New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2002-10-23 21:46:12

Nirgal82
Banned

Re: MGS - the latest, anything involving MGS

First, the new images shown on the homepage are quite detailed.  They depict outburst gullies in a crater wall.
I can see evidence of older channels underneath more recent flows.  And the largest channel appears to be quite recent, and boasts a very large cave-in feature at its source.
However I am experienceing a slight difficulty in interpreting the lower half of the image.
I see it as two ways, either as a dune field (easy answer) or the layered deposits of continued outburst activity over a VERY long time.
Smaller dunes appear to have formed on top of them, possibly from the sediment deposited there...
Anyone out there see the same thing or am I in dire error...

Your friendly neighborhood Martian...
-Matt

"...all matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration.  We are all one consiousness experiencing itself subjectively.  There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves."  -Bill Hicks

Board footer