New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-10-23 21:46:12

Nirgal82
Banned

Re: MGS - the latest, anything involving MGS

First, the new images shown on the homepage are quite detailed.  They depict outburst gullies in a crater wall.
I can see evidence of older channels underneath more recent flows.  And the largest channel appears to be quite recent, and boasts a very large cave-in feature at its source.
However I am experienceing a slight difficulty in interpreting the lower half of the image.
I see it as two ways, either as a dune field (easy answer) or the layered deposits of continued outburst activity over a VERY long time.
Smaller dunes appear to have formed on top of them, possibly from the sediment deposited there...
Anyone out there see the same thing or am I in dire error...

Your friendly neighborhood Martian...
-Matt

"...all matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration.  We are all one consiousness experiencing itself subjectively.  There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves."  -Bill Hicks

Board footer