New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2021-10-27 17:35:26

louis

Re: JOBS Jobs Jobs why are there none

As far as Mars goes the last thing we'll want to be doing is sending out chefs and waiters from Earth at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars to live in a high tech environment that they may not feel too good about in any case.

Restaurants on Mars should really be 99% robotic including food delivery, food storage, food prep, cooking, waiting on tables, washing up and cleaning. I'm not sure they would even need permanent staff - maybe a team of people would check on a whole series of restaurants ensuring that hygiene standards are all good. I think personally I'd be happy with a robot restaurant. I know some people feel the need to assert their status through being waited on by human beings. I don't feel that need at all. I am interested in the quality of the food and the ambience. I can imagine a base on Mars within the first 20 years where the pioneers had a choice of robot restaurants to eat in and that is probably where most people would eat of an evening. Ideally I think restaurants would have a view over the Mars landscape.

I've referenced Moley robotics several times here. But this might be closer to the reality of restaurants on Mars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z26tJeeI6cU

kbd512 wrote:

I just watched a Miso Robotics commercial demonstrating a robot preparing pretty much all of the food in a fast food restaurant's kitchen.

There might be a $15 minimum wage for 1 or 2 employees per shift, but they will be the only people getting paid.

As soon as the robotics companies figure out how to reliably package the food, then it'll be 1 employee per shift.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#52 2021-10-27 18:18:44

tahanson43206

For Louis re #51

Your post is interesting and insightful (for me at any rate).

After pondering your thoughts for a few minutes, it came to me that the second generation will be born with the familiar bell curve of talents, abilities and interests. The economy of Mars will require a high proportion of very smart and very productive people, but not everyone born into that society will be able to operate at that level.  Personal service will become a convenient way to earn a living.  The first generation may see robotic kitchens as you suggest, but just as soon as a cadre of folks arrive on the scene who would be willing to fill the roles of personal services, there will be plenty of opportunities.

Meanwhile, robotics will advance at a furious pace.  Personal robots are highly likely to be available to top tier consumers on Earth in a decade, or two at the most.  Eventually they'll become affordable for middle tier earners.

Thanks again for an interesting forecast!

(th)

#53 2021-10-27 18:37:00

kbd512
Administrator

Louis,

I go to restaurants to interact with other people, to see and talk to them, not to assert that I'm any better or worse than them.  It's the same reason to go to a bar, or a movie, or a sports game, or a convention, or to see family members and friends, etc.  I wait on people all the time, and unless they specifically try to belittle me, I presume that the interaction is for sake of the interaction, aka, "part of being human".

#54 2021-10-27 18:51:24

louis

I wasn't suggesting people go to restaurants alone on Mars! It's just they won't need to interact with staff. Via mobile phones or equivalents, they will simply be able to order up their meals which will be delivered by robots to their tables. As always a major part of the experience will be for most people who you are with.  But I think a lot of effort will be put into creating a nice atmosphere on Mars using music, vegetation, lighting. and vistas. I think it's naive not to think that part of what you pay for on Earth when you visit a restaurant is for staff to act as though you have superior status. I say "act" adivsedly as in most restaurants staff probably don't feel that the customers have superior staff - they just realise the acting is part of the deal.  With more elite restaurants it's a different dynamic. The staff do indeed know the clientele have higher social status.

kbd512 wrote:

Louis,

I go to restaurants to interact with other people, to see and talk to them, not to assert that I'm any better or worse than them.  It's the same reason to go to a bar, or a movie, or a sports game, or a convention, or to see family members and friends, etc.  I wait on people all the time, and unless they specifically try to belittle me, I presume that the interaction is for sake of the interaction, aka, "part of being human".

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#55 2021-10-27 19:33:20

kbd512
Administrator

Louis,

That sounds much better, but that's not what I responded to and not what you stated in Post #51.  Going to a restaurant is not lording your status over anyone.

Cleaning your own room is about setting your own house in order.

Growing or building something is about your connection to the physical world.

Serving others is about valuing other people enough to help them.

This obsession with technology disconnecting us from what makes us human may solve certain problems, but it creates entirely new ones.

#56 2021-10-27 20:19:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

Nah just walk up to the food replicator and grab your own tray....

#57 2021-11-06 08:24:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

https://www3.forbes.com/leadership/the- … nt=NEWS_US

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf said employers need to 'stop asking why there is a labor shortage' and 'start asking how we can make jobs better'

One of my sons has relocated to Texas and he applied the other day for a cook manager position and before the day was done he received a call to come interview. He said it went well and is now waiting to hear to see when to start.
Around here that is short hand for do not call us well call you dismissal for no....

#58 2021-11-06 09:56:35

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #67

Texas is most ** definitely ** NOT New Hampshire!  I expect your son will receive a start date shortly.

His only concern would be the competition for the position.  I'm struggling to remember the optimum protocol for handling a situation like this.  It ** seems ** to me that a follow up call to the interviewer is not out of line.

I think that 48 hours is enough time to wait.  That way the interviewer has had time to evaluate the entire set of candidates and try to guess which one is the best fit for the company.

In any case, best wishes for success for your son in this immediate opportunity, and in a career in food preparation and delivery.  It is not out of the question to aim to open a restaurant after a few years learning the business.

This thought is fresh on my mind because a local restaurant was recently featured in a national food publication. The owner of the restaurant started as a line chef in (I believe) South Carolina, and he learned a distinctive line of Southern Dishes that he is now offering in this northern location.  According to the interview I heard yesterday, the restaurant has grown to 23 employees after surviving having started in the middle of the Covid lock down.

Your son might easily learn a Texas style of cuisine that would be well received back in New Hampshire some day.

(th)

#59 2021-11-06 16:40:29

SpaceNut
Administrator

He is already experience in this area of work as he has worked at McDonalds, Burger King, Papa Ginos, Freindlies restarant ect...this is about finding work to start pay checks coming in why job shopping in the local area.
This is one of my smarter children so he knows that he needs to keep looking and not to settle for a just getting by wage income.

#60 2021-11-12 19:02:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

No calls yet with all the help wanted I guess they are not really needing help...just looking for new employees that will work for less as that is usually the case up here.

So where did all the employees go.. retired comes to mind. Fearful that they would not get to see those golden years.

Goldman just figured out why the labor shortage will last for a long time: 60% of the missing workers retired, many for good about 2.5 million of those people retired,

A Friday note from Goldman Sachs researchers led by Jan Hatzius finds that 3.4 million of the people who left the labor force - meaning they're not working or aren't actively looking for work - are over 55. Roughly 1.5 million of them were early retirements, and 1 million were normal retirements.

#61 2021-11-12 19:12:07

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post #60

Today's Internet feed included an item about robot purchases .... I wasn't going to say anything about it, but your post here gave me incentive to mention it...

The article (that I just scanned) was about massive purchases of robots by US companies due to labor shortages.

I'm surprised by your report that your son's requests/inquiries for work were not rewarded with a call back.

Is there a need for a restaurant in the area where he is now?  Why settle for working for someone else, when he could become a job ** creator ** instead of a job ** holder ** ???

Is there a franchise operator that wants to expand into that area?

(th)

#62 2021-11-12 19:30:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

mostly to keep workers away from patrons

8c8c4a28907d6694dba2eb1c4129eebb

initial call back was for an interview but when you leave and there is no offer for employment that is the brushoff.. don't call us we will call you.

#63 2021-11-13 07:48:26

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #62

All we know (from the report I saw) is that US companies are investing rapidly in robots.  I would imagine only a small percentage of those are for retail applications, but since we have no data to work with, we are just speculating.

One thing seems clear ... there ** are ** job opportunities for those who can design, install, maintain and provide education about robots.

Someone with years of experience in the food industry might be a good candidate to install food service robots, and maintain good customer relationships with the restaurants by providing excellent service over years.

The idea that the only way to earn a living is by working for someone else seems to be firmly burned into the brains of Americans. It is primarily immigrants who start new businesses (I gather) because they have not yet been indoctrinated to believe that working for someone else is the only way to earn a living in the US.

(th)

#64 2021-11-13 08:45:40

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re topic ....

In post #63 I noted the possibility that immigrants are much more likely to found new companies than are native Americans.

After a few minutes of reflection, I think I understand why that is (if it is the case).

Americans have built up such a smooth running set of procedures to manage work flows, that most Americans are drawn into the "norm" and just assume that "everybody" gets a job so I should do the same as everyone else.

In other countries, where the institutions are weak or barely exist at all, everyone (or most folks) ** have ** to work for themselves.  The people I am thinking about are visible in video showing markets in Asia and the Middle East.  They do NOT work for someone else.  They acquire products and market them directly to customers.

In the West, we have vestiges of that practice ... we have a few occasional farmer's markets.

We have a few locations where single business people can set up shop, but I don't see much evidence of success in the ones I've visited.

The impression I'm coming away with (after thinking about the situation) is that America has accidentally created a system that deprives citizens of the opportunity to consider any possibility for life other than working for someone else.

It is entirely possible that everyone any member of this forum knows is a job holder and NOT a job creator.

I'm starting to wonder if this is a sickness and not something to be praised.

(th)

#65 2021-11-14 19:04:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

When you are unable to find work then you look to sub contracting and contract with the final straw is self employment or in this case a family business. One starts by providing a needed service and grow it into something more. It could be cutting lawns or other such activity but that is what is being done.

Right now we have plenty of jobs but so many are not filling them and going to higher wages without compensating the long term employee means another round is coming with those that leave due to knowing that others are being paid more.

With the higher wages being passed onto the consumer in most cases. But is that driving the inflation we are seeing on everything?
I believe some of this is still the tariffs which have not gone away. Sure prices could go back down but so far history says no....

Its hard to believe this is a case of supply and demand price jacking.

New jobs on the horizon for coal country The new steel? Hope and fear as a new plastics factory rises in Appalachia

Today, just a 10-minute drive away, a new industry is rising from the banks of the Ohio River: Royal Dutch Shell's multibillion-dollar ethane "cracker," an industrial complex that heats ethane, a component of natural gas, and "cracks" it into ethylene, a building block for plastic. Krizan, who found a second career in commercial trucking, is one of the about 8,000 temporary laborers who report to the cracker daily. He transports fuel, driving across the massive complex to supply an average of 10,000 gallons a day.

When it launches next year, the Pennsylvania Petrochemicals Complex will make 1.6 million metric tons a year of what many say the world needs less of: the plastic pellets that will become plastic products, from sports gear to shrink wrap.

#66 2021-11-15 04:18:05

Calliban

tahanson43206 wrote:

For SpaceNut re #62

All we know (from the report I saw) is that US companies are investing rapidly in robots.  I would imagine only a small percentage of those are for retail applications, but since we have no data to work with, we are just speculating.

One thing seems clear ... there ** are ** job opportunities for those who can design, install, maintain and provide education about robots.

Someone with years of experience in the food industry might be a good candidate to install food service robots, and maintain good customer relationships with the restaurants by providing excellent service over years.

The idea that the only way to earn a living is by working for someone else seems to be firmly burned into the brains of Americans. It is primarily immigrants who start new businesses (I gather) because they have not yet been indoctrinated to believe that working for someone else is the only way to earn a living in the US.

(th)

It may have something to do with the fact that the people most likely to get green cards are educated professionals.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#67 2021-11-16 21:24:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

Older workers are 'unretiring' after leaving the workforce during the pandemic

I guess the nest egg of social security could not pay the bills or they got bored being home all of the time.

#68 2021-11-18 20:07:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Son is still looking for work but not getting anything yet...
The number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits fell for the seventh straight week to a pandemic low 268,000
Seems that not all of the help wanted really are in need or they would hire those seeking work.

CVS Plans To Close 900 Stores In The Next 3 Years

#69 2021-11-18 20:13:09

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

What kind of job is he looking for?

#70 2021-11-25 15:38:29

SpaceNut
Administrator

Son indicates still getting calls for interviews but like this article calls out its an employee controlled market at this point.

The CEO of a solar-panel company said he scheduled 8 interviews looking for a new electrician, but only 2 candidates showed up

This is where the company where Montana Busch, CEO of Alternative Energy Southeast in northern Georgia.

Busch said that Alternative Energy Southeast had 25 employees but would ideally like 10 more.

"There's just an unlimited amount of work in solar," he said, adding that demand is surging because customers want installation work completed before the end of the fiscal year so they can claim tax credits.

Busch said that he'd raised starting wages to around $13 an hour for new solar installer hires with no experience, and to $16 or $17 for people with some experience in the construction industry. He said he also offered healthcare and paid holidays.

But one of the biggest obstacles was that job seekers don't realize that you don't need a college degree to work in the solar industry, Busch said.

"Solar is something that can be done right out of high school," he said. "There seems to be an impetus that you have to go to college to get a good paying job, and that's just not true."

Solar installers can undertake an apprenticeship or get on-the-job training, Busch said. But solar installers need at least a year of training and supervision before they can work completely independently, meaning companies can't immediately deploy new hires on installations by themselves, he said. This meant that fixing the industry's labor shortage was a slow process, he said.

Wondering how long until you are licensed where you can make a greater amount of money for doing the same work...

Then again you can take the job and do this A Colorado liquor-store owner says workers are quitting after one shift if they don't like it because they know they can get a new job on their lunch break

Decades of low wages and a lack of career progression, Long shifts, unpleasant customers, inconsistent scheduling that made home life hard, poor communication, unrealistic expectations, and looming punishment for not meeting certain standards is the end-all of healthy work dynamics.

If you were lucky when you factored in extra benefits – overtime, bonuses, pensions, employee discounts, medical, disability, and life insurance – workers felt like the futures of them and their families were taken care of even with a low wage but the benefits are shrinking or disappearing.

#71 2021-12-05 16:58:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

With the US education you start school in kindergarten and you progress to the point to where you graduate High School as a senior grade 12. So goggle of "high school education for business creation" turns up things that are summer or after school programs...as written from a university level of how to create in the high school environment. With all the required classes and schools cutting back on funding for electives its no wonder there is none of these in existence. As schools are already removing shop classes, automotive, welding, music, arts, ect from there educational base.

Colleges are geared to give education with in a field of endevour but that is not even close to teaching as they are professing that they know the information to you. Even business classes are oriented to get you a job and not really to make them.

https://www.eiu.edu/youtheducators/Star … sfinal.pdf
10 Steps to Creating a High School Entrepreneurship Class     

https://gatewaycfs.com/education/busine … gh-school/

https://www.crimsoneducation.org/us/blo … eneurship/

https://beta-bowl.com/how-to-start-a-bu … gh-school/

#72 2021-12-05 17:52:41

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Apprenticeships are what teach real business skills to people, not college, not high school.  Teachers have no significant experience with business, because in one way, shape, or form, they all work for the government.  Government provides pots of money for specific purposes, whereas business demands doing a job better / cheaper / faster than the competition, in order to secure contracts.

#73 2021-12-10 13:10:21

Void

So, it is possible that there may be a few job openings:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/watch/el … d=msedgdhp
Quote:

Tesla CEO Elon Musk is "thinking of" leaving his jobs and becoming an influencer, the world's richest man tweeted on Thursday. Fred Katayama reports.

Well, I guess we will find out if, and then if, what?

I think the dude should think about doing somethings more comfortable for him.  He has served like a champion.

Hope he can still make stuff happen that is similar good.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/influencer

https://influencermarketinghub.com/what … nfluencer/

OK, he may enjoy, lots....

Done.

Last edited by Void (2021-12-10 13:15:31)

Done.

#74 2021-12-10 13:21:47

Calliban

I think Musk is trying to offload as much Tesla stock as possible without spooking the market, before the next big crash.  The old chestnut of wanting to retire and be a influencer is part of that.  A nice little cover for why he is now selling off as much Tesla stock as quickly as possible.  The fact is that the wealthy are dumping stock because they all know what is coming: 2008 part 2.

Last edited by Calliban (2021-12-10 13:25:57)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#75 2021-12-10 14:09:25

kbd512
Administrator

Calliban,

Market trends are cyclical in nature, and almost entirely driven by irrational human responses to emotions and beliefs without evidence.  That is gambling, plain and simple.  The markets will eventually crash, and then they will rise again.  Over time, though, the trend has only gone in one direction- up!

I'm hoping that Elon Musk doesn't give up on his dream, because I can't see anyone else doing what he does.  There are no other "Elon Musks" out there to be had.  He was this "strange but wonderful" once-in-a-generation gift from the technology gods.  People like him are one-of-a-kind custom creations, never available in "stores near you".

What he really needs are like-minded minions who can be trusted to pursue the end goal, yet still think outside the box, so that they can take some of the burden off of him.  He should be able to go home and enjoy his wife and kids, same as so many others do.  Work is good when you enjoy both the process and the end result, yet only people have lasting value, and no man is an island.  I think he needs some time to recharge, and I think making his vision a reality is more work than he could have possibly imagined.  It's far too much for one man to take on.

Board footer