New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-04-15 12:25:58

tahanson43206
Moderator
Registered: 2018-04-27
Posts: 7,298

Poster to Recruit New Members

This new topic is for SpaceNut first, and then for all registered Administrators, Moderators and Members ...

As the  NewMars forum gains visibility around Earth, there will be opportunities for supporters to publish announcements about the forum in local venues.

For example, it ** used ** to be possible for students to staple announcements of bulletin boards on campus.  I don't know if that ancient practice still exists, but if it does, it might be possible to adapt the forum announcement for that purpose:

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

A poster for a college/university bulletin board might read:

Announcement: The NewMars forum is affiliated with the Mars Society.  We have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

That's just a suggestion ... there might be better wording.  An image of Mars might be a part of the presentation.

(th)

Offline

#2 2021-04-16 06:28:45

tahanson43206
Moderator
Registered: 2018-04-27
Posts: 7,298

Re: Poster to Recruit New Members

Noah sent a note to NewMarsMember * gmail.com

The conversation reminded me of an ongoing conversation with SpaceNut ...

Most people (humans) are job holders .... In fact, being a "job holder" is not only ** normal **, is is highly desirable.

However, not ONE of those jobs can exist or ever WILL exist without the services of that unique individual, the "job creator".

In an article I read recently, about the abject failure of the United States (as a collection of human beings) to prepare young people for careers as highly skilled machinists.  The article report that Elon Musk is betting his business on a cadre of highly skilled machinists who are nearing retirement.  There are no replacements in sight. 

In his recent email, Noah made the (quite reasonable) point that most of the folks he knows do not see Mars as a "real" possibility.

He observed that a criterion for seeing Mars as "real" may be whether humans have landed there or not.

Humans landed on the Moon decades ago.

A very ** small ** number of people see the Moon as worthy of the investment of time and energy, let alone devoting a career to it's exploration and settlement.

It is that very small group of people who are the prospects I would like to see invited to join/participate in the NewMars forum.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-04-16 06:29:35)

Offline

#3 2021-04-16 09:07:25

louis
Member
From: UK
Registered: 2008-03-24
Posts: 6,858

Re: Poster to Recruit New Members

My view is that people will very quickly come round to the idea of a Mars as a second home for humanity in a way that the Moon never has been seen. This will happen when people begin to see HD TV images of places that look quite familiar. Once people see vehicles and people moving around on the surface, Starships arriving and leaving, exploration missions going here there and everywhere....well I think a lot of people will be inspired.

Musk is combination of many talents and publicity is one of them as we saw with his Starman stunt.

I'd expect something similar on Mars. Maybe he will return to his original idea of a greenhouse on Mars, lay down some artificial grass and have a tree growing in a greenhouse in the middle of the base...maybe a specially adapted Tesla will be driving around.  Maybe he'll organise a game of basketball or similar...who knows?

Anyway, if you need a slogan for a poster how about

Join the Journey - to Mars!



tahanson43206 wrote:

Noah sent a note to NewMarsMember * gmail.com

The conversation reminded me of an ongoing conversation with SpaceNut ...

Most people (humans) are job holders .... In fact, being a "job holder" is not only ** normal **, is is highly desirable.

However, not ONE of those jobs can exist or ever WILL exist without the services of that unique individual, the "job creator".

In an article I read recently, about the abject failure of the United States (as a collection of human beings) to prepare young people for careers as highly skilled machinists.  The article report that Elon Musk is betting his business on a cadre of highly skilled machinists who are nearing retirement.  There are no replacements in sight. 

In his recent email, Noah made the (quite reasonable) point that most of the folks he knows do not see Mars as a "real" possibility.

He observed that a criterion for seeing Mars as "real" may be whether humans have landed there or not.

Humans landed on the Moon decades ago.

A very ** small ** number of people see the Moon as worthy of the investment of time and energy, let alone devoting a career to it's exploration and settlement.

It is that very small group of people who are the prospects I would like to see invited to join/participate in the NewMars forum.

(th)


Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

Offline

#4 2021-04-16 12:03:35

tahanson43206
Moderator
Registered: 2018-04-27
Posts: 7,298

Re: Poster to Recruit New Members

For Louis re #3

Thank you for your interesting (to me for sure) contribution to this new topic!

Your suggestion for a slogan reminded me immediately of a song "premiered" in one of the videos saved in YouTube for the 2020 Mars Convention.  The refrain included the words "to Mars" ... I'll try to find the actual video and add it to this post...

However, in the process of looking for ** that ** video, I found ** this ** video from August 2020 ...

https://www.marssociety.org/videos/halfway-to-mars/

Apparently it was inspired by Elon Musk's publicity stunt (to which you referred...)

Halfway to Mars
August 9th, 2020
Permalink
Mars Society releases new song celebrating mankind's recent achievements in space In light of recent achievements in space and our continued efforts as a species to get humans on to the surface of the red planet, the Mars Society is thrilled to release an inspiring new song that celebrates the work of the pioneers of Mars and hopes to inspire us to strive even harder. The idea for the song came up, three months into the covid-19 lockdown, when Opera singer Oscar Castellino in a chat with British artist Linda Shanson in London realized that they could be halfway to Mars, if their home that they were confined to was a spaceship. The journey to Mars did not seem so difficult after all!

Regarding the slogan ... I like it, but the vast majority of people who are likely to earn incomes in careers related to Mars are ** not ** going there.

Like the suppliers to the gold miners in the American Gold Rush, the ** real ** economic winners are going to be all those individuals and companies (and indirectly governments) who support the many expeditions that will be occurring.

A slogan for ** those ** people would (probably) be phrased slightly differently.

In any case, thanks again for giving this new topic a boost!

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-04-16 12:04:41)

Offline

#5 2021-04-16 13:13:19

louis
Member
From: UK
Registered: 2008-03-24
Posts: 6,858

Re: Poster to Recruit New Members

I was thinking more of a metaphorical journey but for some people that will become a reality.

tahanson43206 wrote:

For Louis re #3

Thank you for your interesting (to me for sure) contribution to this new topic!

Your suggestion for a slogan reminded me immediately of a song "premiered" in one of the videos saved in YouTube for the 2020 Mars Convention.  The refrain included the words "to Mars" ... I'll try to find the actual video and add it to this post...

However, in the process of looking for ** that ** video, I found ** this ** video from August 2020 ...

https://www.marssociety.org/videos/halfway-to-mars/

Apparently it was inspired by Elon Musk's publicity stunt (to which you referred...)

Halfway to Mars
August 9th, 2020
Permalink
Mars Society releases new song celebrating mankind's recent achievements in space In light of recent achievements in space and our continued efforts as a species to get humans on to the surface of the red planet, the Mars Society is thrilled to release an inspiring new song that celebrates the work of the pioneers of Mars and hopes to inspire us to strive even harder. The idea for the song came up, three months into the covid-19 lockdown, when Opera singer Oscar Castellino in a chat with British artist Linda Shanson in London realized that they could be halfway to Mars, if their home that they were confined to was a spaceship. The journey to Mars did not seem so difficult after all!

Regarding the slogan ... I like it, but the vast majority of people who are likely to earn incomes in careers related to Mars are ** not ** going there.

Like the suppliers to the gold miners in the American Gold Rush, the ** real ** economic winners are going to be all those individuals and companies (and indirectly governments) who support the many expeditions that will be occurring.

A slogan for ** those ** people would (probably) be phrased slightly differently.

In any case, thanks again for giving this new topic a boost!

(th)


Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

Offline

#6 2021-04-16 13:40:20

tahanson43206
Moderator
Registered: 2018-04-27
Posts: 7,298

Re: Poster to Recruit New Members

For Louis re #5

May I inquire if your proposed slogan should read ...

Join the (Metaphorical) Journey to Mars?

(In bold print, of course)

(th)

Offline

#7 2021-04-16 19:05:42

SpaceNut
Administrator
From: New Hampshire
Registered: 2004-07-22
Posts: 23,078

Re: Poster to Recruit New Members

I do not want to be a downer on the posting of something to read but we are inundated with signs just about every where we go with lots of information while its not being updated each day tend to become something that is given no mind as we walk right past it and not even recognize what it just said was no mask no entry, or this door is locked to use the other door on the side of the building...you can put anything you want on them but in short time they are no longer being read.

As much as mars society could help to empower the building of satelite spin off business it seems that they are not wanting to change from a non profit to something more that could aid to make Zubrin's dreams ours as well through making and working on the business aspects that are missing from just about all that have rockets.

Offline

#8 2021-04-16 19:12:35

tahanson43206
Moderator
Registered: 2018-04-27
Posts: 7,298

Re: Poster to Recruit New Members

For SpaceNut re #7

It may have been a while for some forum readers .... as a reminder, Pioneer Astronautics is a for-profit corporation founded by Dr. Zubrin for activities not appropriate for a not-for-profit educational organization.

http://www.pioneerastro.com/about-us/

(th)

Offline

#9 2021-04-16 19:34:32

SpaceNut
Administrator
From: New Hampshire
Registered: 2004-07-22
Posts: 23,078

Re: Poster to Recruit New Members

No actual product for sale that is of commercial deliverable only custom tailored at cost for the small technical group.

Me I would use a sabetier reactor to take waste that is lawn to other materials burnt plus to take my gross well water to turn into fresh drinkable water and methane to heat with during the winter...
This would give practical experience for mars water filtering as my well is full of iron, magnesium, hydrogen sulfide ect making undrinkable let alone for much.

Offline

#10 2021-04-16 20:25:57

tahanson43206
Moderator
Registered: 2018-04-27
Posts: 7,298

Re: Poster to Recruit New Members

OK ... this topic is about designing a poster for recruiting new members to NewMars.

The side excursion into manufacturing/invention is a perfect illustration of the range of possibility available to members.

It is difficult for me (at least right now) to imagine how to capture the essence of that for a poster.

Pessimism about the effectiveness of posters for advertising is noted. 

However, the fact is keeping the light under a bushel guarantees it NEVER is seen by anyone, let alone ignored.

***
Here's an illustration of an organization taking advantage of a misfortune to spread word of one of their products.

The recent demolition of the US Postal service (or whatever happened to it) resulted in partial destruction of the issue of Analog Science Fact and Fiction that has been arriving regularly for decades, with nary a nick in all that time.

I requested a replacement copy by email, and a replacement copy arrived shortly after in a paper envelope.

Today, the regularly scheduled issue arrived, in a thick tearproof plastic see-through envelope.

The publisher took advantage of this new protective envelope to print the mailing address on a full letter sized foldout advertisement for one of their other products.

NewMars doesn't have anything comparable, so the example itself isn't very useful.

What I would like to point out is the (to me astonishing) flexibility that has suddenly happened in this 90 year old publication's "way of doing things".

I attribute a major part of the change to the youth of the editor, who took over recently from one of a long succession of admirable but venerable editors.

There may be something about NewMars that I am not aware of that would lend itself to visibility to a larger subset of the human population than is the case at present.  Perhaps your suggestion of a way of treating well water is a clue worth pursuing.  The need for drinking water is already at crisis levels in much of the world, and with global warming inevitable the need will just keep getting worse.

I'm hoping you will attempt to pursue the idea, although I recognize that "research funds" are limited. 

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-04-16 20:26:31)

Offline

#11 2021-04-16 20:46:28

SpaceNut
Administrator
From: New Hampshire
Registered: 2004-07-22
Posts: 23,078

Re: Poster to Recruit New Members

The water is a by product of making the methane as not all co or co2 will make ch4 as some h2o will happen. That water would be separated from the contaminants that the original water would have since that has been electolysized to make the H2 for the sabetier reactor.
If coal were used for the exhaust co2 gasses to feed into the reaction you would get power, methane and water and a means to concentrate the hazards that are present in the water that is contaminated.

Found these old topics

Mars Needs You - Call for volunteers

Zubrin's Testimony before congress

Send Letter to President - Mars society latest Directive

I would bet there are more such topics....

Offline

#12 2021-04-17 18:36:37

louis
Member
From: UK
Registered: 2008-03-24
Posts: 6,858

Re: Poster to Recruit New Members

Nope...

With that sort of slogan you normally explain under the eye catching phrase what you mean...

So in this case you might have text below (obviously you'd have an image probably of Mars and maybe a Space X style rocket heading there) - saying something like:

"Join in the discussion at New Mars Forums where people are thinking creatively about how we are going to make Mars a second home for humanity."

Maybe sign off with "Your species needs you!" - in mimicry of the old "Your country needs you" WW1 UK posters or "Uncle Sam needs you" (Uncle Mars for USA?).

tahanson43206 wrote:

For Louis re #5

May I inquire if your proposed slogan should read ...

Join the (Metaphorical) Journey to Mars?

(In bold print, of course)

(th)


Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

Offline

#13 2021-04-17 19:27:40

tahanson43206
Moderator
Registered: 2018-04-27
Posts: 7,298

Re: Poster to Recruit New Members

For Louis re #12

Thanks for confirming my skepticism, and replacing it with a clarification that has some interesting features.

My main concern is that for far to many years the reality of preparations to build a civilization on Mars has remained elusive, because no one (that I know of) has a realistic chance of making the journey.  As George Whiteside reminded the 2020 Convention audience in his video, we humans have been re-inventing the wheel for 20 years, and not achieving much.  This forum has countless repeating themes that re-occur because new folks join and propose "new" ideas that have already been thrashed out in previous years.  That almost happened with Noah, but the generous outpouring of pent up knowledge and wisdom bestowed upon him by existing members is just amazing.  I expect (and hope) it will take him a while to digest and organize all that wisdom into a set of plans for members of his generation to carry out.

So, for ** that ** reason, I am not particularly interested in inviting anyone to join the forum to discuss anything.  We should be able to move past that phase, and into the actual planning phase.

The endless arguments about the "best" energy solution need to be replaced by individuals making decisions about the path they want to follow, and then pursuing it wherever it leads, without worrying someone else may think of a better way of doing something.
(th)

Offline

#14 2021-04-18 08:18:24

SpaceNut
Administrator
From: New Hampshire
Registered: 2004-07-22
Posts: 23,078

Re: Poster to Recruit New Members

Noah's topic proves why its so hard....

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB