New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-11-27 09:53:07

Dayton3

Re: How Fast Could JPL Cobble Together Orbiters - and Probes For Uranus & Neptune?

The way I envisioned Mars Direct happening, there would be at minimum one unmanned test of the Ares launch vehicle, just to see what it could do.

Given that Ares could lift 280,000 lbs. into LEO, I think it would be a great opportunity to send up a couple of unmanned probes weighing in the 5,000 lb. range along with their propulsion stages to send to Uranus and Neptune.

How long would it take JPL to put together a couple of orbiters, atmospheric probes, and moon probes for each planet?  Given that size wouldn't be that big a deal, I think they could do it fairly quickly.

I seem to remember that the the Magellan probe to Venus was basically a leftover Voyager probe (plus some Mariner equipment) equipped with solar panels instead of RPGs and that the ill fated Mars Observer was a cobbled together probe as well.

#2 2004-11-29 18:50:15

Dayton3

Re: How Fast Could JPL Cobble Together Orbiters - and Probes For Uranus & Neptune?

Twenty people read this and not one replied?

I thought it was a dandy idea.

#3 2004-11-29 21:28:35

GCNRevenger

Depends on how much the probes cost. If they come out to be multibillion dollar investments, then the risk of putting them on the first prototype superbooster might be too great.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#4 2004-11-30 01:36:55

GraemeSkinner
Website

It also depends on how good you want the probe to be, to have a better chance of success when it gets there the probe needs to be developed properly - and that takes time  big_smile
Though by the time Ares is ready for a test launch a probe could likely be develop on time. However it would look in the general publics eyes as another major space failure if a multibillion dollar probe goes pop after being fitted to an untried rocket. So although it does seem wasteful I'd think an empty test launch would be better.

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#5 2004-11-30 05:49:14

djellison

It took > 10 years to design, build and test Cassini, and it was even longer for Galileo.

There's no reason to suggest it would be quicker, or cheaper ( i.e. >$2B )with probes to Uranus or Neptune

Doug

#6 2004-11-30 07:00:32

Palomar

*As far as Neptune goes, on Nov 26 I posted http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1442]in this thread seeing a tentative launch date of 2014 for the proposed Neptune orbiter with probes.

That's their projection of how long it's going to take, as far as Neptune is concerned.  Although they tacked the words "or later" onto it as well (which we never like to read or hear).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#7 2004-11-30 07:53:15

Cobra Commander

In simple terms, "how long" is a function of "how much". If you're willing to spend obscene amounts of money you can speed things up considerably.

Enter the cold reality of hardware and rocketry. Launching anything out to Neptune is expensive, whether it be a billion dollar super-probe or a big tub of garbage, launch costs are essentially constant and will be a major factor. Therefore, if we're paying enough to get the thing out there, we're better served paying enough to make the probe itself worth as much as possible when it arrives. It's actually cheaper than building and launching a second cobbled-together substandard probe.

That, and travel time is considerable. Do we really want to wait a decade only to realize that maybe we should have put this instrument on it for an extra $100K?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#8 2004-12-04 18:03:24

Dayton3

Launch costs are a huge part of putting unmanned probes on the way.

If we're going to test launch a huge, multi billion dollar to develop booster, it makes sense to me to take advantage of the lift capabilty

#9 2004-12-04 20:02:30

MarsDog

Instead of a probe, I would like to see a Space Hotel at one of the http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_mm/ob_techor … l]Lagrange Points.

After several successful unmanned tests, parking space hotels at the L4 and L5 points; The astronauts could get on board and take one for a spin around Mars.

#10 2004-12-05 13:54:30

Trebuchet
Banned

Personally, I'd skip Uranus and head straight to Neptune. It's a more interesting planet, IMHO, and worth a look. But actually, I wouldn't send a probe there with a 'cheap throwaway' mission plan. If I were to send a Spare Parts Special to the outer solar system, I'd send it to Pluto, where even a crap probe will greatly increase out knowledge. Neptune (or Uranus for that matter) merits a well-designed big probe of the Galileo/Cassini type.

#11 2004-12-05 18:20:12

Stephen

*As far as Neptune goes, on Nov 26 I posted http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1442]in this thread seeing a tentative launch date of 2014 for the proposed Neptune orbiter with probes.

That's their projection of how long it's going to take, as far as Neptune is concerned.  Although they tacked the words "or later" onto it as well (which we never like to read or hear).

IMHO it probably *will* be later now that the Europa Orbiter's been scrapped in favour of JIMO. If JIMO succeeds a Neptune Orbiter will probably use the same technology, which is good news in the sense that it would allow a big heavy probe with all sorts of bells & whistles (like Triton landers and Neptune atmospheric probes). The downside is that other outer solar system orbiter missions will probably be pushed back. I notice that JIMO itself will not be launched until]http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/jimo/mission_launch.cfm]"until 2015 or later". If future orbiter missions into the outer solar system do use the JIMO technology they are not going to be launched until at least until after JIMO launches; and maybe a long while after if that technology must first prove itself on the prototype.

======
Stephen

#12 2004-12-05 22:44:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

I do not think the question means to gubber an unknown probe design together but to build an existing one that works. ie cassini or the Mars probes I think is what was the thought, but then again maybe i'm all wet.

#13 2005-01-09 01:05:57

thrawn20

Neptune and Uranus need to be explored in more detail. Especially Triton and the many moons. Considering the voyagers took only a few blurry shots.

Im all for the new JIMO idea. I think its a great idea. But one thing we should NOT have scrapped is new horizons. At this rate wewillprobably never see pluto, Quoar, or Sedna :-( in our lifetimes

#14 2005-01-10 06:50:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

I have not seen anything as of yet that would or has cancelled the mission to Pluto by the New Horizon Probe.

#15 2005-02-16 09:41:30

Yang Liwei Rocket

At this rate wewillprobably never see pluto, Quoar, or Sedna :-( in our lifetimes

very sad  sad let's hope it doesn't go like this

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

Board footer