New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#376 2006-02-09 03:52:40

Josh Cryer

Re: I'll take malaprops for *5* Bob - Apropos of Nothing continues. . .

As far as I understand, he put a degree on his resume, he didn't have it, his resume was faulty. While I agree with the sentiment that degrees are mostly paper, I think that it was disingenious for him to lie about having one, and I think that being fired over lying is well deserved.

Not that being a propaganda piece for the current admin necessitates any sort of degree.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#377 2006-02-09 06:33:56

clark

Not that being a propaganda piece for the current admin necessitates any sort of degree.

I dunno, I believe it requires a certain degree of flexibility with the truth.

I keep a pet man in the basement. No, it is not the one eyed hobo. I had to release him back into the wild. [sniff].

#378 2006-02-09 08:32:58

Rxke

Aaaw, Clark, no more predicitons then?

Or is the man some kind of jabbering oracle too?

#379 2006-02-09 13:13:22

clark

One eyed hobo says the Falcon I will succeed and all will be surprised after Falcon 9 launches the Bigelow package.

Do not ask for more, lest you tempt the Fates.  lol

#380 2006-02-14 10:28:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

I am sure that the One Eyed oracle saw this coming [url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11331144/]Identity tags implanted under workers' skin;
Tiny silicon chips work like an access card you can never lose[/url] But I did not see it coming that there would be willing volunteers to test this technology this way...

#381 2006-02-14 11:25:29

clark

Well, tattooing bar codes on people is generally considered 'oppressive'.

This is all part and parcel of an anonymous society. Personally, I welcome our new silicon overloards.

#382 2006-02-15 12:31:37

Earthfirst

Tattooing barcodes on people does not work because the tattoo lines are not even. The tattoo artist can't make a perfect line enough for a scanner to work on it. Also the skin moves arounds and streghes as it gets old. Putting a barcode tattoo on your self is more of a art statement then control.
A better way is to have micro chips placed just under the skin, the chip could have solar panels to power it because lots of light can go through your skin. Hold a flash light up to your hand in the dark, lots of light can get in. If near the surface of skin it would work well.
I had the same idea of solar panels under the skin to power a pace maker, then old men would be forced to walk around with their shirts open.

I love plants!

#383 2006-02-16 06:22:50

clark

I prefer simple methods to complex ones.

Lets all just wear name tags.

Either that or just staple our god forsaken drivers liscense to our foreheads. Whatever.

#384 2006-02-16 07:54:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

It is either that or SSN or some other marker to identify the individual.
But this goes farther towards the Big Brother mentallity of you are being watched. In this day of terror coming from many places even using this type of tracking still would lead to an underground movement to remove them.

#385 2006-02-16 08:11:00

clark

I AM NOT A NUMBER!

Unless I am at the deli. Then I am usually number 92.

#386 2006-02-16 08:16:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

I agree Clark for I usually am one of the other 91 waiting in line as well. I as well disagree with the effort to brand all by such means...

#387 2006-02-16 13:50:21

clark

I actually will wait to be number 92.

If I have to be a number, damit, I'm going to be my number.

#388 2006-02-18 18:13:59

Josh Cryer

I'm going to get this as a tattoo. Well, not that exactly, but something in that vein.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#389 2006-02-21 21:14:54

Earthfirst

I feel sick. That tattoo is all you ganster! Josh Cryer
Or tat of gat gun!

I love plants!

#390 2006-03-25 08:20:52

canalbuilder2

One  in Texas whilst drunk, a British comedian, Dave Gorman, got so fed up of being asked for ID that he had a driver's license tattoeed onto his arm. It can hardly be described as a good likeness.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/dec03/tattoo.html

tattoo.jpg

#391 2006-04-10 17:03:27

RobertDyck
Website

Spring has sprung, the grass has riz, I wonder where the birdies is! On there they are, and there goes my cat.

It's +21°C outside right now. The snow is almost completely gone, only a couple tiny patches where deep snow banks were in continual shade. At this temperature the snow should last a matter of hours. Green grass is poking up through the brown dead grass from last year. I'll have to rake. My chives and iris are coming up. Rubarb is coming up in my vegetable garden. The buds of my apple tree have just barely cracked open, I'll soon have a back yard filled with apple blossoms.

Old man Winter is finally dead, long live summer!

#392 2006-04-25 19:02:32

Earthfirst

My Apple trees have all ready flowered and have small apples growing. My pumkins have just geminated, I put a cage around them so the brids dont kill them. But they ate all the corn seeds that I planted, I hate brids.

My orange trees have set fruit, and my oral blanco has little grape fruit on it. By december they will be ready to eat. There are still some orange and grape fruit on the trees from last years crop, the wind kocks them down all over the lawn!

For me spring is almost over and the early summer season of heat ,drought, and low humdity starts. Home home has 8 seasons, may and june are the hot dry mounths.

Most of my garden plants die in June, or as I call it "when the hell mouth opens".
The sun so bright it blinds you, my favorite part is when at night its still 101 F out.
June is a very special mounth indeed, but July has an over all higher temp but higher humidty, clouds and rain make it more pleasent. The dust storms are nice too. Ofthen the temperture will drop from 112 down to 78, once a big storm drop the temp to 68 F from 114 F my house also got 3 inches of rain from that one storm. In north phoenix it drop 5 inches of hail. I frove the rain that pooled in my rain gage and still have the ice. I set it out side in the winter and melted it and spreed it on my grass. More like my dad dump it their, he was mad about all the dirty ice in the freezer.

I love plants!

#393 2006-05-30 11:20:50

clark

speak not what words may come
nor listen to what words have fled
but color, color, oh glorious color!
Forever outside the lines.

#394 2006-05-31 10:05:45

Earthfirst

Up date my apples have grown but are still small. Once the heat of summer comes it is very hard to garden where I live. I have to water every day, and provide shade. To get around this I plant many native plants that do well in heat. Jipson weed "Datura" has large white flowers that open at night and have a pleasent smell. But it is toxic and has drug effects. It makes very ill and wacky. My pet animals take one smell and know not to eat it. But humans ofthen eat the pretty flowers to get doped up. So I only grow them in my back yard. One of my teachers had growing in his front yard, but promply removed it when on the news he saw some local kids eat too much Jipson weed and went mad.
Clark have you been eating Datura, seeing colors is part of the Datura experience. But I don't eat it my self.

I am 23 now. In the year 2060 I would be 83 years old. Rembering the good old days before cell phones, internet, and automobles. Most people would belive that back in the 20th cent did not have cars, I look forward to telling yarns about  how all had horses, used phones with cords. Fought over oil and enjoyed littlering and not recycling. Used bow and arrows to hunt for food, and fought for are favorite American idol in the sweaps wars.

I love plants!

#395 2006-06-05 10:49:02

clark

Back in the good ol days, when you could be crazy AND alone.

Now there is a group for every kind of crazy. Future, thy name is 'support group'.

#396 2006-06-08 12:26:36

Earthfirst

You so crazy!

I love plants!

#397 2006-06-12 05:42:50

clark

"S/he's not an astronaut if s/he cannot pilot the craft."

Guess when a Shuttle explodes, we only really lose one or two astronauts in a go. Of course, with the shuttle, or even rockets, nobody is actually piloting the thing.

Still, I think we owe some bit of deference and remembrance to all the human 'space cargo' that boldly faces the great unknown, and dies.

Three cheer's for NASA's human space cargo!

#398 2006-07-24 16:31:54

BWhite

Well, tattooing bar codes on people is generally considered 'oppressive'.

This is all part and parcel of an anonymous society. Personally, I welcome our new silicon overloards.

Implanted wi-fi chipsets are so much more 21st century . . .

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#399 2006-07-24 16:33:44

BWhite

One eyed hobo says the Falcon I will succeed and all will be surprised after Falcon 9 launches the Bigelow package.

Do not ask for more, lest you tempt the Fates.  lol

Satan (Dnepr) says "No!"

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#400 2006-07-27 06:10:33

clark

Satan (Dnepr) says "No!"

That was Falcon 0.92c. Besides, Falcon did succeed. I never said what the criteria for success was! That's thing about prophecy. Wiggle room.

Implanted wi-fi chipsets are so much more 21st century . . .

I'll raise you- biological-nano devices dumped in the water supply that act as a a communication rely that decodes an individuals dna/rna genome sequence and provides a one-of a kind exact identifier.

How else are you going to tell the clones apart?  lol

But I get ahead of myself.

Board footer