.  We will have to wait for the results and diagnosis.

My own thoughts on the risk presented by coronavirus (and I am happy to be be proven wrong if someone can show me the statistics) is that the risk is real but quite small compared to other risks that we face in life.  The average age of death (in the UK) from coronavirus is 82 years of age.  I don't know what it is in the US, but I doubt that it is much different.  The response to the virus so far, appears to me at least to be grossly disproportionate to the real level of risk.  We will be burdened with the debt resulting from lockouts and other economically ruinous restrictions for decades to come.  Was it worth it?  There are sound reasons for doubting that it was.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti … RFORD.html

It is suspicious in my mind, that governments did not attempt to substantiate lockdowns and other restrictions with cost-benefit analysis.  Here's the bottom line: The coronavirus is a risk to public health and is one of many such risks.  Because it is a new virus without established immunity, it has a higher mortality rate than we are accustomed to from annual influenza cases.  That has gotten a lot of people scared.  And scared people aren't that interested in rational analysis or other people's rights.  There are things that can be done to reduce the risk, but they all come at a cost, both financial and in terms of loss of freedom for people having to tolerate enforced changes to their way of life and coercion into vaccination, which is not free from risk.

If you want to impose solutions on other people to reduce societal risk from this disease, then it is not unreasonable that you face a burden of proof in demonstrating that the reduction in total risk justifies whatever costs you are imposing on the people.  And the burden of proof absolutely should be on those that propose the enforced use of masks, restrictions on freedom of movement and association and of course vaccination, because these are deviations to normal life and they impose costs on people, some relatively small, others far less so.  It is simple really and it should be common sense: you need to demonstrate that what you are proposing is proportionate.  This is where cost-benefit analysis comes in.  It takes the emotion out of these decisions and gives you an answer based on arithmetic.  We use it for all sorts of complex decisions where we need to balance residual risks against the costs incurred by further risk reduction.

This is exactly the sort of cool headed approach that should be applied right now, before we trample over people's right to choose in order to mitigate a risk which may be much bigger in people's minds than it is in reality.  It may be that the use of masks, lockdown and vaccination, are fully justified by the results of a cost-benefit analysis.  Maybe not.  But without an evidence based justification, no one should be imposing the use of masks or vaccines on other people.

#837 2021-05-06 20:07:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

#838 2021-05-07 17:10:25

louis

A deliberately misleading presentation from the CDC. Absolute numbers would give a much clearer representation of what is going on. The multipliers disguise the huge differences between age groups.

#839 2021-05-09 02:16:40

Calliban

More evidence emerges of the likely origin of SARS-COVID-2 as a Chinese bio weapon that accidentally (one assumes) got away from them.
https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/chin … m-collapse

#840 2021-05-09 16:45:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

3-21 brother identified with covid
3-27 icu admitted
4-11 was delayed until
4-14 ish he was home with oxygen
5-9 report brother can sit for 3hrs not talking before the need for o2 is a must, still doing pt to get strength back, has depth perception issues

He will probably never be able to work as he joins the long hauler disabled group.

#841 2021-05-09 16:57:14

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

Best wishes for your brother to continue recovery even as it will be very slow.

The "long hauler" category of victims deserves research funding, and I've read hints here and there that there are
individual doctors or even an occasional department focused on the problem.

What kind of work did your brother do?

(th)

#842 2021-05-09 17:47:32

Calliban

SpaceNut, I hope your brother gets well soon and exceeds expectations in his recovery.

#843 2021-05-09 17:53:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

Worked at westing house doing fork truck plus other activities....

I do not think the type of lung damage is something that you can recover from and since the news has indicated lung transplants for those that barely make it out alive its not very hopeful that work will begin anytime soon of how to repair the lung....

Calliban I hope your wifes situation is improving as well..

Found out during a mothers day call that step father had a TA while out getting the cars oil changed on friday barely getting home having issues with eye sight...

#844 2021-05-16 19:07:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

Something that could be of importance to those that have conditions that will prevent employability Desperate for treatment, Covid 'long haulers' push for 9/11-style health registry with an estimated 10 percent of people infected with the virus experience long-term complications, helping potentially millions of people with often-debilitating long-term symptoms of Covid-19.

#845 2021-05-17 06:53:02

Mars_B4_Moon

I'm sorry to hear of your trouble Calliban. From my understanding it would seem some Vaccines work better than others, some vaccines may have been stored at the wrong temperature, there also might complication from those vaccines might come from adenovirus DNA that's part of the vaccine, also people might have their own personal allergic issues. Why did Bill and Melinda Gates decided to divorce now, the time is strange? Anti-vaccination activists and other people spread a variety of rumors, however the astrazeneca-oxford was known to be a problem one and it may be banned in a number of countries.  The efficacy of the vaccine was only at 76.0% at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 beginning at 22 days following the first dose and 81.3% after the second dose.

From what I understand is India now has a double mutant Covid and also a tripple evolution mutation of the virus, footage shows their hospital system getting overwhelmed and people burning bodies in the streets. Also burning in people's backyard, their front yard and putting burning bodies atop piles of wood in carparks just metres apart.

Brazil has bad numbers and people have closed their borders to Brazil while Brazil bans entry of foreign travelers, the numbers are rising in Eastern Europe with many former Soviet countries crying out accusations of a return of Soviet Communism, there are protests against the economic hardships of lockdowns. The numbers in Spain, France, Italy and other places are still bad, it was a difficult year with the virus under the Trump admin but the worst effects of the virus might yet be to come under the Biden admin. I'm not sure what the answer is, few places have managed to save an economy while trying to get the virus under control. Some  of Japanese people believe Tokyo Olympics should be cancelled or postponed, itys already been delayed a full year. A few places in the Asia-Pacific region Australia, Samoa, Vietnam, New Zealand, S.Korea and others seem to have go the virus under control but in the United States and other Western democratic places I'm sure there would be protests against these government actions, protesting that say these kinds of full on lock downs are too extreme. California people were arrested for selling fake counterfeit Covid passports or arrested for sell fake vaccination Corona cards. Some in Congress, some Senators and other Mayors and Lawmakers now take steps to ban vaccine passports because it goes against America's values or personal freedoms.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-05-17 06:55:16)

#846 2021-05-17 18:41:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

India is another hot spot in the world where conditions are being stressed due to the poor economy and income levels. The US has or will send vaccines to them in hopes to give aid to their nation and of its people.
We still do not know enough about the vaccines or how well it will work for all of the variants that have come from the original...

The medical profession needs to stop labeling and start testing to see what it is before giving out medical advice or labels.

#847 2021-05-19 12:46:46

tahanson43206

https://www.yahoo.com/news/promising-va … 00527.html

Business Insider
A promising new vaccine candidate could protect us from multiple coronaviruses - including some that haven't jumped to humans yet
Aria Bendix
Tue, May 18, 2021, 8:51 AM

(th)

#848 2021-05-19 17:02:28

louis

Wow - you guys really fall for the propaganda don't you? India's deaths per million rate is way below that of the UK and USA. They don't need your vaccines. In fact it was (as we have seen in country after country) the beginning of the mass vaccination that led to the Covid rise in India. Anyway, now, as always happens, the numbers are tumbling. India's doing fine.

SpaceNut wrote:

India is another hot spot in the world where conditions are being stressed due to the poor economy and income levels. The US has or will send vaccines to them in hopes to give aid to their nation and of its people.
We still do not know enough about the vaccines or how well it will work for all of the variants that have come from the original...

The medical profession needs to stop labeling and start testing to see what it is before giving out medical advice or labels.

#849 2021-05-19 18:24:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

So we are not to believe in any News sources right... How contagious is the coronavirus variant from India? What the science shows

This box could be for you one day as
India sets global record for daily coronavirus deathsBB1gU2Of.img?h=496&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

#850 2021-05-29 19:12:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

Employers paid for essential employees pay raise, then for time due to illness, setting up safety partitions and now it seems that they can U.S. Agency Makes Clear Companies Can Require Workers to Be Vaccinated Against COVID

Board footer