New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2022-07-16 12:57:22

tahanson43206

Overview of Planned or Possible Unmanned Probes

For SpaceNut re this topic ...

There are 13 pages of topics created by NewMars members over 20 years ...

Not ONE of all those topics was a good fit for the article/media presentation I received from a relative today.

Here is a place where members are welcome to post announcements of new probes that they might discover, if they don't want to create a new topic.

(th)

#2 2022-07-16 12:59:01

tahanson43206

Re: Overview of Planned or Possible Unmanned Probes

The article/media presentation at the link below seems to cover the entire field of planned or possible probes, as of mid-2022.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022/07 … -for-life/

Comments  / additions are welcome.

(th)

#3 2022-07-16 14:32:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Ah the question of SETI or are we alone in this huge immense universe.
JWST while it may not find it directly its showing that we may see it in time. Then we have all of the receiving units listening as well for those signs of life signals.

#4 2022-07-26 03:20:13

Mars_B4_Moon

Tahanson because the region of Space and the Cosmos is almost endless and new fringe ideas is an almost infinite area of exploation I believe this topic could be broken down more and tagged and filed with categories like 'Astro-biological' or Landers or Planetary Moon Sciences.
For example 'Euclid' from ESA seems to be a great idea for an upcoming mission but it will not explore Titan or find life on Mars, SETI and even the fringe UFO-ology stuff is another interesting idea but it is not a lander.

It can become difficult to find hits in a search engine when so many discussions also have discussion of probes or so many other areas of the internet have chat about possible alien life.

JWST is unique in that it is an IR space telescope that can be used to look back into the distant past, the Webb telescope can give us even more info than Hubble and Webb can also look into our own Solar system and explore it.

#5 2022-09-24 13:16:42

Mars_B4_Moon

I don't think that Enceladus mission mentioned in the news article is happening...not yet anyways

Here are a few interesting ideas I have seen in other threads when using the search button this week.
Many ideas from many different peoples
and from Russia it once had in 2003, Venera-D was proposed and many ideas but now almost nothing, mostly blood and time and money put into invasion and war, maybe an orbiter and a lander to be launched in 2279 by a Russian but will Russia even exist anymore? Other nations have many interesting planned ideas coming for unmanned exploration.

The new Lunar vehicle I have seen discussion on a unmanned or maybe manned vehicle for the Moon, it might be a construction digger or Car, GM has designs, Toyota is studying ideas, the S.Koreans are interested, this will have implications for Mars exploration.
Perhaps a Slightly off-topic Car industry, Trains, Boats, Tesla discussion
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9685
China's upcoming MSR mission which might get to Mars and comeback before NASA / ESA I believe the Chinese mission is referred to in news media as 'Tianwen-3'. The NASA MSR is close to the Chinese mission but it looks like China will get there firest on the current timeline and NASA due to return after.
Europa Orbiter or Lander, both studied by NASA and ESA already mentioned in other topics and in news article posted in this thread.
There was a cancelled mission JIMO during the Bush vision years then Europa Clipper became the main NASA mission to Europa and Juice became the ESA version.
Europa discussion
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1509
Return to Titan, there was an idea for a Balloon but it seems it will be 'Dragonfly' a planned spacecraft and NASA mission, which will send a robotic rotorcraft. Enceladus is the sixth-largest moon of Saturn is also an interesting place, maybe the Orbiter could also look there.
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9076
Exploration of planets Neptune, Uranus, Jupiter fly by and other orbiters lots of speculation, JAXA mission OKEANOS, a mission to Jupiter and Trojan asteroids,  trans-Neptunian dwarf planet exploration, members of the inner Oort cloud, 'Interstellar Heliosphere Probe' possibly Nuclear some proposed ideas by NASA and China.
Comet on the Surface or land on an Asteroid, there are ideas for Comet interceptors by Japan and NASA, there are many interesting ideas but they currently seem to be mostly proposals. Lucy and  Psyche Asteroid or Comet missions, Lucy a NASA space probe on a twelve-year journey to eight different asteroids, visiting a main belt asteroid as well as seven Jupiter trojans. There is also 'DART' testing a method of planetary defense against near-Earth objects
Testing a Gravity Wheel or Artificial Gravity in space with mice or insects, this might not be a robot lander and might not be of interest to all other who like robots but it is of interest to me and others, a question I would like answered.
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10339
Mercury, Venus exploration, some currently en route like the BepiColombo mission, India's mission ideas the ISRO Shukrayaan-1 there are also NASA's VICI's proposed payloads to Venus. Studying our own Star the Sun is probably even more important than Planned or Possible Unmanned Probes to Inner Planets.

OSIRIS-REx NASA goes to a carbonaceous near-Earth asteroid, and return the sample to Earth. I believe China has an asteroid-sampling mission planned and Japan might also return samples from one of the Moons of Mars.
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8489

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-09-24 13:40:37)

#6 2022-10-03 22:27:36

Mars_B4_Moon

Board footer