New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2005-02-10 07:50:26

Palomar

Re: Attire - -or-:  What to wear on Mars, baby!

I think jackboots might go with my visualization of the golden suede pants, multicolored paisley belt, lime green ruffled shirt and royal purple love beads that I had in mind for you.  ::shrugs::

Ahhhhhh!!! <retreats into the shadows>

:laugh:

I think I'll stick with the regulation jumpsuit, grey, and perhaps sunglasses to partially block the vibrant colors sported by others.

Okay, Cobra.  It can never be said, though, that someone didn't at least try to introduce you to mod and groovy styles. 

If the paisley belt is too much, we could always substitute a sash for it.  smile

Get back with me on it later.  -wink-

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#27 2005-02-10 07:59:10

Cobra Commander

If the paisley belt is too much, we could always substitute a sash for it.

Like a samurai?  ???

A zoot suit, jackboots and a bright sash with katana. That could work.  big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#28 2005-02-10 12:47:29

Trebuchet
Banned

I'm definitely with Cobra on the sunglasses. I think I'll wear Martian camo-colored pants (salmon with red and maroon blotches), a sturdy pair of boots and a nice thick warm jacket. And a Browning 9mm, since Cobra will be running around with a frickin' katana.

#29 2005-02-10 13:40:05

Palomar

If the paisley belt is too much, we could always substitute a sash for it.

Like a samurai?  ???

A zoot suit, jackboots and a bright sash with katana. That could work.  big_smile

*The sash I had in mind would be vertically striped, alternating orange and blue.  But I should have kept your militaristic preferences in mind.   :;):

As for your new proposed ensemble, just about anything is better than a drab grey jumpsuit.   

Trebuchet:  I'm definitely with Cobra on the sunglasses.

Not sunglasses...shadescool

--Cindy

P.S.:  I don't know what a "katana" is (your proposed accessory), but prior to Googling for it I'll guess:  It's akin to a machete.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#30 2005-02-10 14:11:38

Cobra Commander

P.S.:  I don't know what a "katana" is (your proposed accessory), but prior to Googling for it I'll guess:  It's akin to a machete.

I suppose in the same sense that a dumptruck is akin to a Ferrari.  big_smile

An elegant weapon from a more... well, an elegant weapon anyway.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#31 2005-02-10 14:20:35

Palomar

I suppose in the same sense that a dumptruck is akin to a Ferrari.  big_smile

An elegant weapon from a more... well, an elegant weapon anyway.

*Well...I don't know much about weapons.   sad  :laugh:

Okay, it's a Japanese ceremonial sword.  I guess.  :hm:  Did check Google. 

But I was on the right track:  Both are capable of cutting, slashing...

And I think that's about as far as I care to go with this "accessory." 

--Cindy   :;):

P.S.:  I do know the difference between a shotgun and a rifle...but I'm not "going there" either.

#32 2005-02-10 16:13:05

Trebuchet
Banned

I must note, as a founding member of the Mars Rifle Association, that although our name says "rifle", we also protect shotguns, pistols, katanas, machetes, pocketknives, large angry dogs, and blindlingly colored clothes, or any other implement that might be used in self defense and is not crew-served.  :laugh:

#33 2005-02-10 17:21:34

Grypd

OOOH we get to have cutlases and play space pirates.

So our atire is all sashes and eyepatches with big long coats to hide all them weapons. Brings me back to my navy days :laugh:

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#34 2005-02-10 17:43:18

clark

Yeah, elegant. Is that what the Japanese Samiuri said before Hari Kari?  tongue

#35 2005-02-11 11:22:44

Palomar

I think jackboots might go with my visualization of the golden suede pants, multicolored paisley belt, lime green ruffled shirt and royal purple love beads that I had in mind for you.  ::shrugs::

Ahhhhhh!!! <retreats into the shadows>

*Maybe you'll like a different fashion ensemble.  Here goes:

+Nix the jackboots.  Your feet are being treated to a pair of basic brown http://www.sixtiescity.velnet.com/Fash2 … pg]Beatles boots.  http://www.sixtiescity.velnet.com/Fash2 … pg]Another Beatles boots image.  Nice, huh?

+Next:  A pair of http://www.ballyhoovintage.com/17/17054.html]Hondo Flares.  Except yours are striped red, white and blue.  Snug fit from top to knees, then a gradual but noticeable flare to the ankle; not exactly "bell-bottom" but getting there.

+Next:  A shirt similar to http://www.rustyzipper.com/shop.cfm/rz/ … s.cfm]This number (8th from top [67441-M28168]), but pure white and with a "troubador/bard/minstrel" romantic flare.  Gathered slightly at the wrists with just the slightest impression of a ruffle, same for a V-shaped neckline.

+If you prefer shirts tucked in, an idea for a belt (I couldn't find a comparable photo, sorry):  1-1/2" width band, black trimming with dark blue and dark green harlequin diamond patterning superimposed. 

+Next:  A vest http://www.brandsonsale.com/woodstock-v … ml]similar to this one; no buttons and narrower front panels.  Is basic brown (same as your Beatles boots) on back and front trim, with a fine dark blue paisley pattern embroidered on the front panels.

+You've "got" to have a cap:  How about a basic brown http://www.donovan.ie/Don_Cap_Cig.jpg]Donovan cap?  Here's http://www.sixtiescity.velnet.com/Fash2 … pg]another view of the Donovan cap.

+Two long strands of orange love beads.

+And last but not least, http://home.att.net/~happydazecostumes/ … 5.jpg]your shades.  I'm thinking more rectangular (sharper corners) and blue lenses.

Now let me guess:  You would look very nice in this outfit, yet you'd never wear it.  :laugh:

--Cindy

#36 2005-02-11 11:51:02

Cobra Commander

Now let me guess:  You would look very nice in this outfit, yet you'd never wear it.  :laugh:

While I can't offer an unbiased opinion on the former, to the latter I can offer a quite emphatic affirmative.  big_smile

Though the Beatles boots and Donovan cap can be worked with I suppose, and a pair of red, white and blue Uncle Sam pants has potential for something.  :hm:

I probably have to stick with my customary black shirt though, so Uncle Sam pants, a black shirt, Beatles boots and the cap. Need more pockets though since I'll have to carry a hari-kari knife to give to clark, I seem to recall him expressing some interest.  big_smile

#37 2005-02-11 11:59:55

Palomar

Though the Beatles boots and Donovan cap can be worked with I suppose, and a pair of red, white and blue Uncle Sam pants has potential for something.  :hm:

I probably have to stick with my customary black shirt though, so Uncle Sam pants, a black shirt, Beatles boots and the cap.

*Okay, so you liked some of it.  Can work with some of it.  big_smile

Black?  ::shakes head::  Doesn't jibe with the dawning of the Age of Aquarius. 

It was fun working up that recommendation, though.  I wish I could have found a photo on the net of Donovan wearing that white, softly romantic minstrel's shirt.  :hm:  Oh well.

--Cindy  smile

#38 2005-02-11 13:29:08

BWhite

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#39 2005-02-11 15:22:55

clark

Everyone can dress as part of the blue man group.

Sweet.

You can keep the ritual suicide Cobra. I prefer the outdoor method, thank you very much.  tongue  big_smile

#40 2005-02-11 17:37:04

BWhite

This is Mars - - Red & black.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#41 2005-02-11 22:53:10

Cobra Commander

Never been one for dawn, all that sunlight illuminating everything.

cool

Okay, that's better.

This is Mars - - Red & black.

Then I'm already set.  big_smile

Edited By Cobra Commander on 1108184022

#42 2005-02-12 10:08:54

Palomar

Never been one for dawn, all that sunlight illuminating everything.

cool

Okay, that's better.

*You know as well as I do that the Sun as seen from Mars is smaller and it receives 38% less light than we do, yet except for the sand/dust storms there are few clouds (and what clouds it has are basically wispy gossamer things). 

So, there will be ~*sunshine aplenty*~ on Mars for folks.  Unless, of course, you plan on living underground.

And maybe http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … _gates]The Gates could be recreated on Mars.  Looks like those "Noo Yawkuhs" have the spirit, LOL.

I was going to let this thread pretty much "stand" indefinitely until I saw that article.  How interesting that Donovan's name has been dropped recently here (by me), in reference to "I'm just wild about Saffron" in his song "Mellow Yellow."

Trivia question:  Who whispered the words "quite rightly" in his song "Mellow Yellow"? 

--Cindy

"It brings happiness when you look at it."

"I think it's fantastic," said Dominique Borel, who was walking her dog, Mickey, on Friday. "I love it. I think it's exhilarating." Mickey was wearing an orange scarf around his neck in honor of the project.

Rubottom was wearing an orange jacket and scarf, and her orange eyeglass frames happened to match, too.

#43 2005-02-17 14:37:04

Cobra Commander

Just musing, but this thread and the one about non-pressurized spacesuit research (the location of which I can't recall) awhile back got me thinking. At one point in the other thread (the original article, actually) the possibility of a biology based skinsuit was mentioned. A living "second skin" in a sense. If done well it could even partially recycle human waste (CO2 and otherwise) to maintain itself. Symbiosis.

It'll get relevant here, trust me.  :;):

But to make such a suit as effective as possible, both as a skintight layer and a crap-eating living thing requiring minimal maintenance it becomes totally dependent on that symbiotic relationship. Taking it off is not only difficult, but possibly fatal to the suit. They'd have to be fast growing for replacement purposes.

The other option though is to just walk around in this skinsuit all the time, in true symbiosis with it. Is it just possible that Martians will be wearing... well... meat? Symbiotic skinsuits? Obvious problems with mating and hygiene aside of course, those matters could almost certainly be dealt with if the advantages were big enough.

Such an arrangement might also allow the Martians to survive Earth gravity by providing an extra support, if it has a circulatory system it likely has the potential for rigidity, just up the pressure in the needed areas.

They could then be engineered to do all sorts of cool things from a fashion sense, working in the color changing abilities of a cuttlefish for example. Flashy and practical.

Another Cobra sleep-deprived rambling, all rights reserved.  :hm:

#44 2005-02-18 11:43:44

clark

Yeah, but women will still ask if their "second-skin" makes them look fat.

#45 2005-02-19 00:38:43

Pulaskee
Banned

lol return of the corset...

The skin idea, dont know about having it alive. though it would be cool to have a skintight with computers built in and water lines and support..lol thinking of desings right now.maby ill make some sckeches and post them.

I am an amateur at best.

#46 2005-02-19 07:20:32

Grypd

Still with skinsuits they would have to be made of some really strong but still flexible material. But then again I would prefer something a wee bit more defensive a bit of armor or something to ensure im a lot more protected from falls etc.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#47 2005-02-19 11:15:49

Cobra Commander

The skinsuit would just be a substitute for bulky pressurization, other layers would still be needed for thermal insulation and protection from impacts and tearing.

But within pressurized enviroments how frequently the skinsuit layer is remoed could determined primarily by how difficult it is to remove it and how expensive/complex it is to replace.

#48 2005-02-21 20:47:16

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#49 2005-02-22 02:22:09

Shaun Barrett

By the time we get to the stage CC mentions, with living skinsuits technologically possible, maybe we'd do better to genetically engineer our own skin to cope with Martian conditions.   ???

Such skin would need much stronger elastin, thicker subcutaneous fat for thermal insulation, better-sealing sweat glands, and a thicker, scalier, stratified, squamous epithelial, outer cell layer - perhaps even reptilian in texture.
    Our sphincters would need to be stronger and we could even engineer protective nictitating membranes for our eyes.

Then, all we'd need to go 'outside' would be a strap on rebreather with mouthpiece. Simple!   smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

Board footer