New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-06-27 23:05:27

LMonske
Banned

Re: Life on Mars "beachgrasses"

In some recent mars orbiter photos is some very intriging photos. In these photos is what appears on dunes at the seashore beach grass or a form of bush. In the attached photos taken at 300 meters resolution is what undoubtly looks like beach dunes on earth. I would love to see someone do a lander site in the mist of these dunes. If you have ever flown over beach dunes somewhere or seen bushes in a aroyo here on earth these look the same. Here on earth grasses are growing in some of the most hostil conditions on earth.

#2 2003-06-28 08:12:33

Palomar

In some recent mars orbiter photos is some very intriging photos. In these photos is what appears on dunes at the seashore beach grass or a form of bush. In the attached photos taken at 300 meters resolution is what undoubtly looks like beach dunes on earth. I would love to see someone do a lander site in the mist of these dunes. If you have ever flown over beach dunes somewhere or seen bushes in a aroyo here on earth these look the same. Here on earth grasses are growing in some of the most hostil conditions on earth.

*I think I -might- know what you are referring to:  Sand dunes unthawing with the approach of the Marsian spring season show a darker color...which does look like bushes.  I'll see if I can't dig up a photo and we can compare if this is what you are referring to.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2003-06-28 08:48:28

Palomar

Might be in here

Well, I checked through the Archives of "Astronomy Picture of the Day", to see if it were they who had run the photo I have in mind.  I used their Search feature, using the words "dune", "thaw" and "unthaw"...I got results, but not the photo I was looking for.

I've visited the link above previously, months ago.  It may be in there; however, a cursory hunt on my part didn't yield the photo -- you may wish to dig through it further.

I'm very busy with relatives arriving on Sunday, am wrapping up my work week, etc., etc., but I'll do what I can to keep looking throughout my work day today (I'm on the computer anyway) and will check back at the message board.

Meanwhile:  Google.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2003-06-28 09:00:09

jschuur
Banned

#5 2003-06-28 09:01:14

Palomar

This is the photo

*Found it with Google "Images" search, "Mars dunes." 

Is this what you are referring to?

--Cindy

Board footer