New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-12-10 14:43:47

tahanson43206

kbd512 Postings

This topic is available for any NewMars member who might wish to call attention to a particular post of kbd512.

I'd like to lead off this new topic with a highlight of the post of 2021/12/10, offering perspective on the unique place of Elon Musk in the history of Earth.

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 57#p188557

(th)

#2 2021-12-10 16:32:14

Calliban

Re: kbd512 Postings

Indeed, yes.  One of our greatest contributors and one that I have learned much from.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#3 2021-12-10 19:35:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

This is as good as we can do for the Thumbs up to post made....

#4 2021-12-11 14:55:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thumbs up for the http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 13#p188613 logistics of build and launch site considerations when getting approval from the US alphabet soup of agencies.

#5 2021-12-18 12:24:32

tahanson43206

Thumbs up for http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 90#p188890 by kbd512 on the benefits of cultured meat.

(th)

#6 2021-12-22 17:32:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

solar reality post
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.ph … 44#p189144

you need way more panels than what the business are selling you as they are not compensating for application

#7 2022-01-30 12:14:13

tahanson43206

kbd512 is famous (in NewMars circles) for long, detailed, often emphatic posts.  Often these are worth bookmarking for their value for reference.

However, in the post below, kbd512 has set a new record in the opposite direction ...

For sheer punch, with the smallest possible number of words, I hereby nominate:
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 80#p190680

(th)

#8 2022-01-30 14:01:06

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

Well, there wasn't much more to be said about that topic.  If you want to know the outcome then you have to do the actual experiment, not some petri dish version of it.  I'm reasonably sure that all adults know how and don't require any government oversight.  First figure out if there's an actual problem before worrying about how to "solve it".  The absolute best way to resolve that question is to have a child on the moon or Mars.  If the child is healthy, then it doesn't matter in the slightest what medical scientists think about that.

If social and hard sciences want to improve outcomes for humanity, then they can cease and desist with their idiotic and self-destructive practice of inculcating anti-social personality traits in children, and stop inviting anti-humanists / nihilists / communists into their "science programs".  The fake outrage / fake science / real misogyny / real misandry / real nihilism / real anti-humanism are incalculably greater threats to humanity's continued existence, both here on Earth and anywhere else we choose to go, than bearing a child under gravitational conditions of less than 9.8 meters per second per second.  Science can't solve social issues, because science can only ever tell us "what is", never how to apply "what is" in a way that's useful to the individual / society / humanity writ large.

#9 2022-02-21 10:39:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

I happened on the post of automobile survival kit prep which applies other more but its a well put together list.

#10 2022-03-03 02:10:29

clark

1. i personally respect kbd
2. this is fuc&king stupid

#11 2022-03-03 07:53:38

Calliban

Agreed post #8.  Eventually, children will be born in low G environments, assuming we ever get that far.  We will then have first hand information on how it effects fetal and postnatal development.  I cannot see it being catastrophic in the case of Mars.  The problem is that people naturally tend to lose calcium and develop bone porosity problems as they age.  If they start out with lower density bones due to lower G, then osteoporosis may be an even bigger health problem on Mars than it is on Earth.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#12 2022-03-03 08:01:40

louis

Osteoporosis as an issue in zero G has, from everything I have read, been resolved through a combination of space medicine, "vacuum trousers" and exercise regimes Presumably with 0.38 G on Mars it will be even less of a problem there. I think the foetal development issues are far more complex.  There has been evidence of foetal damage, probably relating to embryonic parts being unable to orientate themselves in Zero G but again, it might be that 0.38 G is sufficient to overcome that.  I have suggested before that it might become established practice for first trimester women to conceive in orbital 1G and stay up there for 3 months, as it is likely the earlier development stages are the most vulnerable.

Calliban wrote:

Agreed post #8.  Eventually, children will be born in low G environments, assuming we ever get that far.  We will then have first hand information on how it effects fetal and postnatal development.  I cannot see it being catastrophic in the case of Mars.  The problem is that people naturally tend to lose calcium and develop bone porosity problems as they age.  If they start out with lower density bones due to lower G, then osteoporosis may be an even bigger health problem on Mars than it is on Earth.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#13 2022-11-27 17:45:24

tahanson43206

SearchTerm:gasoline solar manufacture of

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 96#p203696

In the post at the link above, kbd512 summarizes earlier more detailed posts.

Estimates of costs and income are provided.

Google came up with these snippets, when asked to find projects that cost $250 billion

Why China is investing $250 billion in Latin America
www.washingtonpost.com › news › monkey-cage › 2015/02/04 › why-chi...
Feb 4, 2015 · Most recently, China pledged to invest $250 billion in the region over the next 10 years. But why has China decided to make such a sizable ...

Apple is America's richest company that isn't a bank, with ... - Vox
www.vox.com › new-money › apple-250-billion-cash

May 2, 2017 · In addition to its $250 billion in cash on hand, Apple is earning around $4 billion per month in profits.
ESG index funds hit $250 billion as US investor role in boom grows
www.cnbc.com › 2020/09/02 › esg-index-funds-hit-250-billion-as-us-inve...

Sep 2, 2020 · Impact investing index funds have topped $250 billion, and the U.S. market is ... For example, the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund
$250 billion in 'rebalancing' inflows could rescue stocks by the end ...
www.marketwatch.com › Markets › The Tell

May 28, 2022 · Buying from mutual funds, pension funds and sovereign wealth funds is overdue, the bank's strategists say.
U.S. Investing $250 Billion in Banks - The New York Times
www.nytimes.com › Business › Economy

Oct 13, 2008 · Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson Jr. told nine leading bankers they would have to accept government investment for the good of the U.S. ...
Annual Return on Investment Calculator | Ameriprise Financial
www.ameriprise.com › financial-news-research › investment-return-calcula...

This investment returns calculator can help you estimate annual gains. Learn if you're on track to meet your long-term goals.

Watch This Is What $250 Billion Actually Looks Like - WIRED
www.wired.com › video › this-is-what-250-billion-actually-looks-like

May 10, 2017 · [Narrator] Apple announced. their quarterly financial results. and revealed that they have a ...
Duration: 1:58
Posted: May 10, 2017

CNY checks all the boxes for $250 billion federal tech investment ...
www.syracuse.com › opinion › 2021/06 › cny-checks-all-the-boxes-for-25...

Jun 27, 2021 · Region can compete for semiconductor site, research hub and 5G priorities funded by Schumer's U.S Innovation and Competition Act.
[PDF] Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 (IRA): Department of Energy Loan ...
crsreports.congress.gov › product › pdf

Aug 5, 2022 · guarantee commitment authority would increase for both programs, including $250 billion for a temporary Section 1706 loan guarantee ...

Related searches
Pension fund rebalancing dates 2022
$250 billion
Month-end pension rebalancing

(th)

#14 2023-08-22 15:35:11

Calliban

Kbd512 has not posted for a while.  Has anyone heard from him?  Is he OK?

#15 2023-08-22 17:29:37

tahanson43206

For Calliban ... you can catch up with kbd512 via the Zoom postings.

He's super busy with work and challenges of home ownership, and still found time to help out over the weekend.

(th)

#16 2023-10-01 17:18:50

tahanson43206

kbd512 just put a comprehensive review of several generations of armored vehicles into the x-36 topic.  It was an answer to my question about possible use of rocket powered vehicles to move armor from ship to shore.

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 20#p214320

(th)

#17 2023-10-02 13:03:01

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

I'm not sure how comprehensive that was, I'm merely noting all the things which have been tried in the past to gain greater battlefield mobility.

#18 2023-10-15 06:13:41

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re updates to Electric Airplane and Flying Car topics...

Thanks for your substantial contributions to both those topics.

Your presentation on the flexibility of CNT is helpful.

In particular, thanks for the insight that the revolving drum propeller might have been invented by the Russians years ago.

As I think about it, a design like that is in daily use in air conditioning installations.

The pitch of the blades in those rotors is fixed, but the rate or rotation appears to be under computer control.

(th)

#19 2023-10-23 07:33:57

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re Google Meet...

Please create a Google Meet link at meet.google.com.

Then, please post the link in the top post of the new Google Meet topic.

If you are host, simply announce that you are opening the link in the Google Meet topic.

You can admit guests, or you can set the account to admit guests without review.

(th)

#20 2023-11-08 15:28:27

tahanson43206

This post is to note a post  by kbd512 in the Glucose topic ...

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 17#p215717

This post is another of many fact filled posts created by kbd512 in support of many different topics.

This one includes (as just one example) why excess H2 is used in an H2/LOX engine to help to keep the temperature inside the rocket engine below the point at which it would melt the material of which the components of the engine are made.

(th)

#21 2024-01-10 08:09:26

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re subscription to Exrocketman1 YouTube channel

Thanks again for your assistance in reaching this point!   The first break through was your observation that PowerPoint supports making movies, and in the most recent 90 minute push, we achieved re-activation of the Exrocketman1 account.

I'm hoping we (NewMars) can find an audience for the educational videos that (I'm hoping) GW will be creating as a spinoff from his existing course on Basic Orbital Mechanics.   It will take a while to put all that material up on YouTube, but the result should then be available for use by a global audience.

(th)

#22 2024-02-19 12:30:40

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re link to video on replacement for Haber-Bosch...

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 15#p219515

Thanks for that ** very ** interesting link! 

I wonder how many NewMars members can pronounce the names of those chemicals.

The comments went on for some length.

I left the video with the impression this ** should ** lead to a major industrial process, but with doubts that it can be lifted from laboratory demo.

It was definitely interesting that all the work on lithium batteries had the side benefit of a reaction that helps with the lithium activity.

I ** liked ** the idea of re-using the lithium, and using air and water (plus energy of course) to deliver ammonia.

Please watch for articles that explore this topic in a deeper level than the high level overview of the article.

If this idea is as good as the presenter makes it sound, it should receive substantial funding, ** if ** there is a pathway toward industrial scale use.

(th)

#23 2024-02-26 07:28:35

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re multiple items ...

First, thanks for your support of the new initiative to evaluate possible new Index level forums

Second, I'd like to note that the talents and interests of our members is a factor in the choices we make about possible new Index level forums

Third, a new Index level for military related topics seems worth considering.

Fourth... thanks for your review of the optimum preparation a wise King would want to make, to protect aircraft carriers

I hope we are (collectively) hard at work identifying every possible target on the mainlands of our potential adversaries.

I ** also ** hope we are (collectively) trying to build, deploy and maintain all the equipment that is needed.

It appears to me that we (our military that is) has been collecting  target data about Yemen for some time, because (per reports) a large number of precisely targeted strikes have already occurred to remove selected items from the Yemeni inventory.  A great deal more work is needed in that specific case, but the cost of munitions must be a factor in decision making. As you pointed out, we do not want to exhaust our inventory of weapons taking out the entire Yemeni capability.

In the interest of promoting the Military Index level, I'll add a new Prototype topic.

(th)

#24 2024-02-28 21:16:47

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re development of the Prototype Military topic ....

Thanks for the reminder of where your interests lie.  You have that part of the future wide open, if you will turn to planning military organizational structure for Mars.  You may be able to recruit someone better suited for strategic thinking. 

Your style of presentation seems to me to have a lot of potential to attract and retain an audience. however, there are minor additions you could make, if you have time ...

Tell em what you're gonna tell em.
Tell em
Tell em what you told em.

I remember that from some training somewhere.

Your presentations appear to me to be written for a person with equivalent capabilities.

Not everyone has those capabilities.

My guess is that your presentations to the officers were organized along Navy lines, but I'll bet they included those three essential elements.

If you don't presently have the needed knowledge to plan a strategy for Mars planetary defense, you are young enough to acquire it. 

The military leadership at Mars is going to be dealing with a variety of ** really ** diverse groups from Earth initially, and then splinter groups over time.

The Chinese are experimenting with total knowledge of population activities using electronic devices and a huge staff.  I don't ** know ** this, but I'm guessing the Chinese are not likely to be embarrassed by wide scale insurrection.

Islam became the target of a vigorous eradication procedure, but the European Christian religions were taken over and domesticated long ago.  The Chinese appear to have a reasonably good idea of how to manage a large population. 

My impression is that if people descend into violence, it is because all the processes that should have been in place to prevent that outcome have failed.

However, if violence happens, then winning ruthlessly and efficiently would seem (to me at least) to be a reasonable policy.

The Israelis are ** trying ** to achieve that in Gaza, but the "ruthless" part is not without consequences.

(th)

#25 2024-02-29 15:45:11

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

I think most of the tasks of a Mars Defense Force will involve policing actions to contend with disputes or domestic violence between colonists.  To the extent that a military force is even present, it would likely involve keeping invaders off the surface of Mars or away from the various different colonies.  Deeply buried settlements will be relatively immune from orbital bombardment, and I think the surface environment is harsh enough that underground living will be required.

I'm a bit baffled as to why the Chinese government should be worried about their own embarrassment, rather than how their own people are treated by their society and government.  The moment your government starts murdering its own people because either the society itself or its leadership is so fragile that it cannot withstand legitimate criticisms, that means your government is out of ideas and arguments as to why it should continue to exist, and only continues to exist using a monopoly on violence to continue to exist.  When that monopoly is inevitably lost, the same ugly process plays out, except it's directed against those in power.  Even if your people are dedicated communists, which apparently none of them are in actual practice, hence the never-ending corruption cases brought against members of the state, if the people have zero say in how they're lead and treated, then that only reinforces the idea that their government is a tyrannical illegitimate cabal of criminals that shouldn't continue to exist.

If the Chinese "total knowledge" of their population consists of how to continue to them oppress, then their society is ultimately doomed.  The people in power in China are not the deep thinkers that the our own communists falsely attempt to portray them as being.  They're far more interested in their own power and self-aggrandizement than in their peoples' future.  You see it in everything they do.  They're so terrified of losing power that they squander what they do have searching for the next way to prevent the inevitable.  That's why they're destined to fail.  China's population will drop to 600 billion in another 40 years or so.  Brilliant military strategists with centuries of history and culture... playing the "long game"... without a replacement population to make things, or more people, apparently.  I don't see a future for our communists and nihilists.  They're dying a gruesome death at their own hands.

China's 5,000 years of history are ruthlessly violent warring factions slaughtering huge numbers of people, with brief interruptions where external forces, such as the Mongols, repeated that pattern of behavior.  In more modern times, the communists took over to do more of the same.  The worse they make life for the average Chinese person, which is the only thing communists have ever given to humanity, the faster their reign of terror will come to an end, or the people they sought to lord their power over go extinct.

What we're witnessing today is large numbers of peoples and cultures around the world going extinct for lack of any unifying principles or ethos to live by, nor logos to give meaning to their lives.  I happen to like the fact that I can go to China and see Chinese culture and people.  I don't like seeing what these pointless ideological endeavors have done to people.  Rather than using the power of government to lift as many people up as it can, communist authoritarianism seeks their blind obedience and servility unto the point of fomenting its own demise.  This is the age of unreason, which partially explains the resurgence of religion.

Islam leads the eradication target of Islam, for the most part, and sometimes other parties are drawn into their unreason.  The never-ending feud between Sunni and Shia have killed far more practitioners of Islam than any other religion ever has or likely ever will.

What the Israelis are doing in Gaza is every bit as disgusting as what the Palestinians did to the Israelis.  There was one right decision to make, so very long ago, and that was bringing all the Jews to the United States, rather than rubber stamping a plan to leave them fighting with a bunch of Islamist Arabs who probably hate them as much as the most fervent nazis ever did.  They won't leave, because that patch of dirt is the ancestral Jewish homeland from the Bible, but I don't know how it can be worth the human cost on both sides.  Arming the Arabs was an equally idiotic idea.  We should've told them we'll do business and buy oil if we can, but maintain our own domestic supply, so that if there's ever a conflict, we cease doing business with them.

I think the Israelis have come full circle, though.  In the 1940s, the nazis were the concentration camp guards.  In the 2020s, now that everyone who was alive to know what happened is dead, they've switched roles, and now the Jews are the camp guards.  The fanaticism of the national socialists and socialists continues has been a cancer on humanity for the past century.  Everybody debates going back and killing "baby Hitler" if they had a time machine.  They should probably be debating going back and killing "baby Engels" and "baby Marx".  Hitler was yet another follower of brain-dead socialist / communist idiocy, but Hitler thought he was "a very different kind of socialist."  Maybe in his own mind, but from where I'm sitting there's not a dime's worth of difference between Adolf Hitler, Iosef Stalin, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot, Kim Il Sung, Che Guevara, Fidel Castro, and all the rest of their ilk.

Violence is never about who is right or what is best, it's only ever been about who is left.  The entire reason the US has invested so heavily into warfare is that only the most belligerent and unreasonable people would still be left if we hadn't.  It's not because those of us who live here in America are terribly interested in the affairs of others, so long as they leave us out of it, but they never do.  I take that as a sign pointing to our place in the world.  We're not supposed to be so engrossed in the affairs of others that we cannot rationalize what is happening.  We may have interests that align with others from time to time, but that is not our ultimate purpose or goal.

Board footer