New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2020-01-23 09:22:39

Terraformer
Website

2019 NCOV a.k.a. Wuhan's Diseases

CDC summary

At last count, 650 fifty cases were confirmed, of whom 25 have died.

This subreddit is a good place for aggregated news sources (yes, I know it's not flu) - China flue

Three Chinese cities are in lockdown, with a total population of 19 million. By comparison, imagine quarantining New York or London.

Four people are in quarantine in Scotland.

(Does this belong here, or in Not So Free Chat? SpaceNut decides.)

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#2 2020-01-23 12:36:08

Terraformer
Website

Re: 2019 NCOV a.k.a. Wuhan's Diseases

UPDATE: the figure of 25 is fake news, that was repeated by multiple outlets. Officially the count is 18. Officially. I'm not sure how trustworthy that is.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#3 2020-01-23 12:51:02

louis

It's China. You can't believe anything. They will lie if they think it's necessary.

Terraformer wrote:

UPDATE: the figure of 25 is fake news, that was repeated by multiple outlets. Officially the count is 18. Officially. I'm not sure how trustworthy that is.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#4 2020-01-23 13:25:21

tahanson43206

For Louis re #3 ....

Things may be improving .... I heard/saw a report that Chairman Xi has taken an interest in this situation, and instructed officials to share everything with everyone.

I hope the report itself is accurate << grin >>  If it ** is ** accurate, that would be a welcome change from past practice.

However, I note that (again if the report is accurate) this comes AFTER Chairman Xi secured lifetime tenure for himself.

Perhaps he feels free to share bad news (selectively of course) in the absence of any threat to his position.

(th)

#5 2020-01-23 14:58:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think that 1 case has been confirmed in the washington oregon state area from a flight that made it there before testing of temperatures were done.
CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus that has killed 17 in China

New China virus: US announces first case - BBC News

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Tuesday confirmed the first U.S. case of a new coronavirus that has killed six people in China. The CDC and Washington state officials said the man, a Snohomish County resident in his 30s, was in good condition at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett.

#6 2020-01-25 03:46:56

Terraformer
Website

18 cities now on lockdown.

Official death toll: 41.

Cases confirmed in France and Australia.

First transmission outside of China - boy in Vietnam caught it from his father, who had been in Wuhan.

Mortality rate of 15% in the first 41 cases recognised (severe enough to warrant hospitalisation); estimates for the number of mild cases puts the overall mortality rate at ~3%, heavily weighted towards the elderly.

Yet the border remains open. The French health minister even said that stopping people coming from China 'is impossible', despite the countries not sharing a land border and being quite a long distance from each other. If it was Germany, she'd have a point, but everyone who's coming from China is coming on a plane.

If Britain can isolate animals for six weeks to successfully keep rabies out, we can isolate people for a week or two to keep our country free of this disease. I think it warrants taking at least as seriously as the Chinese are.

#7 2020-01-25 08:56:50

louis

Since the crisis started 2000 people have come from Wuhan to the UK - quite a remarkable number.  A lot of Chinese people live in the UK on the back of business residency visas (as many as 8 million a year are issued!).

Terraformer wrote:

18 cities now on lockdown.

Official death toll: 41.

Cases confirmed in France and Australia.

First transmission outside of China - boy in Vietnam caught it from his father, who had been in Wuhan.

Mortality rate of 15% in the first 41 cases recognised (severe enough to warrant hospitalisation); estimates for the number of mild cases puts the overall mortality rate at ~3%, heavily weighted towards the elderly.

Yet the border remains open. The French health minister even said that stopping people coming from China 'is impossible', despite the countries not sharing a land border and being quite a long distance from each other. If it was Germany, she'd have a point, but everyone who's coming from China is coming on a plane.

If Britain can isolate animals for six weeks to successfully keep rabies out, we can isolate people for a week or two to keep our country free of this disease. I think it warrants taking at least as seriously as the Chinese are.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#8 2020-01-26 11:35:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Coronavirus outbreak: US citizen says she's angry and scared

More than 50 people are dead -- all in China -- as the Wuhan coronavirus continues to spread throughout Asia and the rest of the world. Nearly 2,000 cases have been confirmed in mainland China.

#9 2020-01-27 06:38:25

Terraformer
Website

The death toll is 80, now.

The evacuated citizens (and the personnel on the flight) will, presumably, be spending the next two weeks in quarantine, so I'm not that worried about it.

#10 2020-01-27 15:25:53

Terraformer
Website

tahanson,

Please could you keep the topic of Martian quarantine to a different thread?

Fortunately, this disease is (apparently) not as severe in children. Hopefully that means that, unlike flu, young children are not at much risk.

#11 2020-01-27 15:39:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think this will work as a new topic Earth to Mars Phobos quarantine depot

#12 2020-01-28 17:40:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

Many reports are coming out of this new disease and that it has traveled to many countries effecting young and old. The stage we are in is to slow the contangious spread and to test to know for sure how and when it transistioned from China to all of these places. The careful care of those that are truely infected and hopefully the development of a cure is in the offering soon. The care is also a stage to slow those that might have otherwise died due to this disease once identified. Hopefully we can develope a vaccine for those which could be infected.

#13 2020-01-29 02:41:13

Terraformer
Website

John Hopkins map of the disease

The recovered:dead ratio for both Bejing and Shanghai is 4:1. That's a lot better than Hubei province, but this may reflect a difference in patients - since their hospitals aren't overwhelmed, they could be picking up milder cases. On the other hand, this could be a hopeful sign that the mortality rate in severe cases (themselves estimated at ~20% of all cases) is ~20%, which would support the idea that the virus has a mortality rate of 3-4%.

#14 2020-01-30 20:23:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

There is still a rising death toll in china and while the borders of that nation might be closed or limited its already to late as its spreading world wide at an alarming rate. There is a few confirmed cases but over a hundred others that are being monitored. Wild news is on social media and other news notifications of cities putting out the closed signs but nothing offical has been doine to curb the spread thus far.
It is said to be simular to SARS and MERS but nothing state officially.

#15 2020-01-31 06:23:26

Terraformer
Website

MedCram Coronavirus Update (YouTube) Asymptomatic transmission in Germany. The individual had mild symptoms, and was contagious both before and after their illness.

At 9,776 confirmed cases (see tracker), it's surpassed SARS in that respect.

Two people are in isolation in Newcastle for the disease as well, but they aren't releasing any information about the patients.

Last edited by Terraformer (2020-01-31 06:24:13)

#16 2020-01-31 18:08:25

Calliban

Corona virus contains sections of HIV DNA 'designed' to neutralise the human immune system.
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ … -bioweapon

It looks increasingly likely that the Corona virus is a genetically engineered bio weapon that escaped from a Wuhan bioresearch lab.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#17 2020-01-31 19:16:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Ya we could think of it that way but if we can recreate the virus then we can recreate a cure as well. Getting people to take the vacine will be as hard as other killer diseases have been.
The quests for quarantining is duration of incubation, time being the infected carrier, time while getting well that others still can get it under conditional contact or are you still a carrier even when well.

#18 2020-02-01 10:24:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

With the rising death rate from this virus we are ddropping our guard on what we know of the regular flu viruses like Influenza B. Maryland Health Department Reports Five More Flu-Related Deaths

China reports 46 new coronavirus deaths, total at 259

This is traveling faster than normal with case exposure.

#19 2020-02-03 18:54:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

Was only a few decades ago that another Virus was raising its head with deaths that seemed to come out of no where as the incubation time was nearly a decade where the person would show no outward signs of being ill. That disease is still with us even after getting quite a bit of success to fight how it was spread and coming up with very expensive drugs to fight it. That was HIV and from what I was reading they are using those drugs on patients in hope that the long term disease works the same way as a treatment even if temporary.

The New Coronavirus Is a Truly Modern Epidemic as the death toll still is increasing and is near 360 at this time with infection showing up in the US is several areas. Including CDC Tests Three Patients in NYC for Coronavirus: Health Officials

Not sure that doing this is the right thing until we know more about the disease as 1st patient diagnosed with coronavirus in U.S. released

China is building a Hospital to care for those that have become sicken with this deadly virus.

#20 2020-02-04 20:33:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

More than 3,500 people quarantined on Princess ship after guest tests positive for coronavirus

A Chinese doctor was one of the first to warn about coronavirus. He got detained
Chinese doctor was warned to keep quiet after sounding the alarm on the virus. Whistleblower doctor who tried to warn of coronavirus becomes infected.

An outbreak of a novel coronavirus was initially identified during mid-December 2019 in the city of Wuhan in central China, as an emerging cluster of people with pneumonia with no clear cause, which was linked primarily to stallholders who worked at the Huanan Seafood Market, which also sold live animals.

Which makes this a cross over virus not one that man would normally get....this is simular to the aids virus and how it crossed to men that eat the meat of infected monkeys...

#21 2020-02-05 04:10:36

Terraformer
Website

As of 05/02/2020,

Confirmed cases: 24,597
Confirmed deaths: 493
Confirmed recoveries: 942

(Source: John Hopkins)

-----------

Of course, these are mostly figures from the Chinese, and only cover confirmed cases. There are an estimated 5-10x as many people infected as hospitalised and tested (which would reduce the case fatality rate), and there are reports that the Chinese are cremating bodies without testing them (which would increase the case fatality rate).

#22 2020-02-05 09:24:25

tahanson43206

For Terraformer re #21

Thank you for this running total.

Here is a request ...

Caveats are you may not have the time, or may not have available research opportunities ...

You mentioned the reports Chinese are cremating ? burying bodies without testing them ...

How would a person drafted for this unpleasant duty test the body?

I can imagine a sample might be taken, along with a digital image of the body for loved ones to be notified (if there are any survivors in a family).

My question is ... how could the sample be processed to confirm the presence of Novel Coronavirus?

Surely this is a question worth asking for locations outside of China.

(th)

#23 2020-02-05 17:11:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

Its most likely that blood samples were taken long before death and while there is a back log of performing them it may be still in safe keeping with a possibility that they were disposed of by not thinking forward to the value in knowing why some one might have died.
Viability of dead samples would need to have come with in a short span of time after death as the result of nature bacterial build up would occur possibly masking the testing that one would seek to gain knowledge from.
Mass burials do not prevent a disease from spreading as that would require them to be buried real deep, as with cremation you are most likely to have distroyed the virus.

#24 2020-02-05 18:55:04

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #23 and the topic in general ...

I hope forum members will continue adding to the topic here as news comes in ...

It should be noted that cremation is expensive in a culture without an elevated standard of living.

However, burial does not guarantee the infectious agent is terminated. 

The article at the link below dates back to 2014, but it describes active measures being taken at that time to try to prevent spread of the virus.

Of possible interest to readers in today's time frame is the policy attempted in 2014, to disinfect remains before burial.

The article concludes with a report of an American being cremated after the individual became a carrier and died.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne … 180952218/

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-02-05 18:58:53)

#25 2020-02-06 07:32:18

Calliban

Two interesting articles about the coronavirus, which is almost certainly an escaped Chinese bioweapon.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ … oronavirus

https://www.oftwominds.com/blogfeb20/br … t2-20.html

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

Board footer