New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1076 2021-05-02 11:37:00

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery ...

WBA is ready for the next run, with the first cut at stopping when we reach TestID Usernames.

I'll run that test after you have a chance to look at zmaxime.re

Meanwhile, outdoor chores await!

(th)

#1077 2021-05-02 14:11:14

SpaceNut
Administrator

I got started this morning on the banned table review only to find about 20 duplicates that had different email addresses which means that it was somehow linked on the crashed emails being duplicated so I change the groups that were in the 4500 and 4600 series that were duplicates by incrementing just the one digit to a 7 so as to keep the cycle number as it was so that you could look at the log file.
I am now back from the laundry chore so I can now move them out of the banned table to the user list.

edit
id's 4506 through to 4674 are now reset and in the userlist

zmaxime.re was a russian email address that spammed. I have reset the post count to zero....

#1078 2021-05-02 16:40:59

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1077

First, thanks for confirming zmaxime.re is reset to 0 .... More importantly (to me for sure!), you've confirmed you can do that if it is needed << grin >>

Second ... I was taken aback by your reports of (about 20) duplicates ... What I'm not clear on is what to look for in the log.  The next time that happens, please take a moment to post the ID that you found.  It is possible the Internet/Intranet failures caused by the poor local wireless connection might have led to activity the program cannot see at present.  I ** should ** be able to build additional checks into the script, at points where they are needed ... The email address not being updated properly in the Bans table is tricky because (if you think back) you instructed me to remove the log record of the old email address.  I agree with the basic idea, that such old address should not be left in a file somewhere, but the result is I don't have it.

Third ... the only ID I see missing at the moment is 4672 ...

I'll manually recreate that one so I can start a new run at 4675.

Thanks again for your attention to detail as we proceed!  It really helps!

Also, I was happy to see the exchange between you and Oldfart1939, and the commentary by GW Johnson about SpaceX landing planning.

It was ** good ** to see the safe landing at sea this morning (on Earth in Florida) ... the local residents kept their distance, with Coast Guard out in force.

Edit at 18:51 local time ... OK ! 4672 is created using the Russian spam ID ... hopefully we'll find a member who'll help with projects to fill that slot!

I'll start a run with the latest version of WBA shortly ... I'm looking for signs the new Stop At feature is working.  The "clue" will be log reports that the ID it is working on is NOT one of those at which it should stop.  That doesn't mean the program will actually ** stop ** when it hits a TestID, but at least it will  be confirmation the inverse is working.

Once we hit TestID records, we can reset the query to look for records beyond the TestID group.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-05-02 16:53:51)

#1079 2021-05-02 17:33:19

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... here is another legitimate stop

ZliftonFiege  The creator of this ID visited once after registration day

If you want to set a rule for this situation, I can manually upgrade an account like this.

Otherwise, we can just let the program run until it hits one of these, and you can decide what you want to do.

User activity
Last post: Never
Posts: 0 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions
Admin note

Since a new feature is in test mode, here is a snip of the log for the run with Stop At added ...

Starting Sequence for ID: 4676
Text from Clipboard in Step: 18 Zlo88Kep
Text from Clipboard in Step: 38 http://newmars.com/forums/userlist.php? … rch=Submit
Text from Clipboard in Step: 47 http://newmars.com/forums/profile.php?id=431417
Text from Clipboard in Step: 52 Zlo88Kep
At Step: 60 Username did not match Stop At value
Post-Date Function Start: Reading Clipboard #4
PerformFunction: Valid ID: match in: Registered: 2019-05-15 (193.169.252.10)
Text from Clipboard in Step: 69 TestID04676
Text from Clipboard in Step: 78 TestID04676@test.com
Text from Clipboard in Step: 88 http://newmars.com/forums/profile.php?s … &id=431417
Completed Sequence for ID: 4676

Here's a bit of detail that (I suspect) is only interesting to someone following this really ** really ** closely ...

The log shows Record Number early, at step 47, before the name change, and at step 88 after the name change.

This shows that the name change was applied to the same record as was fetched for work.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-05-02 17:39:59)

#1080 2021-05-02 17:41:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

email address is Yandex which is a known email spammer domain.
its another that was just waiting to do damage....

just did a check of the ban list

TestID04672 correct email   Never Upd: 2021/05/02 RobertDyck Edit | Remove
TestID04675 correct email   Never Upd: 2021/05/02 SpaceNut Edit | Remove
TestID04675 *** deleted email info****     81.163.62.221 Never   SpaceNut Edit | Remove
TestID04676 correct email   Never Upd: 2021/05/02 SpaceNut Edit | Remove

#1081 2021-05-02 18:01:29

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1080

First, thanks for the note about Yandex! 

And! Thanks for the follow up regarding 4675 ... That is in the log just ahead of 4676 so I'll look at it.

My guess is I'm not picking up something as we go along, so I'll try to figure that out.

I'm about to post another item about Analog's Science Fact series ... this one is about 3D Printing

(th)

#1082 2021-05-02 18:10:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery ...

OK ... the problem appears to be in the Bans table...

There are a number of duplicates in the section immediately ahead ...

Before i start running again, please take a look at the situation.

The Bans table obviously allows duplicate bans ...

The User table does not allow duplicate email addresses.

My recollection is it does not allow duplicate Usernames either ... it's been a while since I saw a warning about that, but (thinking back) that would have been the case.

However, the Bans table obviously does allow duplication Usernames.

Do you want to just let the program do as much as it can and clean up afterward?

(th)

#1083 2021-05-02 18:25:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thats correct for the current version but that may not have been so back when the accounts got created...in either case we can resolve them with my checks and moves to make the duplicate appear up stream....

#1084 2021-05-02 19:22:24

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1083 ...

Thanks for taking a look at that situation ... If you're willing to put up with the aggravation I'll try a run up to 4700 this evening.

Halts could occur, as you have seen, so I'm not expecting clear sailing.  I got spoiled by the (comparatively) easy going in the Not Verified set.

We may be dealing here with a (modest) flaw in FluxBB .... I hope the ability to create duplicate Ban records has been corrected in the version we are running now. 

Best wishes for the work week ahead, and for an open slot for your work on the Subaru engine.

(th)

#1085 2021-05-02 19:56:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

No worries keep going and we will back fill the 4700's or remove duplicates as needed.

#1086 2021-05-03 06:12:16

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery

Last night's run got all the way to 4699 when it halted again.

I'm getting used to the halts for legitimate reasons, and just manually deal with the minor issues.

As long as the post count is zero (which has been true since the ID you looked at), I'm evaluating the Last Visit date with respect to the Registered date, and so far I've decided to recycle the ID manually.  So far the Last Visit was within a day or two of Registration, as though the spammer was confirming the login ** really ** worked.

The last two ID's needed manual upgrade.  The current high water mark is 4700.

I'll try 4701-4800 tonight, but don't expect it to get far.

One thing to consider is to change the Validation procedure to not worry about the Last Visit date.

That way the Validation criteria would be:

a) The ID was already banned and
b) It has zero posts

If you authorize that change, the rate of progress should improve.

Refinement is possible ... For example, since I have the dates converted to system dates as part of the comparison procedure, I can perform difference calculations.

If the Last Visit is within one month of Registration, then we could consider the ID a spammer?

That would not be hard to do, and it would reduce the number of false stops.

Other refinements are possible ... for example, Registration can be more than a year ago.

Edit at 8:37 local time ... Moved a post by Louis from Primary to Companion

I assume Louis was checking to see if we meant business.

With your support and approval, I will continue to keep the runway clear for Oldfart1939

Edit 12:22 local time:

I'm starting to think about possible ways of implementing Validation, pending your decision on how you might want to proceed ...

A particular way of performing validation could be called for by the script, so it would be easy for the operator to increase or decrease severity of validation.

The current validation is strict, but there may be times when some relaxation of the criteria for halting the program might be desired.

An immediate option that would be easy to implement would be "PZ" ... PostZero filter ...; This command would perform the same validation as now for Post count, but would skip the dates check.

At run time, the PZ could be swapped for the PF if we hit a group of ID's which don't pass PF.

Or, as indicated earlier, more refined date checking is possible ...

I'm trying to design this program to have universal application, and everything except PF could be used for any web site.

The validation procedures may be difficult to make universal.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-05-03 10:29:34)

#1087 2021-05-03 11:57:25

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... a new wrinkle

First, the good news ... the program stopped when FluxBB reported that TestID##### is already present in the Bans table.

The number reported matched the ID's in the Bans table that were given new names recently.

A possible solution is to rename the duplicate records to something other than TestID#####

For now I'll stop and wait for your decision on what you want to do.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-05-03 17:14:33)

#1088 2021-05-03 19:52:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

These were the duplicates that were still in the ban table which some still had the original emails with the new names so I made them idA and IDb to do the remove from the table to see what happens.

#1089 2021-05-03 20:37:04

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1088

Thanks for taking a look at those little critters!   My guess is they were created in error by the ban procedure, and are no longer relevant because the banned Id's have been recovered.

The way looks clear for another run.  I'm not expecting it to get far because the strict validation is still in place, but we could get lucky!

Nice to see Oldfart1939 still working on the 17 person landing party concept.

I ordered the new Million Person City competition book ... The book is also available on Kindle.  I like to write in my books, so ordered the hard copy.

Update next day ... the program only ran for 4 ID's before hitting a snag.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-05-04 06:15:14)

#1090 2021-05-04 13:26:42

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery ....

First ... I read Calliban's report of difficulties faced by his wife, and would like to express sympathy and best wishes for eventual full recovery, and for freedom from side effects if he decides to take the vaccine.

Second ... I followed the link provided by Louis, and saw a notice the launch had been scrubbed.

I don't ** know ** that the launch was scrubbed ... all I can ** know ** is that I saw a display to that effect on the link Louis provided.

Now ... to the matter at hand ...

Without tolerance for for a few days between Registration and last_Visit, I am currently only able to process one or two ID's at a time.  It takes longer to set up for a run than it takes to manually update ID's.

If you got back to me about date tolerance, I missed it.  I'm going to test an updated version in a few minutes, with the added capability to evaluate candidates for upgrade based upon the difference in days between Registration and Last_Visit.   The span of days allowed can be adjusted from the setup screen at run time, to a change to the script is not needed.

I set the default span to 30 days.  Please let me know if you want the span reduced.

I told WBA to report exceptions to the log, and I'll be able to show you what it found.

Edit at 15:34 local time ... fail occurred on the first ID ... the new code did not deliver the expected result.

Back in a bit ...

Edit at 15:54 ... there ** may ** have been a switch missing .... There are two ways to halt the program, in addition to dozens of ways in the script, and I may have missed one.

Here goes try 2 ...3...4...

OK ... we seem to be able to handle a 1 day interval between Registration and Last_Visit ... 4710 is available for your review.

Edit at 19:05 local time ....

This is more like it ... we got all the way from 4711 through 4720.

The ID for you to look at is zducwf

That ID has one recorded post...

Starting Sequence for ID: 4721
Text from Clipboard in Step: 18 zducwf
Text from Clipboard in Step: 38 http://newmars.com/forums/userlist.php? … rch=Submit
Text from Clipboard in Step: 47 http://newmars.com/forums/profile.php?id=432158
Text from Clipboard in Step: 52 zducwf
At Step: 60 Username did not match Stop At value
User has posts greater than zero:

Here's what it looks like if an ID passes all checks:

PerformFunction: Valid ID: match in:

Here's what it looks like if an ID has a Date mismatch that is within the range allowed at run time:

Last visit: date did not match Registered: date Registered: 2020-09-20 (185.210.217.250)
Posts: 0 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions
Admin note

Submit When you update your profile, you will be redirected back to this page.
Jump to
   Go