New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-02-02 13:16:10

Palomar

Re: Riddle of the Zero-Time "Ghost"

*Okay, the author of a book I've been reading gives an analogy of a particle (referred to in the analogy as a "person")...which I think could be turned into a riddle.  Of course I could likely be wasting my time typing this out, as someone smarter than I will likely guess it >pronto<.  I doubt I could have guessed correctly.  Will give the author's name and book title later (to reduce the risk of someone having the book and looking up the answer...sorry). 

Here goes (I'm -not- quoting the book directly, just rephrasing it):

A person travels crosstown for 3 light-microseconds (i.e., 3 blocks) and uptown for 3 microseconds.  He was born at the beginning of his brief journey and dies at its finish.

As 3 microseconds are a distance in imaginary space, what is to be said of this person?  He was observed to live for 3 microseconds and to travel 3 light-microseconds. 

But from his own standpoint, he didn't live at all (okay, this part really has me :hm: ).  Going on...

This person existed in zero-time (the hypotenuse of the spacetime triangle -- I can reproduce that here, if anyone asks).

Did this person actually exist or not?  Could there be a particle which behaves in this manner? 

According to relativity he didn't go anywhere either, since according to his own reckoning he spent no time.

-*-

What is the particle this analogy refers to?   

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-02-02 13:52:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sort of like a snow globe that has been shaken and then layed to rest. Was the snow ever floating?

#3 2005-02-02 15:44:27

Mark Friedenbach

EDIT :: *REMOVED*

Eh, whooops.  I thought you were asking a question about the riddle.  I don't want to spoil the answer yet

#4 2005-02-02 15:54:28

C M Edwards

Hmm... 

It's either a photon moving in a Minkowski spacetime, or someone like me trying to get to work in the morning.

Not really sure which...

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

Board footer