New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2003-06-27 23:05:27

LMonske
Banned

Re: Life on Mars "beachgrasses"

In some recent mars orbiter photos is some very intriging photos. In these photos is what appears on dunes at the seashore beach grass or a form of bush. In the attached photos taken at 300 meters resolution is what undoubtly looks like beach dunes on earth. I would love to see someone do a lander site in the mist of these dunes. If you have ever flown over beach dunes somewhere or seen bushes in a aroyo here on earth these look the same. Here on earth grasses are growing in some of the most hostil conditions on earth.

#2 2003-06-28 08:12:33

Palomar

In some recent mars orbiter photos is some very intriging photos. In these photos is what appears on dunes at the seashore beach grass or a form of bush. In the attached photos taken at 300 meters resolution is what undoubtly looks like beach dunes on earth. I would love to see someone do a lander site in the mist of these dunes. If you have ever flown over beach dunes somewhere or seen bushes in a aroyo here on earth these look the same. Here on earth grasses are growing in some of the most hostil conditions on earth.

*I think I -might- know what you are referring to:  Sand dunes unthawing with the approach of the Marsian spring season show a darker color...which does look like bushes.  I'll see if I can't dig up a photo and we can compare if this is what you are referring to.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2003-06-28 08:48:28

Palomar

Might be in here

Well, I checked through the Archives of "Astronomy Picture of the Day", to see if it were they who had run the photo I have in mind.  I used their Search feature, using the words "dune", "thaw" and "unthaw"...I got results, but not the photo I was looking for.

I've visited the link above previously, months ago.  It may be in there; however, a cursory hunt on my part didn't yield the photo -- you may wish to dig through it further.

I'm very busy with relatives arriving on Sunday, am wrapping up my work week, etc., etc., but I'll do what I can to keep looking throughout my work day today (I'm on the computer anyway) and will check back at the message board.

Meanwhile:  Google.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2003-06-28 09:00:09

jschuur
Banned

#5 2003-06-28 09:01:14

Palomar

This is the photo

*Found it with Google "Images" search, "Mars dunes." 

Is this what you are referring to?

--Cindy

Board footer