New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-02-08 11:50:03

Palomar

Re: Attire - -or-:  What to wear on Mars, baby!

*(Just a bit of fun and fantasy...but it'd be cool to see fashions like these on Mars, LOL [or simply revived *here*]):

Im]http://www.bonnies-treasures.com/category/vintageclothes.1960fashions/?s=8&p=1]I'm going "Mod"

Page 2, near the center especially:  Psychedelic Culottes.  :up:  (I'd look good in those). 

-*-

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fashion/prom- … tm]Evening attire

-*-

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fashion/1960s … m]Swimming

Bottom of page, towards lower left-hand corner.  Bring back the baby doll swimsuits!  We used to wear swimsuits like these as kids, with the "flocking" (or "panels," as we called them).

I'll have to hunt down some fashions men can wear on Mars.  Mod style, of course.

--Cindy

P.S.:  Also love that psychedelic neon orange and yellow mini-dress at the bottom of page 1, first link.  :up:

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-02-08 12:29:32

Palomar

http://www.esells.com/ecitemlist11.asp? … 1=287]More ideas for future Marsians

*I just fell into '60s Heaven.  smile  Includes scarves, handbags, jewelry, smocks, even a bit of stuff for home decor (and plenty of pretty dresses).  Love those 2-tone gloves.  They're sold.  :-\  Gloves were so "big" back then, so cool.

--Cindy

(I'm soooo tempted to get my credit card right now...don't do it, Cindy!  Don't do it...)  teehee

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#3 2005-02-08 15:13:37

Trebuchet
Banned

What we imagine people will wear on Mars: various wild and insane things.

What people will actually wear on Mars: relatively drab, utilitarian stuff. They're building a new arena for human civilization, after all. It's serious work! I predict many fines-stained white, off-white or beige clothes with lots of loops and pockets to stick stuff in, heavy boots for work and light insulated slippers for inside the base. Maybe veils/masks if fines keep getting in, or to assist in preventing disease from spreading in the closed environments. Some rust-red clothes (because they stain less easily on Mars).

Swimsuits on Mars... likely an alien concept after a generation or two. Not the idea of wearing clothes while swimming, just the concept of swimming, at least on Mars. Waste *that* much water just to paddle around in?

#4 2005-02-08 22:30:40

Zusayan
Website

They would require some lower-abdomen redefinement for the Zusayan 'Colony'.
Here are a few Zusayan Martian compatable attire:
Mars Attire
(might lead to nudity)

Moderator edit: Link removed, see below.

Edited By Cobra Commander on 1107950579

Are you Zusayan too?
[url=http://www.geocities.com/zusayan/]http://www.geocities.com/zusayan/[/url]

[url=http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=zusayan]http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=zusayan[/url]

#5 2005-02-09 06:02:13

Cobra Commander

Here are a few Zusayan Martian compatable attire:
Mars Attire
(might lead to nudity)

XXXspacegirls.net? Dude, c'mon. Might lead to nudity? Isn't that the whole and entire point?

Link deleted, there's plenty of places to find pictures of naked women on the internet without linking in the New Mars "Civilization and Culture" forum. Address left for anyone who still wants to look, but be warned.

Back on topic, I overall agree with Trebuchet on this one. I'm picturing something like a heavy coveralls or a flightsuit with numerous pockets, perhaps at some point evolving into a sort of "miner chic" as the Martians add their own personal touches.

Edited By Cobra Commander on 1107950724

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#6 2005-02-09 07:36:06

clark

LOL! Looks like Little Brother is protecting our sensibilites... for our own good of course.  big_smile

I'm inclined to believe Cindy is on the right track here. While the utilitarian aspect of life can't be denied, neither can the inward drive of vain and preening humanity be curtailed.

Think about it, on a planet with one color, in various shades and tones. Contrast that with a sterile environment of plastic and white-washed metal. Not too appetizing in the long run.

People will do what they have always done, look to improve their environment and personalize their own individuality. The easiest way to do that is to spice up the wardrobe, and add accessories.

I think tattoo's will be big, along with rings, necklaces, earings, and bracelets (many serving a functional requirement to boot... think cell phone and all the options to personalize that functional device).

Of course, I will not predict hem line, but if Kirk's Star Trek future is anything to consider, well, boys, plenty of leg on Mars!  big_smile

Besides, who wants to wear their work clothes all the time.

#7 2005-02-09 11:27:32

Palomar

Some rust-red clothes (because they stain less easily on Mars).

*Well, I'm not sure I can give you rust-red clothes, but you can get yourself a pair of Bootcut Orange Velvet Pants http://www.ballyhoovintage.com/mens601.html]via this link. 

Oh, and check out the Hondo Flares. 

I'm trying to find some images from a movie in the late 1960s starring, IIRC, Roddy McDowell.  :hm:  But am not sure.  They were dressed mod-ish but futuristic -- I've only seen one image, mostly men in the shot (or nearly entirely men), and the clothes were fabulous (and no wild colors, IIRC).  It was an unusual but very stylish "look" which was great.

(Trebuchet:  Even if there are no swimming pools on Mars, surely there'll be indoor sunbathers...or tanning beds, LOL).

--Cindy

#8 2005-02-09 11:36:18

Rxke

Hmmm... Tattoo's?
Sure think, probably, first setllers will be scientists, but the 'tough' kind, oil-rig rednecks with brains.

lots of 'Base Alpha Power Team' stuff etc.

And Don't bet too much on drab colors... There will surely be a chemistry lab, creating dyes for serious purpooses, but at leas part will find its way to the clothes, 'accidently.'
and don't forget the original plant and 'earth' pigments, which will be quite readily available.

after all, fashion is all about profiling oneself, and those people will have ego's to stroke, heehee.

And Treb, I'd bet money on a swimmingpool getting dug quite early, people wanting to feel really clean and warm for a change, and .38 swimming will surely be spectacular, imagine someone doing a butterfly...

#9 2005-02-09 12:29:15

Trebuchet
Banned

It requires a certain kind of person to settle a new, hostile land, one with a certain mindset. Fashion is not going to be high on their priorities, not with the planet trying its damnest to kill you. Both the initial base scientists and the initial colonists are unlikely to waste time and effort on fashion - at least not for a hundred years or so after the founding of the place, I'd wager. And afterwards, what's 'fashionable' will likely be knockoffs of whatever's currently fashionable on Earth.

#10 2005-02-09 14:23:19

clark

Sure, the planet is trying to kill you. Granted. However, people stuck in a glorified tin can will go stir crazy unless they have some means to express their own individuality. People are peacocks, girls and boys alike, and they will look for ways to differentiate themselves, as well as draw the kind of attention they desire.

So maybe it's putting together overalls with different patches. Maybe it is tye-dying your standard issue white cotton shirts. The point is that an attempt at fashion will be attempted for the sake of killing time.

Consider that when the hab is secure, more or less, people will have a lot of time on their hands. You can only run the system checks so many times before it becomes a neurotic act.

If it's a handful of people, the fashion issues go away- not enough people for leisure. However, when a base reaches a certain number, ala a colony, there will be more free time and more of a need of individuals to be noticed from among the group.

Left-side thinking people aren't the only ones who will end up on Mars.  big_smile

As for the tattoo's... well, it's kind of a lark, but my way of thinking is that there wouldn't be much in the way of fabric for clothing styles, but dyes should be readily available... so what better way to distinguish yourself then that? Add a little color to your surroundings by adding color to yourself!  big_smile

#11 2005-02-09 15:07:24

Rxke

Trebuchet... I'm not convinced.

Even the soldiers in a war 'dress up,' within strict dress code, of course. Sometimes small stuff, or a special haircut. Less regulated armies tend to be a bit more errr... Imaginative (See African armies.)
You could see some stuff as 'war paint,' like the peeps that do the most outside work starting to sport them red bandeleers (sp?) for instance.

Fashion is profiling. It's irresistable.

I used (used?) to have a kind of a tech-hacking mind, and used to walk around in a dinnerjacket with recycled I.C.'s and resistors on the chest, a bit like a general, heehee. It was silly, stupid, teenagestuff, and very,very uncool those days... But it *was* fashion, in a way. I also had a T-shirt spelling: "F@@@ Disco, F@@@ Fashion, F@@@@ you!"  big_smile  Little did I know...

Proud of what you're doing on Mars, you want to show it off....

#12 2005-02-09 15:24:24

Cobra Commander

It depends largely on what stage of a colony we're talking about, which in turn determines what they have to work with. If it's a city of a million people who knows what they'll come up with, the field is wide open. If it's at an earlier stage, just a couple thousand or so, the options narrow.

But then even at the most basic level you can do alot with t-shirts, jumpsuits and dyes I would imagine. Countless variations possible with a few uniform items, especially if you have a needle, some thread and a pair of scissors. Or a knife for that matter.

It could get a little "Star Trek" meets "Mad Max".

Edited By Cobra Commander on 1107984305

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#13 2005-02-09 15:57:15

Palomar

::sigh::

Some people...(booooooring fuddie-duddies)

http://www.littlestevensundergroundgara … html]Blues Magoos 

Anyone ever heard of those guys?  I haven't.  Watch the flash intro (NOT recommended for anyone with epilepsy...no joke).  Watch the patterns and vibrant colors flash and repeat I Like Mod -- I Like Mod -- I Like Mod in rhythm with the flashing.  After a minute, you -will- love mod! 

If you don't check any of the other links here, at least check that one (it's fun).

Apparently the Blues Magoos were famous back then for their
electric suits.  I can only find b/w photos on the web, unfortunately.  Maybe they can be booked for parties on Mars.  tongue

This would work on Mars:

http://www.coololdstuff.com/pictures/vc … pg]Plastic Disc Dresses (1968)  Pretty cool.

-*-

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/baublesba … 01796]Nice swirling pattern  (Really like that)

http://www.thevideobeat.com/images/60s- … pg]Another

http://www.ballyhoovintage.com/miva/ima … 06.jpg]Yet another

http://www.ballyhoovintage.com/miva/ima … d.jpg]Last one

Again...just some fun ideas.  :laugh: 

--Cindy

P.S.:  Am having a hard time finding interesting (to me, anyway) men's clothing of the time.  :hm:

#14 2005-02-09 16:06:38

Cobra Commander

I just pictured some wrinkled old guy sitting in an enclosed dome on a rocking chair yelling at kids in spacesuits that run by, "Stay off my sand you little bastards!"

:hm:

#15 2005-02-09 16:10:05

Palomar

I just pictured some wrinkled old guy sitting in an enclosed dome on a rocking chair yelling at kids in spacesuits that run by, "Stay off my sand you little bastards!"

:hm:

*Was that before or after you watched the Blues Magoos flash intro?  ???

LOL!

--Cindy

#16 2005-02-09 16:18:51

Cobra Commander

Was that before or after you watched the Blues Magoos flash intro?

Actually the flash intro doesn't play on my workstation, just a black rectangle over a flashing psychedelic field of garf.

#17 2005-02-09 16:24:39

Rxke

*Rxke picks himself from floor...*

Whaaa what... was that?  big_smile

(inverter board on screen malfunctionng, so extra psychedelic  yikes )

#18 2005-02-09 17:19:38

Trebuchet
Banned

Oh, I certainly don't deny that people will do creative things to their utilitarian clothes. It's just that the basic shape of the clothes will be utilitarian, and the majority of clothes are going to be blandly boring. You probably won't see much interesting stuff going on.

Caveat: If rapid prototyping equipment, nanotech, and/or other technologies allow for push-button manufacturing of custom items, then this prediction will be wholly invalid, along with any other prediction - if people can basically make whatever kind of clothing they want according to their whims at the push of a button, fashion anarchy will reign supreme. Anything that doesn't violate the law will be worn by someone at sometime.

#19 2005-02-10 02:18:51

Rxke

Do me a pressurized tuxedo, oh, mighty nanofac!  big_smile

#20 2005-02-10 05:54:17

Palomar

*Rxke picks himself from floor...*

Whaaa what... was that?  big_smile

(inverter board on screen malfunctionng, so extra psychedelic  yikes )

LOL!  Nearly knocked you out of your seat, huh Rik?   :;):

A pressurized tuxedo?  Hmmmm.  It has possibilities. 

Apparently Cobra remains unmoved even by the flashing psychadelic field of garf.  big_smile

Last "suggestion" for now:

http://www.thevideobeat.com/link_clothing.htm]Vintage stuff from many eras

Including 40s and 50s. 

(I will never wear a Poodle Skirt if I can help it...ugh).

--Cindy

#21 2005-02-10 06:01:01

Cobra Commander

Jackboots. You know, to keep the dust out.

#22 2005-02-10 06:22:48

Palomar

Jackboots. You know, to keep the dust out.

*Hmmmmm.  Well, even though I don't know what you look like, I think jackboots might go with my visualization of the golden suede pants, multicolored paisley belt, lime green ruffled shirt and royal purple love beads that I had in mind for you.  ::shrugs:: 

--Cindy

#23 2005-02-10 06:32:01

Cobra Commander

I think jackboots might go with my visualization of the golden suede pants, multicolored paisley belt, lime green ruffled shirt and royal purple love beads that I had in mind for you.  ::shrugs::

Ahhhhhh!!! <retreats into the shadows>

I think I'll stick with the regulation jumpsuit, grey, and perhaps sunglasses to partially block the vibrant colors sported by others.

#24 2005-02-10 07:13:55

clark

These boots were made for steping, And steping what's they do,
One of these days these boots are gunna step all over you.

#25 2005-02-10 07:35:11

clark

How about Zoot Suits, and Flappers? A little panache.  big_smile

Always thought pendant watches on chains were rather debonaire.

Speak-easies on Mars, now that would be cool.  :laugh:

Or, how about a Punk-Goth affair.... imagine the helmets with spikes to allow room for the mohawks!

maybe it will be more marqi de sade... all leather and whips. Dungeons on Mars? It does have potential!  tongue

Board footer