New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#101 2020-05-21 12:02:52

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

This is for SpaceNut ....

The question I'm going to pose has to do with design of a Deep Space Earth/Mars vessel (Not a Cycler)

The question arises (in my mind at least) because of GW Johnson's work in the Docking with Phobos topic.

A large Deep Space vehicle could provide a sturdy platform for shipment of a 200 MT landing package (ala GW Johnson's concept) AND a safe environment for human crew with full 1 G support via rotating habitat modules on opposite ends of a baton style structure.

What I'm thinking about here is that the human habitat part of the vehicle would be a small part of the overall mass, and the rotating arms would be deployed from stowed position after the vehicle has received the massive shove it needs to leave LEO and depart for Mars via a transfer orbit.

There have been discussions in this forum about proposals to swing entire spaceships around a common center of mass.

This is NOT that.

This is a suggestion of a (relatively) low mass component of a much larger vehicle, which would be dedicated to providing a full 1 G environment for the passengers in the two pods.

So! My question for you is ... do you already have a topic for the discussion of such a concept, or do you want to create a new one?

(th)

#102 2020-05-21 15:55:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

The deep space topic covers much of what you are looking for in architecture of a mission plan of parts and pieces to travel with ion drive, spinning or tumbling to create AG along with a radiation shield and more. Much depends on the parts and what you want all of them to do.

Deep Space Gateway; a bad joke by NASA?

Human Business and flight plan for mars

#103 2020-05-30 09:12:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sorry for the 2 short post as the computer tethering with the cellphone has been exceeded. I still have a week to go before more money is required for the monthly cycle ends or solve how to get more gigabits of data until the cycle date.

#104 2020-05-30 09:23:28

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #103

Thanks for the update, so we understand why your time online is limited.

As a reminder, I am aware of at least one offer to cover your online expenses, and (in addition) I have proposed a collective funding effort to cover your expenses for a year. 

That said, I logged on just now to offer you some encouragement ...

LinkedIn pings me via email periodically,  I use the service sparingly, and they are trying to develop more business.  In their latest epistle, I found the quote below. I thought immediately of your leadership of this forum, which consists of a wide variety of contributors with a wide variety of interests and capabilities.

Idea of the Day: Focus on the questions

By Scott Olster, Editor at LinkedIn

"Knowing all the answers is not what matters. What’s more important as a leader is knowing what question to ask." — Anand Chandrasekher

(th)

#105 2020-05-31 13:34:37

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re agrohimlkn

This "person" may be worth encouraging.

However, their inquiry is in the wrong topic.

I noticed that SpaceNut moved questionable posts like this to another topic.

(th)

#106 2020-05-31 14:28:35

SpaceNut
Administrator

The double post and email address is a clue to wanting something else. There have been others that have made similar requests.

#107 2020-05-31 16:29:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

2 more users with the same cont just checking username with agro* for the forum have email which appears similar in format

#108 2020-05-31 20:04:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

2 more posts
All have now been banned

#109 2020-06-02 14:45:23

tahanson43206

This is a follow up to Post #100

Azure prompted me to "Upgrade" my free trial account.

I've been waiting for Yoda, but I suspect some other interest has captured his attention.

I'd been hoping we could explore the FluxBB package running on Azure in parallel, and with sharing of insights and experiences.

However, that did not happen.  It still could, but I'm less optimistic than I was at the time of Post #100.

Upgrade

Upgrade to continue with your Azure account and avoid losing access to the products you've been using.
Enter a new name for your subscription, select a support plan, and then select Upgrade.
Subscription friendly name
Azure subscription 1
Add a support plan
More details on Support plans
Developer plan$29/month
For developers or teams looking to quickly and effectively get started on Azure, technical support is available weekdays from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM with initial response times under 8 business hours.

Standard plan$100/month
For teams running production applications, get 24x7 technical support and fast initial response times under 2 hours.

Professional Direct plan$1,000/month
For business-critical applications, a cloud advisor provides guidance and advocacy to help improve reliability and optimize costs. You also get 24x7 technical support with the fastest initial response times under 1 hour.

No technical supportFree
No technical support or I'm already covered through Microsoft Premier Support.

I went with the free option (of course)

(th)

#110 2020-06-02 15:50:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

tahanson43206 wrote:

For kbd512 re agrohimlkn

This "person" may be worth encouraging.

However, their inquiry is in the wrong topic.

I noticed that SpaceNut moved questionable posts like this to another topic.

(th)

All of the account starting with agro have been banned. Sorry that the software didn't work out in tandem with Yoda.

#111 2020-06-03 05:30:54

tahanson43206

Today 03:56:33
joelvelzflaske3

For SpaceNut

The post offered by the newly registered ID above seems (to me at least) inappropriate for this forum.

It seems more appropriate for a forum like the Quorum, where folks seems to ask a wide range of questions.

(th)

#112 2020-06-03 15:55:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

Will take a wait and see for follow up responses at this time.

#113 2020-06-06 08:37:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

Back to full strength being able to create a post on a computer rather than a cell phone screen. Its been a little trying and now I can see why twitter users on a cellphone limit the post to 140 characters.
During this time I did review the single I am glad I joined the forum and none have come back to review the website or to repost; so they have been banned. Will continue to use the review of 30 days for a non post user for continuing to close accounts with the banning function.

#114 2020-06-06 09:26:04

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #113

Congratulations on finding a solution for full access!  And thanks for implementing what comes across to me as a sensible way of dealing with the spam artists who seem to be in abundance on the Internet these days.

It's extra work for you, without a doubt! << sigh >>

On the ** other ** hand, your careful pruning of weeds that would otherwise proliferate seems (to me at least) to increase the value of the forum to those who contribute regularly or even occasionally, and perhaps most importantly, to those who read the forum for entertainment or even the occasional moment of enlightenment, such as when GW Johnson, kbd512, RobertDyck or Louis post one of their many top-of-the line posts.

(th)

#115 2020-06-09 17:29:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re posting of images ...

I just made another discovery .... your post:
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 34#p168934

leads off with an image (or something) from a web site that has implemented modern security procedures.

I know that, because I use an older operating system for quite a bit of my work.  The system has the software and features needed, and access to the Internet is of low priority.

However, since the operating system is considered ancient by the rest of the world, it cannot pull up web sites that have fully implemented modern security procedures.

The NewMars forum is operating with relaxed standards, and most of the images posted by members are located on sites that have relaxed standards as well. However, whatever is the target of the first link in your post in Calliban's balloon rocket topic is off limits to my older system.

I'll be able to call it up when I move to a more modern system shortly.

Just FYI ...

Edit#1: That image of a drawing in multiple colors was worth calling up! Thanks!  It showed up just fine on a "modern" OS!

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-06-14 06:11:52)

#116 2020-06-13 20:33:58

SpaceNut
Administrator

I took a look at those from early april up to the 30 day grace of may and performed our account locking bans for just about all that had created accounts since they had not posted or returned to visit the forum since creating them.
Seems like wait and see does not change all that many a would be spammer from using multiple accounts...

#117 2020-06-14 06:11:28

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #116

Thank you for reporting on your gardening efforts!

If you ever get a chance to talk to the Powers that Be, please remind them that they could give you a simple SQL script to run periodically, to ban accounts that are more than 30 days old and which have not posted anything.

Such a script is simple to write, and it would save you a ** lot ** of time.

The script would be something like:

Set ID = Banned Select Date-Created > Now+30 days and Count-of-Posts=0

The exact format will vary depending upon the field names, of course, and the needs of MySQL.

Search Results
Web results

'IF' in 'SELECT' statement - choose output value based on ...stackoverflow.com › questions › if-in-select-statement-c...
Jul 18, 2016
MySQL: update a field only if condition is met ...
6 answers
Jan 29, 2016
More results from stackoverflow.com
7 answers

The format suggested in the line above "update a field" is the one to study.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-06-14 06:17:48)

#118 2020-06-22 08:59:06

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

This post is about the Mars Calendar topic ...

A while back you persuaded me to start showing astronomical data as Mars moves along its orbit.

Recently I started computing the rate of movement along the axis of the centers of gravity of Mars and the Sun.

The result has revealed that Mars is slowing in its approach to the Sun.  That should coincide with an increase in velocity along the orbit, but that is harder for me to see.  The measure of progress in longitude is necessarily quite crude.  All the information provided by the French web site is degrees of longitude shown to the nearest 10th of a degree.

By any chance, are you aware of a web site with a graphic that shows the exact position of Mars with respect to the Sun at the moment of inquiry?

There are lots of web sites (some of which you have shown in earlier posts) that provide graphic depictions of the movement of Mars along its orbit. However, those web sites (that I have seen anyway) make no attempt to show present conditions.  They appear to be for education purposes, and not navigation.

What I'm hoping may exist is a web site that will complement the French web site (which provides detail of position in longitude) with a graphic that shows where Mars is with respect to the Sun at the moment the web site visitor requests the display.

It should be noted that the astronomical web site I am consulting for Mars position information shows Mars against the background of stars and galaxies that (I assume) would appear in a telescope if the telescope were located on Earth.

*** Upon reflection, it occurs to me that the consumer program "Starry Night" may have the capability of providing the graphic display I'm looking for, but that is not an online resource.

Edit#1: Following up ... my copy is so old it is no longer serviced with updates by Starry Night.  Never-the-less, when I asked it to show the Solar System from above, it brought out the relationship between Mars and the Earth is crystal clear form.  I set the display in slow motion, and watched as the optimum launch date for Perseverance arrived, and then as Earth crept up on Mars.

At the scale chosen for the display, the non-circularity of the Mars orbit was visible.  The display made clear that in a (relatively) small number more Sols, Mars will conclude its advance toward the Sun, and begin an outward movement. 

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-06-22 12:18:11)

#119 2020-06-24 12:51:08

tahanson43206

This post is for GW Johnson and his wife .... Best wishes to both of you for the current situation.

Y'all keep us in your thoughts.  My wife is sick,  with the "wrong" symptoms.  I had to take her to get tested for coronavirus.  We won't get the results back until Friday-ish.  But if she has it,  I have it.  If that proves to be the case,  I will be "scarce" for a while.  Assuming she and I survive at all.
GW

This post is also for kbd512, who's been supporting ** his ** wife in a difficult and challenging recovery.

And it is offered for anyone else who is facing challenges right now!

(th)

#120 2020-06-24 15:56:32

GW Johnson
Website

Don't forget Quaoar.  They called him up for front-line health care work in Italy.  He got through it OK,  and was quarantining at home,  last we heard.  I have seen nothing from him in 3-4 weeks now,  though.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#121 2020-06-24 16:31:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

That's true for Quaoar (wellness email check sent) and best wishes for all that are at the frontline battling corona or just in a situation where the risk of catching it is on the rise.
Be safe my Texan friends and hoping that you all get through this safely.
NH is still steady as it goes with slow opening up but when you go out and see the number of people not willing to use a mask you would never know that we had been through a pandemic from the way they are acting.

#122 2020-06-25 01:55:17

elderflower

Good luck to you GW, and to your wife.
Take heart! I had it without respiratory tract problems, but lots of diarrhoea, brain near shutdown and high temperature. My wife either didn't get it or was asymptomatic. I am 72 and she is a little bit younger.

#123 2020-06-25 11:11:07

GW Johnson
Website

Just got the test results minutes ago:  negative!  So we chase other possible causes for her sickness,  but at least the probable death penalty is repealed.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#124 2020-06-25 16:54:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

Keep a watchful eye on health condition for a few more days as it may be in error but hope that its not a false negative.
No one needs to live in fear....

elderflower, when I think I had this last year during the fall my symptom was a buzzing, burning head ache for 7 plus days with a general upper respitory as if coming down with something. Did not run a high fever but was warm. Made use of air disinfecting sprays in sleep area so that one would breath in the mist as if a vaporizer was on. This kept the bug out of the lungs for the most part.

#125 2020-06-28 11:29:59

tahanson43206

This is for GW Johnson ...

This topic is set up to provide a pathway for discussion of off-topic matters, such as system hiccups.

Not too long ago SpaceNut was dealing with communications issues.

Now, from a post in the Orbital Mechanics topic, I understand you are dealing with a balky computer.

It is entirely possible you have plenty of local support, and you will swiftly be back online.

However, ** just in case ** this topic is available if you would wish to present any question about the best way forward.

(th)

Board footer