New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#326 2005-12-16 08:47:04

Cobra Commander

Re: I'll take malaprops for *5* Bob - Apropos of Nothing continues. . .

::What's a Christmas tree without tinsel and pretty silver and gold decorations?
Can't really call it a Christmas tree, now can you?

I call it firewood.   :twisted:

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#327 2005-12-16 09:00:47

Palomar

::What's a Christmas tree without tinsel and pretty silver and gold decorations?
Can't really call it a Christmas tree, now can you?

I call it firewood.   :twisted:

*Oh you!  LOL! 

You made me laugh in spite of myself.   tongue

You're bad.  wink

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#328 2005-12-16 09:37:38

BWhite

It's Miller time for Bill and Josh. Cobra? He gets the Strohs. Josh of course also deserves a bourbon shooter for being, well, Josh.

If you don't follow?

Well then just move along. Nothing to see here.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#329 2005-12-16 13:24:40

Palomar

*And speaking of festive beverages, tonight I'll whip up this season's first pitcher of homemade eggnog.  I fenagled my recipe from the F. Farmer Cookbook; my version is simpler:

1/2 gallon whole milk
6 eggs, yolks and whites separated
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1-3/4 cups granulated sugar (or add more to taste)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves

Crack the eggs; put yolks in pitcher, whites in a bowl.  Pour sugar over the yolks; whisk until creamy.  Pour in all the milk.  Add vanilla.  Whisk briskly until well combined.  Beat egg whites with electric beater on high, until soft peaks form.  Fold into milk/sugar/yolk mixture.  Add spices to taste (1/2 teaspoon each, starting out; more to taste later if desired).  Beat whipping cream on high until soft peaks form.  Fold whipped cream into remainder. 

Cover and chill.  Serve after 1 hour.  Add more sugar or spices if desired.  Yum-yum. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#330 2005-12-16 15:33:22

Josh Cryer

Ahh, Bill, I think I'd rather have a nice bottle of Smirnoff, thanks. tongue

But yeah, good call guys, sorry I didn't take initiative sooner (it was sitting in my head for a few days there, but things are hectic as heck for me lately). Great modding here. smile

Maybe I should make more admins and set forth a democratic policy for things. big_smile

Then again, I like being a sporadic benevolent dictator...  :twisted:

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#331 2005-12-17 07:33:19

Palomar

Just hear those sleigh bells jingle-ing
Ring-ting-tingle-ing too
Come on, it's lovely weather
For a sleigh ride together with you

00000027.gif

Outside the snow is falling
And friends are calling
"You-Hoo!"
For a sleigh ride together with you

00000059.gif

Giddy-yap giddy-yap giddy-yap let's go!
Let's look at the snow
We're riding in a wonderland of snow!
Giddy-yap giddy-yap giddy-yap it's grand!
Just holding your hand
We're gliding along with the song of a wintry fairy land!

Our cheeks are nice and rosy and comfy cozy are we
We're snuggled up together like two birds of a feather would be
Let's take the road before us and sing a chorus or two
Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you

00000051.gif

There's a birthday party at the home of Farmer Gray
It'll be the perfect ending of a perfect day
We'll be singing the songs we love to sing without a single stop
At the fireplace while we watch the chestnuts pop

--pop! Pop! POP! POP!--

There's a happy feeling nothing in the world can buy
When they pass around the coffee and the pumpkin pie
It'll nearly be like a picture print by Currier and Ives
These wonderful things are the things we remember all through our lives

00000053.gif

Just hear those sleigh bells jingle-ing
Ring-ting-tingle-ing too
For a sleigh ride together with you!

00000057.gif

#332 2005-12-20 16:03:38

Rxke

A question... I read everywhere (in discussions on the 'net, that is) references about people being upset about the expression 'happy holidays'

I don't understand, what's this all about? In plain English please?

#333 2005-12-20 18:43:10

BWhite

A question... I read everywhere (in discussions on the 'net, that is) references about people being upset about the expression 'happy holidays'

I don't understand, what's this all about? In plain English please?

Its not sufficiently Christian, like "Merry Christmas"

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#334 2005-12-21 01:46:35

Rxke

huh? Is that really the reason? The holidays are also New year, no?

People really get all excited because of THAT?

sheesh...

Or... is it again a black-white discussion going on somewhere?

#335 2005-12-21 06:40:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well in compromise to all, then Merry christmas and happy holidays to all would be in order it would seen to either make all happy or just offend those against christmas or the symbolism of Christ's birth. It may just be that simple...

#336 2005-12-21 06:50:41

Rxke

Hmm, yeah, I'm beginning to understand:
Lots of people getting all getting into heated debates about the 'important' issues in life  roll

#337 2005-12-21 07:09:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Here is a game that fits right in with what Nasa is missing. Seems fun but have not tried it yet...

It is rocket science

It's the Brain Strainer and your mission — if you choose to accept it — is to launch the GlobalSpec rocket. However, as simple as it may appear at first glance, you will need to draw upon your superior knowledge of physics in areas such as projectile motion, potential energy, kinetic energy and gravity as you build a device to light a fuse and launch the rocket.

You can construct the rocket launcher using a variety of objects available to you (ramp, conveyor belt, bumper, power ram, etc.). The more objects you use, and the more complex your launcher, the more points you'll score.

#338 2005-12-21 07:30:36

Palomar

huh? Is that really the reason? The holidays are also New year, no?

People really get all excited because of THAT?

sheesh...

Or... is it again a black-white discussion going on somewhere?

*It's part of the "culture war" here in America.  Evangelical and fundamentalist Christians are insisting on "Merry Christmas," and complaining that "Happy Holidays" is a watered-down compromise.  Either is fine with me.  However, logically "Happy Holidays" IS inclusive and IMO includes Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice (the original "reason for the season" as Paganism predates Christianity) and of course New Year's.  Holidays.  Certain Christian elements are being deliberately exclusive.  I'm a non-religious agnostic but "Merry Christmas" doesn't offend me in the least; actually they're cheerful words with good memories attached to them.  What does offend me are certain people acting like it's only about ONE holiday.  The calendar says otherwise...

--Cindy

#339 2005-12-21 07:52:13

Rxke

One thing I don't get, everyone going 'Merry Christmas'... ...days, even weeks before Christmas? It somehow always sounded illogical to me... Like doing a practical joke, and yelling "April Fools' Day!!",... in march...

On topic: those 'merry Christmass fundamentalists'... Are they then against Santa Claus too or not?

#340 2005-12-21 07:56:21

Rxke

SpaceNut:

the more complex your launcher, the more points you'll score.

Typically... Should be the other way round.

#341 2005-12-21 08:48:37

Palomar

One thing I don't get, everyone going 'Merry Christmas'... ...days, even weeks before Christmas? It somehow always sounded illogical to me... Like doing a practical joke, and yelling "April Fools' Day!!",... in march...

*Yeah, that's a good point.  It should only be "Merry Christmas" on the actual day -- the 25th.

On topic: those 'merry Christmass fundamentalists'... Are they then against Santa Claus too or not?

Some are, some aren't; it depends on the sect.  "Satan Claus."   roll  Yes, some of them do believe Santa Claus was inspired by nothing other than Satan himself, considering Santa Claus/Father Christmas originates in the northern European Pagan mythologies as the Holly King (which relates back to an even older Greek mythology of the Star Son -- who wasn't Jesus Christ).  However, "Santa" is Spanish for "saint."  Although it's the female gender "--a."  Eeeeek...that's enough already.  tongue

How about a bit more merriment?  big_smile 

Have a holly jolly Christmas
it's the best time of the year

I don't know if there'll be snow,
but have a cup of cheer!

00000026.gif

and as you walk down the street

Say 'hello' to friends you know
and everyone you meet

Oh-ho, the mistletoe!
Hung where you can see

Somebody waits for you
kiss him once for me

00000035.gif
246.gif

and in case you didn't hear

Oh by golly have a holly jolly Christmas
this year!

#342 2005-12-21 09:08:24

Rxke

Kee-rap.

And me thinking Santa Claus was an adaptation of 'our' (Belgium and Holland) 'Sinterklaas' by Coca Cola...

(Sinterklaas, dec 5 or 6, always mix up dates, me..) Was Christian bishop (Saint Nicolas of Myra, turkey) who was a friend of childeren etc... That day children get presents...

#343 2005-12-21 09:11:58

Rxke

Hum. From Wikipedia:

In the British colonies of North America and later the United States, British and Dutch versions of the gift-giver merged further. For example, in Washington Irving's History of New York, Sinterklaas was Americanized into "Santa Claus" but lost his bishop's apparel,.....

Images of Santa Claus were further cemented through Haddon Sundblom's depiction of him for The Coca-Cola Company's Christmas advertising.

So I was right after al, in a way....

#344 2005-12-21 09:16:49

Rxke

Oh, BTW: sometimes, around these days, you see both Sinterklaas (clad as a white-bearded bishop) and Santa Claus (we call him 'de Kerstman' (the Christ(mass) man) ) in the streets...

And sometimes, they fight!  lol

Really, I kid you not, I've seen it happen repeatedly.

#345 2005-12-23 16:33:16

Palomar

City sidewalks
Busy sidewalks
Dressed in holiday style
In the air there's a feeling of Christmas

00000058.gif

Children laughing
People passing
Meeting smile after smile
And on every street corner you hear

Silver bells, silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, hear them ring
Soon it will be Christmas day

silver29.jpg

Strings of street lights
Even stop lights
Blink a bright red and green
As the shoppers rush home with their treasures

00000028.gif

Hear the snow crunch
See the kids bunch
This is Santa's big scene
And above all this bustle you hear

00000054.gif

Silver bells, silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, hear them ring
Soon it will be Christmas day

--Cindy  00000022.gif

#346 2005-12-23 16:45:45

Rxke

I think I'm going to dress up as Sinterklaas, bash up some Santa's tonight....

#347 2005-12-23 22:00:06

Palomar

I think I'm going to dress up as Sinterklaas, bash up some Santa's tonight....

*Lol!   tongue  tongue

I may know someone who might like to join you in those "festivities," but I doubt he'd want to dress up as Sinterklaas (or anything else).   big_smile

Yes, I did see your most previous post -- about them fighting.  That day or the next, an article appeared in Yahoo! news about the "reigning Santa" of America getting mad that he'd lost his title.  neutral  Human nature always outs itself, eh?  Lol...

--Cindy

#348 2006-01-01 10:13:30

DonPanic
Website

A happy new year, everybody

#349 2006-01-06 07:14:35

clark

I resolve to enjoy the ride.

#350 2006-01-06 07:28:39

Palomar

*Oh, I'm lovin' the internet and computers these days, yessiree.   lol

In November, while surfing the 'net for info on elderly dogs (our is 11), I clicked onto what looked like a legit veterinary site ... and caught a trojan horse virus.  It nearly destroyed my PC.   Spyware Killer Pro couldn't even muck through the problem; couldn't even run its program for 15 minutes.  It seemed the computer was toast.  A friend suggested a "hard-drive wipe" disc; did the computer's original packing materials come with?  Yep.  Didn't work.  One final attempt:  I decided to shut down the computer with that disc still inside the CD drive, and restart it.  By golly, the disc was able to operate and it worked.  Computer restored to its original "shipped from the factory" state.  Which of course meant losing Windows 98 and now it's back to dinosaur Windows 95.  The internal modem got fried in the process, though, so had to purchase an external modem.  The first wouldn't take, the 2nd did. 

Now something's wrong with the mouse...or the mouse outlet.  Yesterday everything was fine and dandy.  Late last night (computer problems only occur 2 minutes prior to bedtime, you know; when your spouse wants to use the computer and you're so tired it's a zombie-like state), after working normally throughout the day, suddenly the computer doesn't recognize the mouse.  Okay, switch to another mouse.  It worked.  But the mouse needed a bit of cleaning; couldn't navigate well with it.  And now the mouse isn't being recognized again; none of them are (I have 4).   :evil:  I've just about had it with computers.  I'm currently on the company computer (I work in my home); but I cannot access private e-mail with it, nor anything connected to Yahoo! (except the news).

Added to that, an interesting different (non-space exploration/astronomy) forum I've been visiting is on the lam since Wednesday.  Apparently this "progressive" group of people forgot to pay their web site's subscription fee.  lol  And now my blog is inaccessible for the 3rd time this week because they're doing maintenance.  Yeah, when it rains it pours.

Oh well.  At least New Mars is open AND it's accessible.  ::knock wood::

--Cindy

Board footer