New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-02-02 13:16:10

Palomar

Re: Riddle of the Zero-Time "Ghost"

*Okay, the author of a book I've been reading gives an analogy of a particle (referred to in the analogy as a "person")...which I think could be turned into a riddle.  Of course I could likely be wasting my time typing this out, as someone smarter than I will likely guess it >pronto<.  I doubt I could have guessed correctly.  Will give the author's name and book title later (to reduce the risk of someone having the book and looking up the answer...sorry). 

Here goes (I'm -not- quoting the book directly, just rephrasing it):

A person travels crosstown for 3 light-microseconds (i.e., 3 blocks) and uptown for 3 microseconds.  He was born at the beginning of his brief journey and dies at its finish.

As 3 microseconds are a distance in imaginary space, what is to be said of this person?  He was observed to live for 3 microseconds and to travel 3 light-microseconds. 

But from his own standpoint, he didn't live at all (okay, this part really has me :hm: ).  Going on...

This person existed in zero-time (the hypotenuse of the spacetime triangle -- I can reproduce that here, if anyone asks).

Did this person actually exist or not?  Could there be a particle which behaves in this manner? 

According to relativity he didn't go anywhere either, since according to his own reckoning he spent no time.

-*-

What is the particle this analogy refers to?   

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-02-02 13:52:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sort of like a snow globe that has been shaken and then layed to rest. Was the snow ever floating?

#3 2005-02-02 15:44:27

Mark Friedenbach

EDIT :: *REMOVED*

Eh, whooops.  I thought you were asking a question about the riddle.  I don't want to spoil the answer yet

#4 2005-02-02 15:54:28

C M Edwards

Hmm... 

It's either a photon moving in a Minkowski spacetime, or someone like me trying to get to work in the morning.

Not really sure which...

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

Board footer