New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2013-08-28 17:32:00

Gregori

Life might have orginated on Mars

#2 2013-09-06 08:21:02

GW Johnson
Website

Re: Life might have orginated on Mars

This topic is really resonating in the science news right now.  It would appear that the origin of life was a far more complicated thing than we ever guessed,  whether it happened here or there,  or both independently.

That is actually in-line with prior discovery.  Most things have turned out to be a lot different and a lot more complicated than our initial guesses.  Pretty much across-the-board. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#3 2016-09-14 21:29:16

Void

Re: Life might have orginated on Mars

I will put this here.  Not trying to kiss up but G.W.'s take seems open to the possibilities, which I think is appropriate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/scien … type=Blogs
Quote:

What they learn could provide insights into where life could exist elsewhere in the solar system, including Mars.

Microbial Martians might well look like what lives in the rocks here at a deep underground mine.

The same conditions almost certainly exist on Mars. Drill a hole there, drop these organisms in, and they might happily multiply, fueled by chemical reactions in the rocks and drips of water.

“As long as you can get below the ice, no problems,” Dr. Onstott said. “They just need a little bit of water.”

Last edited by Void (2016-09-14 21:31:08)

Done.

Board footer